• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twisted Fate Mafia [D3 BEGINS, DEADLINE: 3/8 at 11:59 PM EST]

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I was the jailer.

Jailed Ryker n1 and Xatres n2.

Wish I was more active at points and wish I didn't get night killed.

Wondering why I was nightkilled as well.
I posted this:
I think Corps should kill tonight. Xatres was the leader of the mislynch, I'm a very controversial slot, and Corps seems to be getting a townie pass by pretty much everyone but Maven.

J hasn't been playing like he's a PR (and he probably would have claimed PR if he was in his big "RIP town because you are mislynching me" post), I think that Ryker isn't an active PR (he's probably telling the truth because he wouldn't be willing to risk getting CC'd and revealing who two town PRs are), and if TSYK is a PR he wouldn't know how to properly use it anyways. That leaves us with the PRs probably being somewhere in the RR/Dastrn area (possibly J if he's just playing so that we think he's not a PR). The main problem right now is that if we go for Ryker tonight, he could be protected and we're twice as likely to get caught by a tracker, since both of or actions will be targeted on the lynch target. So our options from my perspective are:

1. NK Ryu, RB Dastrn
2. NK Dastrn, RB Ryu
3. NK Ryker, RB Ryker
4. RB J, NK Dastrn
5. RB J, NK Ryu
6. NK an active slot, RB Ryker the rest of the game to screw with town (we could suggest the idea that he might be a Mafia goon who knows there's no RB, and thus can safely claim it).

Also, I forgot about Maven. He's fairly inactive still, so I'm not that concerned at the moment (although he thinks of such odd scenarios that he could put this game together; I consider him more of a wild card). I say he lives for today, unless you want to get a guaranteed kill for the sake of decreasing town numbers and try to make a 3-phase game more probable.
And then Corps chose option #1.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Thoughts on players:

1) Ryker: pls be more active. pls read the game. pls do literally anything.

You had the power to save this game multiple times simply by reading and forcing the thread to interact with you. It was all you had to do to get the game to trust you and by that process alone you could get into the game more and force a different (honestly I think better) result. Instead, you rode your clear to getting endgamed. Especially with a much, much more interesting role that I would've loved to see your ride as your reason for playing hyper town.

2) Corps

I'll hide your name (though I did spoil it to the Green Room because you never mentioned it until after I had said something). I honestly thought that you were dead in the water the second someone stopped assuming you were town and looked at your posts. Your early stuff is something I catch scum on, your weird intro to Spak D2 that later turned into an unprompted unvote in the middle of the day would've looked fishy on reread and definitely after a Spak scumflip, your quick turn to playing armchair without ever really providing content was also suspect. But, **** it, you played well enough that nobody second guessed you until it was too late to do anything, so props to you on that.

3) The Man/Xatres

Thank you for replacing out, The Man. Thank you for replacing in Xatres. The fact that you quickly became the other lynch candidate for the day is both surprising to me (I thought you were playing the best in terms of your mates but PoE is a *****) and an overall testament to the lack of investigation that went on during the game. As much as I liked J's day 3 posts, you were never really caught on any major flaws in your play (though your brother read the **** out of your Ruy shot). It's just how it happened.

4) Maven

This is legitimately the worst I've witnessed you play...ever. Your general activity was some of the worst it's been, you already know about your weird **** measuring contest you got in with the entire cast, your track results never weighed once on your reads (would've looked very questionable on scrutiny albeit your assumption that the mafia took the Ninja was fair, even if it was unlikely given what you knew on your claim), and you homed in directly on J and Gheb, two players who definitely did not deserve their own lynches in my eyes and sat there until mafia lynched them for you. You need to reread this game. You need to look over everything that happened, everything that you helped accomplish, and learn from it.

5) Ruy

Inactive as ****, had a decent case but died for it to help set someone else up. Not much to say. Jailer targets were funny as **** though. IRL ****ed you and then you got ****ed in game.

6) Gheb

Legitimately, had you not lost motivation after Kantrip's mislynch, you would've been fine. I don't think leading a bad lynch killed you, I think it was your utter disinterest to do anything after the fact that town kind of defaulted to you, even if more sensible lynches were present. The entire scumteam was on your wagon at the end of that day. All it took was a little more effort and you would've been fine.

7) Kantrip

Honestly, I have no ****ing clue why you got lynched. I'm still confused as to that. Unfortunately, you barely got to play the game, and I disagreed with your lynch on top of it. No comments for you.

8) Spak

...eh? That's all I have to really say. Your played your standard scum game and once again, it was good enough to net you a win. You stuck around people's lynchpools but were never scummy enough to top them. I dunno how you keep getting away with it, but you've made this style work the past three times I've seen you draw scum, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

9) J

WHY DO YOU NOT PLAY LIKE YOU DID AT THE START OF D3 EVERY GAME THE WHOLE GAME. YOU WERE SO UNBELIEVABLY ON POINT SAVE FOR YOUR RANDOM CORPS TOWN READ. I WAS IN AWE WHEN YOU PULLED THAT RANDOM WIFOM QUESTION FOR DASTRN. IT BOTH OPENED HIM UP TO THE IDEA OF

sorry

Really though, I thought your Day 3 opening saved the game. You were right, but not only that, you were convincingly right and were asking the exact questions to get other people to see it. Getting Xatres lynched today would've probably snowballed the game into a town win had you pulled it off but instead, the alpha happened and the game ended on your head. It's unfortunate that you were forced into inactivity at the times you were, I was digging your play for the most part outside of your Corps townread and your agreement with a lot of his early stuff. That was almost an MVP performance cut short by a stray vote.

10) TSYK

Lack of activity, never accomplished much while here, stayed a question mark to most players and scum took advantage of that. There's a lot you can do to improve on your game, but saying words may just confuse you. Raw experience is what will help you the most I believe.

11) Dastrn

Legitimately, you tried. I think my one piece of advice is be more active with slots directly than just posing questions to the thread. Asking questions to no one in particular gets responses from no one in particular, asking questions to individuals either forces the individual to respond or gives you an avenue to put the heat on them. Other than that, you were the most directly clear townie in the thread.

12) SlickWylde

Funny, you drew IC again and scum learned from their mistake this time and shot you for it. Your lack of presence in the thread is alarming. You don't seem to be an aggressive player, so instead you just need to post volumes of comments. Make your presence known. Ask questions. If you don't think you can get into the dirty, there will be some asshole who will pick up the threads you're laying and run with it.

Thoughts on the game:

I'm not gonna mention the inactivity. You're all aware of that, however I think some of you did far better in limited posts than others did. I think the bigger issue is the lack of analysis that happened whatsoever. Nobody ever stopped to ask "why" on literally any of the major candidates. No one went back to ask why on anything. I disagreed with the first two lynches and the last one was an alpha, purely on the fact that I don't really comprehend why any of them were lynched. It just sort of happened because people basically said "yeh okay" to anyone with a plan and a resemblance of reason for it. I thought Kantrip's lynch was bad. Gheb and J were both lynched with the entire scumteam on their wagons. I legitimately believe with a little more effort for backtracking and looking at everyone with the same scrutiny (except actually mod confirmed Slick) and simply said "why" to some of the stuff they were doing would result in a vastly different game. That's what bothers me, not the inactivity.

:186:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
ALL OF THAT SAID

I am willing to run another open. I've got 11 set-ups I'd like to run, all of which are open or semi-open at the very worst (and none of them are your standard jailer/investigative/town/goon set-ups either), but I don't want a repeat of this game. If people are willing to sign up and actually give a damn, I will open the next game tomorrow. If nobody's gonna care, then I'm not gonna bother.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I am willing to run another open. I've got 11 set-ups I'd like to run, all of which are open or semi-open at the very worst (and none of them are your standard jailer/investigative/town/goon set-ups either), but I don't want a repeat of this game. If people are willing to sign up and actually give a damn, I will open the next game tomorrow. If nobody's gonna care, then I'm not gonna bother.
I'm probably gonna try sitting out for a bit. I've played Mafia almost constantly for a half year now, and I need to get away from the game for a month or two.

Anyways, great job Corps and Xatres, you guys are amazing. Aside from a minor miscommunication on the D2 lynch, I think we functioned really well together.

Victory music and then I'm off to bed:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I'm down, and I think I understand the group a lot better now, so I'll just ignore the "you don't know what you're doing" comments and discover for myself (bevause clearly we all have room to grow lol)

ThatSmasherYouKnow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
link12014
3DS FC
3883-6073-2419
I'm not sure if I'd sign up for that game. Xatres is holding a mini game for the newbies like me and I don't want to ruin another major game so, just put me up as a maybe.

ThatSmasherYouKnow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
link12014
3DS FC
3883-6073-2419
Also, this game had major effects on me irl. I felt less motivated to do my schoolwork and I started coming on here more often than doing my homework. So now I'm sitting here with a huge pile of work that's due tomorrow and instead of doing that I'm typing this. So, I think that in the future, I'll be more wise about the games that I join and when I join them Well, I'm gonna catch up on all this work I've been missing. I'll be around tomorrow hopefully. cya.

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
3) The Man/Xatres

Thank you for replacing out, The Man. Thank you for replacing in Xatres. The fact that you quickly became the other lynch candidate for the day is both surprising to me (I thought you were playing the best in terms of your mates but PoE is a *****) and an overall testament to the lack of investigation that went on during the game. As much as I liked J's day 3 posts, you were never really caught on any major flaws in your play (though your brother read the **** out of your Ruy shot). It's just how it happened.
Funnily enough, if you look in the scumchat, I was kinda trying to talk Corps and Spak out of shooting Ryu for that exact reason. Ultimately I probably would have gone with Ryker, and then let RR, Dastrn, and J each other alive.

ALL OF THAT SAID

I'll be throwing up a mini game for some newbies tomorrow as well. Any chance you could hold off for a few days so I can attract a few experienced players to act as teachers?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
ALL OF THAT SAID

Wait a bit before me thinks, like a week or 2 or 3.

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
Shout-outs!

@Corps phoenix - You definitely started the game strong, coming off pretty townie out the gate. I felt like you mostly coasted after that, staying under the radar the rest of the game. Not my particular style, but it worked well for you. You nearly screwed us twice, first by not checking the QT and voting Gheb D2, and then by shooting Ryu while I was trying to foster some discussion before pulling the trigger. BUT, it all worked out in the end.

Spak Spak - Opposite of Phoenix, I think you started the game shaky then pulled it together as the game went on. You were a great scummate, very communicative, and I had a good time teaming with you. I look forward to playing with you again.

Dastrn Dastrn - I was pretty sure you were would be on to me after the Gheb lynch, and I certainly knew I'd be getting some flak with RR out of the picture. As I said above, I was actually trying to talk Spak and Phoenix out of shooting RR before Phoenix jumped the gun. RR had been a scumlean for you all game, and he was the primary person pushing J at the end of D2, so killing him was extremely risky. --- As far as my overall strategy was concerned, I knew buddying up to so strongly would make you put me in the null pile, but I also knew that if I was town, I would have been equally sure of your towniness. As such, I happily hung out in your null pile as long as I could, content that I was pretty closely following my own town meta. The final push on J was a "go big or go home" maneuver. I knew I had no chance of convincing you to vote that way, and I knew it would likely draw your vote. But I also knew we needed to get wagons running if we wanted the chance to alphastrike. Overall, I think you played a good game but were plagued by some bad town chemistry. Your play style can be really effective with the right partners. And props on solving the game in the end. You had the three of us pegged.

#HBC | Ryker #HBC | Ryker - You probably should have been our D2 lynch, rather than Gheb. Laundry jumping in with the rules clarification pretty much screwed us out of that option, and I let Laundry know as much in our scumchat. I can only echo what others have said and lament that you didn't put more into the game. RL johns are real, though.

@#HBC | J - I meant what I said in my miniature case against you. I got the sense you only showed up when pressure was on you, and most of your posts felt like you were the grumpy old man coming to give us all a'learning. I still hate the way you phrase your views, and I think you are entirely too verbose in your try-hard cases. People will skim those dense paragraphs, and your points will not have the emphasis you want them to if you keep writing that way.

Maven89 Maven89 - I had you in the back of my mind as a player to watch out for, someone who could have either been an asset to scum or a threat. It didn't seem to me like your instincts were terrible, but more like (as with Dastrn) the town chemistry just wasn't right to bring out your strengths.

ThatSmasherYouKnow ThatSmasherYouKnow - Don't be too discouraged by this game. You are a learning, and I saw a marked improvement with the effort you made D3 and what we saw from you D1, D2, and in Turing Test. You need to work on your logical thinking and just play more games, and I think you'll be a fun player to have around.

~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ - You weren't supposed to die D2. That was meant for Ryker. I was actually prepared to bus Spak D2 when Dastrn asked me to look into you both, but I found I could build a stronger (though less accurate) case against you. Before reading my role PM, I actually had the gut feeling Spak was scum, but he did a good enough job deflecting D2 that the bus wasn't necessary. I think you let the Kantrip mislynch shake you too badly.

@Kantrip - One of these days you'll stop reacting so negatively to the mechanical, process-oriented play Dastrn and I employ. Apparently this was not the game for that.

#HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu - Sorry for the NK. Blame Phoenix!

#HBC | Laundry #HBC | Laundry - Thanks for hosting. This was a good setup, and I appreciate your hard work. I do have to reiterate my displeasure with you jumping in on the Ryker situation, and offer a tut tut for the vote count errors that kept popping up. If I have time, I'll sign up for your next game, but first I want to get this mini game off the ground for the new players.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
#HBC | Laundry #HBC | Laundry - Thanks for hosting. This was a good setup, and I appreciate your hard work. I do have to reiterate my displeasure with you jumping in on the Ryker situation, and offer a tut tut for the vote count errors that kept popping up. If I have time, I'll sign up for your next game, but first I want to get this mini game off the ground for the new players.
Ah, right, I should mention this: I absolutely did not want to do this under any circumstance, but felt forced to given the nature of the open set-up. All interactions between roles should have been public knowledge and it's my fault for not even including that information in the first place. From a timing perspective, it was a raw deal for you guys, but had I been prudent enough to edit the first post with the exact roles at the start of the game, that play would never have been on the table for you guys in the first place.

Last edited:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I'll be throwing up a mini game for some newbies tomorrow as well. Any chance you could hold off for a few days so I can attract a few experienced players to act as teachers?
Definitely, actually. I'm fine with giving it a few weeks and seeing how active people are around then. I'm pretty sure I know which set-up I intend to run next and, believe me, it should be just as enjoyable, if not infinitely more hilarious.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's true that I wasn't really motivated, especially after Kantrip flipped town and everybody seemed to insta-assume that I had to be scum for it. Town played pretty poorly in general, I don't think there's ever been that much misreading people going on between Maven, J and myself. Dastrn's methodical approach looked like it was just about to prove fruitful, only a tiny bit too late.

:059:

ThatSmasherYouKnow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
link12014
3DS FC
3883-6073-2419
It's true that I wasn't really motivated, especially after Kantrip flipped town and everybody seemed to insta-assume that I had to be scum for it. Town played pretty poorly in general, I don't think there's ever been that much misreading people going on between Maven, J and myself. Dastrn's methodical approach looked like it was just about to prove fruitful, only a tiny bit too late.

:059:
Yeah, sorry about that. Looking back that was a stupid decision. There were more factors at play and us just lynching you was a dumb move on town's part.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
#HBC | Ryker #HBC | Ryker - You probably should have been our D2 lynch, rather than Gheb. Laundry jumping in with the rules clarification pretty much screwed us out of that option, and I let Laundry know as much in our scumchat. I can only echo what others have said and lament that you didn't put more into the game. RL johns are real, though.
It was ENTIRELY possible to lynch me. I simply knew public mechanics. Everyone accepted me as clear because I knew something anyone could've asked the mod about. I wasn't about to say anything about it, but holy cow, that was a free pass based on nothing.

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
It was ENTIRELY possible to lynch me. I simply knew public mechanics. Everyone accepted me as clear because I knew something anyone could've asked the mod about. I wasn't about to say anything about it, but holy cow, that was a free pass based on nothing.
Most roleblockers don't affect passive/reactive abilities. No one would have even thought to ask the mod about it beforehand. The fact that you had this information, then the mod confirmed it was true, was what cleared you. I won't qq too much about it, though, cause we still pulled off the win.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If I didn't target you as a jailer I would have been more skeptical of your claim.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Most roleblockers don't affect passive/reactive abilities. No one would have even thought to ask the mod about it beforehand. The fact that you had this information, then the mod confirmed it was true, was what cleared you. I won't qq too much about it, though, cause we still pulled off the win.
Seems an opportune thing to ask as scum roleblocker though.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Here's the scumchat:

Album:
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4

Also, tell me if the magnify button isn't working for you. It's not working for me, Photobucket has gotten worse (from buggy to buggier) since the last time I posted scumlogs, and I'm wondering if I need to get an account on a different website.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'm creating an imgur account and the "are you a robot" text was a door with "666" on it.

That's a good sign, right?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, it looks like Imgur turned it into a JPG and compressed the images. Now they look bland and gross...

Oh well, at least it displays a zoomed-in picture.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Imgur worked.

Good read. Good job, ya'll.

Spak, I like that even in the scumchat, you were mentioning that the inactivity bothered you, even though it was playing well towards your win condition. #respect

Top Bottom