• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Triforce of Inspiration: the last piece of the Tetraforce is...

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Bless this build... I need to stop playing this right now it's too good. The buffed wave dash is exactly what I want for Zelda. Wave landing out of aerials feels so smooth, and it feels far from broken. PMDT why not? It's such a small change that makes me love her movement even more.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, glad you're liking it so far. This week took a huge toll on my time, and though i'm happy for it, it was a little overwhelming. I'd really appreciate your feedback and criticism because I'd like to make things even nicer, and I think some gfx turned out better than others. Let me explain the different decisions and tasks I had to do so you can help me with advice.

First of all, I knew I wanted to redo a lot of her magical gfx because they seem a little... just not special enough. But just deciding on what exactly to do was really a challenge that took a lot of time this week. My ideas were: 1) keep everything a similar effect but somehow better 2) do a crazy element/spellcaster build where every attack has a strong spell like feel to it (ice jab, electric up air, that sort of thing) 3) do a magic themed build where her magical normals are more similar and seem to have their own element

I honestly couldn't decide what would be best, so I just had to pick something and go with it. Then everything became trying to execute the idea accurately, which I'm still unsure of. ftilt could be better, upsmash could be better, really unsure about the start up of teleport.. ect..

I like this project, but I don't think if pmdt were to include new gfx overhalled for zelda, that this build is perfect for that, rather, I think its a work in progress, which is why I need you guys' advice! What can be better? Why do you like what you like? Suggestions? What do you think of a holy elemental themed gfx build compared to other possible design concepts?

justanull

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, glad you're liking it so far. This week took a huge toll on my time, and though i'm happy for it, it was a little overwhelming. I'd really appreciate your feedback and criticism because I'd like to make things even nicer, and I think some gfx turned out better than others. Let me explain the different decisions and tasks I had to do so you can help me with advice.

First of all, I knew I wanted to redo a lot of her magical gfx because they seem a little... just not special enough. But just deciding on what exactly to do was really a challenge that took a lot of time this week. My ideas were: 1) keep everything a similar effect but somehow better 2) do a crazy element/spellcaster build where every attack has a strong spell like feel to it (ice jab, electric up air, that sort of thing) 3) do a magic themed build where her magical normals are more similar and seem to have their own element

I honestly couldn't decide what would be best, so I just had to pick something and go with it. Then everything became trying to execute the idea accurately, which I'm still unsure of. ftilt could be better, upsmash could be better, really unsure about the start up of teleport.. ect..

I like this project, but I don't think if pmdt were to include new gfx overhalled for zelda, that this build is perfect for that, rather, I think its a work in progress, which is why I need you guys' advice! What can be better? Why do you like what you like? Suggestions? What do you think of a holy elemental themed gfx build compared to other possible design concepts?
Did you change any properties besides visual effects? Jab felt a bit different.

The positives:

I loved the teleport effect, as I said, both on startup and cancel/ending. It felt satisfying to use like the current one didn't, in a weird way, and made it a lot more satisfying to use. F-smash looked amazing, I enjoyed the idea of up-smash, up-tilt looked cleaner and more powerful and before. In general, if you added the new sparkling to an effect, I liked it. Nair looked beautiful. The effect on her hands during her grab was more evocative of her performing magic.

Additional thoughts:

Jab/grab are a bit deceiving now, but that's probably okay since they're obvious when they connect and there's a tradition of disjoints anyway. Down-air's additional lightning effect seemed a bit out of place when it triggered off of a non-sweetspot hit. The spiral effects on f-smash, teleport, and nair (rising/falling) look great and feel more appropriate for her generally spinny animations. Up smash looked more like what was actually happening than just having her hand trail sparkle, but felt a bit empty.

Maybe have up-smash's effect have a similar theme to the current f-smash effect? I'm not sure what exactly could be done, though (sorry).

There's a few cues that are off, but it all feels more like Zelda than 3.5.

edit:

In general, I loved the teleport/f-smash 'theme' and your new magical effect.

Maybe replace up-air's fire with some sort of explosion like the current teleport exit?

edit2:

Went back and looked at the effects again (it had been several hours). I feel that they are all improvements; looked again at f-smash, it's perfect. Up smash is fine too, nevermind about the looking ineffective bit. Is it possible to have the down-air effect trigger only on the sweetspot and then only on aerial opponents?

Last edited:

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to have the down-air effect trigger only on the sweetspot and then only on aerial opponents?
apparantly not. I've really tried hard on that one, even getting help from forums but it seems to be a problem with the code not functioning how it should. I agree, the extra lightning effect is super iffy, and definitely should never fly if it happens whenever you get a whiff. Another bummer for me is that that lightning gfx doesn't respond to resizing or rotation, so initially when I wanted it to trigger during a sweetspot fair or bair, this is impossible : (

Upsmash I don't really like but settled for it for now. I'm thinking about taking out the orange and blue star gfx, which was original, and replacing it with the gold circle ones to make it more consistent with other changes.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
This was a gorgeous, Elf. I struggled to find a color that fit the holy priestess vibe, though the pink OoT outfit worked well. Farore's Wind looks amazing as usual, and I noticed how you spend up the start up and travel time. It seems dangerously good, but I loved it. Can I get blue glitter without the buffed teleport? And can I have a blue Din's Fire pwease?

Last edited:

Downdraft

Smash Ace

I examined everything closely in training and will breakdown each normal, even if you didn't alter it.

Jab: I prefer the original sound effect.

Dash attack: Good.

Pummel: Good; visually fits with Dash attack.

U-throw: Good; visually fits with Dash attack.

F-throw, B-throw: No golden sparkles on release like U-throw perhaps because they're too fast or you were exhausted from the efforts you'd already undergone with other moves.

D-throw: I tested against DK and couldn't really see the attack. The final modification to this attack should be visible on characters of all sizes.

F-smash: Good; visually fits with Dash attack.

U-smash: Good; visually fits with Dash attack.

D-smash: Fine since it's not a magical attack.

U-tilt: I like it, but if you want her normals to satisfy one major theme, then it's out of place.

F-tilt: I like that the graphics match the hitboxes. I agree that it could be better, but I wouldn't mind it staying the way it is if it had a better sound effect. The old sound effect just doesn't fit with the current graphics in my opinion.

D-tilt: D-tilt sort of has a magical effect since it has meteor hitboxes. It'd be cool if there were sparkles visually denoting the location and activity of the meteor hitboxes.

U-air: Fine, but if you want to follow a theme, then you could make or find a golden "firework" animation for the attack that would fit nicely with moves like the current Dash attack, Jab, U-smash, etc.

F-air, B-air: The originals are fine. These are the last normal attacks I'd worry about changing. They could be adjusted to fit the theme you decide on later.

D-air: The lightning graphic should be removed since it goes through the stage and activates on the sourspot. Plus you had issues rotating that graphic for the lightning kicks. Also, a better lightning effect for her aerial kicks would be animated like an actual lightning strike. I liked the idea though.

N-air: Good; visually fits with Dash attack.

Overall, I'm impressed and admire the innovation. I could be content with the current holy priestess; it's better than the Brawl animations, and those were satisfying enough.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
Well, here it is, guys, this weeks build is an improvement of the previous, holy themed gfx. It didn't feel right righting a new poem for the what is only a continuation of the same concept, so I apologize there. I polished up pretty much everything i had done before and changed some of the gfx on fthrow and bthrow, but while passable, those aren't what i would consider a final makeover version yet. I've spent a ton of time on this this week, but just don't have it in me to completely overhall those tonight, and tomorrow I will not have time for it. I also forgot to try making upair something different, but you can probably expect a revised version including that later in the week. Also, improved some of the sparkles on her pummel and dthrow, but realize that it isn't possible to make gfx change size based on opponent size (you're thinking of hitbox flags) and it's beyond me to actually add another element to the game to achieve this. However, on most character's i'd say the effect of a holy element hitbox flag is there for dthrow and pummel. Ftilt has a magic sfx now to go with the sparklier gfx, but i left the slash element there because i though it made sense with the arm swing and trajectory it sends. I also, as requested, made the aerial teleport it's current 3.5 speed. Whether this is tounament legal is debateable. I did revert the teleburn's damage to 4 (with the exact same kb it had in 3.5) so that, along with the quicker aerial teleport were the only real changes the previous build had. But in order to make the theme appropriate i had to remove some of the electric element from her multihits, except for the final hits of course. Nair, upsmash, dthrow and pummel are not electric, except for the final hits of nair and upsmash, but whether this is significant on the multihits themselves is debateable. fsmash, for instance, is normal element during the multihit part and has no problem functioning as a grinder until the final burst. Dthrow and pummel make no different whatsoever since those multihits can't be sdi'd anyways.

And finally, @luxingo worked super hard on making these giffs so everyone can see even if you don't have a wii. Thanks to him, and for all of you for your feedback! enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jx0qq7114c7xuiw/Holy_Priestess_revised.rar

https://gfycat.com/DenseConventionalAmericanbittern
https://gfycat.com/EnormousCourteousGrackle
https://gfycat.com/AnotherLiquidDragon

Last edited:

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I look forward to this week's installation of your custom Zelda builds and will provide feedback tomorrow. Rest easy. :)

Last edited:

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
A word of caution, don't use this build with the OoT costume because the combined file sizes make the game freeze

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I just finished testing this build. There's not much to say. You incorporated the feedback from the first version. The aerial kicks are homogeneous. F-tilt is better. Only visual outliers are U-tilt and U-air. All other magical attacks have the golden sparkles or rings. I hope the PMDT will add this in 3.6. There's nothing wrong with a visual overhaul to her moveset. Smash 4 did it, albeit poorly. Now it's (y)our turn.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
I just finished testing this build. There's not much to say. You incorporated the feedback from the first version. The aerial kicks are homogeneous. F-tilt is better. Only visual outliers are U-tilt and U-air. All other magical attacks have the golden sparkles or rings. I hope the PMDT will add this in 3.6. There's nothing wrong with a visual overhaul to her moveset. Smash 4 did it, albeit poorly. Now it's (y)our turn.
I could do uptilt i guess. I like the rainbow personally, but i know it doesn't make sense. Upair, hwoever, I'm kind of ambivalent about changing from an explosion but i guess i should try something and see how it goes. There aren't a lot of yellow gfx actually so unless i make it all electricity, it might be somewhat weird

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I could do uptilt i guess. I like the rainbow personally, but i know it doesn't make sense. Upair, hwoever, I'm kind of ambivalent about changing from an explosion but i guess i should try something and see how it goes. There aren't a lot of yellow gfx actually so unless i make it all electricity, it might be somewhat weird
I like the rainbow too; it really comes down to whether or not you want her normals to be homogeneous. The default Zelda has the purple magic and electric sparkles on all of her magic attacks except her throws: the homogenization of her throws was nice. As for up-air, I was thinking of those golden fireworks, since that's very fitting for an explosion. However, it's a little thing just like U-tilt that doesn't really need changing.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
fyi, Zelda never really had any purple on her attacks themselves. Alot of the 'electric' look that we think of with zelda's attacks come from them being electric 'element' which is indicated as a hitbox flag. Other elements include fire, darkness, normal, and slash but there's a lot more. hitbox flags indicate what gfx to play on the opponent's body, which is how when mario shoots a fireball and it hits you from across stage, the game knows to place fire gfx around your body no matter where you are. the electric effect of having 1.5 hitlag to hit opponents while the attacker only experiences normal hitlag is an inseparable effect from the purplish electric sparks that surround an opponent's body automatically when subjected to said attack.

I'll try something different with upair though

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
You mean Farore's? Also, I just viewed them. Has anyone had success with jab -> f-tilt -> jab -> f-tilt? That's the beginning of the 3rd GIF, and it's a combo I don't recall ever seeing.
Jab has really good IASA frames and CPU's have wretched DI. It can work but jab often has unreliable hit-boxes that can be ASDI'd in all sorts of directions. You still have commit to a laggy move if you want links like this. Jab>dilt is more reliable.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Then we need to find out who's in charge of character graphics and animations. We need to ask them to include the teleport effect and incorporate Hyrule Warriors Zelda as an alt costume.
Nanobuds does a large portion of graphics, at least when it comes to models and alts. He'd be a good place to start asking. I'm not tagging him here though because he gets enough attention as is haha.

I think either Downdraft or 4tlas and I were talking about what it would be like to have two Din's. It'd be interesting to see that incoporated and how it effected play. Hopefully one of them reads this because I am too lazy to tag haha

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Nanobuds does a large portion of graphics, at least when it comes to models and alts. He'd be a good place to start asking. I'm not tagging him here though because he gets enough attention as is haha.

I think either Downdraft or 4tlas and I were talking about what it would be like to have two Din's. It'd be interesting to see that incoporated and how it effected play. Hopefully one of them reads this because I am too lazy to tag haha
It was me, and you'd have to specify how manual detonation would work. Are the Din's set and detonated in a preset order?

justanull

Smash Cadet
It was me, and you'd have to specify how manual detonation would work. Are the Din's set and detonated in a preset order?
I think it would probably be "best" if it had a "smash" side-b system wherein the smash deployed a fireball and non smash detonated all of them.
Easiest would probably be 1 set 2 set 1 explode 2 explode, but I'd prefer a system that potentially allowed more depth.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I think it would probably be "best" if it had a "smash" side-b system wherein the smash deployed a fireball and non smash detonated all of them.
Easiest would probably be 1 set 2 set 1 explode 2 explode, but I'd prefer a system that potentially allowed more depth.
Like Samus missiles? That's actually a creative solution that I don't think has been brought up before; the use of different analog inputs, instead of completely different buttons/timings.

I would get behind this, but a lot of Zeldas tend to make use of Wavebouncing and...I'm not sure how difficult it would be to consistently input smashed vs. non-smashed wavebounces. Wavebouncing is already a bit of a pain in the behind to get the timing down for (at least for some of us...hehh), so maybe this is my laziness talking but...I'd probably give up on wavebouncing if another layer of things to consider for inputs was implemented lol.

That's just my guess though. If it can be implemented, I'm pretty interested in how viable it may be (I'm probably just being stuck up cos I never got Samus missiles down and my friends all make fun of me for it lmao)

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I was thinking along the lines of this logic:

Cast Din's 1-->Stationary Mine in place-->Cast Din's 2-->Stationary mine 2 in place-->Recall Din's 1, which explodes and then returns to you-->Recall Din's 2 which explodes then returns to you. If both are returning, only Din's Mine 1 will explode. Or you could have neither of them explode while returning.

Alternatively you could do something like

Cast Din's 1-->Stationary mine-->Cast Din's 2-->Recalling Din's 1 also causes Din's 2 to be recalled, both still have hitboxes on return, but can't manually detonate while returning, nor does the initial recall cause a manual detonation.

I can't remember exactly how I was picturing right now, but then again I couldn't remember who I had this conversation with, so clearly I've got it all together

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
@ otheusrex otheusrex Did you propose your holy priestess revisions to the PMDT for 3.6?
I haven't yet; because i want to perfect the gfx redeisgn and I'm still not satisfied with it as a whole.

Speaking of which.... I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to delay todays release until Friday. I've discovered a few things that will end up looking much better for some of the holy gfx, but essentially require me to redo everything I've done so far. I apologize, but hopefully, it'll be worth the delay!

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
I thought of another request fair goddess. Can we experiment with a Farore's Wind that has the wind gfx and a wind hit box as she travels? Sort of like Pikachu's quick attack.

justanull

Smash Cadet
I thought of another request fair goddess. Can we experiment with a Farore's Wind that has the wind gfx and a wind hit box as she travels? Sort of like Pikachu's quick attack.
I don't think that's really viable unless Zelda is also vulnerable during the travel, as otherwise she has a move that covers ~half of FD that is invincible and with a hitbox...

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that's really viable unless Zelda is also vulnerable during the travel, as otherwise she has a move that covers ~half of FD that is invincible and with a hitbox...
To discourage the creativity of others is profane

I feel like I should end each of my requests with this since there's always someone who shoots my idea down. Thank you for your creative feedback...

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
To discourage the creativity of others is profane

I feel like I should end each of my requests with this since there's always someone who shoots my idea down. Thank you for your creative feedback...
Thou must have faith, dearest supplicant, for there are other tenants to be upheld as well. Yet do not fret, for only those who yearn for my Triforce shall glimpse it.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
For weeks my Triforce has been at work
Bringing to life the vision of my dear
And Faithful acolyte otheusrex

Witness the Holy Priestess now all but
Perfected, with, in addition, the windy
Desire of the White Crow's teleport.
And yet, concerns of overwhelming pow'r
On deafened ears have not befallen; this,
The teleporting hitbox, dealeth but
A modest four unflinching damage, thus
To punish only the most indolent.
And final but not insignificant,
There hides but a little and lone secret!
Methinks that it may long remain unnoticed...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ewahsor9mqaacj8/holypriestessfinal.rar

Last edited:

Downdraft

Smash Ace
For weeks my Triforce has been at work
Bringing to life the vision of my dear
And Faithful acolyte otheusrex

Witness the Holy Priestess now all but
Perfected, with, in addition, the windy
Desire of the White Crow's teleport.
And yet, concerns of overwhelming pow'r
On deafened ears have not befallen; this,
The teleporting hitbox, dealeth but
A modest four unflinching damage, thus
To punish only the most indolent.
And final but not insignificant,
There hides but a little and lone secret!
Methinks that it may long remain unnoticed...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ewahsor9mqaacj8/holypriestessfinal.rar
Could the little and lone secret be that her dress glows to match the color of whichever special she's using? I also think her entrance was changed. Everything in this build seemed so different that I was speechless. I honestly wasn't expecting a complete overhaul. Excellent job Elf! From the U-air to the U-tilt to the new sound effects you have created quite the resume for a PMDT application. Good luck and thank you!

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
PMDT, please make this a thing for real (barring maybe the teleport GFX. I'd prefer invisibility for practical reasons. Although it would be nice to have a taunt toggle with up taunt for practicing teleport tech).

@ otheusrex otheusrex , you have outdone yourself with these GFX.

Top Bottom