• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Tracking the Ninja - Greninja Video Thread

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I've managed to pull of that combo exactly once on Yoshi in practice, I really can't get the timing down for the footstool. I just mash jump and I still manage to miss.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
I think that video does a good job of illustrating how the Mac Greninja matchup really isn't that far in our favor. I think I'm gonna go post about that in the MU thread.

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani
I've managed to pull of that combo exactly once on Yoshi in practice, I really can't get the timing down for the footstool. I just mash jump and I still manage to miss.
I can't either, I can't even really find the opportunities in matches to even try really.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I think that video does a good job of illustrating how the Mac Greninja matchup really isn't that far in our favor. I think I'm gonna go post about that in the MU thread.
that little mac was nasty though, so its not really that fair of a comparison. he was just better.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
hey ninjas! Got another great video where I go up against a shulk and the results are pretty awesome! What you guys think?

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
A bit of my Ninja from an early round of an online tourney. Opponent not the strongest but props to him for for playing anyway and recording the footage. There's my D3 in there too, but at that point I just wanted to have some fun and wasn't too scared of losing (evidence: my pointless swallowcide attempt)

My biggest critique of myself in the match was I didn't use shurikens enough and I tried for grabs too often. Should've been punished a lot more.

hey ninjas! Got another great video where I go up against a shulk and the results are pretty awesome! What you guys think?
I have two things you should work on. First off, you tend to land into your opponent. This is bad in any scenario, but especially against Shulk who can cover a large range around his body, chances are he's gonna make you pay for it every time (cost you your first stock). In addition, you should be using more shurikens to force an approach, then punishing.

The second thing is the pummels. Pummels are a nice way to get easy damage and unstale moves, I get it. But I counted 3-4 times where you missed an upthrow opportunity for a kill or big damage because you pummeled too much and dropped the grab. Made the match much closer than it had to be against honestly a pretty white bread Shulk. Greninja's pummel is really bad, so I'd probably only risk getting one in before throwing.

Other than that, keep working. You have potential just gotta tighten up some stuff

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Some videos from SHI-G.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Wow, very impressive. That Yoshi was no slouch either, that's a pretty tough matchup but the Ninja kept pretty cool and read him like a book. I really need to pivot grab more and focus more on reading I think.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
the black greninja in xSnoopy's video is Lea btw. haven't seen a video of him in so long i thought he stopped playing.

Ventus55

Smash Cadet
NNID
ventus55
Do you guys know what happened to Greninja in the patch because I don't know

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Hey guys I didn't play too well in this tournament and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips and stuff I did wrong, thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UalI9WGOUYQ
[8:17:07 PM] ◥θ┴θ◤ Kyle (eT, Elu, elusiveTranscendent): Also, anybody see anything inherently wrong in this Greninja gameplay? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UalI9WGOUYQ
David G was asking on the video thread and I watched it, but I didn't have anything really pop out to me.
[8:17:27 PM] Yo Jo: the dude never goes in for grabs
[8:17:46 PM] Yo Jo: he always trys to hard punish with a fmash or something laggy
[8:18:47 PM] ◥θ┴θ◤ Kyle (eT, Elu, elusiveTranscendent): Ah. Bluh. I guess I just don't have the type of eye for those types of things. xd
[8:18:48 PM] Yo Jo: ok not always actually
[8:19:16 PM] Yo Jo: he did two in the first match
[8:19:26 PM] Yo Jo: which still isn't great
[8:19:35 PM] Yo Jo: tell him to try and go for 'em more
[8:20:39 PM] ◥θ┴θ◤ Kyle (eT, Elu, elusiveTranscendent): go for what more? ?
[8:21:23 PM] ◥θ┴θ◤ Kyle (eT, Elu, elusiveTranscendent): grabs?
[8:21:47 PM] Yo Jo: yeah
[8:21:53 PM] Yo Jo: I only watched the first match
[8:22:03 PM] Yo Jo: but he definatly could have gotten more in
[8:22:18 PM] Yo Jo: besides that maybe try and approach with nair or fair instead of bair
[8:22:23 PM] ◥θ┴θ◤ Kyle (eT, Elu, elusiveTranscendent): well-spaced fair is amazeballs

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
[8:17:07 PM] ◥θ┴θ◤ Kyle (eT, Elu, elusiveTranscendent): Also, anybody see anything inherently wrong in this Greninja gameplay? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UalI9WGOUYQ
David G was asking on the video thread and I watched it, but I didn't have anything really pop out to me.
[8:17:27 PM] Yo Jo: the dude never goes in for grabs
[8:17:46 PM] Yo Jo: he always trys to hard punish with a fmash or something laggy
[8:18:47 PM] ◥θ┴θ◤ Kyle (eT, Elu, elusiveTranscendent): Ah. Bluh. I guess I just don't have the type of eye for those types of things. xd
[8:18:48 PM] Yo Jo: ok not always actually
[8:19:16 PM] Yo Jo: he did two in the first match
[8:19:26 PM] Yo Jo: which still isn't great
[8:19:35 PM] Yo Jo: tell him to try and go for 'em more
[8:20:39 PM] ◥θ┴θ◤ Kyle (eT, Elu, elusiveTranscendent): go for what more? ?
[8:21:23 PM] ◥θ┴θ◤ Kyle (eT, Elu, elusiveTranscendent): grabs?
[8:21:47 PM] Yo Jo: yeah
[8:21:53 PM] Yo Jo: I only watched the first match
[8:22:03 PM] Yo Jo: but he definatly could have gotten more in
[8:22:18 PM] Yo Jo: besides that maybe try and approach with nair or fair instead of bair
[8:22:23 PM] ◥θ┴θ◤ Kyle (eT, Elu, elusiveTranscendent): well-spaced fair is amazeballs
Yeah I usually grab a lot more and nair for combos. I went for more grabs game three. I guess I wasn't really looking for anything Greninja tips cause I know I could have grabbed more and stuff, but maybe for more in general tips as a player. But in tournament I get nervous and I do things differently. This Luigi is a competent player in my state though too so there's that.

Last edited:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Yeah I usually grab a lot more and nair for combos. I went for more grabs game three. I guess I wasn't really looking for anything Greninja tips cause I know I could have grabbed more and stuff, but maybe for more in general tips as a player. But in tournament I get nervous and I do things differently. This Luigi is a competent player in my state though too so there's that.
I think you played just fine. Just looked like he ended up winning that time.

Just gotta get over those cursed nerves.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
I think you played just fine. Just looked like he ended up winning that time.

Just gotta get over those cursed nerves.
I used to never have tournament nerves, but as I kept playing I developed a hate for losing. And instead of wanting to not lose by playing my best I think how sad I'll be if I lose haha.

Ludus_Machinae

Smash Cadet
NNID
epicbro369
3DS FC
4038-6245-6823
ive been seeing this greinja on VGBC named Techi and im wondering why theres only one video of him per tourney uploaded on the channel even though he kicks ass
EDIT: i mean VGBCs youtube channel

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Criticize me plz, and do so with pure and brutal honesty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HreHbm-rAOY

I got beaten multiple times as Greninja last weekend and didn't do as well with him as I wanted to, and had to rely on Mega Man for most of the tournament. This was the only one I got recorded on stream sadly, and I got completely wrecked here. Even though I am used to playing Mega Man, I am not exactly used to fighting against him (I chose Greninja anyway, because I hate the Mega Man ditto so much) and I think I was making too many mistakes and as such, I could barely even get a few hits on this guy. I'm thinking I'm mostly struggling with these:

• Neutral Game
  • Spacing
  • Edgeguarding
What else am I messing up? Even though I do somewhat better with Mega Man now, I still aim to be the best Greninja in my state and want to keep playing him. But right now, I feel like I've hit a peak where I can't get better without help. I'd upload more videos if I could, but my mom's got my again so I can't until I get it back, this is the only video I can use right now.

Any and all help is appreciated and once again please be honest with it, don't sugarcoat it to make it sound I did better than I really did. I'd rather you tear my Greninja to shreds and tell exactly what's wrong with it than give me a false sense of hope.

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice

I got beaten multiple times as Greninja last weekend and didn't do as well with him as I wanted to, and had to rely on Mega Man for most of the tournament. This was the only one I got recorded on stream sadly, and I got completely wrecked here. Even though I am used to playing Mega Man, I am not exactly used to fighting against him (I chose Greninja anyway, because I hate the Mega Man ditto so much) and I think I was making too many mistakes and as such, I could barely even get a few hits on this guy. I'm thinking I'm mostly struggling with these:

• Neutral Game
  • Spacing
  • Edgeguarding
What else am I messing up? Even though I do somewhat better with Mega Man now, I still aim to be the best Greninja in my state and want to keep playing him. But right now, I feel like I've hit a peak where I can't get better without help. I'd upload more videos if I could, but my mom's got my again so I can't until I get it back, this is the only video I can use right now.

Any and all help is appreciated and once again please be honest with it, don't sugarcoat it to make it sound I did better than I really did. I'd rather you tear my Greninja to shreds and tell exactly what's wrong with it than give me a false sense of hope.
Greninja against Mega Man...

As much as I like Neutral 3, I can't use it against Mega Man. His projectiles outdistance yours and you have to charge up the longer distance attack which makes it very easy to block. You switched back to Neutral 1 for the second match. I think that was a good choice.

I also like to use the normal substitute move against Mega Man because of the crash bombs. As I'm sure you know you can use a crash bomb's explosion to activate substitute which can move you around the level or sneak attack in unexpected ways. Sometimes I shield and sometimes I use substitute when I've got a crash bomb on me. Can lead to some fun stuff.

Eddy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3909-7498-4428
Hey guys! I wanted to show you some matches from my last tournament where i placed 7th ( i suck atm sorry) placing 7th the past 2 Tournaments. Well here are the matches would be cool if you guys could give me some advice! :)

vs Light (Shiek)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ae-Xx-bVOE

vs Slice (Yoshi) im going Greninja 2. Match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS-7g9Pbkbk

Here are the full results from the tournament:
http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-u-underground-1-results.400132/

Hope you guys enjoy my matches! :)

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani

• Neutral Game
  • Spacing
  • Edgeguarding

I think you would've benefited greatly with just regular Substitute, all his projectiles were pretty predictable so one good upwards Substitute would've killed him pretty early. That dude also likes to stand at the edge and wait for you to recover, use that against him by Shadow Sneaking to the edge and hit him, it's pretty safe against Megaman as long as you don't land on-stage but don't continually use it. I also think you should give horizontal on-stage Hydropump a try, if it hits it can mess up someone's flow enough for you to run in for a grab or dash attack to fair.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
How do Lea, Amsa and Consome generally place in Japan if you know?
Amsa does decently. Consomme does....okay I guess. He doesn't enter offline stuff much but he doesn't get very far when he does. He clearly knows what he's doing but not very consistent is all. Lea doesn't play offline much, I think. I've never seen an offline match of him.

Last edited:

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
You can't tech a footstool.
You cant tech a footstool, but getting up you can move to either side, killing the true combo. I am wondering if a jab lock has different rule.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
You cant tech a footstool, but getting up you can move to either side, killing the true combo. I am wondering if a jab lock has different rule.
The D-Air hits immediatelly after they touch the ground, resulting in a jab lock and so they're forced to get up normally.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
two pretty easy true combos.

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but I tested out the nair > footstool > dair > nair > footstool > dair > nair > usmash combo on every character. I found that it works mostly on midweights, and seems not to work on fast fallers or really floaty characters. Here is a list of the data I gathered:

Works on:

:4diddy::4sonic::4pikachu::4lucario::4yoshi::4ness::4wario::4mario::4rob::4pacman::4bowser::4shulk::4metaknight::4megaman::4pit::4darkpit:
:4link::4dk::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4drmario::4robinm::4dedede::4myfriends::4ganondorf::4charizard::4mewtwo::4miisword::4miigun::4miibrawl:

Doesn't work on:

:4sheik::rosalina::4luigi::4zss::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4fox::4falco::4peach::4greninja::4marth::4lucina::4bowserjr::4tlink::4jigglypuff:
:4samus::4kirby::4zelda::4wiifit::4palutena:

It may work on some of the characters that I couldn't do it on, as the timing varies for some characters and I may have just not been able to get the right timing. So if anyone wants to test it out and verify my findings, that would be appreciated.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I have a variation that works on lighter characters, and ones that work on heavies. A video is coming soon. Also you can do at least one footstool on every character.

Top Bottom