• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping, It isn't all bad.

dowingba

Smash Rookie
Tripping is definitely way overblown. I've put something like 140 hours into Brawl and probably have tripped a thousand times or more. And even so, I never find I'm "worrying" about it or that it sucks the fun out of the game, or whatever. Yes, for a few split seconds after I trip I'll be like "aw crap" but you do eventually learn to deal with it. I'm not about to defend whoever's idea it was to put tripping into this game but I don't think it's nearly as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be. Randomness isn't always such a bad thing, you know. For instance, everyone loves Game and Watch but his usefulness would quickly diminish if it wasn't for his ability to randomly get a 1 hit KO at 0%.

Chalk it up to Smash Bros being a quirky game. It's always been this way.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
^Game and Watch, Peach, and Luigi each have an attack that randomly becomes powerful. But unlike tripping, you willfully do the attack. You can't compare tripping with attacks with dramaticly varied damage.

MarkPP

Smash Cadet
Let's consider this from the TL's point of view.

Toon Link had this match won, he had outplayed you and he was about to deliver the final blow.

Then you tripped, this made him lose the match, and the better player lost.

Tripping.
Sucks.
QFT.

10chars

turbinator

Smash Cadet
You act like both characters will trip equally in a match the same way. NO! Because of its randomness, 1 character could repeatedly trip into attacks while the other 1
1. Is saved by tripping.
2. Trips when their opponent is away.
3. Won't trip at all.

How is that evening it out?

To the thread: Tripping sucks. It's sometimes overexaggerrated but its ability to decide a match can't be denied.
Of course they won't trip equally in the same way. But both characters have the same chance of tripping and thats why its fair. Just becuase they have the same chance of tripping doesn't mean they will trip at the same time.

I don't think you got what I meant by evening out. By evening out I mean over a longer period of time then just one match. Im talking about a several or a dozen matches roughly. Usually in that period of time you will get good as well as bad luck. Sometimes you will trip into a forward smash other times your opponent trips into your forward smash. It is very unlikely you will always be unlucky with tripping.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
It has been proven that tripping, as an added feature in Brawl, has caused:

- Heath Ledger, George Carlin, Bernie Mac, Isaac Hayes, Sydney Pollack, and all other celebrity deaths in 2008.
- George W. Bush elected President of the United States of America...TWICE!
- Aids, Cancer, Obesity, Diabetes, Asthma, Mental ***********, Autism, and STD's.
- Current genocide occurring in Darfur
- Pearl Harbor
- Food poisoning and diarrhea
- Global Warming
- Republicans
- Marijuana is still illegal...
- the drinking age to increase from 18 to 21 in the United States
- Bible-belt towns filled with rednecks who want to condemn immigrants to a hopeless future yet claim to be aspirers of a Lord whose main teachings are Love and forgiveness
- Racism
- the assassinations of Martin Luther King jr., John F. Kennedy, Malcom X, Abraham Lincoln, Tupac and Biggie.
- Roadkill
- PETA
- Censorship to **** the media
- the state of the American economy...
- Homicides and Suicides
- Micheal Vick to torture dogs
- GAS PRICES!
- People to still not realize Mac is better than PC..
- Most of the other bad crap happening in the United States and the World that I haven't mentioned.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Its random. Random=bad in competition. period. I like tripping sometimes too, because it can give me a free getup attack, but if screws me over when I'm trying to string attacks together or cg.

- Heath Ledger, George Carlin, Bernie Mac, Isaac Hayes, Sydney Pollack, and all other celebrity deaths in 2008.
- Aids, Cancer, Obesity, Diabetes, Asthma, Mental ***********, Autism, and STD's.
- Pearl Harbor
- Global Warming
- Republicans
- Bible-belt towns filled with rednecks who want to condemn immigrants to a hopeless future yet claim to be aspirers of a Lord whose main teachings are Love and forgiveness
- Racism
- the assassinations of Martin Luther King jr., John F. Kennedy, Malcom X, Abraham Lincoln, Tupac and Biggie.
- Roadkill
- PETA
- Homicides and Suicides
- GAS PRICES!
- Most of the other bad crap happening in the United States and the World that I haven't mentioned.
*nods in agreement* Sakurai should be tried for crimes against humanity.

crazn137

Smash Journeyman
I've lost a tournament because of tripping. Tripped into Ike's fsmash.

Yeah, tripping isn't all that bad.
/sarcasm if you were too busy tripping to figure it out

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I hate how people complain about tripping into Iks F-smash.
How often does that even happen?
"ohh it happened to me once how I'm going to go whine about it every time a topic about tripping comes up"

Get over it.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I guess tripping can be your best friend in certain situations like in your case, but it can also be your worst at critical moments, I'm not saying I approve of tripping, because IMO it should have never made it to Brawl, if tripping had to be in Brawl, it at least should have been a switch of some sort to play with it on, or to completly have it off.

Roihu

Smash Ace

- Pearl Harbor
- Global Warming
- Republicans
- Racism
- Roadkill
- PETA
- Homicides and Suicides
- GAS PRICES!
Obviously almost everything that you've mentioned happened before Brawl/SSB even came out. :\ (Yes I know it's sarcasm/exaggeration/whatever the hell you want to call it for any idiot that would want to point it out later)

Tripping is just a random element in a match. Sakurai never intended for Brawl to be competitive. Of course he'll do anything to stop it without appearing to. (Well, subconsciously maybe)

I also love how the description of tripping into Ike's Fsmash is so darn common. Does this REALLY happen more often than anything else in the world?
Why don't you argue about how the hell it might have saved your butt in a match? All I see is people arguing about how it made them lose.
I don't get how people can hate such a random thing so much as to use hacking to get rid of it. o.o

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Its the fact it will alter the path of the match with NO input from the players (besides moving which makes no sense). It rewards one player and punishes the other without a good reason.

Few like skilless victories. And even less like skilless defeats.

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha an option to turn it off? It would never be turned on.

You got lucky in that match. But see how excited that made you? That's because it's so rare! There's like a 99% chance of tripping being and an advantage to the player that did it. That's not enough for me to be okay with it.

Roihu

Smash Ace
Thing with turning it off is that Wi-Fi might be a bit hard to do that on.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well, I've seen tripping come up in every Melee/Brawl debate I've read, how "bad" and "game breaking" it is, is always what is brought up though. But today, I have experienced something that just disproves what everyone else is saying. I won a match, due to MYSELF tripping.
Wait right there. I haven't read the rest, but I'm going to assume you were going to do something something completely stupid but becauses of tripping, your failure of a choice was dismissed by the game engine... thusly making tripping BDA for the other player who was smart.

Thats right, they didn't trip and I won. I tripped and I won. This is what happened. I was Luigi:luigi2:, My friend was Toon Link:toonlink:. We were on Battlefield. We both had 140% 160% damage. I can't quite remember the exact damage but it was close to something like that. Anyway, he was about to side smash me. But then just as this happened, a miracle was granted from the mighty god. Most people would never guess what this miracle was without reading the above and what I'm talking about but anyways, I tripped. I tripped right out of the way.
CALLED IT!

WanderingAngel

Smash Journeyman
tripping helped me once evade snakes d-smash i was Cfalcon and i ran straight to the mine and right when i was going to step on it i tripped and i didnt touched it and my friend tought it was gone he came to punish me and blew up on his face it was so freaking hilarious

Top Bottom