• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twitch Plays Pokemon

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
To quote the FAQ from the page:

TwitchPlaysPokemon is a social experiment, it is a stream of the Gameboy version of Pokemon Red (151 romhack) running on an emulator. An IRC bot translates buttons said in chat into keypresses (simulated in software, no fancy typist robots).
So basically, there's a huge number of people attempting to play Pokemon Red by inputting commands through chat. They've been at it for over 5 days now, and it's going about as well as you can expect.

The stream link is below, feel free to discuss.

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

I've just been fully made aware of it today, but I heard they spent all yesterday trying to cut down the tree in front of Erika's gym. And for as long as I've been keeping an eye on the thread, they've been working on Rocket's Hideout. I'm not so much convinced that the game can be beaten this way, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong. It's an interesting concept, for sure.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Haha I've been watching this on and off for a few days now. I started watching when they were in Cerulean with like 10K people playing, and now it's shot up to over 80K. It's quite impressive to me that they've even made it as far as they have. Also, rip ABBBBBK ( :(

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
We've been in the Rocket HQ for days, we just finally made it to Giovanni (first encounter). Speaking of that here's what basically sums it up.

Last edited:

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Does anyone happen to have a death count on this run?

They just died to Giovanni. Epic 1 HP survival gone to waste.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Does anyone happen to have a death count on this run?

They just died to Giovanni. Epic 1 HP survival gone to waste.
I don't think so as it's impossible to be awake this long.

Also less than 14 minutes to the 6th day!

Edit: They can't even get back into the Game Corner, this is just too chaotic to watch.

Last edited:

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
I don't think it's being awake as much as it is keeping yourself from being driven mad by multiple factors.

That said, they made it back inside of the Game Corner. Now to await the rematch vs. Giovanni.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I've been following it since mid-Mt. Moon when there only was 2000 viewers and Moon Stone spam was the ****. Quite incredible how we peaked 100,000 viewers two days ago, it just becomes crazier and crazier.

Felt like a punch to the gut when they released ABBBBBBK ( and Jay Leno though. R.I.P.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I'm still surprised they could name a pokemon jay leno, or even release a pokemon. This whole democracy and anarchy thing is getting out of hand too

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If you haven't checked it seems we are trapped in the Pokemon Mansion, literally. It's sad. It would be hard to faint especially with both Bird Zeus and Pidgeot.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
After 16 days, 7 hours, 45-ish minutes, and some-odd seconds they actually beat the game.

[2/14/2014 4:59:16 PM] Travis: that'll take like 2 weeks to get to the elite four

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Nooooo I didn't saw it because I was sleeping, screw you sleep

Last edited:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I could never watch this for more than a couple minutes, but it's a very interesting idea.

When I first found out about it, I was amazed they already had the helix fossil. Then they started doing things I thought would take forever, like cutting trees and reaching Lt. Surge, I had to accept that it was just a matter of time after that.

The introduction of Democracy no doubt helped in some situations, but it's cool to see it was finished so quickly. I'm looking forward to seeing how long it takes to defeat Red in Gen 2.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Holy they are playing Pokemon TCG next. I don't even know how many hours I spent on that game but it was awesome!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I ended up staying up really late last night by accident but I'm glad I did because I got to see the end myself. I feel strangely optimistic about humanity after this whole experience.

I'm excited to see whatever second gen game we end up doing start up, I'm anxious to see how that goes in comparison. (At the very least, using HMs is going to be a breeze in comparison.) Hopefully there won't be too much of a loss in viewership.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I ended up staying up really late last night by accident but I'm glad I did because I got to see the end myself. I feel strangely optimistic about humanity after this whole experience.

I'm excited to see whatever second gen game we end up doing start up, I'm anxious to see how that goes in comparison. (At the very least, using HMs is going to be a breeze in comparison.) Hopefully there won't be too much of a loss in viewership.
I wonder what we will praise, also. Helix won't appear in it, so what would it be? Sudowodo, maybe? Anyone have any ideas.

Also they're playing Pokemon Diamond, not the real one, though. The fake rom hack made years before.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I wonder what we will praise, also. Helix won't appear in it, so what would it be? Sudowodo, maybe? Anyone have any ideas.

Also they're playing Pokemon Diamond, not the real one, though. The fake rom hack made years before.
I feel like we might end up worshipping one of the people whose number we have registered. I can't wait to see us call Youngster Joey at least a million times. We'll know plenty about that Rattata of his.

And yeah, they were playing the Diamond ROMhack, but I mean once they get through with all of the intermittent games and actually get on to the "next adventure," which is starting at 7 AM EST tomorrow.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh too bad :( The TCG was awesome.

The President and CEO of Sony made an amusing tweet:

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I feel like we might end up worshipping one of the people whose number we have registered. I can't wait to see us call Youngster Joey at least a million times. We'll know plenty about that Rattata of his.

And yeah, they were playing the Diamond ROMhack, but I mean once they get through with all of the intermittent games and actually get on to the "next adventure," which is starting at 7 AM EST tomorrow.
Hi rattata is top percentage, so he'll surely be worshiped. I can see the Pokegear as a whole being the thing everyone worships. Too bad there aren't any fossils in gen 2... There's no true challenging part, in gen 2, also. Since there's no area like the Rocket HQ or Route 9 in Johto.

Also yeah, I know that Pokemon Diamond is just a pass time, I was merely pointing it out for those who wanted to see.

finalark

SNORLAX
I believe this thread is relevant to my avatar, desktop and my interests.

I really hope they pick up a Gen 2 game next. I can't wait to see what sort of madness would come out of that.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
There's no true challenging part, in gen 2, also. Since there's no area like the Rocket HQ or Route 9 in Johto.
They have the ice sliding puzzles to look forward to. They will just cave in and switch to democracy if those become too much of a hassle though.

I'm looking forward to Twitch vs. Whitney's Miltank.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Ice Sliding puzzles are not that bad, its like 4 correct inputs to get past each. We had to do way harder in anarchy mode in RBY.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Aaand Crystal is go. With a new democracy/anarchy system, to boot. Basically, democracy activates at the top of every hour, but if an "anarchy" command gets voted above the rest, it goes back to anarchy until the top of the next hour.

So far, all we've seemed to be able to do is get trapped in our own house, get stuck on Route 29, and die a bunch of times.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Ah, Crystal my first pokemon game good times....
They have the ice sliding puzzles to look forward to. They will just cave in and switch to democracy if those become too much of a hassle though.

I'm looking forward to Twitch vs. Whitney's Miltank.
Yeah, rollout is going to destroy them thousands of times.

Also does anyone know the chosen starter?

Last edited:

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
We ended up with Totodile. No nickname. Trainer name is AJDNNW.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I see the trainer turning around and going nowhere a lot. It made me go grab my old gen 1 and 2 games and check it out. Looks like gen 2 was where the ability to press a direction to change where the trainer looks without walking was introduced.

This could be both a blessing and a curse.

Ah, Crystal my first pokemon game good times....

Yeah, rollout is going to destroy them thousands of times.

Also does anyone know the chosen starter?
Though because of the random nature of TPP, they could end up over leveled when they reach her. Their Totodile is already level 10 and they don't even have the egg, who knows, they may end up having little trouble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom