• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tucson, AZ Social/Rankings Thread (Updated 5/7/10!)

For our Tucson Power Rankings, how should order be decided?

• Panelist system

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • Challenges system

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Weekly Round Robin results

Votes: 27 36.5%

• Total voters

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
i would help you but i feel like you dont wanna be helped by me lol and do you think my Roy is good or what!? and samus is fun to play but you have to think so much with her :(
You're better than me and you play with Tim on a regular basis. If I give the impression that I don't want your help you're mistaken.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
If you think I'm still worrying about unnecessary technical skill then your powers of observation aren't up to par.

I'm complaining about botching things that are necessary to Falcos game. I'm not trying to do perfect shine oos, or perfect double shines. I'm trying to do them well enough to the point where I'm not doing spot-dodge to get hit, or double-jump to stock loss.

I'm working on my spacing, and ability to l-cancel versus shield in-game as opposed to getting shield grabbed 9001 times a match, or hit by stomp OOS.

I'm working on things that every Falco in the world except for me can do.

when I told you that you're more technically sound than I am I really meant it, and when you mistook it as making better decisions, that just irked me. There were innumerable points during our falco dittos where I could have demolished you with ease, but I messed up my execution. There were points where I was spacing better than you, and baiting you into bad positions but I couldn't capitalize on it, and you got free combos and killing moves. It made me extremely angry.

As for running away and laser, I don't know what else to do. I feel like every option is unsafe versus you and Chris. I have bad spacing and nothings going to change than except by playing more, and I'm playing as much as i possibly can given my lack of transportation.

I don't care if the best are self-taught, I'm not the best, and I never will be, so it's not justifiable to compare me to the best. I need help. I am incapable of figuring out what I'm doing wrong in our matches, or else I obviously would have fixed them by now. I'm not a smart person by any means. All I'm good at is recognizing patterns and as a result, bad habits.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I don't disrespect Kyle, but him thinking he's better than Tim and Joey is unwarranted. If either of them feel like playing properly, Kyle will lose, and Joey proved that.

I prove it too. The times that I feel like actually camping, or dash dancing with Fox, I go from losing to either winning, or bringing the games to a narrow loss.

Duff0

Smash Ace
What are people suppose to answer when you say you mess up? It's almost like you want sympathy or them to not punish you when you **** something up

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I don't disrespect Kyle, but him thinking he's better than Tim and Joey is unwarranted. If either of them feel like playing properly, Kyle will lose, and Joey proved that.

I prove it too. The times that I feel like actually camping, or dash dancing with Fox, I go from losing to either winning, or bringing the games to a narrow loss.
And this is where you're very wrong, Xander.

I'll be more than happy to challenge you, Joey, or Tim.

Kthxdai. :)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
What are people suppose to answer when you say you mess up? It's almost like you want sympathy or them to not punish you when you **** something up
if i mess up i expect to get punished, and i'll complain about it. i just wish i was more consistent.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
And this is where you're very wrong, Xander.

I'll be more than happy to challenge you, Joey, or Tim.

Kthxdai. :)
challenging me is unnecessary. I've said on several occasions that you're better than me.

I've also said that I'm catching up, and i am, slowly but surely.

we should also play sometime this week(end)

Shashin

Smash Apprentice
In other news, I have that modded memory card for you Xander and I now know how to make as many copies of it as I want so long as I have a USB stick and the files.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
So what do you guys think about making a true Arizona Power Rankings? We tossed the idea around a bit for awhile, but I'm wondering if you guys would actually like to make it happen rather than just talk about it.

What I'm thinking is that, maybe if we extended it down to top 15, it might actually inspire people to try harder to be above the next people in line. Furthermore, it can stop these silly discrepancies by hardcore evidence from tournaments and challenge matches. People will no longer have to say, "I'm better than Random Marth main #37 because I beat her in friendlies a few times." What do you guys think?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
In other news, I have that modded memory card for you Xander and I now know how to make as many copies of it as I want so long as I have a USB stick and the files.
Awesome.

I just need to get my hands on a pair of cords and i'll be good to go.

i'm TRYING to set up emulation for a portible MBAA set up (laptop) but I can't get the most recent DX settings to work. Various DLL problems are making it impossible.

Not exactly sure what I did wrong because before I switched to 7 I could run it at 60fps on vista.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
AZ doesn't have 15 "active" players do they. Even then top 10's the best bet to go on this debate.. It'll make the ones not "ranked" wanna become ranked....also

I wanna either be "unranked" or bottom if this ever happens (which it won't) ^^

Yoshi's awesome you guys <3

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I'm willing...no...I want to make a thread titled "Arizona PR". I just need the go ahead and some panelists beside me. It would be based primarily on tournaments in Arizona, and secondarily on challenge matches if ties would need to be broken.

Basically, would you guys support a PR thread?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
top 15 is viable, but i don't really think it's really deserved yet

1. sean/jeff
3. tony
4. gg7
5. jackie
6. me
7. kyle (based on tourney)
8/9. tim/joey (their tourney records aren't particularly comparable cuz Timmy only went to one tourney since coming back. i've heard timmy say stuff about joey being above him, though, so i really don't know. i'd probably leave it to those two to decide who goes where)
10. xander
11-15. shiv/goop/okami/duffy/idk

i personally think duffy is better than all the other people i placed in 11-15, but he played so **** bad at the last tourney, i doubt anyone will believe me.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
top 15 is viable, but i don't really think it's really deserved yet

tim/joey (their tourney records aren't particularly comparable cuz Timmy only went to one tourney since coming back. i've heard timmy say stuff about joey being above him, though, so i really don't know. i'd probably leave it to those two to decide who goes where)
true on the one tourney thing. secondly, My main goal is to have Joey better than me along w/any, all players I train. =) I've also stated that if rankings were to start. I'd want to be below Joey, and ALL players at that, (this means me being last) however as much as I wish Joey was better than me. I'm still better than joey by a fair degree, but he learns fastest of any player i've taught.

I'm positive Joey would debate his positioning with SK, and i'm sure that needs to happen. I'm even positive Joey will debate his positioning with Tai, Jackie, heh maybe even Chris. So grudge matches need to happen on all of these. Sadly even if they happen, Joey probably isn't motivated anymore to prove anything (since he moves at the end of this month).. He's tried to many times but we (SV) always visit on days where Tucson is either (LAZY) or busy.

As for me I don't remember the last time I've played anybody "recent" that I've lost to besides Tai in tournament.. I didn't know that one loss makes a player lose idk 4-5 spots considering my former spot was what 6th, 7th, behind Light.. Tai beats me must automatically mean, Gamer, Jackie, SK, Tai can automatically beat me on a regular basis off of one tourney result. (even though I've played none of them recently in tourney) You all can play bad vs a certain player (Okami vs Tai?) (Axe vs Gamer?) (TT vs Okami?) (Joey vs ANY Peach) but can maintain a spot, but me, nope no chance. The "considered" better player lost all of these matches yet you all maintain your position but the (Tai vs Vman) nope no chance lol this is why I stopped debating AZ logic = fail.. and most of you don't really know what's going on, or what you're talking about but it's not something I bother to care for anymore. I make it easy put me at the bottom, lemme rise with Yoshi, If i feel as if I can't, (which I won't) then perhaps I'll play what you all consider "viable characters" again
anyway more importantly

Tai your missing TT, NickNyte, and Tag$ on your power rankings, who are all debatable around the 10ish area...
SmurfyEXE if he keeps playing is debatable around the 13-15ish area if they decide to go 15.

Lastly IF this happens.. from pure experience, people I've played, etc.. I think I'd be a viable panelist for the scene, and knowledge for the AZ scene in general.. (but I bet you EVERYONE here is gonna say) Vman - bad panelist, not enough exp or something of that criteria.. so I guess i won't bother.

@okami - do your thing man! glad to have you back
@xander - SV might come to Tucson tomorrow if you wanna play.. I'll help you w/your falco as much as possible

@AZ in general - someone food eating MM me.. like.. PUUULLLEEEZZZZZ?? lol <33

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
I know you don't mean any disrespect Xander, I know you. The way you word things isn't so eloquent so it is easily misinterpreted as that way, just so you know.

I'm not arguing all these points since you are correct with some. In some I will be rephrasing or expanding on my previous words.

If you think I'm still worrying about unnecessary technical skill then your powers of observation aren't up to par.
You still worry about it because you still do it. I think you are trying to master too many 'fundamentals' at once. Master one skill at a time. Practice nair pillaring instead of dair, it's a lot easier. Once you have that down, move on to dair. You john about so many different mistakes in a match. Put yourself in the situation where you can practice that one tech skill so you have the chance to refine it. You'll mess up a lot. But if you practice that one skill and get it down before you move on to the others, your consistency will go up much more efficiently.

I do this a lot. Basically anytime I have a couple stocks ahead I know I have the game so I spend the rest of the match forcing a lot of low nairs or something like that even though it won't win me the game. If you play to win, play like it's your last stock. If you are trying to refine a particular skill, do the opposite. Don't play to win, play to refine that skill. You'll have to since humans are the only ones that shield normally and you don't have a pro action replay to have a computer with infinite shield just standing there.

As for my observational powers, lol.

I'm complaining about botching things that are necessary to Falcos game. I'm not trying to do perfect shine oos, or perfect double shines. I'm trying to do them well enough to the point where I'm not doing spot-dodge to get hit, or double-jump to stock loss.
I know you're not perfecting those, I used those as examples. But you do incorporate shine upsmash and other inefficient moves and get visibly frustrated and you lose a stock or miss a KO opportunity because of it.

I'm working on my spacing, and ability to l-cancel versus shield in-game as opposed to getting shield grabbed 9001 times a match, or hit by stomp OOS.
Try L-cancelling with Z, that's what I do. If there's something you're so inconsistent with regardless of 'how much you try' then try it a different way. There's multiple ways to do lots of things in this game. If you can't pull something off it doesn't mean you'll never be able to, but it's usually smarter to move on to other important things so you can get better overall and not waste more time.

I'm working on things that every Falco in the world except for me can do.

when I told you that you're more technically sound than I am I really meant it, and when you mistook it as making better decisions, that just irked me. There were innumerable points during our falco dittos where I could have demolished you with ease, but I messed up my execution. There were points where I was spacing better than you, and baiting you into bad positions but I couldn't capitalize on it, and you got free combos and killing moves. It made me extremely angry.
Innumerable and demolished are cocky *** words haha. "there were points" is generic as hell too. Of course there were points, any time I was hit that meant you outspaced me or got lucky. This is where you should choose your words more thoughtfully.

Simple repetitive point is that both people make mistakes. Don't think I make so much less mistakes. I don't get frustrated like you do, and of course that makes you lose your focus and perform worse. Frustration deteriorates your skill, focus helps you progress. Also, I will choose the simpler route more often so I have less room for error. I'll just grab you instead of going for pillar at times if I feel my tech skill isn't smooth at the moment. That's what I mean for better decision making.

I am more consistent, but you have a wider repertoire of abilities with Falco than me. I'm biased in saying you have better tech skill because you can waveshine backwards lol. And I just like teasing people by saying I have no tech skill just like I like teasing by rubbing it in peoples' faces when I win with a lower tier character.

Don't forget that I can bait your baits. I know your inconsistency in those situations so I just jump right in and wait for you flop to punish. It's part of the game. If you were consistent I wouldn't be shielding so much.

As for running away and laser, I don't know what else to do. I feel like every option is unsafe versus you and Chris. I have bad spacing and nothings going to change than except by playing more, and I'm playing as much as i possibly can given my lack of transportation.
**** Xander, I'm tired of financially associated johns. If you spent half as much time looking for job and getting experience as you have spent on Yu-Gi-Oh! or smash you'd have a job by now. No excuses here. There are books and online resources easily available to help you with this. I've given you advice with it too. There are some pretty worthless idiots out there with jobs and you're not a worthless idiot so go out there and show them what you're made of. Getting a job is going to help you in almost every way. The fact that you don't have one right now shows that you don't realize how significant it is. I know you've applied a ton but you still need to apply more.

I don't care if the best are self-taught, I'm not the best, and I never will be, so it's not justifiable to compare me to the best. I need help. I am incapable of figuring out what I'm doing wrong in our matches, or else I obviously would have fixed them by now. I'm not a smart person by any means. All I'm good at is recognizing patterns and as a result, bad habits.
I'm not saying you will be the best. What I am encouraging is that you learn from the best.

AND GODDAMMIT I SAID STOP WAVESHINING AGAINST FALCON'S SHIELD A MILLION TIMES. IF LOSING A STOCK EVERY TIME ISN'T ENOUGH FOR YOU TO LEARN, ****ING PUNCH YOURSELF IN THE BALLS EVERY TIME. THAT WILL HELP YOU REMEMBER. CAPSCAPSCAPS **** **** **** **** CHRIS BURTT IS A LITTLE *****

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
First, I'll address the issue of my 11-15. I really didn't put any effort into listing people because I really didn't care. I admit it, absolutely without argument, they're viable contenders for 11-15, but I still stand by my opinion that our state does not deserve a top 15.

The reason that one tourney factors so greatly into your placing is because it's the only tourney you've been to since your return. Everyone else has their placing roughly determined already because of the last five or so tourneys we've had, except for you. It's really difficult to weigh old players' skill levels next to others with a year of rapid improvement. Even then, the people right behind you on the rankings then (me, Jackie, Chris) are the only people to be "ranked" above you now. It's not like we jumped 20 spots right above you or anything. Kyle's an exception, and the only reason he's ranked above you is because there's no head-to-head between you, and based on the SINGLE tournament result, he outplaced you (although placing means nothing outside of top 4 or 5). You can argue about you vs Kyle, and I'll gladly place you and Kyle in the same rank. It's flexible, plus I'd doubt all the panelists would agree on everything anyway.

I consistently beat everyone between myself and Okami on the (hypothetical) rankings, and I also beat Okami the last 3 times we played in tournament, so we have enough evidence to prevent that from making a significant placing on the rankings. To be honest, if there were someone SLIGHTLY behind me on the rankings (meaning they had like, a 2-3 losing record against me), my loss against Okami might have actually brought me below them. Except, I'm undefeated by everyone directly below me, so that one match result doesn't have enough power to tip any scales.

Everyone's in some sort of skill tier, and beating/losing to someone near you on the rankings is considerable and doesn't need to be questioned inside and out, seeing as the chances of those happening aren't unbelievable, but an unexpected outcome between people that are in radically different places on the list must be taken into consideration and determined to be a fluke/not a fluke.

Also, the example of Joey vs "any Peach player" isn't really legit, assuming you're talking about the Tucson tourneys. I don't know what goes on inside of SV, but the only Peach Joey's lost to recently is Kyle. I don't think he lost to Forrest, and I don't think he lost to TT in Tucson anytime in the past few months, and since there's not really anyone between Kyle and Joey, that's the only thing we have to judge from. Even if everyone in the state thought that Joey was 100x better than Kyle, Kyle beating Joey means more in this case simply because there's no one standing between Kyle and Joey.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I understand what you mean Tai, and you have many valid points, So I agree with most of it, and it's even fair the way it is now, since i've been absent since my return from the military, so you have a very good point... Well either way, as I've stated before the placings don't mean anything to me atm right now, as I want to climb using Yoshi.. that way while i'm workin my way up.. I also learn MU's with Yoshi.. etc..and it'll be a fun experience.. so i'm sure i'll be riding the idk 7-15 area for a good while, but yeah...

I guess it's all fair enough in the long run...

NOTE: I just asked joey, looks like he wants to play gamer/jackie/tai he wants to play all of you (assuming) at your best since it will indeed be his last tourney for at least a year or so maybe... It'd be nice if you all could do that for him, so he can "truly understand how far/good he's become" =) thanks in advance

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I love you jackie no homo. Today's been especially slow, and several points in your above post were extremely funny, made the day just that much better.

I really wouldn't call YGO @ wednesday from 3:30 PM to 6PM and saturday from 3PM to 6PM much of a time-loss regarding job-hunting TBH.

@Tai:

It doesn't matter anymore, but at the time forrest was still actually playing, he could beat joey easily, whilst sandbagging. It was pretty disgusting, to say the least. There was one match in particular where Forrest sat in one part of the stage and just downsmashed, and Joey ran into it like a *******.

that isn't the case anymore, but joey is still obviously not very good at the matchup, and TT is probably to blame.

Repeating part of a conversation me joey and tim had a week or so ago, he complained that after getting used to TT's playstyle, which is quite unorthodox in comparison to the more fundamentally sound kyle, and to a lesser extent forrest. the fact that he has to play so much differently against kyle and forrest when he played alone caused him problems, and the fact that he wasn't given the opprotunity to play either player long enough to "learn" them, he'd constantly lose to them in round robins, brackets, friendlies, etc despite being a more solid player all-around.

though that's probably just johns. lol.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
So I know I've been giving you fair warning well in advance that I'm arriving on Saturday night, unlike some people...
SV-Hey guys! We're coming later today, so you guys better be ready for us!
But I just wanted to see who would be up for smashing on Sunday, July 11th. Who's down? Shashin, you up to play? I'd like to meetcha.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I've been wondering. I'm asking this because when talking to Zhu and MacD about if people would ever come to a regional in Arizona, no one really would because we don't have any good players. We have Forward, Axe, Taj, (sometimes Wobbles and Light or something like that), and that's about it. People don't know about GG7 or Jetfour or Tai for the most part (though SoCal has met Tai before on a more personal level). At any rate, it wouldn't be so bad to have only a few good players if everyone was progressing a ton to get to that level. But to me, it feels as though a lot of people don't really have the motivation to progress.

So here is where I pose this question:
Where do you stand? Are you content with your skill level? Are you fine with your prowess? Are you trying to just get better than a single person who's near your skill level? Would you like to get better? OR do you have the need to get better? The need that
so far as I have observed*
only Kyle and I have shown (And Xander to an extent, though I feel as though he does not have the right approach, no offense).

*And don't go saying that my observation powers are even lower than Jackie's. Just answer the question without any grudges.

Shashin

Smash Apprentice
Let's start things out by explaining why I left in the first place;

Back when I played, the top players were PC Chris, Ken, Chudat, Wife, Husband, Wes, HugS etc... The best in Arizona were Taj, Forward, Wobbles and to an extent Omar (although he never played anything ever) and I had steadily begun to increase from someone who would get 4 stocked by Brandon's Pichu to someone who had started only getting 2 stocked by some of the higher players. I stopped playing because the scene wasn't getting any better, and as a result, neither was I. I can't get better if there isn't anyone else around me progressing their game. I mean, I can only get beaten so hard to the point where I won't learn anything.

That being said, I'm all for improving my game. I've been practicing spacing and I already notice a huge difference in my game because of it. I've noticed my own bad habits and I want to get rid of them. Since Tucson's smash scene is much smaller than Tempe's was, I'm sure we'll all grow that much faster.

Also, my knowledge that I gained from playing 2D fighting games has helped me drastically with mindgames and recognizing setups, so I think I can use that to my advantage.

Okami, I'm totally up for playing some games with you this Sunday, I think. I might be going up to Tempe, but if I don't we should totally play. I hear you are into Japanese?中学校から 私は日本語勉強することがあるのに、日本語を話すの友達がほしいんだ。

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
So I know I've been giving you fair warning well in advance that I'm arriving on Saturday night, unlike some people...
SV-Hey guys! We're coming later today, so you guys better be ready for us!
But I just wanted to see who would be up for smashing on Sunday, July 11th. Who's down? Shashin, you up to play? I'd like to meetcha.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I've been wondering. I'm asking this because when talking to Zhu and MacD about if people would ever come to a regional in Arizona, no one really would because we don't have any good players. We have Forward, Axe, Taj, (sometimes Wobbles and Light or something like that), and that's about it. People don't know about GG7 or Jetfour or Tai for the most part (though SoCal has met Tai before on a more personal level). At any rate, it wouldn't be so bad to have only a few good players if everyone was progressing a ton to get to that level. But to me, it feels as though a lot of people don't really have the motivation to progress.

So here is where I pose this question:
Where do you stand? Are you content with your skill level? Are you fine with your prowess? Are you trying to just get better than a single person who's near your skill level? Would you like to get better? OR do you have the need to get better? The need that
so far as I have observed*
only Kyle and I have shown (And Xander to an extent, though I feel as though he does not have the right approach, no offense).

*And don't go saying that my observation powers are even lower than Jackie's. Just answer the question without any grudges.
I must be pretty ****ty then for you to even neglect me, but what else is new right!? Same with Joey, but yeah what else is new on neglect. lmao Axe's motivation still shows more than EVERYONE he's far more motivated then anyone on improving.. Mine is also but it's whatever, lol @ AZ folk. I do agree that yours and SK's (especially) motivation/drive is very impressive.. I love it =p

in other news, LEBRON WENT TO ****ING MIAMI...like really!?!?!?!?
Just letting you know My Yoshi is better than everyone in Arizona, by a longshot! Get @ me Oh yeah!

/troll post

meaning don't take too seriously...Just adding another name to the AZ, ignores SV spectrum. =D

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Roll away from the jabs.

Recognize when he's going to try and use his super armor frames and use a high power/knockback/priority move for easy gimps, and combo setups.

Realize Yoshi is a ****ty character and exploit it.

BlackKnight23

Smash Apprentice
Roll away from the jabs.

Recognize when he's going to try and use his super armor frames and use a high power/knockback/priority move for easy gimps, and combo setups.

Realize Yoshi is a ****ty character and exploit it.
If not he ****s on you and you look bad. I fought it a long time ago, never beat my mains, beat my dK but barely.

Long time ago though, times have changed.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
sv might be in tucson today, anyone willing to come out... Not gonna visit if like nobody comes out like the last few times... If you can play.. plz message...it'd be nice to have at least 2 other players, or a fest or something ya know...

anyway lemme know asap

Shashin

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually in SV myself right now. I'll be back in Tucson around noon, though, so I'm free to play after then. How does that sound?

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
I have a hot date at Ra after work lol but whenever I am done, I am down for smash :) I don't have my controller though so sharing is caring.

Top Bottom