• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trash talking during a match

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I do not think this is illegal, if it is disregard the below.

I've noticed, since I've been in the smash scene, that most players seem to twitch when they are losing. Twitching as in getting irrated or getting emotions built inside such as anger because of the match and how poorly they're doing. Most notable player I've seen do this is Inui. Now, if you were to just slightly push that twitch with verbal words such as "Dude your doing bad" or "You're easier than I thought" or other harsh verbal trash talking, this would get "inside" the opponents head and pretty much, in most cases, diminish his overall performance. While trash talking is not "respectable", it doesn't mean it shouldn't be used to your advantage if not illegal. In most competitive games, no matter what all procedures should be taken to win, if legal.

tl;dr

Trash talking as an advantage over a player.

what are your thoughts?

XienZo

Smash Lord
Well eventually, it'll lower your own overall performance when you get a broken nose.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
If you're having fun and both of you know it's for fun and you're just messing around, then I don't see why not. If they are clearly pressured in the situation, your really shouldn't do it. No matter how good you are, people will most likely see you as a jerk, and plus if you have any sense you'll feel guilt or whatever. It's like stealing a small item from a store. Sure, you can do it and get away with it...but it isn't neccesarily right.

XienZo said:
Well eventually, it'll lower your own overall performance when you get a broken nose.
QFT.

Exce L

Smash Apprentice
Sure, trash talking with friends for fun is alright.
But not when people are taking it seriously or something... No I wouldn't.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
What is this... I don't even...

You're telling me that you have never been to a tournament where someone has talked trash before/during/after a match? That's like a historic foundation of this community. Have none of you heard of Wes, KillaOR, Papa Dav3, hell ANYONE from the East Coast, particularly the New York area?

All I can tell you guys is don't play me EVER. I talk trash all day, everyday at tourneys. It's how I relieve the pressure and loosen up. Of course, mine is of the hilariously loud, overly hilarious, sarcastic kind, but I still do it.

However, I do have respect. If my opponent is obviously unstable, or politely asks me to tone it down, I will do so, but if I get an Up-B kill with Luigi, I WILL scream out SHORYUKEN so that everyone will know that this guy just got STFUPPERCUTTED. It's just how I roll.

And may God have mercy on you if I get a misfire kill... I'll never let you live it down. You may even quit because of the embarrassment that shall ensue. You can't just silently celebrate that kind of stuff.

You may as well just play online if you can't handle someone wallowing in their own crapulence. I guess you guys don't want us to pay the winners for winning, either...

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
What is this... I don't even...

You're telling me that you have never been to a tournament where someone has talked trash before/during/after a match? That's like a historic foundation of this community. Have none of you heard of Wes, KillaOR, Papa Dav3, hell ANYONE from the East Coast, particularly the New York area?

All I can tell you guys is don't play me EVER. I talk trash all day, everyday at tourneys. It's how I relieve the pressure and loosen up. Of course, mine is of the hilariously loud, overly hilarious, sarcastic kind, but I still do it.

However, I do have respect. If my opponent is obviously unstable, or politely asks me to tone it down, I will do so, but if I get an Up-B kill with Luigi, I WILL scream out SHORYUKEN so that everyone will know that this guy just got STFUPPERCUTTED. It's just how I roll.

And may God have mercy on you if I get a misfire kill... I'll never let you live it down. You may even quit because of the embarrassment that shall ensue. You can't just silently celebrate that kind of stuff.

You may as well just play online if you can't handle someone wallowing in their own crapulence. I guess you guys don't want us to pay the winners for winning, either...
I'm pretty sure we're talking about extreme unstableness in this thread. You just do it to lighten the mood, make it fun or whatever. What I think most of us are imagining is some guy just completely destroying his opponent and then rubbing it in thier face, or doing it on purpose when they're clearly very uncomfortable with the situation. Like...some socially impaired kid, or something. :)

Kishin

Smash Ace
It's highly effective and can really hurt another mentally during a match. You're better off singing a song to break another player's concentration though. Trash talking isn't an accepted as a reasonable way to grab a win, no matter how effective it is. You could also try saying something gay like, "And Ike throws his sword down upon the ground as his feeble opponent loses a stock" or something. You could try a verbal mind game as well like if your opponent is next to a C4 and you say "Now" or "Up-Tiltttttttt!!!" if you're next to them then you could possibly get them that way.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Taunt instead of following up or when you read them properly instead.
Now this...this is QFT...I think. It was worded funny but I got what you're saying.

That's the best way to get inside someones head...just by outreading them. They'll get the message that way. Especially when you start punishing them in the most ridiculous ways, lol. They'll start going "GAH, WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN ON" and I'll just innocently say "You okay man?"

Trash talking is pointless, because it gives you a bad image. I'd rather not sully peoples opinions on me when all I'm doing is playing a game >_>

:093:

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
@Po, I can tell your old school melee player. MM luigi dittoXD otherwise i agree with your post espically the wigi part.

Inui would be mad if he saw this xD. Same w/ drk pch (dw your a GREAT player either way)
Good examples of trash talker is Blackanese seeing as how he wins whenever we MM. He`ll tt like a azn lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I let Sonic do the trash-talking for me.

He also takes the beatings, but most of the time he still comes back. :3

cemo

white walker
Now this...this is QFT...I think. It was worded funny but I got what you're saying.

That's the best way to get inside someones head...just by outreading them. They'll get the message that way. Especially when you start punishing them in the most ridiculous ways, lol. They'll start going "GAH, WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN ON" and I'll just innocently say "You okay man?"

Trash talking is pointless, because it gives you a bad image. I'd rather not sully peoples opinions on me when all I'm doing is playing a game >_>

:093:
If you're really good try standing up and taunting from Snake's dthrow while he fsmashes the other way.

MeLL0W

Smash Apprentice
I am personally respectful of my opponents and demeaning their brawl skill with such meager words that would effect their overall play is highly uneccessary. =/

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I dont really confront anyone with anything but during big crowd matches I'm prone to yelling stuff like "Oh ****!" Or "Get that **** out of here!"

You know, standard crazy people stuff.

Coney

Smash Master
This just in: insulting someone makes them feel bad.

If you're funny and original, trash talk. Seriously. I love playing funny people who're as good as/better than me. If you don't have anything clever to say, or if you're the type to just go HAHAH PWNED after a good kill or something, keep your mouth shut.

There's a general rule of thumb when it comes to trash talking--only do so if the opponent is on the same level as you are. If they're worse, they don't deserve it. If they're better, you should have respect. But if someone's about the same skill level you and and you're not an imbecile with a boring sense of humor, sure, have some fun.

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
Just like any other competition or sport, at a Brawl tourney you should consider good sportsmanship. I don't think **** talking is a good idea at a tournament, unless you are friends with the person you are playing with and that person knows that it's all in good fun.

Kishin

Smash Ace
The thread isn't about being nice to anyone, it's about winning. Sure, trash talking is rude and rather not nice but if you're out to win then shouldn't you use everything possible in order to win? It's not like you are just trash talking to be an ***, but when there's money on the line and you want it, then all is fair right? If you read someone and you taunt then that's just showing over confidence in the match.

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
If someone started trash talking me, I might start singing Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up." It'd be mind gaming a mind game.

cemo

white walker
You could try a verbal mind game as well like if your opponent is next to a C4 and you say "Now" or "Up-Tiltttttttt!!!" if you're next to them then you could possibly get them that way.
I like to call out my moves in friendlies. A lot. But you have to mix it up by calling the wrong move .:lick:

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Sure, trash talking is rude and rather not nice but if you're out to win then shouldn't you use everything possible in order to win?
Not if it's outside of the game. That's usually called "cheating." (Although I wouldn't label trash nearly that far.)

Anything inside the ruleset and inside the game? That goes. If you kneed your opponent in the face every time you were about to lose a stock, that would probably help you win. Should you do it? No.

Coney

Smash Master
Just to clarify (Neither are SFW by the way, SO YOUNG VIEWERS BEWARE):

Funny trash talk

If someone did this, I would start talking back. This is original, ridiculous and (best of all) easily repeated. I've done stuff like this before at tournaments to people that are about at my skill level and they're completely cool with it, as I'll do it against myself too. If I see they're not really digging the whole playful vibe then I'll get quiet, but it never hurts to have a little fun. That's why you're playing, right? I sure hope so.

PROTIP: playing Lucas and exclaiming ZAP YO DUMB *** doesn't make them hate you. Or at least, it shouldn't. And if it does, then just shut up and let the dude play in peace.

PROTIP 2: Would you get your feelings hurt if a Sonic main started talking about his steak after an incredible spring gimp? If you answered yes, you're a tool.

Awful trash talk

This, however, isn't cool. It's not funny, it's not original, it's just nothing. Don't talk like this under any circumstances ever.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Not if it's outside of the game. That's usually called "cheating." (Although I wouldn't label trash nearly that far.)

Anything inside the ruleset and inside the game? That goes. If you kneed your opponent in the face every time you were about to lose a stock, that would probably help you win. Should you do it? No.
I've never heard trash talking as being illegal. Kneeing someone in the face is causing harm to them, trash talk is just simply words. If you're not mentally prepared to withstand that kind of attack then perhaps you're not the player deserving to win. If someone punches you in the face for trash talking then that just shows how immature they are over a couple words.

I like to call out my moves in friendlies. A lot. But you have to mix it up by calling the wrong move .:lick:
That would work too. I kinda meant saying "Now" then probably waiting to hit them through the side step or yelling, "Up-tilltttttt!!!" and waiting for the air dodge.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
"DUDE! Did you see that player's Ganon? That **** was crazy!"

"Yeah, but he was such an *** during the match."

"You're missing the point. Did you SEE his Ganon?"

Are you people kidding me..? I don't go to tournaments and Smash fests to be judged on my personal moral obligations; I go there to slaughter my opponent on their field of choice. For your God's sake, Smash is a FIGHTING game. If you want a happy, cheerful gaming atmosphere, go to a puzzle competition. If you want a quiet and respectful atmosphere, go to a chess tournament. If you want amazing matches, tension that can be cut with a knife, and that blood-curdling feeling of killing your opponent flowing throughout your veins, play Smash.

"But he hurt my feelings!"

If you can't handle non-serious banter back and forth between you and your opponent, Smash (or any real competitive game) is not for you. "Man" up and get over it!

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
The thread isn't about being nice to anyone, it's about winning. Sure, trash talking is rude and rather not nice but if you're out to win then shouldn't you use everything possible in order to win? It's not like you are just trash talking to be an ***, but when there's money on the line and you want it, then all is fair right? If you read someone and you taunt then that's just showing over confidence in the match.
Okay I don't mean to be rude or anything but if someone has to trash talk to win then that person is probably not that good of a Brawl player. XD I mean if you really need to win you can camp, plank and play Meta knight but you still need trash talking? :laugh:

Trash talking gives you an advantage because it lowers the other players performance in a match which means that if you need to **** talk during the match to win then you probably couldn't win on your own with just your skill level. If you ask me, trash talking to win the match just means that the other player is better and should take it as a compliment. XD

Kishin

Smash Ace
Okay I don't mean to be rude or anything but if someone has to trash talk to win then that person is probably not that good of a Brawl player. XD I mean if you really need to win you can camp, plank and play Meta knight but you still need trash talking? :laugh:

**** talking gives you an advantage because it lowers the other players performance in a match which means that if you need to **** talk during the match to win then you probably couldn't win on your own with just your skill level. If you ask me, **** talking to win the match just means that the other player is better and should take it as a compliment. XD
It doesn't matter if you could or could not win without trash talking. If you are able to increase your chance of winning by doing so and you really want to win that $100 or whatever for 1st place then why not? It's not showing yourself up as weak when you do trash talk but it shows the other player as weak when they are unable to handle it properly.

You don't need to have more skill than someone to win.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
If you ask me, trash talking to win the match just means that the other player is better and should take it as a compliment. XD
If you ask me, "trash talking" is prevalent in any major competitive scene and has no merit on one's personal skill level.

Obviously, my opinion must be right since it is indeed different from yours.

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter if you could or could not win without trash talking. If you are able to increase your chance of winning by doing so and you really want to win that $100 or whatever for 1st place then why not? It's not showing yourself up as weak when you do trash talk but it shows the other player as weak when they are unable to handle it properly.
I guess since it's play to win. But I still wouldn't do it. :)

@Noobicidal- lol

Kishin

Smash Ace
Exactly, playing to win.

What Noobicidal said about skill level not affecting whether they trash talk or not is true. It's really more a matter of if you want to win badly enough and to what lengths you would go to achieve it. Although, from what I've seen, a lot of major competitive scenes are discouraging trash talking because it encourages "bad sportsmanship". It's probably due to the sponsors but that kind of thing is just stupid in my point of view.

Sukai

Smash Champion
if I get an Up-B kill with Luigi, I WILL scream out SHORYUKEN so that everyone will know that this guy just got STFUPPERCUTTED. It's just how I roll.
This guy just won smashboards.

But seriously, trashtalk is a trademark of competitive gaming, hell it's a trademark of competition.
Most people are really casual about it, others are just douchebags, either way, you should always take trashtalking with a grain of salt.
It's not serious, don't take it seriously.

If it bothers you, then sure, okay, that's fine, it's a rule to respect others' peace of mind.
It's all about good sportsmanship.

If you can't take it, then ask them to stop.
If they don't stop, then put on some headphones and own them.
If you can't do either, then kindly step out of the ring.

Nights Dawn

Smash Cadet
Brawl was meant to be a game for fun and being competitive.

Trash talking obviously shows how bad a sport you are.
If you win, you should offer a handshake or do nothing. Trash talking puts you in a bad image, and you will not make friends that way. It leads to you being hated.

Trash talking during playing is the same.

There is no reason to play brawl if you do not have fun or if you want to have that adrenaline rushing.

Of course I am talking about trash talking to the extreme.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Just don't be a jerk.

After that, whatever.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I figure with your friends it's cool, cause well, they're your friends. Otherwise, it kinda makes you look like a ****... Not to mention we have a pretty unforgiving community. You talk **** and then lose. People will Never let you live it down.

Kishin said:
You don't need to have more skill than someone to win.
Wait Wh..... you know what, I'm gonna let that one go.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Brawl was meant to be a game for fun and being competitive.

If you win, you should offer a handshake or do nothing. Trash talking puts you in a bad image, and you will not make friends that way. It leads to you being hated.

Trash talking during playing is the same.

There is no reason to play brawl if you do not have fun or if you want to have that adrenaline rushing.

Of course I am talking about trash talking to the extreme.
It doesn't show how bad/good of a sport you are. Trash talking to win and your sportsmanship are different. I'd choose winning $500 and 1st place bragging rights for a few people disliking me for a stupid reason any day.

"There is no reason to play brawl if you do not have fun or if you want to have that adrenaline rushing."
Ummm... yes there is... You can win MONEY in a tournament you know. But if you're not that competitive and you don't care about winning then there's no reason for you to trash talk except for some fun.

You don't need to more skillful to win. You could outmindgame them to death, but you could perhaps say skill includes mind games as well (imo they are different). Trash talking your way to a win a match is another way to win without skill. You could be a horrible player, but if you can make your opponent screw up enough by talking enough **** then you could perhaps win.

If people dislike you for trash talking and you win then guess what? You won money and they didn't/won less. If you lose after trash talking then oh well. Someone probably shouldn't start hating you for trash talking, since all you're doing is trying to win. So they start hating you for trying to win then either you shouldn't even want to befriend them anyways or they just don't understand your desire to win. You can trash talk and have good sportsmanship at the same time. You could trash talk during a match and offer a hand shake afterwords. Just because you want to win and you're using trash talking as a method in order to do so doesn't mean you aren't a nice guy.

Nights Dawn

Smash Cadet
There are better ways to make money.
I mean look at this way, the time you spent playing smash could be one getting a better job.
Also, getting that 1st place won't be likely if there are REALLY good players.

I do not want to talk to you if you think winning is more important to you than character.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Melee was meant to be a game for fun and being competitive.
Fixed.

Not at all. I'll go from saying "GET ***** SON!" after coming back offstage and killing someone with a double-reversed Warlock Punch to saying "Good **** man, I'm looking forward to our next encounter" after the game.

Is there ANY correlation between the two? I'm missing the whole "obvious" bit. Please, make me understand why I'm not following your statement.

Edit @ Night: A cliff can't be IN a horizon; it can be on it however.

Top Bottom