Toxtricity, Galar's Punk Pokemon, for Smash!

Which Toxtricity form do you prefer?

• Total voters

Goombaic

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday was an interesting day.

Toxtricity's gigantamax form is coming out! It appears to correlate with the release of a TCG set, which just so happens to be releasing on Pokemon Day, and a new Mythical Pokemon is supposed to be revealed soon as well. HMMMMMMM is Toxtricity the Carbink to this Mythical. OK I'll admit it, I'm making some wild conspiracy theories here, and besides, this is not preference to the same extent as Cinderace and others. Nonetheless, for Toxtricity to be the released G-Max Pokemon during the countdown to Pokemon Day shows that Game Freak/TPC cares about it, maybe enough to add it to Smash? It's also easier to tell who was the "promotional" Pokemon of the generation in hindsight rather than in the moment, so we'll have to keep waiting it out for the moment.
Speaking of Pokemon Day, the Pokemon of the Year poll started yesterday. While the poll definitely won't have an effect on Toxtricity's chances for Smash, or any other Pokemon's for that matter, it'll be interesting to see where it ranks in the Galar section against other fan favorites like the starters, Dragapult, Dracovish, etc.

Goombaic

Smash Journeyman
TKOWL TKOWL just made a moveset concept for Toxtricity!
Very neat illustrations. Wish I had a drawing tablet, that way I could give visuals for my moveset.

Goombaic

Smash Journeyman
Huh, here's something neat
From what it looks like, it might be possible that Sword and Shield were in the works since Sun and Moon and Toxtricity was one of the first Galar Pokemon designed. Purely speculative and not concrete, of course, but that poster's resemblance is too similar for me to say that wasn't the case.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I will reiterate what I said in the Newcomers thread:

I know people are going Gaga over Cinderace, but he literally just got a Gigantimax form earlier this month. Toxtricity has had one established since the game came out. It’s more realistic for Sakurai to be privy to Toxtricity than Cinderace, and any kind of new concept that’s introduced in Pokemon finds its way into Smash, i.e. Mega Evolutions (Lucario, and Mewtwo), Fairy-types (Jigglypuff), Z-Moves (Incineroar), and Toxtricity would serve as the perfect Pokemon to represent Gigantimax forms. I also remember when the starters were first revealed, so many people dunked on their appearance, and immediately dismissed them as fake or terrible designs, and I’m not talking about a select few. It was a pretty vocal majority who hated them. I’ve never seen anyone really say anything negative about Toxtricity, either design or concept-wise. To further denounce is popularity is pretty reckless, honestly. He’s also not as cringeworthy as another Fire starter.

I know people are going Gaga over Cinderace, but he literally just got a Gigantimax form earlier this month. Toxtricity has had one established since the game came out. It’s more realistic for Sakurai to be privy to Toxtricity than Cinderace, and any kind of new concept that’s introduced in Pokemon finds its way into Smash, i.e. Mega Evolutions (Lucario, and Mewtwo), Fairy-types (Jigglypuff), Z-Moves (Incineroar), and Toxtricity would serve as the perfect Pokemon to represent Gigantimax forms. I also remember when the starters were first revealed, so many people dunked on their appearance, and immediately dismissed them as fake or terrible designs, and I’m not talking about a select few. It was a pretty vocal majority who hated them. I’ve never seen anyone really say anything negative about Toxtricity, either design or concept-wise. To further denounce is popularity is pretty reckless, honestly. He’s also not as cringeworthy as another Fire starter.
I agree with you. I just imagine Cinderace playing like a speedster character with Pyro Ball as a projectile. I’m sure Cinderace could play uniquely, but compared to Toxtricity, who has a defined punk rock personality and an unorthodox movepool, Toxtricity would definitely bring more to Smash in my opinion. Plus, Pokémon as a whole has nearly 900 unique species. A massive percent of them are not starter Pokémon. With Smash already having the Kanto starters, Greninja, and Incineroar, I just want to see more non-starter Pokémon in general represented. We haven’t had a newcomer non-starter representative since Lucario in Brawl, and Toxtricity definitely gives me some Lucario vibes. If Sword and Shield gets a Fighters Pass 2 rep, I really hope it’s Toxtricity specifically.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Let’s just hope Sakurai sees the potential in Toxtricity.

I was thinking, what would the stage be? There really isn’t much of a league per say, so I don’t know. Maybe a traveling stage to see all the sights and sounds of Galar? Or maybe a PokeFloats 2, but we fly over Galar and we can fight on top of Corviknight taxis and the balloons are actual hot air balloons and what not.

Yeah... the designs kinda grew on me. Only one I liked from the start was Rillaboom, which was probably due to my Grass Type starter bias (this happens everytime I play a pokemon game). I'd be happy with either Toxtricity or them. But what Toxtricity needs is some sort of important role. The previous characters from Brawl on were mainly major in a movie.
Lucario: Had a starring role in his own movie
Greninja: Main traveling companion of Ash
Incineroar: Major character as it was one of Kukui/Masked Royal's Pokemon, Ash had one, and Cross? (I think that was his name) had one in I Choose You!.
So I think Toxtricity should get more limelight so he's more known. Then he might be even more popular.

I was thinking, what would the stage be? There really isn’t much of a league per say, so I don’t know. Maybe a traveling stage to see all the sights and sounds of Galar? Or maybe a PokeFloats 2, but we fly over Galar and we can fight on top of Corviknight taxis and the balloons are actual hot air balloons and what not.
I feel like the stage could either be the Wild Area, or Wyndon Stadium. The Wild Area could be a traveling stage, like New Donk City and Skyloft. However, there would be random Pokémon in the background, and every once in a while, one of them would Dynamax and commence a “raid battle”. The battle would be treated as a stage boss, like on Guar Plain or Dr. Wily’s Castle. Wyndon Stadium could be like a Hyrule Temple or New Pork City sized stage, with the gimmick being that all of the characters get the Super Mushroom effect every minute and a half, as a parody of Dynamaxing. It may also feature something like the transformations of Pokémon Stadium.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Master

How about one where you fight on top of Eternatus himself?

Edit: He's pretty gigantic and huge.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

While i like the Scorbunny line in the games/anime, I think Cinderace and the speculation behind it screams too much like Dedicueye speculation in general, a bit of a jump-the-gun kind of case and overconfidence because it was in the anime first.
plus the potiental playstyle is a bit generic, i don't think repurposing the Soccer Ball item and being the second fire starter that kicks a lot would give it a "fun and unique" edge over other starters or Toxtricity. Just my opinon tho!
Yeah... the designs kinda grew on me. Only one I liked from the start was Rillaboom, which was probably due to my Grass Type starter bias (this happens everytime I play a pokemon game). I'd be happy with either Toxtricity or them. But what Toxtricity needs is some sort of important role. The previous characters from Brawl on were mainly major in a movie.
Lucario: Had a starring role in his own movie
Greninja: Main traveling companion of Ash
Incineroar: Major character as it was one of Kukui/Masked Royal's Pokemon, Ash had one, and Cross? (I think that was his name) had one in I Choose You!.
So I think Toxtricity should get more limelight so he's more known. Then he might be even more popular.
i pray both Rillaboom and Toxtricity make a prominent apperance in the Coco movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom