• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Try Shooting the Bad Guys - Fox GD/Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Ike

Smash Rookie
When I heard that this game was going to be fast paced like Melee, I cringed because memories of Melee Fox were coming back. Thankfully, he's not as bad as I thought he would be. The coolest thing about him to me would have to be that you can now go straight into Firefox after doing the dash.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
When I heard that this game was going to be fast paced like Melee, I cringed because memories of Melee Fox were coming back. Thankfully, he's not as bad as I thought he would be. The coolest thing about him to me would have to be that you can now go straight into Firefox after doing the dash.
It honestly wasn't the pace that made Fox as strong as he was in Melee; it was his movement options from the advanced techniques that provided him with endless versatility so he could excel in almost every matchup. In additon, 75% of Melee's cast was awful. And I'm a partial Ness main, I know how trash anything below the top 6 or so were.

And have no fear about Fox, the demo shows Fox being extremely bad and straight nerfed from his Brawl incarnation. If the demo is any decent indication, Fox will likely be bottom low tier in this game, but of course it's hard to make any assumptions at this point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

RIP Melee Fox, we'll miss you. Nah, I'm kidding. We'll see how he plays like when the games come out.

fill

20EggsEggs
I posted this in the Falco thread also:

Ok, so ive been thinking about the custom movesets for fox/falco. not sure how its going to happen, hopefully sakurai will explain it using marth/lucina and we can use that info to apply it to fox/falco. but i can really only think of one custom moveset for them to share, which i think would work fine because all the little differences on the non-special attacks.

Shine: standard fox shine (horizontal knockback)
melee falco shine (vertical knockback)
brawl falco shine

Firefox: stronger / less distance
weaker / greater distance
average of two

Lazer: fox style
falco style
???

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
He would have been top tier if not fir his really bad match-ups with specific characters.

Well, his meta was undeveloped because of his terribad matchups, but he had very few matchups that were clearly in his favour, most were even or slightly in his favour.

For instance, Fox had a slight advantage over characters like Lucario, Peach, DK etc. But only had strong advantages against characters that were in a bad state in Brawl, like Ganondorf, Bowser, and Link. I don't really see him soaring to S tier even without the chaingrabs, because it's not like he always wins matchups where he isn't chaingrabbed beyond reason.

Not saying I'm dissatisfied with Brawl Fox; I actually loved him. I felt Sakurai balanced him well (except for getting throw wombo'd) and accentuated his strengths, as well as his defined, polarized weaknesses. My bitterness stems from people whining all the time about Fox when he hasn't been the top since Melee, and he wasn't even as meta defining as MK in Brawl.

I guess I'm mostly bitter because I'm a Fox main that gets ragged on just for playing Fox when the truth is I just play him because I love him. He could be the bottom of bottom tier or the SS tier of the game, I would still main him.

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Idk since the E3 build he got some buffs.

She is canonically a heavy character so killing her at 77% is insane.
Well actually, sakurai described rosalina as "very light" in a Potd.

I did see fox kill bowser at 110% with an U-Smash though, so it definitely ain't weak.

And I thought nintendo confirmed the comic-con demo was the E3 Demo.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I'm fairly certain that the E3 build was confirmed to be the one at Comicon.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Well actually, sakurai described rosalina as "very light" in a Potd.

I did see fox kill bowser at 110% with an U-Smash though, so it definitely ain't weak.

And I thought nintendo confirmed the comic-con demo was the E3 Demo.
i believe he defined hers as floaty. not light. witch makes her kinda odd.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
@ Mighty_Guy100 Mighty_Guy100

Sakurai could be referring to light gravity, the smash community has just made the terms light and heavy mean exclusively weight, but not gravity, thus we refer to Fox as a lightweight with extreme gravity compared to others. Not sure though, just a guess.

Anyway, Fox McCloud has not appeared in a PotD since March, and with the recent videos/scans I expected to see some screens and/or some coverage on his customization but it looks like Sakurai is once again kind of ignoring us Star Fox fans. We haven't really seen anything exciting nor relevant to Star Fox in awhile with none of his comrades or rivals joining the fight and being one of the most poorly received characters at the invitational.

That being said, I think we all hope that Fox remains our nimble, highly versatile character in Smash Bros 4 and continues to retain his complex smash identity.

Believe in Fox McCloud!

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Fox McCloud costume for Bayonetta 1 and 2 confirmed.

-------- New information:
Lots of details from NintendoEverything:
http://nintendoeverything.com/lots-of-super-smash-bros-for-3d...

• This is from a demo event in Japan
  • Someone provided some impressions
  • Peach's butt bomb is a lot stronger
  • Link has a red costume with markings underneath his eyes
  • Toon Link has the four swords colors and the old style Link color
  • There is no Outset Island Toon Link
  • Pac-Man is slow
  • Zelda has a white costume
  • Chrom appears in Robin's victory pose
  • Nintendo was very strict about pictures and video at the event
  • Olimar has an Alph alt
  • Fox has a Wolf palette swap
  • Glasses Pikachu confirmed
  • Fierce Deity Link confirmed
  • These other colors and costumes are rumored at the moment
  • Fire Peach is a Peach alt
  • Black and purple Yoshis confirmed
  • Palutena has a Viridi color scheme
  • Dark Meta Knight and Galacta Knight are Meta Knight alts
  • Shiny Charizard is an Charziard alt
  • Pac-Man can wear accessories
http://nintendoeverything.com/lots-of-super-smash-bros-for-3d...

I'll be posting this information on threads that contain the characters mentioned and on the social thread. You can read in better detail by clicking on the link.

Last edited:

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Sucks that it looks like the startup and recovery animation out of Illusion looks a little lengthy. I was hoping to do something sicknasty like Bair>Ilusion(chasing sideways DI)>Upair
Well in the E3 demo, landing from an aerial illusion had little lag, not sure about the final build though.

I can't find any fox gameplay from the final build -.-

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Well in the E3 demo, landing from an aerial illusion had little lag, not sure about the final build though.

I can't find any fox gameplay from the final build -.-
Tell me about it. It really is remarkable how many people cast him aside when he's not Melee Fox.

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
Saw Shofu playing a bunch of Fox yesterday and seems he's pretty great at it. Highly doubt Fox is now low tier.

Here's a little bit I recorded (no sound):

Lightning93

Smash Champion
As far as I can tell Fox lost out on his trademark upsmash and shine, but I think it may be hard to speculate without getting our hands on it ourselves :). I am thoroughly hyped to see how he is this iteration... even if it means doing dumb stuff like chaining uptilts out of dash attack and fairing out of dthrow.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Saw Shofu playing a bunch of Fox yesterday and seems he's pretty great at it. Highly doubt Fox is now low tier.

Here's a little bit I recorded (no sound):
I thought it was said that all of Fox's aerials had greater landing lag? Yet watching this shofu
was till able to link some air-to-ground nairs and dairs.

Also, his F-Smash seems to have gotten a range increase at the expense of whiffing people right
in Fox's face.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Your best option to kill in this game, imo, is to save your upsmash to hit someone fresh at around 120-150% depending on the character your fighting against. If you bop someone with a Nair or Dash Attack your upsmash may be able to eat right through whatever air move they try to throw out in defense. If they airdodge, wait for the ensuing landing lag.

Depending on the recovery of the character you're fighting against Bair may be a more viable option at around the same percentage range.

Forward smash received a decent buff this game in its range, catching people off guard if you walk away then catch them whiffing an attack.

RPK

Smash Lord
I do say feel free to use Upsmash at low percents to build damage since it'll be fresh by the time youre going to go in for the kill anyways, and 16% percent is quite a big chunk of damage. Also work on landing an auto cancel'd bair. It'll take some practice but it's definitely worth it, and makes one of his kill options completely lag free. Also, you can use it for some hard reads like if they airdodge it. Oh noes you whiffed your lagless bair...They land on the ground with lag and proceed to Upsmash them in the face!!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I think I'm gonna pick up Fox in this game to cover some Kirby matchups, just like I did in Brawl. He feels similar in some ways, and super funky in others though. His voice is also basically the worst thing about Smash 4 :/
What do you guys think of the Greninja matchup? It's early but I can already tell Greninja hopelessly outclasses Kirby, there is basically nothing I can do. With Fox though, I at least have the speed to match him, and a reflector to make his projectile risky. Fox gets screwed by Hydro Pump gimps, but so does every other character in the game so it really doesn't matter.

I'm going to be spending some time here learning how to go about gameplan with Fox :D hope I can help contribute. I already have Kirby videos going on, if I get any good Fox replays (will take time because I'm a scrub with him right now) I'll see if I can upload them.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
I do say feel free to use Upsmash at low percents to build damage since it'll be fresh by the time youre going to go in for the kill anyways
Yes. Do this. Fox has plenty of multihit moves that can make it fresher than Sunday's sandwich in a Ziploc bag paid for by Ziploc.
I think I'm gonna pick up Fox in this game to cover some Kirby matchups
THIIIIIS GUY

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
What Lightning???!!!

I miss being able to throw in SHTLs whenver I wanted to :(

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Happy birthday, fellow bro who I've still yet to meet in person.

Here's to hoping we'll both get in some games with Anthony in the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom