• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping is more common in US version of Brawl

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I've played the US version last last night, and I own the Japanese version, and when I played the US version I noticed that DDD throws items now like capsules, ray guns, pokeballs, etc, all randomly instead of waddle dees, and I also noticed that tripping is A LOT more common than it was in the Japanese version. This could be coincidence, but the odds of that are very small, most likely tripping is just plain a LOT more common than before, or my luck just sucks, cuz I tripped 4 times in 1 minute before (extreme example of what happened 2 nights ago) and that's horrible. Nintendo, what were you thinking, have an option to turn tripping off.

Card

Smash Lord
Dedede could throw Pokeballs/Ray Guns/Capsules with his Waddle Dee throw in the Japanese Version...

I think you are just seeing things.

Logically speaking, having the American Version have a different coding for Tripping, would make it impossible to play Online against a person with Japanese version. Therefore it's pretty safe to assume that the games source code did not change from Japanese version to American version, aside from translations and sounds.

If anything... I felt that after playing the US version that I tripped LESS than the Japanese version. Then I just remembered that it makes no sense and that it's just luck of the... trip.

But yea I agree that they should have an option to turn it off.

Niblet

Smash Cadet
Oh wow. I see what you did there. While you're here, any tips for a beginning smasher like myself?

Edit: I agree with what M2K is REALLY saying.

6footninja

Smash Ace
I would like to see nintendo, or any gaming company come out ad say they changed things in two different release versions, making one more unfair than the other. I would like to see that...

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
DDD throws items in the japanese version are you sure? I played at chus biweekly and i threw tons of waddle dees and i never threw an item, but even with items turned off, i threw items in the US version.

also there's no way tripping is less common in the US version, I literally tripped 4 times in 1 minute before, that's ridiculously crazy, and I usually tripped once or twice every match rather than once every match or two like before. Maybe it is just luck, but I base things off what I've tested, although luck based things aren't reliable to test, it's very unlikely to immediately notice how much more common tripping felt right away.

Niblet

Smash Cadet
**** how could I forget to post my DeDeDe story! So I was playing on battlegrounds in an intense 1v1 with my gangsta Pink fur pelle pelle King DeDeDe against a Marth. It was down to a final stock for both of us and I was winning in terms of percentage -- mid 20s vs his 80s.
So I decide to poke a little before ending the match. I use the side B on him and instead of a waddle doo or dee or even a gordo a friggin GOLDEN HAMMER comes out of me. The dude picked up the hammer and the rest is history. SAKURAI!!! :mad:

Best101

Smash Ace
DDD throws items in the japanese version are you sure? I played at chus biweekly and i threw tons of waddle dees and i never threw an item, but even with items turned off, i threw items in the US version.

also there's no way tripping is less common in the US version, I literally tripped 4 times in 1 minute before, that's ridiculously crazy, and I usually tripped once or twice every match rather than once every match or two like before. Maybe it is just luck, but I base things off what I've tested, although luck based things aren't reliable to test, it's very unlikely to immediately notice how much more common tripping felt right away.
Do you use Dedede a lot? Because one of his moves looks like he trips and there's this other character just like him (I forgot who)

And for some reason my characters do seem to trip a lot. For something that seemed to happen so rarely in the Japanese Brawl (I've never played that that one myself) I air trip quite often.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I played the japanese version for 3 weeks and went to 2 tournaments with the japanese version, and didn't see ddd throw a single item. I haven't played the US version yet so i don't know what to comment on the tripping thing. I think m2k knows the difference between a dash attack and a trip, hes a decent player. ^-^

Card

Smash Lord

110% Positive on Dedede Throwing items in the Japanese version. It was extremely rare though, I remember it very clearly, and it happened on the very first time I picked Dedede (on JP version) :)

Don't get me wrong, you COULD be right. I'm just saying that, from a developers standpoint, changing the code so that one version of the game trips more often than the other, just makes absolutely no sense. Then again, adding tripping makes no sense, but lets not go there. NTSC-J and NTSC-U games RARELY have any actual coding/gameplay differences. The only time they do, is when the NTSC-U game comes out much later, and they add a bonus feature or content.

You could always try doing very LARGE scale testing involving tripping. See if there is a drastic difference (I'm talking 10-20% difference) between the amount of times tripped in the US to JP version.

EDIT: After reading Eggm's post I'm starting to sound less credible... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thrown an item with Dedede. I must have happened 3 times to me in the entire course of a month (That's how rare it is). I've also thrown a Capsule (while items were off) it hit my opponent and an Item DID NOT come out. I've also thrown a Pokeball, and I even remember saying to my friends that "Dedede is a Pokemon Master" :dizzy: I should be honest and say that I have never seen a Raygun thrown from Dedede though.

But I'm not crazy I swear :embarrass

Niblet

Smash Cadet
Card, man, I know. It might seem rediculous to throw a friggin hammer but that is the only explanation when items are all off and I did my Side B.

EggSucker

Smash Cadet
Canada - Somewhere cold Mains: Yoshi, Pikachu, F
I think it's happened to me once when I tried it in the US version, I remember Dedede throwing a capsule but items were off. Obviously I just thought it was a glitch and ignored it but now I can say it's possible. It's probably just a very slim thing like "tripping" is suppose to be.

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
I think you're tripping more because you're more used to the game than when you first got the JP version. The same thing happened to me in my first US online match.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I'm doing a data comparison of the JPN version and the US version. I'll post a new thread soon.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Seems like the item throw and tripping are just random, and theres just random occurances of stuff happening a lot (like m2k tripping) or not at all (like me not seeing DDD throw items). Interesting tho

Best101

Smash Ace
I played the japanese version for 3 weeks and went to 2 tournaments with the japanese version, and didn't see ddd throw a single item. I haven't played the US version yet so i don't know what to comment on the tripping thing. I think m2k knows the difference between a dash attack and a trip, hes a decent player. ^-^
Dedede litterally trips himself when you do his dash-A. The game is pretty slugish without L-canceling so it's pretty easy to do this accidentally. I found out it was an attack because I accidently did it in SSE mode and KOed a few enemies.

I'm not saying this is what he is seeing but it's a possibility that this is what you would be experiencing if you played Dedede a lot.

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
Did you turn them completely off or just set appearing rate to none? Someone said that every item must be turned off invidually here. I guess that's true since I myself have thrown smoke ball once when items were turned to none.

Zek

Smash Ace
I think you're imagining things M2K, I haven't noticed more tripping than usual.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
The character files are exactly the same, but the main executable file (.dol) file is heavily changed. If there's a system change it would be there, but Dedede is exactly the same as he was in the JPN version.

usea

Smash Ace
Making such a bold claim (especially with such an inflammatory thread title) should require a little more evidence than "it happened to me a lot in a match last night."

Seriously. Come on.

To counter your anecdotal evidence, I will supply my own: I've played both versions and noticed absolutely no difference in tripping frequency.

timbu

Smash Apprentice
yup I'm pretty sure when you go to item switch you are just changing the appearing rate to none, not turning each item off.

There's an "all item" item toggle where you can turn them all off instead of doing each one by one, but once you do turn it all off the capsules and such will go away, i think.

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played the Japanese version, but I still think you just plain got unlucky, M2K. I've been playing the US version, and I haven't seen anyone trip 4 times in a minute like you did. It's more like once or twice for both people in an entire match.

I must say, tripping is hands down my least favorite addition to the franchise. What designer honestly thought that was a good idea? I can just see the designers all sitting around a table discussing possible additions when someone says "Hey, you know what's a good idea?! Tripping! We should totally make it so people randomly TRIP!" And then everyone else was like "Woah! That's awesome! Great job! Brilliant!"
C'mon Nintendo. C'mon. I just pray there's some weird non-random thing at work so we can figure it out later and prevent tripping from ever happeneing.

And Best101, I'm pretty sure M2K knows the difference between a dash attack and a trip.

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
**** how could I forget to post my DeDeDe story! So I was playing on battlegrounds in an intense 1v1 with my gangsta Pink fur pelle pelle King DeDeDe against a Marth. It was down to a final stock for both of us and I was winning in terms of percentage -- mid 20s vs his 80s.
So I decide to poke a little before ending the match. I use the side B on him and instead of a waddle doo or dee or even a gordo a friggin GOLDEN HAMMER comes out of me. The dude picked up the hammer and the rest is history. SAKURAI!!! :mad:
LOL, that's freakin' hilarious. And yea, there's definitely not more tripping. I've actually been tripping less in the north american version, a sentiment shared by quite a few other people, it seems.

Banjo2553

Smash Cadet
I'm probably the only person who doesn't mind tripping that much. It never bothered me, really.

Granted, I think the idea of implementing tripping was kinda stupid, but it doesn't bother me.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
I can clarify the mystery of DDD throwing items.

On both versions, DDD will NOT throw items if the items are turned off - but the ITEMS must be turned off, NOT the appearance rate. In other words, if you set the "High - Med - Low - Off" to off, DDD will STILL be able to throw items. However, if you actually turn the items themselves off (with something like the "All Off" button) then he will NOT be able to throw items.

Specifically, manually turning off the "crates" item seems to stop him from throwing things.

US vs Japan has no affect on this.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Well I´ve heard reports earlier that Dedede throwed other items then waddledees and spikeys(correct name?). Didn't happen to me for the like 3 weeks I borrowed a chipped wii and played brawl, maybe a item capsule once or something though.

About it "being impossible" to play online US vs JP if the game mechanics is slightly changed I just have to say that pokemon diamond/pearl ***(1.0) and US had some differences in the sleep inducing moves such as hypnosis.
When the opponent in the japanese version got hit by hypnosis it was guarantied it had to sleep 2 rounds(or more) like after using rest, while in the american version you could wake up right away. While playing online *** vs *** it´s effect was like I mentioned earlier for *** 1.0, but playing *** vs US had the effect "change" and work like in the US version, just thought that´s something to mention.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
tripping is random. as for myself, iv been tripping less in the US version...

as for ur dedede item stuff. i tested it. debunked. its false. ur settings musta been messed up

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
i think is random after all, sometimes i trip exagerating just once per fight, and in one fight i tripped after the word "go". I just tapped forward with sonic and he tripped.

is just weird.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I do know that DDD threw some kind of container at me the other day which contained a smash ball. The capsule knocked me off the stage, and he picked up the smash ball, and then proceeded to kill me with an onslaught of Waddle Dees.

No, seriously, what the ****?

This was with items on "none," by the way. I haven't tried this with all of them off, though.

GIGA-SkullKid

Smash Apprentice
i believe DDD can throw items, when i first pulld a beam sword out of the ground with peach my head nearly exploded

kr3wman

Smash Master
Well I´ve heard reports earlier that Dedede throwed other items then waddledees and spikeys(correct name?). Didn't happen to me for the like 3 weeks I borrowed a chipped wii and played brawl, maybe a item capsule once or something though.
Those are Gordos. Jesus, am I the only who played old school kirby games?

absox

Smash Rookie
dude the tripping is to prevent users from abusing DashDance...

still a nuisance though. and dashdance isnt even all that useful.

Top Bottom