• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twin Kindergarten Ninjas of Diamond City - Kat & Ana for Smash Ultimate DLC

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
I think a faster version of their Assist Trophy attack would work fine for their Final Smash. As long as it gets a little more killing power, though. The AT version did a lot of damage, but it couldn't really kill.

EDIT: Also, I just had a thought about how a reveal trailer might go for them. It could be in the artstyle of WarioWare Gold, and Wario could be looking up info about the Smash Ultimate tournament. Then he sees the reward for winning, and goes mad with greed. But then he considers that he might not win, so to get the best shot at winning, he considers calling his friends, because two fighters in the tournament have twice the chance of winning. He starts to consider each of his friends in turn (with his thoughts visible), with a red X appearing over the ones who can't fight. He briefly considers Ashley, but then imagines her giving him a cold refusal. He then considers Cricket and Mantis, but then realises that Mantis would probably rather be off doing his own idea of "training", and Cricket would follow him. The only candidate left is Kat & Ana, so he calls them up immediately. Cue their entrance animation on the battlefield (maybe not actually Battlefield, though. Assuming there will be no new stages, perhaps Suzaku Castle? It's kinda ninja-ish in design) and then there's the usual montage where they show off their moves.

Just a dumb idea I had, anyway.

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Also, I just had a thought about how a reveal trailer might go for them. It could be in the artstyle of WarioWare Gold, and Wario could be looking up info about the Smash Ultimate tournament. Then he sees the reward for winning, and goes mad with greed. But then he considers that he might not win, so to get the best shot at winning, he considers calling his friends, because two fighters in the tournament have twice the chance of winning. He starts to consider each of his friends in turn (with his thoughts visible), with a red X appearing over the ones who can't fight. He briefly considers Ashley, but then imagines her giving him a cold refusal. He then considers Cricket and Mantis, but then realises that Mantis would probably rather be off doing his own idea of "training", and Cricket would follow him. The only candidate left is Kat & Ana, so he calls them up immediately. Cue their entrance animation on the battlefield (maybe not actually Battlefield, though. Assuming there will be no new stages, perhaps Suzaku Castle? It's kinda ninja-ish in design) and then there's the usual montage where they show off their moves.

Just a dumb idea I had, anyway.
I like it, it's something that fits with WarioWare and I love the idea of emulating Gold's cutscenes before Kat and Ana show up. Plus points if Martinet's get's to extensively voice Wario again, like in Gold.

Speaking of WarioWare Gold, this week's Famitsu sales charts put the game at a total of 90.121 units sold so far, in Japan, pretty much the same as in the Media Create charts.

We still don't know anything about total western sales so far, but considering the general decline of 3DS software sales the game really isn't doing horribly, especially since WarioWare is the kind of game that relies on having decent legs over the course of it's life, rather then massive early sales.

Last edited:

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
Leaving aside Kat & Ana support, I'd like to see other characters from the WarioWare series inside the game. For the moment we have Ashley as an Assist Trophy and 5-Volt & Jimmy-T as Stage Hazards (Jimmy-T probably comes back in the minigame of taunts in the WarioWare Inc. stage), but i really want another characters in the game, like Mona, Jimmy-T, Orbulon, Dribble & Spitz, Crygor, Penny, etc, even if one of them became a playable character.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Oh totally, I'd love nothing more then for the larger Ware cast to get more love, including in Smash. They could make Mike a newcomer against all odds and I'd gladly main him until the end of time.

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
At least I would like 3d models for the trophies in the vault, It would be interesting to see something similar to what we saw with Ashley and Kat-Ana

by the way, we reach the fifth page of the thread in three weeks, i guess i's a good support for the twins

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think pages fly by when there's more reason for it, like for Shantae with the nindies direct we went through 5 pages probably in hours around that time :p

Kat & Ana aren't in the limelight, but a lot of characters that people don't think about being possible aren't. I'm glad more people are noticing them, even if some of it is because ashley didn't make it, and that could change drastically if they happen to be in the game :D

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
While Ashley was (and still is) my most wanted WarioWare character, I'd still love for Kat & Ana to make it in. I support.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
I really want to see the look on the Ashley fans' faces when Kat & Ana get announced instead of Ashley. They had a really deluded mindset that made it seem like she was literally the only possible WarioWare candidate, but in reality, she was never that likely to begin with. Jimmy, Mona, 9-Volt, and Kat & Ana all had a larger chance than her from the start. The fans just never faced the facts.

It's a shame really. If it wasn't for that deluded mindset, we'd be seeing much more support for the other characters, and in the case of another character getting announced, the reveal would be less "WTF?" and much more hype. Now if Sakurai does intend to reveal one of them, it's going really to be hard to do in a way that gets the audience excited. The fanbase might feel like they were robbed somehow.

In fact, maybe that's what Sakurai was going for when he deconfirmed Ashley last Direct. He knew that if he revealed another WarioWare character while Ashley was still in the running, it'd cause a massive amount of backlash comparable to what happened with the Waluigi fans. But deconfirming Ashley early on, while it will cause a bit of backlash to begin with, the fans would eventually calm down, making it much easier to reveal another WarioWare character with at least a few of the fans understanding. This might even explain why Ashley was literally the only revealed AT in the Direct that did not have a nametag at the bottom of the screen. She could have very well been planned for another Direct, but Sakurai instead chose to just shove her in at the last minute to make a future WarioWare character reveal easier.

That's just my theory, anyway. It might not be correct, but even so, I do think it raises the chances that another WarioWare character will be revealed before launch. Possibly even in the next Direct.

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I also want to add that while Ashley has the loudest and most visible following, I really do think that people tend to underestimate how well liked the rest of the Ware cast is, especially among those that play WarioWare.

I mean just look at the general reactions towards Gold, how people react to the cutscenes and voice acting or the amount of fan works or RP blogs for the Ware cast that have come up since Gold's release. Really, Ashley doesn't stand out that much when you look at how people react to Gold, with the Volts, Mona or Orbulon for instance getting a ton of attention and love.

Of couse none of that translates into support for Smash, but my point is that Ashley isn't the only one people pay attention to and that the other Ware characters have appeal and are liked by most people into WarioWare, besides those that only care about Ashley and nothing else Wario-related for some reason.

They may not be highly requested, but as I said before, if Sakurai saw potential in anyone in the Ware cast then I'm sure he would use them and not just limit himself to Ashley, we have even seen that before in Brawl with the Kat & Ana AT, heck, Jimmy got a bigger appearence in Brawl then Ashley as well.

People act as if Ashley was the only choice ever, but she never was and I doubt that Sakurai sees it like that either, if he wanted to add a WarioWare newcomer.

Last edited:

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
I definitely agree that Ashley is not the be-all-end-all of WarioWare characters. Pretty much the whole charm of the series is the diverse range of quirky characters, each with their own shtick, and each of them well-liked by the community for different reasons. It's just that Ashley fans are way too vocal when it comes to the Smash scene, it can cause some skewed viewpoints.

And that really is a shame, since most of the other characters could still be creative fighters in Smash. 9-Volt could be a really creative fighter who fights with elements from classic Nintendo games. Mona or Jimmy could be bizarre fighters who borrow elements from the microgames for a unique moveset. Kat & Ana are obvious. Dr. Crygor could use some of his wacky inventions to fight with. Dribble & Spitz could be an unorthodox duo character that might be able to make use of their taxi in some way. Orbulon could also be a wacky fighter with all his alien tech and generally bizarre design.

All this raw potential in the WarioWare cast, and the vocal majority is obsessed with Ashley? I just have to express my disappointment in these people.

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
I have no problem with Ashley, it's my favorite character after Kat-Ana and Dribble-Spitz. I think the problem with Ashley are the bunch of people in their fan community obsessed with her. I remember one time when Ashley's popularity was at the beginning of her popularity and Sakurai post in the Miiverse comunity forums an image of Ashley when SSB4 games were still in development, when sakurai clarified that she was an AT, it generated a huge chaos in the comunity. When i proposed the Twins after the image post, saying that ashley replaced them so they could become playable characters. most messages wanted to contradict me saying things like "Ashley is the best, they were cut off of the game", "Ashley is the only character in warioware with a potential moveset, so i doubt it", or messages like "It's imposible that a literally 'who' become playable above ashley". It seems that those who claim to be "Warioware Fans" only see their eyes limited to Ashley an only talk about her, whe the real fans that maybe felt bad with the Ashley's AT in SSBU, they are grateful that she didn't removed from the game or replaced (as it happens with some characters like resetti), and contemplate the posibility of another Warioware character as playable characters, most of them for Mona or Jimmy-T, which aren't bad.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm glad that you feel strongly about Kat & Ana, and the rest of the warioware crew, but Ashley is still the most popular, so it makes sense that people thought she'd be in. And I'd like her too, and I don't think we should downplay her or her chances. But I'm glad that the attention spread elsewhere too because Mona and Kat & Ana are my favorites. :)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I have no problem with Ashley, it's my favorite character after Kat-Ana and Dribble-Spitz. I think the problem with Ashley are the bunch of people in their fan community obsessed with her. I remember one time when Ashley's popularity was at the beginning of her popularity and Sakurai post in the Miiverse comunity forums an image of Ashley when SSB4 games were still in development, when sakurai clarified that she was an AT, it generated a huge chaos in the comunity. When i proposed the Twins after the image post, saying that ashley replaced them so they could become playable characters. most messages wanted to contradict me saying things like "Ashley is the best, they were cut off of the game", "Ashley is the only character in warioware with a potential moveset, so i doubt it", or messages like "It's imposible that a literally 'who' become playable above ashley". It seems that those who claim to be "Warioware Fans" only see their eyes limited to Ashley an only talk about her, whe the real fans that maybe felt bad with the Ashley's AT in SSBU, they are grateful that she didn't removed from the game or replaced (as it happens with some characters like resetti), and contemplate the posibility of another Warioware character as playable characters, most of them for Mona or Jimmy-T, which aren't bad.
Yeah. It's upsetting when that happens. But, at least Kat & Ana (and other WarioWare characters) have better chances thanks to Ashley being an AT again.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Earlier today, I made a topic over on GameFAQs about potential WarioWare candidates, complete with a poll featuring all the OG characters. The results were unsurprising (Mona won by a landslide, followed by Jimmy, then 9-Volt, then Kat & Ana, then Dribble & Spitz, then Orbulon, then Crygor, and Fronk was dead last). However, it wasn't the results I wanted to bring up. It was some of the posts that followed. We were just talking about how people seemed to be obsessed with Ashley, and these guys took it to the next level. Plenty of them were like "If we couldn't get Ashley, what makes you think we'd be satisfied with these morsels?". Many of them said they had no moveset potential. One of them even said that WarioWare didn't deserve any more reps full stop.

This is why I'm really peeved with the fanbase. This "Ashley or bust" mindset has been taken way too far. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if literally every WarioWare character other than her got in, just to spite these toxic fans. I would have been perfectly fine with her inclusion in literally any other situation, but seriously. Way to give your requested character a bad name. This is worse than the Waluigi fans.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Earlier today, I made a topic over on GameFAQs about potential WarioWare candidates, complete with a poll featuring all the OG characters. The results were unsurprising (Mona won by a landslide, followed by Jimmy, then 9-Volt, then Kat & Ana, then Dribble & Spitz, then Orbulon, then Crygor, and Fronk was dead last). However, it wasn't the results I wanted to bring up. It was some of the posts that followed. We were just talking about how people seemed to be obsessed with Ashley, and these guys took it to the next level. Plenty of them were like "If we couldn't get Ashley, what makes you think we'd be satisfied with these morsels?". Many of them said they had no moveset potential. One of them even said that WarioWare didn't deserve any more reps full stop.

This is why I'm really peeved with the fanbase. This "Ashley or bust" mindset has been taken way too far. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if literally every WarioWare character other than her got in, just to spite these toxic fans. I would have been perfectly fine with her inclusion in literally any other situation, but seriously. Way to give your requested character a bad name. This is worse than the Waluigi fans.
It's that kind of mentality that soured me on Ashley in general, not just in terms of Smash, but in general.

Seriously, Wario has such a colorful and diverse cast of characters, between Ware, Land and even something like Wario's Woods and it just baffles me that all that some ever want to pay attention to is this one gothic loli.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Yeah. Sometimes, obsession with a character goes too far. I can't believe that people can't see the potential in many great characters because they are obsessed with some goth loli. I agree that the "Ashley or bust" mindset has gone too far.

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
One of my reasons why i want Kat & Ana in SSBU besides being my favorite characters, is the fact that they could adapt more in the ecosystem of SmashBros because they have precisely weapons, they have even been seen fighting in the cinematics of the game. Also you know Sakurai likes to put Sword characters in the game because of its versatility. But with his wit and creativity, they could put anyone he likes.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I've heard others say that GameFaqs is a pretty bad place in general, so don't let that place taint your look of fans. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that like warioware and aren't weirdly negative like that. Though of course there's people like that.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
It's been over a week since I posted this poll on /r/Wario and I felt like sharing the results. Before that, I should clarify how I set up this poll

For starters, I kept Wario out since I only wanted to just know who was the most popular of his original cast members. All the paired characters I split up, so Dribble & Spitz, Mantis & Cricket, and Kat & Ana each take up their own seperate slot. I also made this with the "choose all that apply" method of voting. The mistake I made on that front was not specifying this methof in the poll or in the Reddit title, just in the comments. I also forgot to add Red which is a shame since I have no idea where he would place.

The only place I shared this information to was the Warioforums Gold Discussion Channel and now here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wario/comm...ite_characters_from_warioware?sort=confidence

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's been over a week since I posted this poll on /r/Wario and I felt like sharing the results. Keep in mind that there are some choices and mistakes I made.

For starters, I kept Wario out since I only wanted to just know who was the most popular of his original cast members. All the paired characters I split up so Dribble & Spitz, Mantis & Cricket, and Kat & Ana each take up their own seperate slot I also made this with "choose all that apply" method of voting. The mistake I made on that front was not specifying this methof in the poll or in the Reddit title, just in the comments. I also forgot to add Red which is a shame since I have no idea where he would place.

The only place I shared this information to was the Warioforums Gold Discussion Channel and now here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wario/comm...ite_characters_from_warioware?sort=confidence
That's interesting, though I think splitting the duos is probably not a good idea since they're always together and seeing them apart might throw some stuff off, dunno.
thanks for making it and sharing.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't think that splitting duo characters up is a good idea, but whatever.

I can't decide whether or not I find Orbulon's performance so far to be surprising or not, it does line up extremely well with the sheer amount of love for him that I have seen since Gold's release.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't think that splitting duo characters up is a good idea, but whatever.

I can't decide whether or not I find Orbulon's performance so far to be surprising or not, it does line up extremely well with the sheer amount of love for him that I have seen since Gold's release.
I thought this way we could see if there's any disparity in popularity between two characters that were paired up, like I imagine there would be for pairs like Ashley and Red or Mantis and Cricket. And by letting people choose multiple characters per vote, the issue paired characters' votes getting cut in half is mitigated.

I kinda underestimated his and Dribble and Spitz's popularity. I assumed because they were downgraded in Touched that they weren't that popular.

Also, kind of a shame that Katana scored so low. I can't imagine why they would, but atleast other polls in the past have them near the top.

Last edited:

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
Well i think the only good decision splitting the characters, was the SplitScreen mode in Warioware Gold But in general terms, i wouldn't like to see Kat & Ana separated, or one of them missing in the games. By the way, my favorite twin is Ana because of the identification with the character, I'm also a twin (the youngest of the two) and a left handed person.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well i think the only good decision splitting the characters, was the SplitScreen mode in Warioware Gold But in general terms, i wouldn't like to see Kat & Ana separated, or one of them missing in the games. By the way, my favorite twin is Ana because of the identification with the character, I'm also a twin (the youngest of the two) and a left handed person.
whoaa you're a twin! that's so cool. I wish I had a twin :D

I thin I like Kat most. But really yeah I don't like to think of them as seperated. They're a duo, so I'd vote for them like that too.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
whoaa you're a twin! that's so cool. I wish I had a twin :D

I thin I like Kat most. But really yeah I don't like to think of them as seperated. They're a duo, so I'd vote for them like that too.
Yeah. I would want to have Kat & Ana together if they join Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think pages fly by when there's more reason for it, like for Shantae with the nindies direct we went through 5 pages probably in hours around that time :p

Kat & Ana aren't in the limelight, but a lot of characters that people don't think about being possible aren't. I'm glad more people are noticing them, even if some of it is because ashley didn't make it, and that could change drastically if they happen to be in the game :D
On the downside, popularity increases the likelihood of haters showing up. It's unfair, but it just happens.

I thought this way we could see if there's any disparity in popularity between two characters that were paired up, like I imagine there would be for pairs like Ashley and Red or Mantis and Cricket. And by letting people choose multiple characters per vote, the issue paired characters' votes getting cut in half is mitigated.

I kinda underestimated his and Dribble and Spitz's popularity. I assumed because they were downgraded in Touched that they weren't that popular.

Also, kind of a shame that Katana scored so low. I can't imagine why they would, but atleast other polls in the past have them near the top.
Even DA user ProfessorFandango has humoured the possibility of Dribble and Spitz being in Smash. It helps that those guys play nice music in their cab, and who wouldn't want to run over someone in a match with it? :p

Also, I wonder if being paired up with Penny would be the only way for Dr. Crygor to get lip service at all. Could be a fun, yet odd, duo possibility.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It's been over a week since I posted this poll on /r/Wario and I felt like sharing the results. Before that, I should clarify how I set up this poll

For starters, I kept Wario out since I only wanted to just know who was the most popular of his original cast members. All the paired characters I split up, so Dribble & Spitz, Mantis & Cricket, and Kat & Ana each take up their own seperate slot. I also made this with the "choose all that apply" method of voting. The mistake I made on that front was not specifying this methof in the poll or in the Reddit title, just in the comments. I also forgot to add Red which is a shame since I have no idea where he would place.

So much people are sleeping on young Cricket.

There again, people argue that he's the most generic of the bunch.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So much people are sleeping on Young Cricket.

There again, people argue that he's the most generic of the bunch.
Personally, I'd like Young Cricket in Smash, believe it or not. Though, I see Sakurai adding him as an AT sooner than playable...

In fact, I heard a very interesting notion recently (though I can't remember WHERE exactly I heard it from). Basically, someone suggested the idea of Young Cricket being an Echo of Karate Joe (from Rhythm Heaven).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Let's get the discussion back to Kat & Ana. If you want to discuss other WarioWare characters feel free to create support threads for them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since Ashley is out of the running game. They and Mona seem like the most likely candidates for an WarioWare rep. Out of the two. I'd say I would like Kat & Ana more since they'd be more unique being yet again another duo characters like Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt.

I'll throw in my support. ;)

Last edited:

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
n the hypothetical case that they would become playable characters, and sakurai would not like the idea of making a concept of 2 characters at the same time like the ice climbers, it would be nice to see something like the pokemon trainer, switching between Kat & Ana (with Down +B), having different qualities between each of them with basic moves (Diferent speeds, damages and hitboxes), but with Smash attacks, throws and special attacks using both characters (appearing with their ninja skills before the animation starts)

Last edited:

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
I prefer the idea of them being a duo character in the style of the Ice Climbers, but I could get behind a moveset that allows you to swap between Kat & Ana, with each of them having slightly different movesets. Not quite sure what their differences would be, though.

Perhaps their animal buddies Shadow and Shuriken could lend a hand in the moveset somehow? That could make for an interesting play style.

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I think their animal friends would be a must, because the combination of them, swordplay, ninjutsu and a two character mechanic gives Kat and Ana a lot to work with.

In general, a lot of characters have moves that don't really originate from anything, but are based on aspects of the character (like K Rool using his armor for a counter) which is part of why I think that Kat and Ana would translate very well into becoming fighters.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
It'd also be pretty cool if they could somehow have their cloning and transforming abilities worked into the moveset somehow. I'm not sure how it'd work, but the potential is definitely there.

Perhaps I could see if I could make a full fledged moveset for them for the next round of the Moveset Making competition I'm currently enrolled in. Then again, I may not have to, since they might just be revealed next week.

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
I think their animal friends would be a must, because the combination of them, swordplay, ninjutsu and a two character mechanic gives Kat and Ana a lot to work with.

In general, a lot of characters have moves that don't really originate from anything, but are based on aspects of the character (like K Rool using his armor for a counter) which is part of why I think that Kat and Ana would translate very well into becoming fighters.
Yes, i'd like yo see Shadow, Shuriken and even Numchuk as part of their moveset (or in the taunts playing with Kat and\or Ana)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Also, good news, WarioWare Gold was reportedly the second best selling game of August, in Japan.

This further plays into it's decent performance there and adds fuil to the fire that Nintendo would do well to keep pushing it, perhaps even with a Wario newcomer in Smash.
Yeah. With WarioWare Gold's massive success, Wario deserves a second rep, and who better than our little ninja twins?

Yeah. Kat & Ana will be more unique than what people think.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You can switch between nana and popo for some of the skins on the character select screen, so I would figure it'd be the same for Kat and Ana. You'd control Kat or Ana depending on the skin color you take. Not that it wouldn't be cool to be able to switch in battle, but thn there'd have to be a difference between their movesets for it to be worth something. Unless it'd be a taunt :)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
We now have 200 posts on this thread. Thanks to all of you for supporting the Kindergarten ninja twins! There's also a direct tomorrow.

Top Bottom