• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twisted Fate Mafia [D3 BEGINS, DEADLINE: 3/8 at 11:59 PM EST]

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719

"First rule about gamblin', boys: it's only a fair game if you make it one."

Last edited:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Fundamentals
1. Disputes with and private questions for me should be handled through PM or instant messaging. If you notice that I have made a simple mistake or if you have a simple question, please address them in the thread in bold.
2. Dead men tell no tales. Once you have died in the game, you are dead (unless, later, I tell you you're not). Dead players are not allowed to make any more posts in the thread for any reason whatsoever unless otherwise stated in your role PM. No communication about this game is allowed with non-players or players who are dead, even if you yourself are dead. (If you are dead, you may not discuss the game with anyone who is currently playing, even if you could while you were alive.) If someone is breaking the rules and posting in a Night Phase, please don't be a dink and post saying "don't post in the Night Phase", as I will punish you for that post. Just PM me if you think there is an issue.
If you are dead, you can visit the green room by clicking here.
3. Unless your role PM specifically allows you the power, you are not to communicate with anyone about this game outside of this game thread. This includes posting content outside of the game thread and linking to it in the game thread. If your role PM does allow you this power, you are to post all conversations in a quick topic. Copy paste instant messages. They're amusing. This includes hydra logs; any private information remains private and must be paraphrased. I repeat, DO NOT COPY PASTE ANYTHING, including your own private hydra logs.
4. Editing your posts is not allowed.
5. I reserve the right to deny anyone from signing up/replacing.
6. Personally attacking another player is not allowed.
7. You are not allowed to quote any mod communication of any kind, real or fake, to anyone. You must paraphrase all information you wish to claim. You are not allowed to post or refer to any images or text (including color) in your role PM, nor may you post metadata about mod PMs in an attempt to break the game (e.g., message ID in the URL, time of day the message was sent, etc.). The same rules apply to hydra logs, masonries, and any other form of non-forum communication.
8a. Do not attempt to post generally unreadable or hidden text, as by changing the text color to match or resemble the page background. (Spoiler tags are allowed because they are easily noticeable. If a player in the game has issues with your text color, you must change it upon request regardless of the reason of said request. This rule is not meant to disallow breadcrumbing within the visible text of a message.)
9. You may not use ciphers, encryption, or similar techniques.
10. You must post in English when typing a post. Siento, Rajam.
11. Assuming your role PM does not say otherwise, breaking any sort of posting restriction will result in a punishment of having a MOD vote on you, meaning you take one less to lynch for that period. These punishments can never kill you alone, but one vote and many punishments can. These votes may or may not disappear at the end of a phase, depending on the mod's thoughts of you being a repeat offender. Do not break posting restrictions.
12a. Hydras, if in the game, must post in their Hydra accounts. This is so other players can easily review their posting history. All mistakes will be dealt with via a punishment from the mod. There will be NO warnings for this. All hydras must have the name of both players located in the bio information (location or custom title).
12b. If a Hydra makes a mistake, they must immediately post in the Hydra account using the exact same wording as the previous post. If someone posts inbetween them, they are SOL.
13. All the rules in this post are constant, but powers and statements by the mod in a role PM can trump them. If you feel the mod has told you something that conflicts with the rules above, please check with the mod. He will always side with a private communication rather than these rules.

Voting and Lynching
1a. Each Day, you may vote for a player to be lynched using a bold vote command. For example, vote: Inui.
1b. Do not hide your vote in the middle of a post; make an effort to put it outside of text to help me find them when I'm scanning through the thread. This will prevent MOD errors.
2. To unvote, use the command unvote. For example, unvote vote: Xyro would have you voting for Xyro rather than Inui. You do not have to unvote to switch who you are voting for.
3. No lynch is a viable lynch choice and a majority will end the Day without a lynch. For example, vote: No Lynch.
4. The Day will end when a majority lynch is decided or a pre-set deadline has been reached. If deadline is reached without a majority lynch decided, there will be no lynch.
5. After the majority lynch has been decided but before the lynch scene is posted, there will be a Twilight phase. Twilight does not have a predetermined length. Everyone can post in this phase, including the lynch majority target. After the lynch scene is posted, the game will move to Night.
6. There is no posting in this thread during the Night phase. Doing so will result in a punishment by the moderator for the following Day. There is a brief window that can be considered an acceptable accident, but forgetting to check the thread before posting is not acceptable. Do not abuse this.

Activity and Deadline
1. You are required to post every 48 hours. If you fail to do so, you will be prodded. An accumulation of too many prods over the course of the game (however many I think that is) will result in your punishment, replacement or a modkill depending on the circumstances. When feasible, I will tell you if I'm considering replacing/modkilling you. If you will be inactive for an extended period of time, you must notify me in advance. Unexcused or particularly long absences may result in your replacement or modkill. There will be no replacements after D4 has started except in extreme circumstances; if the person can post on smashboards, they won't be replaced. Please remember you can PM me privately to let me know if someone needs to be prodded.
2. We will normally have strict day cycles set to 7 days in real life. The town must stay active and be willing to punish inactive players if they hope to succeed.
3. I do not expect to grant deadline extensions, barring extenuating circumstances. In the event I need to replace a player, I may extend the deadline to accommodate the new player. Certain game events may also result in a change of deadline.
4. Nights will generally last approximately 48 hours. If you have a Night action and do not wish to use it, please send me a PM to that effect, lest I have to wait until the deadline for naught. Should a Night last longer than 48 hours, this does not necessarily mean you have extra time to send in a Night action; this will be left up to the moderator's discretion, but do not expect your action to go through.

Player List
1. #HBC | Ryker
2. Corps Phoenix
3. The Man from Delamar
4. Maven89
5. ASC | Red Ryu
6. Gheb_01
7. Kantrip
8. Spak
9. #HBC | J
10. ThatSmasherYouKnow
11. Dastrn
12. SlickWylde

Replacements
1. Vult Redux

Last edited:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
The Set-Up

The central idea of this game is taken from MafiaScum's open set-up Stack the Deck. For those too lazy to click the link, the premise is simple: as mafia picks PRs for themselves, they give PRs to town, effectively giving power for as much as they take. I have, however, made some modifications to the set-up listed here to fit DGames' sensibilities a bit better. As a result, this is how the set-up will look for the game:

The Basic Set-up said:
2 Mafia Goons
1 Mafia Traitor
9 Vanilla Town
Before the game begins, Mafia has 48 hours to pick from a pool of modifications that I have listed below. They can pick up to 3 of these modifications, but no more than that. Should the mafia elect not to recruit the traitor, the traitor gains a 1-shot bulletproof.

Mafia Modifications said:
Turn Mafia Traitor into Recruited Mafia Goon
Turn Mafia Night Kill into Janitor on Even Nights
- On every even night, the mafia's night kill will hide the target's alignment and role upon successful shot. This information will be revealed to mafia privately upon shot and town publicly at the end of the following day phase.
Turn Mafia Goon into a Roleblocker - Targets 1 player per night. Upon successful target, that player cannot use his action during the night phase. Neither player nor Roleblocker are informed if their action succeeded.
Turn Mafia Goon into a Role Cop - Investigates 1 player per night and gets the result of "Player is X"
Turn Mafia Goon into a Ninja - Player is immune to tracks.
Upon completion of the mafia's selection of modification, town receives 2-5 PRs randomized from the list below. This number is determined by the number of modifications that mafia has made (ex. mafia makes two modifications, town gets +2 PRs for a total of 4). Reception of these PRs is randomized amongst the list of vanilla townies and will be received between N0's end and D1's start. If you do not receive a message stating that your role has been altered in this time frame, your role will remain as Vanilla Town.

Town Modifications said:
Goon Cop - Investigates 1 player per night and gets the results of "Goon" or "Not Goon"
Tracker - Investigates 1 player per night and gets the result of "Targeted X" or "Targeted No One" [NB: Ninja Track gets the secondary result]
Jailer - Targets 1 player per night; upon successful target, protects the player from Night Kill and roleblocks the player.
Adrenaline Vigilante - Shoots 1 player; upon successful mafia kill, gains another shot
Innocent Child - Alignment of the player is announced at the start of the Day 1
Bodyguard - Targets 1 player per night; should the target be shot during the night, the bodyguard will intercept the shot and die instead.
Restless Spirit - Upon this player's death, he or she will reanimate for one additional Day Phase. The player will retain the capability to vote in thread but their presence will not count towards majority (i.e., if 7 players alive+ghost, majority would still be 4 votes rather than 5 required for 8 alive). The player may also post but only in images and he or she cannot quote the posts of other players. Should the mafia meet their win condition prior to reanimation, the game will still end.
The rest of the town is Vanilla Town with no additional abilities beyond their voice and vote.

[NB: I reserve the right to edit the set-up prior to launch should I notice any glaring holes.]

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Plant us really dumb in this set-up because it is in no way more beneficial than any mafia role. Ninja in a game with no tracker is better because it gives you the security that you cannot be tracked. Plant is actually more likely to **** with town.

I would also make actor a double voter kr an odd day double voter. Actor is primarily used as a way to make the role have to do something possibly scummy for the benefit of the double vote on a role that could possibly be scum. Actor can act as scummy as he wants and is cleared so long as he has a double vote. Double voting in general is essentially a buffed version of Inno Child that kicks in on D2.

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
I'mma go ahead and ask quite a bit of questions. I don't like bein' in the dark when it comes to the games I play, so better to ask than to not haha.

So if mafia takes the option to recruit the traitor, and give themselves a single pr, does town have four of them seven pr's? And that's the maximum they can have right?

Is town informed of whether or not the traitor is recruited?

Is this basically semi open, wherein the town don't know what mafia chose and mafia don't know what town has, but those are the options?

I think Actor and Plant are a little flawed because they have surefire ways of provin' themselves by their own accord. Innocent Child makes sense since that's the crux of its bein'. But all the actor's gotta do is nail himself a proper hammer to prove that he's definitely town and plant's just gotta make somebody trigger in order to prove that he's definitely town. The other roles work excellent in this setup since they ain't just gonna immediately prove innocence on their own; they gotta earn it. But that's just my two cents, take it as it is. This is an excellent lookin' setup and I'm game.

/in

Last edited:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
So if mafia takes the option to recruit the traitor, and give themselves a single pr, does town have four of them seven pr's? And that's the maximum they can have right?
No. For convenience's sake, I'll chart it:

Mafia takes 0 mods, town has 2 PRs. Mafia takes 1 mod, town has 3 PRs. Mafia takes 2 mods, town has 4 PRs. Mafia takes 3 mods, town has 5 PRs. That is the utmost limit due to the roles modifying goons and traitors not being allowed. I am considering removing one of the roles in favor of another means of modifying mafia's capabilities but outside of day speaking, which the original open ran, but I haven't thought of one at this moment.

Is town informed of whether or not the traitor is recruited?
Originally I said no, but I'm rethinking that at the moment.

Is this basically semi open, wherein the town don't know what mafia chose and mafia don't know what town has, but those are the options?
Actually, yes. I hadn't considered it as such but it is.

I think Actor and Plant are a little flawed because they have surefire ways of provin' themselves by their own accord. Innocent Child makes sense since that's the crux of its bein'. But all the actor's gotta do is nail himself a proper hammer to prove that he's definitely town and plant's just gotta make somebody trigger in order to prove that he's definitely town. The other roles work excellent in this setup since they ain't just gonna immediately prove innocence on their own; they gotta earn it. But that's just my two cents, take it as it is. This is an excellent lookin' setup and I'm game.
That's fair. Those are conveniently the roles I was the most concerned about and tacked them on just to get the sign-ups started, so I'm definitely looking to change those.

:186:

Last edited:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Click the link in the set-up post if you don't quite understand it. I just edited said post in order to be a bit more clear as there have been enough questions on how it works for me to believe that I haven't given the greatest explanation on its mechanics.

Last edited:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I have also edited the list of town roles.

I liked the notion of a doublevoter but couldn't think of one that wouldn't confirm itself upon revealing it had a second vote, regardless of the phase. Restless spirit is the solution to that problem--it influences the game in a very similar way that a doublevoter thanks to giving town an additional vote during a point where they wouldn't otherwise have one. The key difference is that this role does so only after a player has died, therefore making confirming their alignment effectively moot. The only things I want to confirm are whether or not the player's presence influences majority and if the game should end if the player could revive.

Bodyguard was selected as a failsafe in the randomizer. Set-ups without the jailer and with mafia electing for all 3 modifications looked brutal, so I wanted a secondary protective role; however, ones with jailer+secondary protective role seemed just as brutal but for the other alignment. Bodyguard seemed like a perfect answer as a failsafe.

Considering other effects for mafia but the game may go live just like this.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Janitor sucks if town doesn't get a role that can reveal the flip at a later point.

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I mean, Janitor just plain sucks in general but if you give town a role that can reveal the flip at a later point it becomes bearable. Or make it so the Janitor can't hide the N1 flip. That is pretty much the most important piece of information beyond the D1 lynch. But a regular Janitor with no direct 'counter' should not be used.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I agreed with you, Gheb, on top of finding the janitor as an odd option amongst the group. From my point of view, it was probably the weakest one to take--ninja is a good solo option regardless of whichever of the others you take while roleblocker and role cop have solid synergy together should the mafia find a PR early in the game. Recruiting the traitor is also another good idea just for coordination purposes. The janitor, on the other hand, accomplished one thing and then it was ultimately useless over the course of the game and with roles being public information in this game, it's hard for the janitor to be that useful.

Right now, I've turned it into a modification to the mafia night kills on even nights--with the information that gets hidden being revealed at the end of the following day phase. This feels a bit more fair and balanced and doesn't turn into a random immunity to goon cop for a one-shot role. There is, admittedly, strong synergy with the ninja, but I ultimately find that to be okay as the ninja feels like it needs some other reason to be taken other than the pure informative immunity.

EDIT: Should there be no complaints and I find no issues, we'll probably go live with this variant once sign-ups complete.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'll join this if you guarantee that people that regularly replace out will not be allowed to play.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I'll join this if you guarantee that people that regularly replace out will not be allowed to play.

Who would you consider those players to be? I haven't played as much recently so I dunno if the stigma for certain people has change. Regardless, I do intend to keep these players out of the game.

#HBC | Gorf #HBC | Gorf I don't see your own "/in", get in this game.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
wait a minute

**** (forced sexual intercourse)

if thats censored and douche isnt im gonna flip out

edit WOOOOOOOOAH

Last edited:

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
Oh man, the bae is here.

What have you been up to?
I like your avatar. did you actually play that game though??? I didn't think jrpgs was your thing.

my life is boring but I'm still smart and cute

do you want to host a pyp with me instead of riddle?? i like you better now. it's similar to the setup I ran ~ 6 years ago but 10x better. i've been sitting on the setup for years now waiting for riddle to host it with me

oh my god I've been called out

/in as a replacement because I'm a good sport

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Lol, JRPGS have been my thing since about age 4.

I would run it with you, but when it comes to running games, I mostly help to design and balance. I am ABSOLUTELY AWFUL at keeping a thread updated like a good mod. That's why i always have a co-mod.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I'm down.

Winner buys dinner, paypal for payment.

P.S. I like Italian.
I like italian too, I will take a pesto fettuccine. What happens if neither of us gets lynched D1 though?

Well, it shouldn't be too hard, I'll just make a sloppy read list and everyone will be on my tail in a matter of minutes. :awesome:

Top Bottom