• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training on Cpus

SamuraiBlitz

Smash Rookie
There is an upcoming tournament and I am getting ready for it. The tournament is casual/friendly (no where close to pro) and is 1 vs 1.
I was just wondering if it is better to train against 3 lvl 9 cpus or 1 lvl 9 cpu.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Blegh, too many of these threads are made every week.

Training against computers is NOT a good training method. If you're going to train against computers its probably only to practice AT's during a fight.

They have inhuman like reaction speed, they're stupider, easy to predict and have obvious patterns they follow. Human opponents are way different, you'd be better off playing with a friend.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Agreed, I only play CPUs when Im practicing CGs. Thats it. :laugh: Good luck with your tourney, though.

SamuraiBlitz

Smash Rookie
I would play against friends but since they are all in the tournament they are refusing to fight me.
I would also go on wi fi but I think the lag doesnt help you train

Luur3

Smash Journeyman
Why would they refuse? If anything, it would be an advantage. You learn the playstyle of an opponent and get a bit of real practice in :)

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
If you have agood connection, the lag isnt bad at ALL. I say, if you have a good connection, got to the 'New New Members Fight Arena' thread. I guarantee you'll have fun.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
People who say wifi doesn't help you get better is insane. They only WANT to believe that. It's just online is not good for a tournament setting. But it does help you get better, you just have to learn to transition from off-online when necessary.

SamuraiBlitz

Smash Rookie
People who say wifi doesn't help you get better is insane. They only WANT to believe that. It's just online is not good for a tournament setting. But it does help you get better, you just have to learn to transition from off-online when necessary.
Alright guess Ill try the wi fi

On that note what if my parents are currently using the internet. Should I just not do anything and wait till they get off or try cpus?

Omis

my friends were skinny
Oh hay

Seriously try Wi-Fi. It has increased my skill by bounds.

SamuraiBlitz

Smash Rookie
Has the SWF been fixed yet?
Cause if it hasnt then Wi fi really isnt an option unless someone has a site they could recommend that works in a similar way to SWF

auroreon

Smash Ace
NEVER play against CPUs. EVER. Stay the hell away from CPUs.
CPUs ruined my game, they are the spawn of the devil. No matter what level they are.

Practise on WiFi is you have no one to play with offline, just try to find matches where there is no choppy lag. The AllisBrawl chat rooms are the best place I've found for getting matches.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
If your wi-fi is laggy, and you have no one to play train with, then use cpu to practice your aerial game, and edgehogging, meteor smashing etc, but playing against human opponents is better, as it gives you an idea of how different people will use vastly different strategies.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Training on CPU's should only been done when you're going to a tournament and your opponents are all level 9's.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
@auroreon: Are you serious?

@SamuraiBlitz: You main MK, am I correct? Then you need no practice.

@Thread: Wi-fi does help so long as you're fighting decent people. No point in practicing againt noobs, nopenope.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
CPU's can be good for experimentation but they are no replacement for real people. Also, unless you're at a decent level, playing against CPUs will make you worse because you are not yet able to truly differentiate between them and real playrs. For example, I've noticed that non-experienced players who often play against the CPU have terrible habits like excessive rolling/spot dodging, trying to always do the same set ups (for example, Fox's dthrow into fair or Ness's PK fire into a fsmash), and being overly aggressive. Do Level 3's to practice spacing and get a feel for a variety of set-ups and, only when you can pinpoint your bad habits, then do Level 9's. Once again, CPUs are no substitute for the real thing and you'll only truly learn if you play a wide variety of people.

BombermanFanatic

Smash Cadet
In extreme moderation, CPU's can be handy. Just the basic initial learning of a character you intend to pick up can be done with CPU's. Just don't get used to it. as soon as you are comfortable with the character, stop and start playing other people. Sometimes it can be useful to practice 1 JUST ONE single tech that you need to lean.

For example, I had trouble with Marth's Dair spike. I was too used to how it worked in melee. SO I fought lvl 9's. I played them entirely different than I do people. Just to get them off the edge to learn and get used to the hitbox for the Dair. As soon as I got a handle on it, I stopped and started throwing it into my game fighting humans to get eve3n better at it. Now I can pull it off with ease.

Haven't fought them since

Nicole

Smash Champion
playing against computers is a good way to practice technical aspects of your game. but do NOT play to win against computers. play to learn spacing or AT's that you need to get better at.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Computers aren't so bad.
Wifi isn't so bad.
World Wars aren't so bad.

=P

Well, I suggest going for 1V1, because 3V1 won't really get you anywhere unless its a 3V1 tournement! =P

sWorD LoRD

Smash Rookie
Just don't do it guyz CPUS TOTALLY SUCK AT THIS GAME BECAUSE IT NEEDS SO MUCH SKILL AND CPUS ARR LIKE COMPUTERS AND CAN'T BE REAL PEOPLE

SirKibble

Smash Champion
If your wi-fi is laggy, and you have no one to play train with, then use cpu to practice your aerial game, and edgehogging, meteor smashing etc, but playing against human opponents is better, as it gives you an idea of how different people will use vastly different strategies.
I echo this.

Training against CPUs can be helpful for practicing certain aspects of your game, but (as has been said multiple times) they are no substitute for real human players. Because you're only practicing a few particular points of your strategy, I'd suggest sticking with the default Level 3 setting, as Level 9s will just give you trouble via their utterly inhuman reaction abilities. When you start having to try to beat CPUs, it'll throw your game a completely different direction that won't help you beat human opponents at all.

SamuraiBlitz

Smash Rookie
@auroreon: Are you serious?

@SamuraiBlitz: You main MK, am I correct? Then you need no practice.

@Thread: Wi-fi does help so long as you're fighting decent people. No point in practicing againt noobs, nopenope.
Even if MK is considered "broken" you can always get better
I was also looking to try and find a new main and
thats why I was trying a good way to train

stephon

Smash Rookie
not true. getting good with lag then playing at a real tourney will only worsten your chances of winning because the reaction speed is different.:p

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Well, some tourney TVs are laggy.

SamuraiBlitz

Smash Rookie
not true. getting good with lag then playing at a real tourney will only worsten your chances of winning because the reaction speed is different.:p
So stephon, what do you suppose is the best way to play other than playing against people you invite over?

Top Bottom