• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twitch Contributes Over $14,000 Towards Apex World Circuit

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
All this complaining... I'm pretty sure the decision was made with the majority of the community's thoughts in mind (If we had a poll with votes from virtually every user on this site I'm sure Melee would still win). I'd love to see Smash 4 support, hell I'm a Brawl player but it's clear that **** has been Melee-centric and that won't change.

Why shouldn't the game with the most entrants + followers get the majority of the pot money? Again I'd still love to see support for the others, but don't act like it doesn't make sense.

Wavebird

Smash Rookie
They should give a bigger incentive for people to play the new game.

Also it's not like the money is gonna be reinvested into the community the winner will most likely use it for his own needs.

It's not about killing a game is about giving a game a bigger shot than it's ever gotten. About building a new community.
Melee is not going nowhere and it's not a long term commitment so why not at least have smash4 be the main game at apex.

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
How: Because Twitch is one of the biggest, if not the single biggest, streaming site on the internet right now.

Why: Because they ****ing feel like it; they're a large company with money and they can literally do whatever they want with it.

Don't try to drag your video game politics into it.
100% This. They can donate to whichever district of a community they please.

@ Jack Kieser Jack Kieser You're like a child who complains that his brother got a new toy but you didn't. It's literally a gift from Twitch. Be grateful we even got it.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Twitch is an independent company that can do as it pleases with its money, and Apex Series is an independent series of tournaments that can do as it pleases with its events. Though despite your rampant inferences to the contrary, Apex is hosting all Smash games. Also of note, Smashboards has nothing to do with this deal, something that seems to have been missed by certain unpleased parties.

If you don't like that self-interested parties are acting in their own interest, make someone a better deal. Twitch doesn't have to support anything it doesn't want to, and as of right now Melee gets Twitch the most viewers so why would they not do this?

@ Jack Kieser Jack Kieser you're entitled to your opinion but you are not entitled to be a rabblerouser. Brawl vs. Melee conversations were banned long ago because of conversations like this, which you regularly were waist-deep in, and it should go without saying that 'Melee vs. Smash 4' arguments like this will not fly. Also, your absolute refusal to admit that Smash 4 has received the lion's share of Smashboards' coverage over the past few months (which it has) is personally offensive and makes it very clear to me you're walking around this conversation with blinders on.

Smashboards has no involvement with how major tournaments and other parties decide to use their influence. When Melee came along, Smashboards was not there to make that game succeed - it did that on its own accord. When Brawl came along, Smashboards did not have a plan to make that game succeed - it did (for a time). Now that Smash 4 has come along, we are here to foster its community and create a platform for new community leaders to take charge - but it is not possible, reasonable, or even our goal to use Smashboards as a platform to forcibly cause Smash 4 to succeed over all other games. We are a forum, not a political party.

It is no one's responsibility to make a new game succeed except the people who want it to, and if you're one of those people, go make it succeed. Your imaginary 'Melee Mafia' is nothing more than people who enjoy playing Melee, and have done nothing but further Melee - not, as you seem to think, sabotaged Smash 4. This conspiracy-theory nonsense has no place in this thread, and will not be tolerated past this point.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
it's like @ Jack Kieser Jack Kieser didn't even read where the $14,000 was going to, it's not even the main event but to each qualifier's prize pool (of which at least 3 of them can't even have Smash 4 in time)

Last edited:

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
The Derrit, with all due respect, I think it is more than just rabblerousing to be concerned at both how amounts of money topping fourteen thousand dollars is being procured and spent. Thank you for trying to set the record straight and be as transparent as possible, but under no circumstances do I think it is out of the ordinary, or irrational, OR ridiculous, to ask questions about amounts of money that large OR for the members of this board to discuss how our entire community handles issues like multithousand dollar endorsement and sponsorship deals. Especially considering how the likes per post play out in this thread; it seems like I wasn't the only one who had / has concerns about how money is used in tournaments.

If we want to be the big time eSport that we all CLAIM to want, then these discussions are not just important: they're crucial. So, if you'd like, we can take it to a dedicated thread (I'm guessing in one of the competitive forums, although I'm open to suggestions), but I think it's highly improper for a moderator of the forums to claim that it's not something to be discussed. This is not "conspiracy theory nonsense": it's people voicing a concern that money is being used improperly, and lots of money at that. So, if you'd like, please suggest a place where it's more appropriate to discuss the influence of large money in tournaments.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
No, it is not. Inferring that the forces that be are colluding to incite the sabotage of anything not Melee-related IS rabblerousing. Watch this.

Don't you think it's a little bit immature of those stinky no-good loudmouth pricks to be playing a stupid game like X? And those people sponsored it? Something seems amiss, don't you agree?

That's what you did. That's rabblerousing.

Twitch talked to the people behind Apex and decided to sponsor the series. There is literally nothing more transparent than that. THE HEAD OF THE APEX SERIES EVEN GAVE YOU A DIRECT ANSWER AS TO WHY THAT MONEY WAS NOT DIRECTED AT SMASH 4 IN THIS THREAD. If you still want to talk about 'behind closed doors' after that then there's not much to be done.

This has nothing to do with 'big time eSports' or some sort of 'entire community' issue - you're mad that someone was willing to give this much money to Melee. The fact that you would even go as far as to say 'money is being used improperly' exposes your bias in the most major of ways, and it's not subtle.

I won't say this again. This conspiracy-theory nonsense has no place in this thread, and will not be tolerated past this point.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The Derrit > the guy that runs Brawl item play tournaments and goes crazy when people disagree with him.

:rolleyes:

Besides that, there's clearly a certain company that is probably going to be very protective over Smash WiiU (Smash 3DS won't be a tournament game sans side events due to wireless interference, sorry; the inferior stage selection for tournaments hurts as well), and it's very clear that game has a bright future in terms of corporate backing from that same company for at least a good year.

Besides that, Smash WiiU isn't entitled to Melee's success. Let it grow to be its' own game, and let its' scene earn its' wings. If it's really a eagle, it can learn to fly like one without a measly $15,000 prize pool.

I hope the game is successful. All of us do. But to say that it automatically should be treated equally as an established competitive game that has generated Twitch a lot of $$$ is ludicrous.

Smash WiiU isn't even out yet, and people are acting like it can race in F1 when it hasn't even taken its' driving permit test.

Last edited:

S2

Smash Lord
As someone who does want Smash 4 to get a lot of support to foster it's community, even if Twitch wanted to put money towards Sm4sh too, the timing of when Apex's main event would make this hard.

The Wii U version isn't even out yet, it makes a lot more sense to sponsor Melee players since (I think) qualifier events start before Smash U even launches.

But yeah, when it comes down to money, it's up to Twitch. They can donate however they want to, they're the ones putting up the cash. The Apex tournament is also doing Sm4sh. I'm looking forward both to the Melee event and watching our first taste of competitive Smash U.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Melee is not going nowhere and it's not a long term commitment so why not at least have smash4 be the main game at apex.
If Smash WiiU's competitive community wants the main event slot over Melee's competitive community, it has to EARN IT!

How do you earn it=???

By being the game with the highest attendance, viewership, and interest, which Melee currently is.

You shouldn't close basically our "Olympics of Smash" as it has become (thanks to the APEX staff being amazing) with the newest game, you should close it with the most popular one.

The point is to earn ratings, have hype buildup to where people waiting for the most popular game will watch the other games (thus increase their viewership), and close with what will send the most people happy and what will leave the best impression.

That's how "events" work. The Rolling Stones don't play before some regional band at concerts after all, they go last, and they have gone last for several decades, because most people came to see them more so than the other bands. But because of the Stones and them going last, more people knew of those other bands afterwards. Everybody wins in this model, and it's worked for roughly an eon that way.

Edit: Also, in case I didn't make it known, SHAME ON YOU FEW who called out and questioned Alex Strife and the rest of the Apex staff, the Apex qualifying events' TO's and staff, and Scar like that, especially after an explanation was posted by Alex Strife. Grow up guys, and earn your scars.

Last edited:

Wavebird

Smash Rookie
If Smash WiiU's competitive community wants the main event slot over Melee's competitive community, it has to EARN IT!
By being the game with the highest attendance, viewership, and interest, which Melee currently is
why so hostile
It benefits everyone to have more than one strong community(game) look at evo every year a game gets the boot it doesn't necessarily mean the game was bad

I was all for supporting melee when it got reintroduced but feelt the community had grown up to do the same for other games(smash4)

I guess we still need companies like mlg to help support NEW GAMES just like they helped establish melee and brawl even if it's for a short time.
The more games we help establish the more beneficial it becomes for the whole fgc, melee ain't gonna transform into League of legends any time soon

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Okay first off congrats for this and I want to personally thank Twitch and Apex for this amazing gift.

Second the more I am on Smashboards the more the people and their posts make it seem like the anti-melee boards, especially in the smash4 forums.

I mean really if you want to see large sums of money thrown at your preferred game, go out, raise the money and donate it yourself. You are no different than the supposed "leaders" of our community. Upset at TOs? Be a TO and do things your way. Upset at sponsors? Get money and be a sponsor.

Finally I just have a quick question about Apex. Will Project M be streamed at Apex this year?

D

Deleted member 245254

Okay first off congrats for this and I want to personally thank Twitch and Apex for this amazing gift.

Second the more I am on Smashboards the more the people and their posts make it seem like the anti-melee boards, especially in the smash4 forums.

I mean really if you want to see large sums of money thrown at your preferred game, go out, raise the money and donate it yourself. You are no different than the supposed "leaders" of our community. Upset at TOs? Be a TO and do things your way. Upset at sponsors? Get money and be a sponsor.

Finally I just have a quick question about Apex. Will Project M be streamed at Apex this year?
I don't think I need to address the many reasons why your "advice" is flawed and ultimately not very helpful, but just know that it is as such.

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
I can't wait for Apex 2015! It will be my first tournament I will be traveling out of state to. It warms my heart to see Twitch helping out Melee and recognizing the efforts of the Melee Smash community. Too much hype to stop it all now! Let's live on!

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
I don't think I need to address the many reasons why your "advice" is flawed and ultimately not very helpful, but just know that it is as such.
Well what he said is correct so you kind of do. The established order didn't just magically appear one day - most veteran TOs and players have been doing this for the better part of a decade. If no one wants to step up in the Smash 4 community and get things moving, that's no one's problem.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I have to admit I was more concerned like some of the people in here. But what Alex said does make sense.

Even if Smash 4 isn't a main event this time (due to lack of qualifiers and minimal info on player rankings/standings), it wouldn't hurt to see SOME kind of little pot bonus.

No need for the Twitch numbers, but just a little incentive IMO. I can't say much or do much from here because I won't be travelling to another APEX until 2016 (just got a new car so saving and budgeting!), but that's my two cents at least. Looking forward to the intensity this year.

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
What I worry about is the Melee effect.
It is not our responsibility to make Smash 4 a success- Melee has earned it's place as an entertaining competitive game to watch, until 4 proves itself to be the same it won't get supported- which is the way things should be.

You seem to missing the point here- Nintendo solely started supporting the smash scene to sell its new product, and I for one am delighted that Melee will be at Apex.
I do hope for Smash 4's scene and metagame to grow in to itself soon but from what I've seen this game is quite boring to watch at the moment. I don't doubt that it will develop its own meta and quirks eventually but until then I can't help but view it as a cash-cow that Nintendo is exploiting us for, despite 'having taken the fans' opinions into account' and the whole it's not going to be Brawl 2 bs.

TO's shouldn't have to gamble on, or support, a bad game- nor is it their responsibility to develop it's scene or metagame.
'How will it grow/gain support?' when the fans, streamers and smaller tournaments have proven it deserves to.

Djent

Smash Champion
It is not our responsibility to make Smash 4 a success- Melee has earned it's place as an entertaining competitive game to watch, until 4 proves itself to be the same it won't get supported- which is the way things should be.
TO's shouldn't have to gamble on, or support, a bad game- nor is it their responsibility to develop it's scene or metagame.
#OneUnit

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
these are just for qualifiers wtf lol...i will announce pot bonuses later...please stop arguing over stuff like this its really silly.

Viking

Smash Rookie
This is amazing. And i really enjoyed the video. I cant wait for apex, im really trying to go ! it would be my first huge national

Armada

Smash Lord
What are some people talking about?
If TWITCH decides to sponsor MELEE is that something that is wrong?

If Redbull would throw in 1 million to sponsor Brawl that would be their decision. I feel that some people are getting way to upset over this for no reason.

The people at twitch (certain parts at least) really like Melee and it seems like they decided to spend THEIR money at this.

If people disagree with this, no TO for any qualifier would say no if you donated that kind of money.

I'm one of the TOs for Beast5 which also received a pot bonus for Melee, if some other company decides to sponsor us for Smash 4 all of that goes towards Smash 4 of course, and I'm already working on trying to get more sponsors for Melee and Smash 4.

The last thing you should do if someone sponsor you is trying to scam them, but I guess some people do not understand that

Top Bottom