• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble against campy ROB

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Hey everyone, I'm seeking advice on how to try and make a solid approach against a SUPER, campy ROB.

The worst part is, I can beat this ROB with my secondary (Fox), but I have trouble with Zelda since I lack foot-speed and reliable options. When I do actually get close, I usually get shield grabbed, hit with bair, or something of the sort.

In summary, very annoying match-up to me, help please?:psycho:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
First off, throw Din's towards his feet. This is one of those super rare situations where jumping and approaching with Din's like that isn't too bad an idea. It stops gyro charging and it can easily trade hits with Robot, and really, outside of a fully charged gyro, I think you get the better end of the deal. Nayru's a telegraphed projectile (watch Robot for the start-up of the beam and just hope you can see the gyro in time).

Watch Robot carefully. Some are spotdodge/powershield -> Dsmash happy. Others are SH-bair and FH-nair happy. For Dsmash, it's just a matter of using Fsmash (sometimes a little charged and sometimes right off the bat to screw with spotdodge timing) and mixing it up with grabs. Basically, try Fsmash if you see a spotdodge coming, and try to grab if he's going to hold his shield. Dtilt is also a decent option, but his own is pretty fast as well, so be mindful.

Considering his size and how he moves, I don't have too many problems landing lightning kicks on him with short-hops and sometimes full hops. Watch out for all of his aerials, because as you probably already know, they're fast and/or powerful. You obviously do not want to be above him. If you're in his bair range, it's best to not even try. I believe his fair and your kicks will trade hits, but if you can get around that, you can set up a relatively easy kick. Overall, take him to the air when you feel that you can handle him; in my personal experience, Robot doesn't try to airdodge me or anything like that because players know how good his aerials are and how Zelda's are... but I use this to my advantage.

Definitely use U-something to kill for the most part. His weight and recovery really only place him up for edgeguarding if you Dsmash him at a % where he won't reliably die, and edgeguarding Robot with Zelda is hilariously terrible for Zelda. Din's can bring him back for extra damage, but if he's trying to use his Up B, go out and dair and/or footstool him. Some Robot players like to fire off projectiles at you while recovering. If they're above you using a beam, Nayru's. If they're below, jump + Nayru's (since hitting the bottom part of Nayru's will send it at least a bit closer to him than the top part would). Otherwise, wait patiently on stage by throwing Din's out and take any chance you get to gimp him.

Really, this fight is basically meant to be played out patiently and then stabbing him at certain opportunities. Even though Zelda is light, the only moves that can reliably finish you off are his more powerful aerials, Dsmash (if it isn't being used to death), Fsmash, his gyro, and a few of his throws. Again, finish him off with U-something (I like utilt the most for ROB, since uair is a bit situational and requires good prediction and Usmash is usually decayed, but Usmash if you're KO'd). Lightning kicks and Dsmash can also take him of course, but unless you're very skilled, you probably can't reliably land them in most situations to the point where they'd be your best option, and Dsmash is only good at moderately-high %s for Robot. Try your best to recover on the ledge or past him, and bait his smash attacks. It won't take you long to figure out how limited Robot can be once you've learned how to reliably counter his B moves with your own and when you start killing more with utilt.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
If you get R.O.B. off-stage, you can harass him soooo hard with your Din's fire.

The funny thing is that Zelda's biggest problem against R.O.B. is when he's not camping, i.e. he's constantly staying at a medium spacing away from you and f-tilting your ***.

D

Deleted member

i've always heard from a pretty good ROB player that zelda is a total CP against him lol. he always destroys my link (go figure Q.Q) but my zelda actually ravages him quite nicely.

i always try to pick stages with platforms because then the gyro is easier to see coming while approaching and platform felled sweet spot fairs are too good :D

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
This definitely means I'm playing ROB at FD anymore. That's where we were fighting and it the WORST experience ever!!! Battlefield and Luigi's Mansion would give me plenty of options for sure. I know I shouldn't have trouble in the matchup but FD really tips things toward ROB. If I cannot avoid FD then how would I fight a super campy ROB? (I suppose him being campy is just a detriment to my aggressive playstyle.)

Harassment with Din's is always a great idea against ROB offstage. The Gyro is always a pain in the *** to see when its used. but manageable nonetheless.

D

Deleted member

Post a video of you two playing.
this would actually be the fastest most accurate way to help you out

i always approach with full hops and air dodges actually, you have to remember that rob only has two projectiles and only one of them can get you at the weird angle that the full hop creates. you can also use nayru's love to reflect the gyro, i wouldnt really advise this all the time though because they usually laser you during the lag. power shielding is also a really good skill to have in this battle because the gyro deteriorates when power shielded

i'm not a really campy zelda so i really wouldn't know how to maximize on din's fire in this match lol. i try to keep my opponents as close as possible so then i don't have to approach as much ^_^

zelda can actually get a quick ~40% in because of dthrow > nair > usmash > nair (just an example, you have to remember brawl combo's change drastically considering how your opponent reacts lol)

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Post a video of you two playing.
I'll see what I can do, since I neither have a Wii nor recording equipment. Hopefully she shows up this weekends' Brawl league we've been having so I can get a few more matches in with her.

Thanks for the advice ArkiveZero. One thing is for certain, I'm definitely going to have to work on chasing her a lot better. Perhaps now would be a good time to implement FW to my game so I can have better mobility around the stage, so long as I don't get crazy with it.

Bandit

Smash Lord
I play JCaesar on a regular basis, who is a top ROB on the east coast, and he knows this matchup fairly well. Dragz had it right when he talks about ROB's short and medium game. There isn't a move in the game that can out range his forward tilt which makes spacing even more important.

JC knows he can't trade projectiles with me because the Dins will always win. Zelda is able to out camp a ROB which is why a lot of people believe she is a counter pick to him. Unfortunately, I have not come up with a way of getting around his spammy F-Tilt, so the short game I am still working on. If you get ROB in the air, however, you can beat him with your fairs and bairs.

Keep your distance and out-camp your ROB opponent. Dins will win the distance battle and hopefully you can get him in the air for some serious damage.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Thanks for the advice Red Bandit, I remember how annoying ftilt is *looks out for ROB's left hook*.

Alright, I suppose I'll have to take my time in the matchup, and relax on the aggro, seeing that so far it has been the consensus opinion from everyone, and also noticing the fact that I've lost playing over the top aggressive.

One thing that bugs me, if Dtilt doesn't trip ROB, it seems like he can simply return with either his Dtilt or Dsmash instead of sheilding. Is this true?

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
One thing that bugs me, if Dtilt doesn't trip ROB, it seems like he can simply return with either his Dtilt or Dsmash instead of sheilding. Is this true?
Yep, they're both hilariously fast moves.

Basically, you're going to want to stay really far a lot of the time, and then once R.O.B. is high enough (90% is good enough) get really up in his face for the rest of the stock.

R.O.B. and Zelda can actually go pretty even in the air, but Zelda has the slight advantage because her attacks are just so much more powerful than R.O.B.'s.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
From the experience I've had in that fight, I can tell you it's pretty much even. ROB's campiness doesn't make it that way though. His range is the biggest problem. If he gets off the stage, just wait for him and shoot some Din's Fire. If you know he's gonna shoot the Gyro, try to reflect it or if it's on the ground, pick it up. Zelda's Glide Toss is also extremely good and can set up for a nice up smash if you time it right.

DRaGZ, have you heard of Sudai? Cuz that's the ROB I've had experience with. We go back and forth in that fight.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Rob is one of Zelda's easier matchups, all you have to do is observe Rob and wait it out, you can spam Din's Fire at a much faster rate than the gyro and laser beam put together. Rob is easy to hit w/ Din's Fire during his up-B because he's so vulnerable. I don't have any trouble w/ Rob, so a video would be a good idea to see where your at.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Din's against UpB is definitely a must; this I understand. Range I have learned will always be a problem, I suppose its simply a manor or weathering the storm.

@DRaGZ, so if ROB doesn't trip he can simply retaliate! Oh boy, I have to make sure if I don't see him trip then I limit to a combo move or tech-chase. Wow, that is definitely ridiculous lol. How would you suggest getting in ROB's face. Perhaps baiting a Dsmash would be the best idea since both Dtilt and Dsmash is
way to fast for Zelda OoS.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Really, both of you have stupidly fast dtilts and Dsmashes... both of his are obviously a bit better...

I think Zelda's Fsmash can space to he outside of his Dsmash range. I'm not 100% sure about it, but if that's the case, then I highly suggest spacing against him with that, but then again, he has that stupid ftilt. You could also try using jab at close range to hit his shield. It'll hit a few times, so if he drops it early, then he'll take a quick hit and you can quickly follow up. If he blocks the whole thing (so long as it wasn't a powershield), you can throw your shield back up before he can hit you.

A lot of them like to attack and rush back into the shield. I suggest grabbing when you know he wants to shield. if he starts spotdodging, do more Fsmash. This is generally how I deal with Robot at that distance, so maybe it'll work for you.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Ok, Fsmash spacing definitely sounds like a plan. I totally forgot about jab, that could be nifty.

D*** that Ftilt of his, can it be ducked? Since it is definitely problematic if you try to spotdodge or powershield it, perhaps it can be ducked. Can regular ducking or the dtilt go under ROB's Ftilt?

Top Bottom