• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Treat Sakurai like a human, not a mythical mastermind, please

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
You may think I'm a fun-hating contrarian who wants to arrive at the party and pop all of the balloons, but I'm anything but that. The disappointment only began this month. Why did they wait so long for those details to be revealed anyway? I don't hate Smash (in fact I have played all of them in both single and multiplayer extensively) and I don't have any bones to pick with Sakurai. In fact, I probably respect him more than you do; I hold more contempt for whoever put him in the awful November 1 Direct. If I were making a game, particularly one that is expected to sell consoles, picking a crowd of people with a work ethic unafraid to call out unappealing ideas would be vastly preferable to a group of adoring yes-men who have unrealistic visions of who I am, and may not warn me about troublesome problems. (You know who chose the former? Markus Person, the creator of Minecraft. You know who chose the latter? Yoshio Sakamoto when he made Other M). Put yourself in Sakurai's shoes. You probably see Sakurai as a mythical rockstar, or something greater. He may have personal regrets and insecurities you know nothing about. Some of you want to either be the next Sakurai or work for the next Sakurai. He may see himself as a nothing special cog in a machine, wasting away for several hours a day like a pack rat alongside other pack rats instead of living out his childhood dream of being a J-Rock artist or something. During work, Sakurai is just a regular guy. He has normal conversations with people on breaks. He needs to go to the bathroom sometimes. He sometimes gets tired and drifts into thoughts about vacations or what he's saving money for. And some of the people who know him personally and deal with him every day are investors and executives he probably wishes he weren't as familiar with. And do you really think the concerns I've raised are hurting his feelings? First off, he probably never has any interest or chance to see what people are saying about his Smash games. Second, Sakurai is an adult and any vague disappointments I have had are probably NOTHING compared to the unfulfilling final states of Smash games due to mandated budget, time, and space cuts, not to mention the outright cancelled Smash games such as Dragon Fighters on the N64, and GBA and DS installments of Smash, which in hindsight, were probably cancelled for the better. Third, when Sakurai is off the job, he would probably rather be thinking of anything other than the games he's making. Being oh-so-proud of himself for being Sakurai would be like me having a deep investment in what people are saying about the grocery store I work at whenever I'm not there. Fourth, Sakurai would probably rather not be making Smash games and, as a renowned game maker, probably has loads of interesting and original concepts other than Kirby and Smash that Nintendo won't allow him to make. Working at Nintendo may be a dream job for it's fans, but whenever Sakurai is off of work hours, he is thinking of doing anything but being Nintendo's new Michael Jordan to replace Miyamoto (that's Michael Jordan the basketball player, not Michael B Jordan the actor). It would be better for everyone if we mentioned the names of all other employees working on the same team as Sakurai as we did mention Sakurai's name.

You know what I would do with Sakurai if I lived in his town and were just his buddy? Anything but play, talk about, or think about Nintendo or Smash. People who do that, even big fans, are not helping. He has enough of that crowding his life already. I'd take him to a tavern and order him a pint of sake, on me, to clear his mind of Nintendo. I would go to the rural countryside, to the ocean, to the archipelago, maybe even the hot spring. We would talk about sports and the weather. I would ask him which career(s) he would rather have or at least wanted earlier in his life. He would probably have quite a few answers, ha ha. I would even tell him about all of his fans from faraway lands who think of him as a rockstar. The people reacting to trailers on YouTube, the top players like Zero and Mango making it their goal to master his games, even all of the people on Smashboards (who I would say positive things about. You guys are interesting people to debate against). That might lift his spirits and make his work life seem not quite as tedious. Maybe even visit Mr. and Mrs. Sakurai, who may not even know about his Nintendo job and still think of him as their baby. That would invigorate him much more than reminding him about the results of his long work hours.

Pyr

Smash Lord
What if he is, huh? You're assuming he's a normal human with normal human emotions and normal human human-y things. What if he IS a mythical mastermind? What if he's the dev for a simulated universe that he himself lives in, huh?

What if Sakurai decided, "I'ma buff this dude's scrambled eggs today?" I'ma tell you this: Those eggs were fantastic. You're not going to get good scrambled eggs, OP.

Point is, don't assume anything either way.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
That is a staggering amount of assumptions for just one post. Towards both Sakurai and those of us who choose to spend time here on Smashboards.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with a post like this? How exactly are you trying to influence how we talk about Sakurai? How you do know we don't treat him like a human?

Were you here when it was reported that Sakurai had developed calcific tendinitis in his arm during the development of Smash 4? Did you witness the collective whole of all the members of these speculative boards wishing him well and all demanding he take an extended vacation after Smash 4 finished? Are you aware of how much many of us wanted him to go home and spend time with the missus instead of spending 12-14 hours on game development each and every day?

We're concerned for him because he throws himself into his work and gives it 120%. If he didn't love what he was doing, I doubt he'd be able to push himself so hard to make a game the best it can possibly be. And he jokes here and there about how he's still alive and that he wonders if he'll ever get to take a break, but he still loves it. It's why he does it.

So we call him a madman, or crazy, or perhaps this "mythical mastermind" term you've mentioned, but we do so as terms of endearment. We recognize his hard work and give him such titles because it's hard to find people like him who put so much into their work to the point of being physically detrimental while going above and beyond what we expect from him and his team. He doesn't have to work nearly as hard as he chooses to, but he does it for us. And we appreciate it.

For me, that's merely one of the reasons why Ultimate will never truly disappoint me. It may lack a thing I liked from prior games here and there, but that's harmless fluff compared to the rest of the package I'm receiving. I'm showing Sakurai respect in the best way any of us can; with my wallet.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
If what you’re claiming is true, Sakurai should take time out of work shifts to visit Japanese schools and tell kids his life story before encouraging them to stay in school and get good grades so they can make video games someday.

Also, a god? If so, isn’t he setting his ambitions a bit low? Gods should be designing planets, populating them with life forms and environments, and setting them in orbit. Designing video games should be a bit low for him.

Lots of people love the idea of working with or for Sakurai, but I rarely see people talk about being his boss, the guy responsible for approving, funding, and getting his games released on time. That would require saying “no” to him. His boss has probably heard things like “Can I make three games at once”? “Can I work on a game for ten years?” and “Can I stop making sequels to bestsellers and work on my dream project instead?”. Even he needs guidance from higher ups. Otherwise? There might be only one Smash game:

Dragon Fighters on N64. Sakurai has wanted each Smash game to be his last for a while now.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sakurai has wanted each Smash game to be his last for a while now.
Except making the games is his choice, and he appears to love his work giving all he puts into it.

Back before Brawl started development, Iwata asked him to make the game, but that it would be made whether Sakurai was involved or not, and if Nintendo really wanted another Smash Bros. game they would continue with the same idea instead of only making one if Sakurai was involved.

Super Smash Bros. was also Sakurai's idea; he decided to turn it into a Nintendo crossover (granted this was after Dragon Fighters wasn't received very well if I recall correctly but still).

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
If what you’re claiming is true, Sakurai should take time out of work shifts to visit Japanese schools and tell kids his life story before encouraging them to stay in school and get good grades so they can make video games someday.

Also, a god? If so, isn’t he setting his ambitions a bit low? Gods should be designing planets, populating them with life forms and environments, and setting them in orbit. Designing video games should be a bit low for him.
Which is why we should be honored that he graces us with his radiance

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I... can't believe I read all that.

I'm not even sure why I clicked on the thread, yet here I am with a nonrefundable five minutes lost.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
That's talking about Keiji Inafune, not Sakurai.
And also anything that refers to Sakurai as anything less than a divine creator is nothing more than blasphemous untruth

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
You may think you are being respectful to Sakurai, but it's those who put creators on a pedestal that experience the most anger, betrayal, and you know, entitlement. My levels of subtle disappointment will remain the same towards Ultimate when it comes out, I wait for the game to be used so as not to enable business practices. Maybe even wait for a special edition that consolidates the main game and packs altogether and has the PP as someone who's just permanently available like everyone else. The bigger a fan someone is, the more their passionate infatuation can slingshot into jilted anger.

I won't miss out on the game completely. I know other people who are getting the game as well. It will sell well initially, but if I am playing the game, especially with people much younger with me, and even they are initiating the conversation with me about how "they're getting tired" and would rather go back to other popular multiplayer games (possibly on a different console) such as Rocket League, Overwatch, and Fortnite, I will see the slowing sales and lower rate of future add-on purchases in the game's near future. I will be the one encouraging giving the game as much of a chance as possible and trying to make your own fun with it (playing as KKR beating up copies of You-Know-Who on the Metal Mario stage) as well as experiencing all of the content and modes the developers intended. But ultimately (heh) it will be up to the friends and family members I'm supposed to be entertaining if they're just not into it.

Plus, I'm not even sure everything I've raised concerns about is Sakurai's doing. I very much doubt that it is. The Spirits are probably not his idea. The monetization is definitely not his idea. And he is just the developer, not the CEO or director (heh) of all of the various Nintendo Directs as well as E3 presentations. Giving him the credit for absolutely everything can turn into putting all the blame on him later.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You may think you are being respectful to Sakurai, but it's those who put creators on a pedestal that experience the most anger, betrayal, and you know, entitlement. My levels of subtle disappointment will remain the same towards Ultimate when it comes out, I wait for the game to be used so as not to enable business practices. Maybe even wait for a special edition that consolidates the main game and packs altogether and has the PP as someone who's just permanently available like everyone else. The bigger a fan someone is, the more their passionate infatuation can slingshot into jilted anger.

I won't miss out on the game completely. I know other people who are getting the game as well. It will sell well initially, but if I am playing the game, especially with people much younger with me, and even they are initiating the conversation with me about how "they're getting tired" and would rather go back to other popular multiplayer games (possibly on a different console) such as Rocket League, Overwatch, and Fortnite, I will see the slowing sales and lower rate of future add-on purchases in the game's near future. I will be the one encouraging giving the game as much of a chance as possible and trying to make your own fun with it (playing as KKR beating up copies of You-Know-Who on the Metal Mario stage) as well as experiencing all of the content and modes the developers intended. But ultimately (heh) it will be up to the friends and family members I'm supposed to be entertaining if they're just not into it.

Plus, I'm not even sure everything I've raised concerns about is Sakurai's doing. I very much doubt that it is. The Spirits are probably not his idea. The monetization is definitely not his idea. And he is just the developer, not the CEO or director (heh) of all of the various Nintendo Directs as well as E3 presentations. Giving him the credit for absolutely everything can turn into putting all the blame on him later.
If you expect a deluxe version of Ultimate, you'll likely won't be able to play the game. No Smash game did such a game before.

Spirits was certainly Sakurai's idea, given how similar it is to previous stuff like stickers and events. Also unless "monetization" you mention is DLC, there's no such thing in this game.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I actually agree with this a lot. Some people treat him like he's the Pope of video games and is ultimately infallible, but he can make mistakes. (example: the smash 4 roster) Everyone does.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
People used to talk about Miyamoto the way they talk about Sakurai now. If anything, not expecting him to be perfect and actually mentioning things about him that aren't perfect would be giving him a break. He would probably feel more comfortable and be able to be himself and catch a break. Sometimes, he would like to open up to fans and be himself instead of having to be Sakurai.

I guess I have a personality where I'm the same person everywhere with nothing to hide and would appreciate others to be the same. If Sakurai showed up in Directs and started moaning about long work hours or the projects he would rather be doing, it would actually inspire confidence in me. He would be genuine instead of fake. I understand that's not how most people would perceive it, especially if other companies are putting on their best fake smiles.

Working at Nintendo isn't as miserable of a job as I seem to be making it out to be, but it is work where employees, especially big ones, are expected to sacrifice quite a lot and take the hit themselves when things aren't going well. It's not rotating paddles to steer the big boat in unison with other burly blokes, but it's not exactly PeeWee's Playhouse either. It's just a job, much like the one you or I go to every day and would rather not think about at all other times.

Wow, Luigifan18's enjoying me. Glad I'm warmly received by someone.

Last edited:

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
... This is an actual thing you're not happy about? That we put Sakurai on a pedestal?

Japanese culture is way different than it is over here. Their work defines them, even moreso than here, at least in a cultural sense. A lot of people in Japan work ridiculous hours. Sakurai happens to be one of the most public examples.

For the vast majority of us, Sakurai is the only person we know who's working on the team. Attributing the success of the series gravitates towards him instead of the team as a whole due to his very public status and the fact that he's worked on all 5. At the same time, none of us will likely ever know him personally due to the barriers of ocean, language, career, and more. We'll never as a whole know him more than we do now.

Every community is going to have their quirks, and putting Sakurai on a pedestal is such a quirk here. I'm not big on it either, but that's something that almost assuredly won't change.

fewmets

Smash Rookie
Yeeeeeeah... As the person above me mentions, you're talking about a society where it's not uncommon to hear of people literally working themselves to death. It's so common in fact that they have a word for it, karōshi.

While I don't know either way with certainty, it's certainly not unlikely that Sakurai is proud of being Sakurai, that he's proud of the things he's created and the reception from fans. That he values his place in his company.

Sakurai is a man. He's a man who's not solely responsible for the great things in smash and who's not solely responsible for the bad things in smash. History, however, has a tendency to make figureheads out of central figures. Steven Spielburg, Michael Bay, George Washington, and even Hitler. These are all men who's works are not entirely their own. They're people who relied on those under and beside them to accomplish their tasks, but ultimately they turned into a figurehead for their work.

When people say Sakurai is responsible for smash all they really mean is the team that Sakurai represents and his ability to coordinate that team towards this amazing result.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
I... can't believe I read all that.

I'm not even sure why I clicked on the thread, yet here I am with a nonrefundable five minutes lost.
I was laughing my ass off while reading... whatever the hell his post was.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
When the game comes out, I am expecting everyone who tells me Smash Ultimate is perfect to not post at all from D7 to New Years Day. Do whatever else but don’t post. If the game is so great, surely playing it for a month will be a more compelling activity than typing about it.

Last edited:

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
You may think I'm a fun-hating contrarian who wants to arrive at the party and pop all of the balloons, but I'm anything but that. The disappointment only began this month. Why did they wait so long for those details to be revealed anyway? I don't hate Smash (in fact I have played all of them in both single and multiplayer extensively) and I don't have any bones to pick with Sakurai. In fact, I probably respect him more than you do; I hold more contempt for whoever put him in the awful November 1 Direct. If I were making a game, particularly one that is expected to sell consoles, picking a crowd of people with a work ethic unafraid to call out unappealing ideas would be vastly preferable to a group of adoring yes-men who have unrealistic visions of who I am, and may not warn me about troublesome problems. (You know who chose the former? Markus Person, the creator of Minecraft. You know who chose the latter? Yoshio Sakamoto when he made Other M). Put yourself in Sakurai's shoes. You probably see Sakurai as a mythical rockstar, or something greater. He may have personal regrets and insecurities you know nothing about. Some of you want to either be the next Sakurai or work for the next Sakurai. He may see himself as a nothing special cog in a machine, wasting away for several hours a day like a pack rat alongside other pack rats instead of living out his childhood dream of being a J-Rock artist or something. During work, Sakurai is just a regular guy. He has normal conversations with people on breaks. He needs to go to the bathroom sometimes. He sometimes gets tired and drifts into thoughts about vacations or what he's saving money for. And some of the people who know him personally and deal with him every day are investors and executives he probably wishes he weren't as familiar with. And do you really think the concerns I've raised are hurting his feelings? First off, he probably never has any interest or chance to see what people are saying about his Smash games. Second, Sakurai is an adult and any vague disappointments I have had are probably NOTHING compared to the unfulfilling final states of Smash games due to mandated budget, time, and space cuts, not to mention the outright cancelled Smash games such as Dragon Fighters on the N64, and GBA and DS installments of Smash, which in hindsight, were probably cancelled for the better. Third, when Sakurai is off the job, he would probably rather be thinking of anything other than the games he's making. Being oh-so-proud of himself for being Sakurai would be like me having a deep investment in what people are saying about the grocery store I work at whenever I'm not there. Fourth, Sakurai would probably rather not be making Smash games and, as a renowned game maker, probably has loads of interesting and original concepts other than Kirby and Smash that Nintendo won't allow him to make. Working at Nintendo may be a dream job for it's fans, but whenever Sakurai is off of work hours, he is thinking of doing anything but being Nintendo's new Michael Jordan to replace Miyamoto (that's Michael Jordan the basketball player, not Michael B Jordan the actor). It would be better for everyone if we mentioned the names of all other employees working on the same team as Sakurai as we did mention Sakurai's name.

You know what I would do with Sakurai if I lived in his town and were just his buddy? Anything but play, talk about, or think about Nintendo or Smash. People who do that, even big fans, are not helping. He has enough of that crowding his life already. I'd take him to a tavern and order him a pint of sake, on me, to clear his mind of Nintendo. I would go to the rural countryside, to the ocean, to the archipelago, maybe even the hot spring. We would talk about sports and the weather. I would ask him which career(s) he would rather have or at least wanted earlier in his life. He would probably have quite a few answers, ha ha. I would even tell him about all of his fans from faraway lands who think of him as a rockstar. The people reacting to trailers on YouTube, the top players like Zero and Mango making it their goal to master his games, even all of the people on Smashboards (who I would say positive things about. You guys are interesting people to debate against). That might lift his spirits and make his work life seem not quite as tedious. Maybe even visit Mr. and Mrs. Sakurai, who may not even know about his Nintendo job and still think of him as their baby. That would invigorate him much more than reminding him about the results of his long work hours.
Nice November 3rd join date.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
>When you don't know what to complain about so you complain about people complimenting Sakurai

Seriously, what am I supposed to get out of this?

D

Deleted member

So let me get this straight here. You made this post to complain about people praising Sakurai for doing his job well?

Are you serious right now?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Creating Smash games is his decision. He enjoy's making them, and we enjoy playing them. In the long run, he is doing his job and while yes, i personally think after Ultimate, he needs a break, but again, this IS his job. Also, you really putting the whole Smash Community in a bobble like we all complian, and are harrassing him. Thats pretty disrespectful.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I'm not gonna read through that block of poorly formatted text, but this seems like a good place to bring this up:

One thing that bothers me is that people seem to talk as if Sakurai is the sole person working on Smash, or that he comes up with every single idea and the rest of the dev team carries out his orders.

A product as large as Smash Bros requires many people to create. Ignoring voice actors, animators, 3d modelers, musicians, programmers, concept artists, marketing teams, etc, etc, etc, you also need a core creative team.
Sakurai is a very hands-on developer and his work shouldn't be understated, but you also need fellow artists to bounce your ideas off of. You might have an idea that seems fantastic to you, but once you vocalize it, it may be met with confusion, or disagreement or someone chimes in and builds upon the idea further. Studios hold board meetings where they discuss these sorts of things. Feedback from the cogs in the machine can also be important, perhaps an idea is fantastic, but not possible within budget/time/resources and might need to be cut or changed.

Basically what I'm saying is that Sakurai is fantastic at what he does, but he also has a large, talented team behind him that often seems invisible, as he is the face of the dev team. In every direct Sakurai adresses how hard the team works and I feel that they deserve a lil' more recognition.

Another thing that bothers me is that people seem to view Sakurai as someone who implements certain aspects to spite the fans. Piranha Plant for example. I'm certain the thought process behind its inclusion was that he (and the team) thought it would be a funny idea that fans could get behind. It's not there to spite people who wanted a character that didn't make the cut.

Last edited:

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
He is an exceptional developer. Just not a deity.

Also, I hope he gets that vacation and doesn’t have to work on the DLC immediately after like what he talked about in the Direct.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
When the game comes out, I am expecting everyone who tells me Smash Ultimate is perfect to not post at all from D7 to New Years Day. Do whatever else but don’t post. If the game is so great, surely playing it for a month will be a more compelling activity than typing about it.
I got an idea! How about stop telling people what to do, and stop making these pointless threads purely to crap on the game and ruin the fun for everyone. We get it. Sakurai is a game developer who works hard, and is human just like the rest of us. Don't yell at people when they just want to have fun or use their imaginations. Why do people view Sakurai as a god? Because they are simply having fun. Nothing wrong with that, as long as they stay realistic and treat him just like any other person with a job. I have realistic expectations from him, and he deserves a break after the first DLC pass is done. Shouldn't you be rescuing a princess or something instead of spreading anti-hype?

I apologize if I came off as mildly toxic to anyone in this post. I just had to get my point across.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Yeah, Sakurai isn't a mythical mastermind or a god or anything of that sort. He's just a human being. I agree that when someone is placed on a pedestal and that person fails or chooses not to meet one's expectations, that person becomes disillusioned. If only more people would become disillusioned already.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
He is an exceptional developer. Just not a deity.

Also, I hope he gets that vacation and doesn’t have to work on the DLC immediately after like what he talked about in the Direct.
I think people realize that. The internet just exaggerates praise and treats him like a meme. We aren't harming him by doing so. Even if he was, I'm sure if Sakurai is truly bothered by the fans treating him with such exaggeration he could rely on his IRL support system from his family, close friends and close coworkers.
Public figures in general are put in a situation of having what they do be spread globally to many people. Some handle the pressure better than others, but the fact is sitautions similar to this are harder to avoid the more prolific to the public you are.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
There was a similar thread from someone I can't remember (the thread got deleted, I cant find my old post) where the guy tells this community to stop bothering Sakurai because he's human, and the majority tells the guy to stop assuming stuff and play the hero by defending him. It's pretty selfish to assume that, he was just as bad as the people that are "bothering Sakurai" as he claims.
This also applies to you OP, you aren't any better with your assumptions. It's selfish and immature.

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
So.... instead of talking about video games on a video game forum, you want us to become Sakurai’s best friend, visit his parents, and sit with him in a hot spring?

What the hell are you talking about?

Last edited:

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
People on the internet generally act like assholes, because there are no consequences of their actions. You are trying to do a good thing, but the responses you are getting clearly show you how things are... Sadly.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I can't help but to see Sakurai as fascinating tho. I'm constantly wondering what his life is like outside of Smash, game development. I would ultimately love to have a regular discussion with this dude.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
So.... instead of talking about video games on a video game forum, you want us to become Sakurai’s best friend, visit his parents, and sit with him in a hot spring?

What the hell are you talking about?
I am okay with doing this

People on the internet generally act like ********, because there are no consequences of their actions. You are trying to do a good thing, but the responses you are getting clearly show you how things are... Sadly.
Is he really trying to do a good thing, though?

I see a lot of “I” statements, saying I’m this and I’m that. “If I were Sakurai’s friend I would”. Yeah, it sounds like gloating.

Rather than tell us how to treat a man who’s doing his job, why not enforce that same philosophy to all people? Personally, I don’t need someone who sounds like he’s above others, to tell me to not be an asshole to one person. Your message kind of kills itself at that point.

If you want to be his friend go ahead; learn Japanese, go out there and try to bea civil human to him, because he apparently doesn’t have those in his life. He’s married, has a great job, he’s fine.

Now I’m going to go to Best Buy and play the game, instead of talking about the guy who made it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom