• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tristan's Quick Guide to Sheik 2.0

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Couldn’t sleep, got bored, found my old guide surprisingly on the Zelda boards and notice it was outdated, updated it… I’m also sorry I didn’t update my thread like I said I would. Hopefully this will make up for that a bit.
[FONT=&quot]Tristan's Quick Guide to Sheik 2.0[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]What Learning Curve?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Needles[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Needles are your friends and can cause most characters to approach you even if they are able to shoot back such as Zelda or Snake [there are more than just these two].[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]If you are in a match up that you cannot force an approach it’s always a good idea to have a needle storm at the ready for punishment. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Never use needle storm close to your opponent as there is faintly less hit stun on the needle storm then the cool down time you have for throwing them. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Needle storm is not safe on shield at close to mid range against opponents with solid Out Of Sheild options or OoS due to its cool down.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Needles cannot be blocked by attacks; they will continue to go though the air until they hit something that can be damaged or until they reach their max distance. After a needle storm it’s always a good idea unless you’re fighting an opponent with a very strong long range b move like samus neutral B to follow it up with another needle.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Never fear needles being reflected if you thrown them at the correct range they will never reach you.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Whenever someone lands there are always a few frames where they cannot attack or shield, use needle storm to hit them exactly at this point. You will generally only use it like this after a juggle or when they are being defensive and jumping a lot. Think Wario.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]With good timing it’s possible to do a full hop needle storm and not surfer from any landing lag. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]You can cause snakes grenades to explode in mid air right in front of him with a well timed needle or even in his hands.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Needles can stop De3 minions, Rob Gyro, Wario unbroken bike, and Olimar attacks in general [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Needles can turn around Ice climber ice cubes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tilts[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Sheik tilts are her best friend, they combos, they can lead into kill moves; it’s the reason why Sheik shouldn’t be below sonic on the tier list.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]All of Sheik tilts attack speed is identical, cool down and area of attack is different.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sheik Ftilt and Dtilt has a sweet spot on the foot which if connect will hit your opponents in a more combo-able angle. The ftilt sends them more toward you then usual and dtilt sends them completely vertical.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]If you want to combo with Sheik tilts safely you will sadly have to learn a few percentages, get over it.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Tilt lock is the simplest combo to learn, you should get the general feel of it first when learning percentages before anything. Compete list of lowest percentage for Tilt locks: http://i46.tinypic.com/15yg7zo.jpg [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Learning how to buff your tilts will greatly expand your Sheik safe combo potential.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sheik Ftilt can combo normally with no decay from 10% to give or take 70%, with decay that can stretch as far as 130%[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sheik Dtilt can combo/string from 10% to roughly 50%[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Utilt can combo/string from 0% until a low percentage that I do not know ^-^’
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Utilt can combo directly into Ftilt in the low percents which can combo into various things from there.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]All of Sheiks tilts can be used to Anti Air, Utilt and Dtilt being far better for it then Ftilt.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]With Dtilt high priority, sweet spot, and misleading hit box it can stop most non-heavily disjointed aerial attacks. Also because you are ducking you are harder to hit, [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]With Utilt first hit its priority either beats or trade with everything, the 2nd hit priority is also good but its main use is to punish people for air dodging the first part of the Utilt.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Ftilt isn’t as useful as Utilt or Dtilt because of its priority and that it takes a little while before the hit box can be useful it so it has to be start early.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The utilt is very useful if someone is standing near the edge of the platform above you shielding as the first and 2nd kick can be used to push people off which will make them go into a tumbling animations. I’ve started tilt locks or followed this up quite often when the chance presents its self.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The Utilt first part can hit a little behind Sheik. The range is small but because of its great priority and speed it can sometimes be used as an aggressive means to defend yourself.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sheik ftilt can hit people shields and not be shield grabbed if spaced correctly; however, this doesn’t stop people from grabbing your leg so don’t expect to be able to pressure people with it at least for long.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]The utilt can combo into another utilt in the very low percents on larger characters like DK it can also be used to set up a tilt lock afterwards. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]The dtilt sweet spot can be used to link into another dtilt and then into a ftilt if they DI poorly after the 2nd dtilt in the low percents. This only works on the fast fallers but can be used against middle falling speed people if they are not expecting it.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]The utilt can poke between burst of Lucario dair and has enough priority to beat De3 falling ^B or any dair that doesn‘t have large amount of disjointed hits boxes [people with swords.][/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Sheik ftilt will cancel out snakes ground attack, [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Sheik dtilt will also cancel out on snakes dtilt.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Sheik dtilt can hit below some characters grab range and even attacks. Snake grab and neutral A being the best example.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Sheik ftilt and the first part of the utilt will cancel out a marth uncharged fsmash. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Smashes[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]When using the fsmash it is always best to try to hit someone with the inner thigh of the first kick then hitting someone with the foot. Hit someone at the knee area will almost guaranteed you to miss with the 2nd kick.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The 2nd kick of the fsmash has more priority then the first.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sheik's usmash hits twice, once where the hands connect and on the way down, however if you’re close enough to an opponent you can get both hits in.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sheik Dash Attack Cancel Usmash or DACUS is amazing and clearly the best in the game. It been proven to be combo into in multiple ways now, it does good damage, it can kill, and its uses don’t end there either. Unless your name is Ankoku you should learn it.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]DACUS even done the shortest as possible reaches farther than dash attack, if held it can go over most of FD[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]DACUS can be used for spacing, ever get cornered? Wait till they close in and zoom away. It’s very unlikely they will be able to respond correctly due to its insane speed.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]DACUS extends Sheiks attack zones and because of how quick it is it’s great for using it for anti air[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]DACUS is also good for punishment for opponents miss attacks and even OoS. If you power shield the attack you can punish a very large selection of attacks from smashes to aerials. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]DACUS last but not least, fear. Because of its large striking zone most opponents can’t help to not get in it if they think a dacus will come they will do things like raising aerials, super armor moves, and generally take less risk and by doing so they become more predictable. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]DACUS is ****ing amazing, LEARN IT…I’m not talking to you Ankoku.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Since the downsmash comes out in only four frames [that’s in front of you btw] it’s a better option than grabbing if you’re not sure you can land the grab since it’s almost twice as fast as a grab.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]It is extremely useful learning how to pivot dsmash due to the difference in timing and knockback of the first forward hit and the weaker backward one. Gently holding the directly stick toward your opponent a split second before you flick the C stick down will cause a pivot dsmash. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]If Sheik first usmash hit’s an opponent off the edge of a stage then the 2nd will be a guaranteed hit on characters such as pit and Samus. There may be more.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Sheik Fsmash can also push shielding opponents off ledges into the 2nd hit[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Sadly sheik can get grabbed out of her downsmash from behind and can get grabbed between kicks of the Fsmash if done on shield. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]A double hit up smash does around 30% when fresh and can kill meta knight at 80% on FD.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]After the first spin around the down smash start to hit higher and it can be used to stop aerials attacks at times because of its good priority and range.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Airs[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]A Full hop nair can be used not only defensively against shield pressures but also good for offensive means as the full hop doesn’t allow you to get shield grabbed. This can also be done with the fair.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Sheik fair hits above and little bit below her, however the hit box you want is the more below as this sends your opponents more downward instead of horizontal. This can also be used to combo if done close to the ground. Fair, dtilt, [maybe two or even none depending on the character and percentage] , ftilt lock[if possible] to usmash. It’s also good to be followed up with a dash grab or dash attack. …It’s also a good idea for edge guarding since it sends them downward.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]The Bair, Nair, and Uair can all be used to combo if you hit someone after the original strong beginning.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Sheik Nair is one of her best cross up tools, jumping towards someone with a nair only to land behind them is fairly safe if not predicted. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Fair can also be used as a fairly good cross up if you it reverses so as you jump over your opponent you hit the back part of their shield.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Bair is Sheik best option on Shields as if auto canceled and done right can’t be shield grabbed.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Fair can also be used on Shields but only against opponents with poor grab range[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Bair will always hit behind Sheik, always[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Uair priority and range is amazing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Everything Else[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Sheik AAA combo can beat select characters AAA combos even when in the middle of getting combo-ed, best example Captain Falcon's you can interrupt him at any given point after the third punch with a well timed jab.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sheik AAA combo priority and range allows her to stop a surprising amount of attacks that aren’t heavily disjointed.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sheik AAA combo can hit people off the ledge and can be used to Anti air people better than her tilts[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sheik jab cancel allows her to make strings of things like jab, jab, dtilt. It’s not a true combo but its fast enough to work especially if you occasionally do only one jab.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]You should get into the habit of always pummeling your opponent after a grab before a throw[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Back throw can combo in the low percents and then again in the higher[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Dthrow can also be used to combo but due to how easy it is to DI it you will generally only be using that to juggle unless you have a pretty good idea where they are going to DI to.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] Sheik can grab release into DACUS on Meta Knight, Pikachu, Ice climbers, Mario, Squirtle, and Lucas. We can also do a single step into usmash on Wario.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]On some characters when a ground break happens they are still within striking distance for are fastest attack, jab. This list is Mario, Link, Kirby, Luigi, Meta knight, Ivysaur, charizard, Ice climbers, Lucario, Ness, Bowser, Wario, Toon Link, ROB, Olimar.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sheik can also grab release into Fair on Game & Watch and Ness.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sheik ^B is a great mind game tool and does great damage [15%?] plus good knock back. It’s never too early to start using the ^B to rack out damage if your opponent lets you unless you have a better option such as a tilt lock.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The chain is Jesus on ice if used correctly. Short hopping into a chain will cause it to do more damage and hit stun with each hit then if you just pull it out normally on the ground.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The chain like any normal attack if used in a too low percents will not knock someone far away enough to be safe. If you want to chain camp wait till something like 50%[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]When using the chain it’s best to have the mind set of “If I hit him with 1-2 times it will do more damage than “X Move” to knock me out” A good example is Peach, if a peach keep jumping at you then a good retreat into jump into chain is really useful. You will hit them most likely 3-4 times before they can pull back and pull a turnip to force you out of it.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Normal chain is fairly high risk to use but the rewards can sometimes out weight the risk. The main problem with the normal chain when using it to lock is that you have to watch out for the counter hit they will use if you mess up because if you do mess up your DIing in the worst possible way. If you can land the normal chain lock it will generally make you the winner of that stock though unless their counter hit kills you.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]If used correctly the chain can stop all ledge attacks up till 100% at 101% they change to the slower but with more invincible frame versions which you can’t stop.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Sheik jabs have enough priority to cling with Falco side B and Marth Fsmash[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There's 78 points in this guide. Everything isn't covered, I could most likely filled another 20 to 50 of things you either don't really need to know or things that are too advance to explain in this and need their own guide with pictures... Like Decay.[/FONT]
At some point I also plan to finish another guide I've been working on called "Ftilt, the move that's more complex then the game Brawl"

Ha, even when you remove the top introduction and bottom comments this guide is 2,358 words long. The last one was 1,374 >_<

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Tristan's alive!!!

I didn't see this in your guide, but I'm pretty sure that up tilt can combo into forward tilt at very low %s.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
  • [FONT=&quot]Bair is Sheik best option on Shields as if auto canceled and done right can’t be shield grabbed.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Fair can also be used on Shields but only against opponents with poor grab range[/FONT]
Why is b-air considered the best? As far as I know it's just easier to space with, which doesn't exactly equate to usefulness in the grand scheme of things, though it helps. You can space a f-air on D3's shield if you're precise enough.

I'd say f-air is at least close to the best aerial to use on shields because you have better options afterwards. You're not forced to turn around after you hit an opponent's shield if you want to jab or dsmash afterwards, for example.

It may also have less landing lag than her b-air- at least it seems that way to me. To my knowledge there isn't a comprehensive frame data thread for Sheik yet for me to follow up on this.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It has a little more landing lag, but the part that matters is that it's easier to autocancel and still attack someone on the ground in a relevant way.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
yh fair has more lag than bair and can be punished VERY badly due to its bad range which usually means you will just be shield grabbed no matter how well you space f-air

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Fair does not have more lag than bair and like was mentioned earlier your in position to jab instantly since the move AC's...this means characters with slow grabs can't grab you if you do it right. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I have never done Sheik's DACUS. I have heard it's lolhard.

How fast do you have to do it?

Oh, and for the love of Ganondorf God, change the color on the Smash section. My withered, useless eyes.

For actual refurbishments, you could try adding links to the deeper details you mention. For instance, I am intrigued by the "super dtilt hitbox" you mention, and am at once lost on how to educate myself.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You have a two-frame window. You must input the usmash either 2 or 3 frames after the dash attack starts. If you input too early or too late, you'll just get the dash attack.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
Fair does not have more lag than bair and like was mentioned earlier your in position to jab instantly since the move AC's...this means characters with slow grabs can't grab you if you do it right. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.
ill be honest I havent played brawl in ages so I basically just copied whoever said fair has more lag, but I still stand by my position fair is more punishable than bair, and most good characters have ways of severely punishing fairs since lets face it we cannot always "perfectly" space an fair in a heated battle.
f-air MKs shield = grabbed
f-air marth's shield = upB in the face if he is feeling mean
f-air snakes shield = too many options
f-air diddy shield = grab
f-air DDD shield = grab
f-air pikas shield = infinite
f-air ness' sheild = nair out of shield
f-air olimar's sheild = well the point is most characters we are even disadvantaged against can do wonders against our f-air

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
sorry you guys need to learn to space fair... you can do a retreating falling fair on d3 and not get grabbed hard as hell obviously but that gives you a scope of just how much range the move has it is at least.

um primarilay you want to be using bair for all of your approaches IMO. THAT is theick best cross up. so if you find your self facing you opponent lets say the just landed a semi laggy aerial but you can't make it to them with a dash attack before they'll sheild or you can't grab because they are too far. you wanna mix in an aerial safe approach.

fox trot a step then dash dance toward away into a shff'ed bair. I don't care who it is unless they P sheild which is gonna be unlikely (nine times out of ten they throw out some kind of defensive option upon rush down) you'll hit sheild. bair's biggest points on sheild aren't so much the advantage/disadvantage, but sheild slide. air will slide the opponent so far away they have no counter options in grabs and most cases even upBs if you are spacing correctly. Bair has decent sheild stun as well which makes the "stomp" such a strong approach hit op miss you can bair them from the front while facing them. the huge sheild slide it produces will drag the character through you putting you behind them. this means they are force to sheild drop or jump out of sheild to do anything. most characters exceptions being DK and Bowser maybe samus... don't have any OOS options that will hurt you at this point.

lol I'm babbling kidda. Lost my point. Bair is better but fair is in no means bad. it's a good tool to throw out when you don't have other options avalible to you.

@Ddonatalo
ness and pika's grab ranges (and ness' nair) are really really bad worse than ICs you should be falling to to sheild grab siuations against them ever. regardless though just play it safe and stick to ground stuff until mid percent with pika. out of the pther characters listed MK diddy snake, you could fall prey to them if you mis judge a dash in sheild or something, but that should rarely happen as well.
oh pika's chain is like 0-100 it is not a death combo unless you DI into death.

@DanGR
IMO buffering a turn around into jab and ftilt or even grabs on landing should be a top priority for you as sheik since bair is without doubt her best aerial poke/cross up.

@Sheik mains in general
You main sheik you aren't taking the easy path to victory you have to learn to do easy things the hard way a good amount of the time if you want to be successful.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
  • [FONT=&quot]On some characters when a ground break happens they are still within striking distance for are fastest attack, jab. This list is Mario, Link, Kirby, Luigi, Meta knight, Ivysaur, charizard, Ice climbers, Lucario, Ness, Bowser, Wario, Toon Link, ROB, Olimar.
    [/FONT]
Uh yeah about this.
Turns out that Sheiks GR is only 39 frames. Which means that the foe has the advantage of 1 frame.
Also, I coulda swore I done this to Peach.

Jski

Smash Apprentice
Why do ppl like to use that blue i can never read it and it kind of cause my eyes to give me pain! Over all nice work though i think there are things like this already here.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
@Ddonatalo
ness and pika's grab ranges (and ness' nair) are really really bad worse than ICs you should be falling to to sheild grab siuations against them ever. regardless though just play it safe and stick to ground stuff until mid percent with pika. out of the pther characters listed MK diddy snake, you could fall prey to them if you mis judge a dash in sheild or something, but that should rarely happen as well.
oh pika's chain is like 0-100 it is not a death combo unless you DI into death.
But becuase ness and pika are rather small targets you have to get lower to the ground in order to hit them giving you less time to retreat unless you do a rising fair which you cant really follow up anything with
But like I said before I havent played in ages so this winter holiday I will try abusing fair more into my game and take what u have said into consideration

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
You want to get as low as possible to give yourself the best advantage against shield and the most horizontal range against characters like that. fair has way more range than their grabs. way~ more.

Top Bottom