• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping (ink dropping)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Oh, but it does really change things.

IF it's indeed completely random then it endangers competative play. Imagine that you are about to make the finishing blow on your opponent and win $20,000. Now imagine if when you go to make your move, you "trip." Well the opponent recovers and makes the finishing blow on you and you lose. Is that fair?

That's why it should be removed, or at least made controlable by a patch. I know that this is supposed to be funny, but it really can shift the pace of a match.

gnosis

Smash Lord
This is stupid. Like, really really stupid.

I'm never 'SAKURAAAAAI!!!' about Brawl, and if there's an argument about it, I'm almost always defending the game.

But this is really, really stupid...

Phred

Smash Journeyman
^^Oh, but it does really change things.

IF it's indeed completely random then it endangers competative play. Imagine that you are about to make the finishing blow on your opponent and win $20,000. Now imagine if when you go to make your move, you "trip." Well the opponent recovers and makes the finishing blow on you and you lose. Is that fair?

That's why it should be removed, or at least made controlable by a patch. I know that this is supposed to be funny, but it really can shift the pace of a match.
Don't dash so close to your opponent they can take advantage of a few frames of falling down?
It's probably as trivial as tripping on a banana peel.

Zorygon-P

Smash Rookie
Actually, I touched on this in my post.
How likely is this to happen? Not very likely. If you really want to whine about it, you can go ahead and whine about it to the people hosting the tournament, but that is no reason to make a freakin' petition to Nintendo to remove it.

You know, I thought Nintendo was making a game to sell that people would have fun with.
Apparently you think they're making a game that has to be exactly what you want so that you can win money.
If you're going to play a game so competitively, you shouldn't complain about something random that, in fact, may not have as much an impact as you think it would.

SmashNewb

Smash Rookie
Tripping randomly is not good, don't know why some of you defend it...
Imagine your doing a combo thats huge and you trip in the middle of it? it obviously won't feel good and people will have a tendency to blame it
You'll be hearing people say "your lucky I tripped" wtf, ******** plz remove pl0x

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Actually, I touched on this in my post.
How likely is this to happen? Not very likely. If you really want to whine about it, you can go ahead and whine about it to the people hosting the tournament, but that is no reason to make a freakin' petition to Nintendo to remove it.

You know, I thought Nintendo was making a game to sell that people would have fun with.
Apparently you think they're making a game that has to be exactly what you want so that you can win money.
If you're going to play a game so competitively, you shouldn't complain about something random that, in fact, may not have as much an impact as you think it would.
Wow. That's all I can say... wow. I haven't posted here in a very long time, and have been mostly lurking lately, but seeing this kind of ignorance is enough to make me come out of my dormancy.

Do you seriously you call yourself a competitive player? That's the first question you need to answer before you even have a right to post this. Smashboards is a forum wherecompetitive players gather to share ideas. There are obviously casual players here, as well, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, when casuals try to criticize the competitive, that's when trouble breaks out. We want this game to be as competitive as possible. If there is a random luck factor that will have an influence on gameplay, the game's competitiveness is reduced. If you were a competitive player surely you would understand this.

Competitive games are supposed to be based off of skill. If two players have similar skill, then luck factors can easily turn the match upside down, and cause for someone to win when they would have otherwise lost. There is nothing skillful about luck. It just happens. You claim people have more fun when they control less about the game. Who are you to tell us how we have fun? The more you can control the more you can tweak the game to suit your tastes, and competitive players don't like luck. If, as everything we've seen up to now suggests, that tripping is completely random, then matches will be won and lost over it, ones with high stakes, and it would detract from the value of the game for competitive gaming. Smash has always been more than just a party game, and we want it to continue that trend. If you don't understand that, don't post here.

F@G

Smash Rookie
Wow. That's all I can say... wow. I haven't posted here in a very long time, and have been mostly lurking lately, but seeing this kind of ignorance is enough to make me come out of my dormancy.

Do you seriously you call yourself a competitive player? That's the first question you need to answer before you even have a right to post this. Smashboards is a forum wherecompetitive players gather to share ideas. There are obviously casual players here, as well, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, when casuals try to criticize the competitive, that's when trouble breaks out. We want this game to be as competitive as possible. If there is a random luck factor that will have an influence on gameplay, the game's competitiveness is reduced. If you were a competitive player surely you would understand this.

Competitive games are supposed to be based off of skill. If two players have similar skill, then luck factors can easily turn the match upside down, and cause for someone to win when they would have otherwise lost. There is nothing skillful about luck. It just happens. You claim people have more fun when they control less about the game. Who are you to tell us how we have fun? The more you can control the more you can tweak the game to suit your tastes, and competitive players don't like luck. If, as everything we've seen up to now suggests, that tripping is completely random, then matches will be won and lost over it, ones with high stakes, and it would detract from the value of the game for competitive gaming. Smash has always been more than just a party game, and we want it to continue that trend. If you don't understand that, don't post here.
Hell yeah pwnd that *****!
=P

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
So seriously, do you think it would be effective to try to get this completely useless and detrimental occurence removed? It's the equivalent of random exploding capsules really.

TheLoneDeranger

Smash Rookie
I found a pretty interesting glitch regarding this, maybe Ill make a post so more people will see it.
On the Ice Climbers' level where it's sliding down a mountain, if you run on the top platform, and then let go of your joystick and slide toward an edge, you can get stuck in the slide animation on the edge for quite a while (a second or two at least). I've found that you can do the trip/ink drop a bit more than usual by messing around with trying to dash out or doing half circles on the joystick. I haven't found a pattern to getting inkdrop out of it yet and perhaps it's meaningless, but I definitely get more trips when I do this. Note the character I used was Samus, I haven't tested it on anybody else yet (curse school/work).

Blatherskite

Smash Apprentice
It's such a mind numbingly stupid mechanic. I mean, why would they even bother? It's so trivial.

Maybe it has to do with how fast you flick the forward button, or how long you hold the forward button before you release it back into the neutral position.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
People who think that unpredictablility in tourney play are people who actually suck. TF2 has crits and still has a huge competitive community.
there are random start location in some starcraft maps and SC players make ****loads of money
10 characters

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
So seriously, do you think it would be effective to try to get this completely useless and detrimental occurence removed? It's the equivalent of random exploding capsules really.
I'd love to see it gone, but I don't see how, though. Nintendo probably isn't going to release online updates for this, so even if we're successful, the most we'll get is the release of version 1-1 not having it, meaning all of us who got brawl the first day will still have it on our copies, and would have to go out of our way to sell and re-buy the game when v1-1 is released, if it's found out that it lacks it. Of course, for all we know, there might be an option already in the menus to turn it off and we just haven't found it yet ;)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I found a pretty interesting glitch regarding this, maybe Ill make a post so more people will see it.
On the Ice Climbers' level where it's sliding down a mountain, if you run on the top platform, and then let go of your joystick and slide toward an edge, you can get stuck in the slide animation on the edge for quite a while (a second or two at least). I've found that you can do the trip/ink drop a bit more than usual by messing around with trying to dash out or doing half circles on the joystick. I haven't found a pattern to getting inkdrop out of it yet and perhaps it's meaningless, but I definitely get more trips when I do this. Note the character I used was Samus, I haven't tested it on anybody else yet (curse school/work).
Wait, so you've found a way to trip more? Try specifically not doing those things to see if you can trip less.

@Smashchu. Competative smash should be based on skill as much as possible. That's why we removed items, that's why we removed stages, that's why this needs to go. If it is completely uncontrollable, and can have a major impact on the outcome of a match (like who wins), then we should do everything we can to keep it out of competative play.

That's why I suggested the make it controlable part. I'm sure if there was a way to actually harness it then it'd make a nice technique, but as it is this tripping is no more than a gamble, which we want as little as possible of in smash. If you want random elements in a competative game, then go fine a game like that, but the majority of competative smashers don't want random **** interfering with matches.

And if you don't go to tournaments, then why should you care what our tournament settings are. Maybe you should just use wi-fi to find more people that want to play by your rules instead of trying to change ours.:mad:

TheLoneDeranger

Smash Rookie
Well considering the increase in tripping only happens when you're stuck in a slide animation on an icy stage, it's pretty easy not to do that. I think it could be useful to be able to find some method to be able to trip on command considering you can probably tech out of it. Anybody else with brawl, try it out and see if you can get something the happen.

SmashNewb

Smash Rookie
Guess they should have called it super smash party. When I first watched the competitive vids, I was like man this is pretty slow but because I played 64 for a long time, I accepted it. Then I saw there was no L-cancelling. Looking at how things are shaping up, melee >> brawl, I really hope not though since I preordered this already!!

TheLoneDeranger

Smash Rookie
Guess they should have called it super smash party. When I first watched the competitive vids, I was like man this is pretty slow but because I played 64 for a long time, I accepted it. Then I saw there was no L-cancelling. Looking at how things are shaping up, melee >> brawl, I really hope not though since I preordered this already!!
If all you're worried about is L-cancelling you're in for a very very sad surprise.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@Smashchu. Competative smash should be based on skill as much as possible. That's why we removed items, that's why we removed stages, that's why this needs to go. If it is completely uncontrollable, and can have a major impact on the outcome of a match (like who wins), then we should do everything we can to keep it out of competative play.

That's why I suggested the make it controlable part. I'm sure if there was a way to actually harness it then it'd make a nice technique, but as it is this tripping is no more than a gamble, which we want as little as possible of in smash. If you want random elements in a competative game, then go fine a game like that, but the majority of competative smashers don't want random **** interfering with matches.

And if you don't go to tournaments, then why should you care what our tournament settings are. Maybe you should just use wi-fi to find more people that want to play by your rules instead of trying to change ours.:mad:
Point is random=/=no skill. In fact, one game magazine (EGM or Computer Gaming magazine) said crits help TF2 because it will end stalemates. Keep in mind that the game has a large competitive community.

Thing is, there are other competitive games that involve skill but still have random stuff. It doesn't hurt them in any way, so why is it a big deal for Smash Brothers?

Zorygon-P

Smash Rookie
Do you seriously you call yourself a competitive player? That's the first question you need to answer before you even have a right to post this. Smashboards is a forum where competitive players gather to share ideas. There are obviously casual players here, as well, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, when casuals try to criticize the competitive, that's when trouble breaks out. We want this game to be as competitive as possible. If there is a random luck factor that will have an influence on gameplay, the game's competitiveness is reduced. If you were a competitive player surely you would understand this.

I'm not a competitive player to the point that I would whine about something obviously put into the game for comedic effect, like tripping. I don't spend hours a day scrutinizing every aspect of the game to control everything and boast my skill over others, nor do I play any game for money.

Call me a casual, call me a scrub, call me whatever derogatory insult you wish - I believe somewhere along the line you've lost sight of just what Smash is... a game. Something made for entertainment.

"You claim people have more fun when they control less about the game."
You honestly have fun when you're focused on controlling everything about the game?
If all of your focus is centered on control, how do you enjoy it?

"Competitive games are supposed to be based off of skill. If two players have similar skill, then luck factors can easily turn the match upside down, and cause for someone to win when they would have otherwise lost. There is nothing skillful about luck."
Then why did they add tripping? Why did they add items, explosive capsules, and all the stages that have random effects? Smash is and always has been a game that embraced unpredictability.

"If, as everything we've seen up to now suggests, that tripping is completely random, then matches will be won and lost over it, ones with high stakes, and it would detract from the value of the game for competitive gaming."
Maybe you shouldn't use Smash for such uber-competitive gaming?

"Smash has always been more than just a party game, and we want it to continue that trend."
Smash has always been a game for entertainment, a game with many options that allow people to play how they want. I don't really have a right to criticize you, I guess, but that doesn't mean I can't put forward my opinion.

"If you don't understand that, don't post here."
I'll stop posting if I'm deemed to have broken the rules on this site - which would undoubtedly lead to me being banned.

Please, people. Please, let me point out that you are all getting bent out of shape over a comedic effect. Please don't take it so seriously. I honestly believe Smash was not meant to be taken so seriously.

gnosis

Smash Lord
10 characters
Actually, unpredictability isn't inherently a problem, so to an extent, I agree. Dealing with things probabilistically and allowing enough matches to smooth out any anomalies, can easily allow for a game to be highly competitive. This is a more complex topic than that summary though, as the discussion goes into what kinds of things are random, how much interaction the player has with it, etc... for example, a 1-match-per-set coin toss tournament would be a pretty silly idea.

Still, it's arguable whether or not unpredictability can help a competition, or if competition thrives despite unpredictability, thus determining whether it's a good design idea or not, but that's besides the point...

Because the real problem here is taking control away from the player's character in a -fighting game-. It's not so much game breaking as it is just frustrating/annoying/etc... it ultimately has the same effect as having someone, from time-to-time and beyond your control, push a few random buttons on your controller. It's just... stupid.

And for anyone saying that Brawl may not have been designed as a competitive game, so considering this a flaw is a matter of perspective, we know that.

The thing is we're judging it as a community deciding whether or not we want to play it competitively; so when we say something was a design flaw or a bad decision, we don't mean universally, we mean it's a flaw in the game as far as competition goes. Don't waste your time pointing out the casual side of things in such a discussion, or things we already know; it's completely out of place.

Also, those saying that we should just give up on Brawl as a competitive game and play it 'for fun'. Well, that's what we're here to decide, so if you would please quit interrupting us that would be nice :D.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Minimizing randomness should be done when possible. Believe it or not competitive tournaments used to have items allowed. They were banned because through all the tourney experiences they were found unnecessary.

So no one has translated the Japanese manual yet? Not even mentions of this on Japanese Smash boards? Surely Sakurai would want to explain something like this, especially if hes hoping to make his game stupid-proof.

SmashNewb

Smash Rookie
If Sakurai really wanted to attract the casuals, he should have made another game. Seriously, hardcore games have become a thing of the past for nintendo...

make moar mario partayz and encourage those horzesz petz hamstaz elephantz unicornz gams pl0x /saracasm

TheLoneDeranger

Smash Rookie
Point is random=/=no skill. In fact, one game magazine (EGM or Computer Gaming magazine) said crits help TF2 because it will end stalemates. Keep in mind that the game has a large competitive community.

Thing is, there are other competitive games that involve skill but still have random stuff. It doesn't hurt them in any way, so why is it a big deal for Smash Brothers?
First, smash matches can't be stalemated assuming stall exploits are banned.

Second, single character matchups would be much more affected by random item drop than say, a team of 20 people, for a few reasons, the most glaringly obvious of which is: character speed would largely determine who got it, random placement creates unnecessary and uncontrollable imbalances at random, which definitely strictly goes against having a battle of skill. Don't give me the "but some characters have random awesomeness too" argument because that is much different. Since the randomness is an intrinsic value of the character, a good character versus character strategy can be formulated based on that.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a competitive player to the point that I would whine about something obviously put into the game for comedic effect, like tripping. I don't spend hours a day scrutinizing every aspect of the game to control everything and boast my skill over others, nor do I play any game for money.

Call me a casual, call me a scrub, call me whatever derogatory insult you wish - I believe somewhere along the line you've lost sight of just what Smash is... a game. Something made for entertainment.

You honestly have fun when you're focused on controlling everything about the game?

"Competitive games are supposed to be based off of skill. If two players have similar skill, then luck factors can easily turn the match upside down, and cause for someone to win when they would have otherwise lost. There is nothing skillful about luck."
Then why did they add tripping? Why did they add items, explosive capsules, and all the stages that have random effects? Smash is and always has been a game that embraced unpredictability.

"If, as everything we've seen up to now suggests, that tripping is completely random, then matches will be won and lost over it, ones with high stakes, and it would detract from the value of the game for competitive gaming."

"Smash has always been more than just a party game, and we want it to continue that trend."
Smash has always been a game for entertainment, a game with many options that allow people to play how they want. I don't really have a right to criticize you, I guess, but that doesn't mean I can't put forward my opinion.

I'll stop posting if I'm deemed to have broken the rules on this site - which would undoubtedly lead to me being banned.

Please, people. Please, let me point out that you are all getting bent out of shape over a comedic effect. Please don't take it so seriously. I honestly believe Smash was not meant to be taken so seriously.
Don't talk about things you don't understand. You say we take video games too seriously, but here you are trying to convince us the way it was designed. We've been through 6 great years of competitive Smash so far and it has been awesome. It proves that Smash is just fine without all the randomness. If you don't think that way fine, but smug comments about how we take a game too seriously makes you look arrogant.

Whether it wasn't meant to be taken seriously or not, Melee is a highly technical fighter. Your not going to get cookies for playing "The way it was intended." Game devs aren't perfect, and often the competitive scene influences Game development more than you think. So I don't get why people are so bitter that the Competitive scene has evolved so much.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^They're bitter because they think we shouldn't have fun competing. They want us to play the way they do because they don't like the way we play, even though we don't bother them and it has no effect on the way we play. That's why posts like his should be a suspendable offense. This is a competative board whether you like it or not, and as such any bashes at competative play (which has absolutely no effect on casual play) should be punished.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
In the cases where I've tripped doing a side smash or side B, I was using the normal stick and not the c-stick. As it happens more and more, I'm convinced its a result of tapping your stick to the side, i.e. the same motion as a dash. Its just sometimes the trip occurs even though I also pressed A or B at the same time, not intended a dash but just a smash or side-B in the direction I tapped.

I have still not nailed down any reliable way to reproduce or avoid doing it though.
Quoting this guy because all you people ignored him, being too busy doing more important stuff like flaming the newbie or talking about how the game sucks because of tripping.

Come on people, We should want to see posts here showing cumulative data and testing progress, or translated Japanese manuals, or *something* more constructive than casual vs competitive flaming and predictable complaining. Right now this thread is just filled with hot air...

leafgreen386

Dirty camper

And we're making smash as entertaining as possible for us.

If all you're doing is fixing the game so you'll enjoy it the most how do you enjoy it? Essentially the same thing. Smash gives a large degree of control for us to tweak to however we see fit, and if we enjoy the game more when there's no random factors, who are you to judge us?

Why did they add the ability to turn off items, and stages, and add all the stages without random effects? Smash is and always has been a game that has embraced option and the choice to play how you want.

Maybe smash has been completely viable for "uber-competitive gaming" up until now, and we want it to continue that way?

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion. There is something wrong with trying to force that opinion on others. We want to play the game competitively. The game allows us to do that. So play how you want and leave us alone.

The previous two games suggest otherwise, with the existence of advanced techs, which heavily suggests that they wanted to put something in there for hardcore players, so that the game would be more than just a party game if we wanted to make it that. If melee didn't have the depth it did, I highly doubt we would've played it for all 7 years we did.

The comment saying not to post here was in direct reference to this thread. I didn't mean smashboards as a whole. This thread was made for discussion by competitive-minded players. We honestly don't care what you think we should or shouldn't do, and would appreciate it if you would just keep your opinions about it to yourself.

Zorygon-P

Smash Rookie
Don't talk about things you don't understand. You say we take video games too seriously, but here you are trying to convince us the way it was designed. We've been through 6 great years of competitive Smash so far and it has been awesome. It proves that Smash is just fine without all the randomness. If you don't think that way fine, but smug comments about how we take a game too seriously makes you look arrogant.
You think my comments are smug?
Please don't. They weren't intended that way at all. I'm arguing my point, yes, but I'm trying to do so without the whole 'resorting to insults' or 'general rage' that seems to be associated with someone coming from my position.

I do believe my points still stand, however. If Smash was truly meant to be competitive, why does it have so many random aspects that are unbefitting to competitive gaming? Why do you have to strip the game down so much to make it competitive? Something about that just seems wrong to me.

Whether it wasn't meant to be taken seriously or not, Melee is a highly technical fighter. Your not going to get cookies for playing "The way it was intended." Game devs aren't perfect, and often the competitive scene influences Game development more than you think. So I don't get why people are so bitter that the Competitive scene has evolved so much.
However, Brawl is not Melee; and of course game devs aren't perfect - nobody's perfect.

As for people being "bitter" towards Smash competitions...
People hate Smash Tournament players because they believe you* believe the only way to play is to exploit glitches (Wavedashing is the most commonly cited example here, regardless of its status as a glitch or not,) and to strip the game of most of the playable stages and characters to the point that the game becomes "No items, Fox only, Final Destination" most of the time.
(*"you" is meant to refer to "tourney***s" in general.)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Go Leafgreen.

@Phyvo- I suppose you're right. I don't have a copy of brawl to test it myself, but I'm not really helping by having competative vs. casual debates either.

We should be finding a direct way to control tripping (or at least how to not trip) rather than simply complaining about the problem.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
You think my comments are smug?
Please don't. They weren't intended that way at all. I'm arguing my point, yes, but I'm trying to do so without the whole 'resorting to insults' or 'general rage' that seems to be associated with someone coming from my position.

I do believe my points still stand, however. If Smash was truly meant to be competitive, why does it have so many random aspects that are unbefitting to competitive gaming? Why do you have to strip the game down so much to make it competitive? Something about that just seems wrong to me.

However, Brawl is not Melee; and of course game devs aren't perfect - nobody's perfect.

As for people being "bitter" towards Smash competitions...
People hate Smash Tournament players because they believe you* believe the only way to play is to exploit glitches (Wavedashing is the most commonly cited example here, regardless of its status as a glitch or not,) and to strip the game of most of the playable stages and characters to the point that the game becomes "No items, Fox only, Final Destination" most of the time.
(*"you" is meant to refer to "tourney***s" in general.)
Your still talking about things you don't understand.

If you really think we are "stripping" the game to make it competitive then how has the scene gone on so long? The random aspects can be taken out and you can see that Sakurai left us a great amount of techniques to use. Wavedashing is the only thing close to an exploit.

If you really think its such a random game, why don't you explain Ledgeteching, Smash DI, Dash Dancing, Jump Canceling, Crouch Canceling, Short hops(WHich CPUS even use), Powershielding, Lightshielding, or L-canceling? Are you telling me those aren't befit for a competitive game?

So yeah, do you think any of us could get a hand on that manual? Or at least a manual scan? Importers maybe?

EDIT: Hm, Leaf beat me to it and covered all my bases...

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
There was a lot of flaming going on as I read through this thread so I didn't read it all. If I say something someone else has I apologize.

Through testing, some friends and I have found that you can trip by pressing one random direction (not turning or anything else). I mean...possibly there is something more to it. But we have had it happen by just pressing forward(Something we tested by taping forward alone over and over again slowly).
As for doing anything to cancel out of it... as far as I know there is no way to instantly cancel it. You need to wait until you are actually fallen and then you can do your getting up attack or roll.

Burumage

Smash Cadet
I really hope this gets figured out >.>

Still, if it really does turn out to be random, I don't think it will hurt competitive play much.
From the videos i've seen the trip didn't seem too punishable. It doesn't last very long and its just as random for the the opponent as it is for the person who trips.

gnosis

Smash Lord
It seems right now like there's some variable in the code somewhere that comes into action whenever someone is grounded and they push the stick in a horizontal direction, and adds a small chance of tripping.

So now dashing is a gamble? (Or forward smashing without the c-stick, etc.)

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
How consistently can you guys pull it off?

I was thinking maybe its time-based, or jump-based. I knew Sakurai wanted to up ground-game, but making you risk tripping is pretty annoying. I've seen people trip into grabs this way. I mean, its a funny taunt, but just to add comedy? Is he punishing you for not staying in the air?

Zek

Smash Ace
I have a really, really hard time believing that tripping is totally random. There just isn't any conceivable reason that they would do that. I still think it must be intended as a penalty towards some specific kind of behavior. Maybe it's something weird, like the amount of time spent on the ground/in the air, how often you dodge/roll, etc. But there must be some sort of method to it.

Magus420

Smash Master
Someone should try this:

1) Stand still with nothing pressed.
2) Pause the game.
3) With the game paused, push and hold fully in a direction to dash.
4) Un-pause and continue to hold the direction without doing anything else to begin a dash.

If able to sometimes trip this way I'd say it's most definitely random, since it's a controlled input and eliminates any chance of the timing of the input from neutral to dash position affecting it. It was said earlier that it's been done as the first thing they did at the very start of a match, so it's not related to the things you were doing previously or anything.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Someone should try this:

1) Stand still with nothing pressed.
2) Pause the game.
3) With the game paused, push and hold fully in a direction to dash.
4) Un-pause and continue to hold the direction without doing anything else to begin a dash.

If able to sometimes trip this way I'd say it's most definitely random, since it's a controlled input and eliminates any chance of the timing of the input from neutral to dash position affecting it. It was said earlier that it's been done as the first thing they did at the very start of a match, so it's not related to the things you were doing previously or anything.
Did your test and I tripped =/
Random falling ftl

Test Results (done with pit):
Trip/Dash
1/16
1/130
1/120
1/79
1/25

Top Bottom