• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Tracking the Ninja - Greninja Video Thread

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Good set, updated. I especially liked some of your earlier combo set ups, strings, and more. Keep it up! One thing I noticed that Greninjas don't do enough (and I don't either) is ledge trump back air. I saw a few opportunities for you to do this, and I think we should start implementing this more into our gameplay.

Also, does anyone know what happened to the Vine links that had a whole bunch of gif combos? They appear to have been removed. Like I have the links themselves, but they're not working right now :/

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Sorry for double post, thread hasn't been posted in awhile. I finally got some matches of my Greninja recorded offline and added them here. I'm still new to this character, so expect to see a lot of failness from my part. I really need to improve/work on him, so critique would be appreciated!

I can already tell one of the things I didn't do enough is use Hydro Pump for stage control/spacing/gimping. I'm just not comfy with it yet. Also, I feel like I spammed waaaay too many grabs u.u

Mocha (Greninja) vs ROB (1)
Mocha (Greninja) vs ROB (2)
Mocha (Greninja) vs ROB (3)
Mocha (Greninja) vs ROB (4)
Mocha (Greninja) vs ROB (5)
Mocha (Greninja) vs ROB (6)
Mocha (Greninja) vs ROB (7)
Mocha (Greninja) vs Captain Falcon

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
aMSa just uploaded this amazing set of Greninja dittos between him and Lea and they are both great Greninja players. As usual, we see great Hydro Pump and f-air usage, but also some nice u-air spike -> d-smash combos.

I'm going to see if I can find more videos of this Lea person, because he/she is pretty much on par with aMSa.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Damn, that's amazing.
and makes me cringe in comparison to my Greninja videos

They're both so technically adept, it's crazy. And if you happen to find more vids of this other Greninja, let me know and I'll make a tab for them as well with their vids :]

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Man those Greninja moves so fluidly I can't see myself doing that. That Hydro Pump usage too.

Also is it just me or does Japanese Greninja sound really, really weird and honestly kinda creepy?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Man those Greninja moves so fluidly I can't see myself doing that. That Hydro Pump usage too.

Also is it just me or does Japanese Greninja sound really, really weird and honestly kinda creepy?
I kinda like his JP voice a bit better, actually.

Really does fit the Dark Type mood.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I kinda like his JP voice a bit better, actually.

Really does fit the Dark Type mood.
I dunno, it just sounds really creepy. It doesn't really fit much with Greninja's generally cool-but-dorky behavior that he shows both in Pokémon and in this game.

Though I guess now I know why he was classified as a bad guy in that one Conquest.

Xiao-Xiao

Smash Journeyman
aMSa just uploaded this amazing set of Greninja dittos between him and Lea and they are both great Greninja players. As usual, we see great Hydro Pump and f-air usage, but also some nice u-air spike -> d-smash combos.

I'm going to see if I can find more videos of this Lea person, because he/she is pretty much on par with aMSa.

All Japanese Greninja are either amsa skill level or better. Also if you have been looking at any Greninja vines odds are Lea made them.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
lea was the person to find out the taunt combo. japan is currently going nuts over this nair to footstool loop:

https://vine.co/v/Ox7PnmaQ6nt

its actually incredibly strong and shows how much potential this character has. it looks like a lot of japanese players are trying to optimize the combo. there's a variant on yoshi that goes from 0 to like 108% or something.

Xiao-Xiao

Smash Journeyman
Kinda crazy how my thread on reddit about that combo showed up before anyone on these boards bothered to mention it. I thought people on these boards would have been talking about it way before I did

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
So these are AkashicSword's Greninja, not yours, right? Just to confirm

Also, Greninja's jab can cancel thunder jolt :]

Yeah I can never play like a Japanese Greninja
Be your own Greninja. Try and learn the ATs if you can, but don't feel like you can't use the char if you can't use them.

Last edited:

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
I don't think these have been posted yet, but some good footage.

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I don't think these have been posted yet, but some good footage.

I never heard of these Greninja players - do they have a SWF account by any chance? Good matches though. That second match with the custom D3 Gordo annoyed me though lol. I can see why that custom on D3 would appeal to Rosalina players, since the Gordo ends up being disruptive like Luma...

@ Funkermonster Funkermonster Nice matches. I don't really have any critique right now, but it seems like you've been improving, I think. Keep it up, and good luck at your tourney!

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Tournament set I had yesterday, managed to get at least one game on stream against a R.O.B.. http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/628047430

Skip it to 48:18 for my game, pretty close set I had. Sadly, I got none of my other games recorded.

As always, any criticism is more than welcome.
That was an intense set. He came back hard on game 2, but you looked like you adapted a bit by game 3. Honestly this MU would feel more even if it wasn't for the fact that ROB is guaranteed to kill us much earlier because of the throw kill. Once we're at like 110% or so, all he needs is a grab.

My only suggestion to you (and I know it's not easy, having played ROB offline myself) is to try running shield when he's spamming nairs, then maybe folllow-up with a jab. Otherwise I kind of wait to see what his landing is, and try to punish. NinjaLink says I give ROB too much respect upon landing, but those nairs are harder to punish than they look.

Good stuff dude, keep it up.

D

Deleted member

Man, I really have to practice that Up tilt --> SHFF Up-Air --> Down Smash combo they keep doing, looks really good.

More of the hidden ninja Lea though, please. Makes me wonder how many more hidden ninjas there are in the world that can't show their skills because they can't make it to events and whatnot.

Last edited by a moderator:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i've seen some stuff on nico video of him, but i can't repost it to youtube, and i don't think you all can watch it without a premium account there.

KingHerpOfDerp

Smash Cadet
What is it called when you try to hydro pump onto the ledge but bounce off and go into helpless mode? You can do an aerial or special to get out of it, but how does it happen? Anyone know?

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
What is it called when you try to hydro pump onto the ledge but bounce off and go into helpless mode? You can do an aerial or special to get out of it, but how does it happen? Anyone know?
I'm not sure if we have a term for that yet as far as I know, but I know what you're talking about. This BS glitch/bug/whatever it is has cost me more games than I would have liked. You can use an aerial to get out of it? Huh, the only move I was able to do when this happened was Shadow Sneak.

Sorry, double post. Pretty sure I hit the edit button...

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
There isn't a term for it. I made a post about it in a different thread recently:

The problem is that the spot to grab the ledge isn't actually on the ledge.

There's a bit of wall above the ledgegrab spot on most(all?) stages, if you play a character with wall jumps/clings you've probably noticed it:

If you hit this spot with recoveries that bounce off walls, you'll bounce off the wall in helpless and die.

It isn't really a glitch so much as unfortunate stage design. If you're using characters that can be a victim of this it's just something you need to be mindful of.

As an aside, Greninja can still wall cling/jump after bouncing off a wall with upB, so you can still save yourself on walled stages.
When Greninja bounces off a wall with Hydro Pump, he can do all usual aerial actions except double jump and upB, but including wall cling/jump. On walled stages, you can drift to the wall to save yourself, otherwise you're SOL.

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani
There isn't a term for it. I made a post about it in a different thread recently:

When Greninja bounces off a wall with Hydro Pump, he can do all usual aerial actions except double jump and upB, but including wall cling/jump. On walled stages, you can drift to the wall to save yourself, otherwise you're SOL.
That's not really saving yourself though, if you hit the edge and wallcling afterwards you HAVE to drop eventually right? Pretty sure there's no other way to get back on stage after that unfortunately... It's cost me alot of games too trying to sweetspot the edge horizontally.

Last edited:

KingHerpOfDerp

Smash Cadet
Thanks for responding guys, I have done this before and didn't know how it worked so it just got on my nerves.

Last edited:

AkashicSword

Yokai
Your neutral with Ninja seems to be coming along. Excellent use of Nair, it's pretty effective against Fox, he doesn't have many vortex moves to counter it. Good spacing on FSmash, some characters can really punish rogue FSmash, so be more cautious.

Was going to tell you about using UAir to bait spot dodges, but you did so by videos end. Work some more Bair and Spaced Fairs in your neutral (and in chases, Bair can be more reliable than Uair), and grab less. Most of those whiffs should've been punished.

Overall, excellent work. Just polish the fine tuning of Greninja movement, and you'll be more than solid. You're a smart enough player to use Ninja.

P.S. Don't sleep on Shadow Sneak.

Top Bottom