• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twin Kindergarten Ninjas of Diamond City - Kat & Ana for Smash Ultimate DLC

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Welp, not Kat & Ana and I honestly really don't care for Isabelle, but ah well, it is what it is.

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
Well, except that there was no information about Warioware and the low participation of SmashBros, the Nintendo direct the nintendo direct was good for me from my point of view of Nintendo user. Although Kat & Ana did not appear, there is still a chance for an announcement in the future, before the game launches, Sakurai still has 3 months to share information about the development of the game and the remaining newcomers. Stay alert for possible surprises.

Edit: Congratulations to those who wanted Isabelle in Smash, i hope you can enjoy her in the game :)

Last edited:

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Understandable that we didn't get a whole lot of Smash news in the Direct. Heck, Isabelle's reveal was honestly more of a teaser for the new Animal Crossing game than it was an actual Smash trailer. I think Nintendo just wanted to have a standard Direct with nothing fancy schmancy tacked onto it. Even so, it's no excuse for the lack of Pikmin 4. WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YEARS, NINTENDO. LET US HAVE IT ALREADY!

Anyway, we'll probably get a feature length Smash Direct sometime in October or November. I really hope that it reveals Kat & Ana or some other WarioWare newcomer. Right now, the only newcomer that could make me more hyped than the twins would be Reimu, but I know that that ain't happening, so I'd like to root for characters who actually do have a chance.

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
One positive thing for Kat and Ana that we can take from this is that Isabelle is yet another promoted Assist Trophy, which further goes to show that it's far more likely for that to happen then some may have thought initially.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
One positive thing for Kat and Ana that we can take from this is that Isabelle is yet another promoted Assist Trophy, which further goes to show that it's far more likely for that to happen then some may have thought initially.
Yeah. This bodes well for the ninja twins' chances. They still have not been shown off yet as ATs. Also, Ashley has been shown off and they are still nowhere to be found. Kat & Ana are likelier than you realize.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Isabelle is so cute though :D
It's still a win, even if it was a bit underwhelming.

& warioware still deserves a rep.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Isabelle is so cute though :D
It's still a win, even if it was a bit underwhelming.

& warioware still deserves a rep.
I can't be angry with her inclusion, I already secondary Villy and now I have a new cutie to play as~<3

But I can't help but wonder, if it was a WarioWare game being announced for the switch in 2019, would we be getting Kat & Ana, Mona, or Ashley instead? :thinking emoji:

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Also, I have been thinking, Isabelle is clearly borrowing some moves from Villager, like her Dash Attack and her Up-B (though the latter seems to be more of a variation then a copy).

With that in mind I feel like it opens the door for a nice compromise of using the convenience of Kat & Ana being able to borrow aspects from the Ice Climbers, while mixing it with their own inherent moveset potential.

Mind you we have all suggested that idea before, but now we have a newcomer who actually supports using that concept for new characters, being on Sakurai's mind.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Also, I have been thinking, Isabelle is clearly borrowing some moves from Villager, like her Dash Attack and her Up-B (though the latter seems to be more of a variation then a copy).

With that in mind I feel like it opens the door for a nice compromise of using the convenience of Kat & Ana being able to borrow aspects from the Ice Climbers, while mixing it with their own inherent moveset potential.

Mind you we have all suggested that idea before, but now we have a newcomer who actually supports using that concept for new characters, being on Sakurai's mind.
Yeah. With Isabelle getting in this becomes more realistic.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I could easily see KatAna being semi-clones of Ice Climbers as we know that semi-clones can be added as characters now. They also probably don't require as much work as a full unique character.

I still think their chances are quite low, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's what I was hoping for all along, that they'd be open to semi-clones to make it easier for characters like these to get in :)

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
I never thinked the posibility of Kat & Ana being echoes of Ice climbers, but i think the concept of semi-clone watched in the nintendo direct with Isabelle could work with the twins. They have the basic attacks, only change the special moveset and done.

Last edited:

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to point out that Isabelle only shares four moves with Villager, being Grab, Dash Attack, Neutral Special, and Up Special. Everything else is unique. So the idea of calling Isabelle a clone of Villager, Semi or not, is kinda dumb (sorry to hand it to you guys). I can think of several characters who are very clearly NOT clones that share a few of their moves, and nobody calls them Semiclones.

So yeah, sorry to break it to you, but Isabelle is simply a character who borrows a couple ideas from Villager, but is still very much unique. The same sort of idea applies to characters like Luigi, Lucas, or Wolf. I could see Kat & Ana potentially borrow a few ideas from the Icies, but definitely not as a clone. Does anybody remember that mod that Vishera Games made that replaced Luma with Ganondorf? Well, the idea behind that is replacing one character's model, skeleton, and moveset to be that of another character, but still keeping the same code for how to control them. To make Kat & Ana a fighter, Nintendo can copy and paste the Ice Climber code, but replace their models and moveset with Kat and Ana, effectively creating a character that controls the same but is still unique. And honestly, I think this would be the best situation all-round, keeping everyone happy with the result.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Other than Shadow, the only (remaining, yet to be dc’d) AT I can see making a playable appearance is these two. Sorry Skull Kid fans, but I think he’s just gonna be a boss. And for Isaac, being 100% absent (no trophy or anything else) from smash 4 makes me think Nintendo has officially closed the door for him for good.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I never thinked the posibility of Kat & Ana being echoes of Ice climbers, but i think the concept of semi-clone watched in the nintendo direct with Isabelle could work with the twins. They have the basic attacks, only change the special moveset and done.
Yeah. As shown with Isabelle, characters can be built off another fighter but still be mostly unique. I suggested that this would happen to Kat & Ana for a while. It took a newcomer being confirmed to match up with this to make it more likely.

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
Do you know anything about the speculation of the chairs that appear in Sakurai's office?. I say it because i do not see any reference with the presentation of Isabelle.
Maybe Is a clue for the next smash direct, or the chairs were only a mere decoration.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Do you know anything about the speculation of the chairs that appear in Sakurai's office?. I say it because i do not see any reference with the presentation of Isabelle.
Maybe Is a clue for the next smash direct, or the chairs were only a mere decoration.
It would've been cool if it reflected Isabelle's office in the trailer but to my knowledge nothing in the background pointed towards Isabelle.

I think they could still be alluding to a future character in the next smash direct. I don't think people will give up on their significance until Skull Kid is deconfirmed. Not saying he will, I still think he's got an alright chance.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Other than Shadow, the only (remaining, yet to be dc’d) AT I can see making a playable appearance is these two. Sorry Skull Kid fans, but I think he’s just gonna be a boss. And for Isaac, being 100% absent (no trophy or anything else) from smash 4 makes me think Nintendo has officially closed the door for him for good.
Yeah. I have some problems with Skull Kid and Isaac being in Smash. I agree that Shadow and Kat & Ana are the most likely ATs to get promoted.

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
Personally, I have no problem with the newcomers that sakurai puts in the game as long as they have original movements. At least Isabelle has a more varied moveset more varied compared to the villager, and not a character like Dr. Mario which in my opinion, should have been classified as echo fighter. If Sakurai were to put the twins in the Smash, i'd expect at least his basic attack moveset to be different to the ine climbers, of course, if Kat & Ana are based on them.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I made this project proposal for Kat & Ana:

These two little girls aren't ordinary kindergarteners: they're ninjas, and they take their ninja skills to the next level in Smash Ultimate. Formerly an Assist Trophy, Kat & Ana got promoted to playable character status for this game. They are small, fast, and can hit hard with sword attacks. They don't just use swords however, as they also have other ninja staples at their disposal like nunchucks and throwing stars. They are also a two in one fighter and behave somewhat like the Ice Climbers.

Theme: Fast Melee Combat

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
I don't know what you think, but I believe the music theory many people have of the smasbros website (the weekly music update of the videogame series), we still have a lot of series without music representation (Starfox, Pokemon, Earthbound, Ice Climbers, Kid icarus, Warioware, Sonic, R.O.B, Animal Crossing, Wii-Fit, Punchout, Pac-man, Mii, Xenoblade, Duck Hunt, Final Fantasy & Bayonetta).
The Splatoon and Castlevania music were uploaded because those series are new for the game. Ridley and Isabelle didn't need thier own music theme because the music that represents them had appeared in the previous game, contrary situation with King K Rool, a newcomer without a representative music in an already existing series (Donkey Kong).
If Sakurai were to present Kat & Ana as new playable characters, probably he would update the music list with a music theme that represent the twins (Personally i prefer split screen from warioware gold or Four Seasons from Warioware Inc), another characters like Mona or Ashley (before she was announced as AT) wouldn't need it because they already have the Mona Pizza and Ashley's theme from previous games.
I hope Sakurai upload a warioware music in the website, that could give us a clue to the inclusion of the twins in the game. in case he uploads a music of another character or type (Like Mike's Song, Wario de Mambo, Drifting Away, Tomorrow Hill, etc), we should probably say goodbye to the possibility of Kat & Ana as playable characters.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Another thing to note is that each of the non-echoes have been revealed before the respective music from their series has been revealed. For that reason, Kat & Ana are looking considerably more likely. That's partially because not all of the series that haven't had a music update are particularly likely to get newcomers. It can be mostly narrowed down to:

1) Starfox
2) Pokémon
3) Mother
4) Kid Icarus
5) Wario
6) Sonic
7) Xenoblade

However, I'd also like to cross off Starfox, Mother, and Sonic, since while a newcomer from those series is still very possible, it's more likely than not going to be an Echo, and the music theory doesn't cover Echoes. That only leaves Pokémon, Kid Icarus, Wario, and Xenoblade. And while a new Pokémon rep (most likely Incineroar) is the most likely out of these, a new WarioWare rep is definitely in second place, and at this point, it really would more likely than not be Kat & Ana.

(BTW, Animal Crossing DOES have a music theme on the website. It was revealed shortly after Isabelle was revealed)

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I don't know what you think, but I believe the music theory many people have of the smasbros website (the weekly music update of the videogame series), we still have a lot of series without music representation (Starfox, Pokemon, Earthbound, Ice Climbers, Kid icarus, Warioware, Sonic, R.O.B, Animal Crossing, Wii-Fit, Punchout, Pac-man, Mii, Xenoblade, Duck Hunt, Final Fantasy & Bayonetta).
If the music theory holds up, I expect Kat&Ana, Tails, and Lycanroc (I refuse to believe the Vergeben bandwagon) as our last unique newcomers. Also Starfox COULD get a newcomer in Leon Powalski, other options being Slippy and Peppy. Incredibly unlikely, but possible nonetheless.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If the music theory holds up, I expect Kat&Ana, Tails, and Lycanroc (I refuse to believe the Vergeben bandwagon) as our last unique newcomers. Also Starfox COULD get a newcomer in Leon Powalski, other options being Slippy and Peppy. Incredibly unlikely, but possible nonetheless.
Yeah. I think that Vergeben can easily be proven wrong. The music theory also gives me hope that Kat & Ana can join Smash. Everything's going in their favor this time around.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Yeah. I think that Vergeben can easily be proven wrong. The music theory also gives me hope that Kat & Ana can join Smash. Everything's going in their favor this time around.
That music theory works for all my most wanteds except for Dixie Kong being unique. But even if Kat&Ana have good chances, I still don’t want to get too cocky about it just yet.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Yeah, for all we know, that could apply to any non-Wario/Ashley member of Warioware Inc with any modicrum of popularity, even Cricket.
The only thing is, it almost feels like they wanted to do something with these two in smash 4 but just like with Ice Climbers, were unable to due to technical difficulties on the 3ds. I think these 2 might have been in the Wii U’s version of “the forbidden 7” but that’s just a theory. That’s my best guess as to why their assist was back even though Ashley was there while many others were cut out due to having a replacement. I think if Wario did get a new rep, it’s definitely these two, as Sakurai prefers characters that have fought in their own game and are expressive. (Which is why I don’t see the Incineroar bandwagon, because he isn’t exactly the most expressive, or even an interesting choice when compared to Lycanroc, who has three different forms to choose from, all very expressive and unique. 3 forms! I think we all know who the new pokemon really is)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only thing is, it almost feels like they wanted to do something with these two in smash 4 but just like with Ice Climbers, were unable to due to technical difficulties on the 3ds. I think these 2 might have been in the Wii U’s version of “the forbidden 7” but that’s just a theory. That’s my best guess as to why their assist was back even though Ashley was there while many others were cut out due to having a replacement. I think if Wario did get a new rep, it’s definitely these two, as Sakurai prefers characters that have fought in their own game and are expressive. (Which is why I don’t see the Incineroar bandwagon, because he isn’t exactly the most expressive, or even an interesting choice when compared to Lycanroc, who has three different forms to choose from, all very expressive and unique. 3 forms! I think we all know who the new pokemon really is)
Either that or Primarina, she's practically a circus performer.

Though the rest of your points do make sense.

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
I don’t think we need another water type starter before grass and fire are given more representation.
Since the announcement of the game, i always had in mind the posibility of another starter pokemon as playable character, to my preference, I always opted for a fully evolved Grass-Type Pokemon (We already have Greninja and Charizard). I think Sceptile and Decidueye could be the best candidates for playable characters (talking about starters).
Anyway, any inclusion that looks funny and / or original, will be fine for me, and i hope Sakurai has contemplated an opportunity to Kat & Ana

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It would be completely disappointing and dare I say, very uncreative for someone like Sakurai to end things off with generic characters like Ken and Inceneror while passing up unique and expressive characters like KatAna and Shantae.

I do think KatAna would be a fun and unique character. While I doubt they're in the base roster, it's possible they're DLC if we don't see their assist trophy. I'd love to be surprised, though, and have Vergeaben proven wrong at the same time.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It would be completely disappointing and dare I say, very uncreative for someone like Sakurai to end things off with generic characters like Ken and Inceneror while passing up unique and expressive characters like KatAna and Shantae.

I do think KatAna would be a fun and unique character. While I doubt they're in the base roster, it's possible they're DLC if we don't see their assist trophy. I'd love to be surprised, though, and have Vergeaben proven wrong at the same time.
Yeah. I prefer unique and expressive characters like Kat & Ana, Shantae, and Lycanroc over generic characters like Ken, Incineroar, and Steve. Vergeben is like Gematsu at this point, and I will be excited to see him finally be proven wrong.

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619

I also think Shantae could be a perfect playable character in the game, the problem is sakurai's insistence on just accepting japanese characters, as well as characters with their respective franchises born in Japan, but now with at least the inclusion of Shovel Knight as an Assist Trophy, this rule could change for the fighters

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm glad there's people out there who haven't given in to Vergeben. Kat & Ana are far better choices than any of Ken, Incineroar, or Steve. No offense to people who support those characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I also think Shantae could be a perfect playable character in the game, the problem is sakurai's insistence on just accepting japanese characters, as well as characters with their respective franchises born in Japan, but now with at least the inclusion of Shovel Knight as an Assist Trophy, this rule could change for the fighters
Remember that the guy is quick on changing his mind. He thought Animal Crossing was too peaceful to have anyone from there fighting, and here we are.

Especially considering that he noticed that he's running out of globally-popular Japanese franchises, so he'll have to expand his horizons.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm glad there's people out there who haven't given in to Vergeben. Kat & Ana are far better choices than any of Ken, Incineroar, or Steve. No offense to people who support those characters.
Come on now. Some of us support Ken without drinking the Verg-Aid.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
If we get another SF rep, I want Guile or Chun-Li. Those two are so much more interesting and fun than Ken.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Richter did open the floodgates to third-party series having multiple characters, but since he's an echo, we don't know how much they've been opened. At the same time, Chun-Li can be considered a more essential character than Ken, with MvCs 1, 3, and Infinite having Chun-Li but no Ken, and the only version of SF3 anyone cares about is the one with her.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Back to Kat & Ana: the music theory does lean heavily in their favor, with Wario not having music on the blog yet. But, tomorrow is music day, so we'll have to wait and see.

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
Back to Kat & Ana: the music theory does lean heavily in their favor, with Wario not having music on the blog yet. But, tomorrow is music day, so we'll have to wait and see.
Just in a few hours, we have to remember that sometimes Sakurai sometimes put another music in the list without being related to a fighter series, like "Galaga Medley" or "Noisy Notebook" from Snipperclips.

Come on now. Some of us support Ken without drinking the Verg-Aid.
I don't have problem with the inclusion of the original "Clone" of the fighting videogames, he could be perfectly ported from Ryu. It would be interesting to see echo-fighters like Ms. Pac-Man(Pac-Man), Big boss(Snake), Zack(Cloud), Jeanne(Bayonetta), etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom