• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Town Hall Meeting - Villager Matchup Discussion

TriTails

Smash Lord
My way of fighting Villager personally is to lame him out, certainly VERY different from most other MUs. I usually wait for Gyro, and when it has come a decent way, I throw a Fireball, run after it and if Villager pocket, I'm usually already in my range (Shorthopping gyro works, as unbelieveable as that might be), and can hurt him with tons ofmy SHAC shenanigans.

Oh yeah. If Villager grows a tree, I just run to the other end of stage because approaching Villager WILL get your head bashed. And I lame him out by forcing him to gyro or something. Personally, this is a more boring MU than hard IMO. Luigi has Fireballs that can be used to nullifies Gryo OR put Villager in bad position after he pockets them. But Villager also doesn't need to approach because Luigi's Fireballs don't reach as far and he has slingshots (Which clanks with N-air btw).

Users on our boards think this is something crazy as 70:30 or 80:20 Villager, which I disagree with. Luigi CAN get in in this MU. Luigi CAN combo the crap outta Villager (Despite of F3 N-air. F-air to N-air outta D-throw works. I think F-air + U-air works too, since the latter is F5). And Luigi CAN KO Villager with his kill setups. Villager does gimp him with bowling balls though, but Villy's camping isn't as bad as, say, Mega Man, and is manageable.

All of these are IMO of course :p.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
You know now that I think about it, I could see Megaman being higher than Villager on the tier list a couple years down the road. I think he's got a lot more going for him than people give him credit for.

blinkingpigs

Smash Rookie
You know now that I think about it, I could see Megaman being higher than Villager on the tier list a couple years down the road. I think he's got a lot more going for him than people give him credit for.
i agree.

i've been searching around for tips on here with the villager / megaman MU. when i fight even predictable megamans on for glory (who are still good enough not to try charged shot on me), it gives me a TON of trouble. i'm not sure what i'm supposed to do when he spamlocks me with metalblade/pellets/crash bomb. i can't wall him out and the tree is almost useless -- except for stopping the crashbombs. i try to bait things out and punish from above, but then i get tornadoed. also, his roll behind with leaf shield + grab setup has got to be the most annoying thing i've ever dealt with in smash. maybe i should just work on rosalina as a counterpick but idk...i feel like i'm missing something

Last edited:

MillionGoldMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MillGoldMan
3DS FC
4699-8722-4893
i agree.

i've been searching around for tips on here with the villager / megaman MU. when i fight even predictable megamans on for glory (who are still good enough not to try charged shot on me), it gives me a TON of trouble. i'm not sure what i'm supposed to do when he spamlocks me with metalblade/pellets/crash bomb. i can't wall him out and the tree is almost useless -- except for stopping the crashbombs. i try to bait things out and punish from above, but then i get tornadoed. also, his roll behind with leaf shield + grab setup has got to be the most annoying thing i've ever dealt with in smash. maybe i should just work on rosalina as a counterpick but idk...i feel like i'm missing something
I certainly agree on him being a bit more difficult... but i dont think he could be THAT bad.

Then again, i havent played to many amazing MM's

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I certainly agree on him being a bit more difficuly... but i dont think he could be THAT bad.

Then again, i havent played to many amazing MM's
Trust me, when you play a fairly decent one, you'll understand our pain very quickly.

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
Its actually not that bad without customs if you know what to do and what to look out for and might even be a little even. With customs its definitely in megamans favor.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Its actually not that bad without customs if you know what to do and what to look out for and might even be a little even. With customs its definitely in megamans favor.
Even with pushy lloid blocking all of his attacks?

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
Even with pushy lloid blocking all of his attacks?
Getting the option to use Pushy lloid is nowhere near worth your opponent getting the option to take out an incredibly quick reflector, that your opponent can move, block, grab and throw at you with. Also pushy lloid wont block a metal blade on its startup, which is slower than regular lloid.

Last edited:

Player-1

Smash Legend
Me and Scatt (good megaman player if you haven't heard of him yet, 2nd at smash n splash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytGGUa58RhQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7NIUWE05IY) were training partners for like 7 months and I still think it's one of villager's worst MUs, we didn't practice too much with customs especially in a serious setting of villager vs megaman, but I think it's better with customs since the few times we did it the "camp and plank really hard" strategy seemed to work pretty well, but we may not have played enough for him to develop a good counter strat to it.

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
Me and Scatt (good megaman player if you haven't heard of him yet, 2nd at smash n splash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytGGUa58RhQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7NIUWE05IY) were training partners for like 7 months and I still think it's one of villager's worst MUs, we didn't practice too much with customs especially in a serious setting of villager vs megaman, but I think it's better with customs since the few times we did it the "camp and plank really hard" strategy seemed to work pretty well, but we may not have played enough for him to develop a good counter strat to it.
Ooooh I completely forgot about the planking LMAO, never mind I can't judge it based on my gameplay as I don't play Villager to his max potential in customs cause I don't plank...In that case yeah maybe Villager does do that match-up better with customs.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Ooooh I completely forgot about the planking LMAO, never mind I can't judge it based on my gameplay as I don't play Villager to his max potential in customs cause I don't plank...In that case yeah maybe Villager does do that match-up better with customs.
I think planking villager generally loses to characters that have good spikes like falcon, Megaman has a spike but it's not really the greatest and not too good at this strategy imo. Scatt tried some things against me when we did practice it, but none of it was really effective (he tried his megaman's bomb customs that throw in an arc to hit me on the edge and his tornado up-b to get me off the edge, but neither seemed that effective, you can pocket the tornado up-b and use it back at him actually lol), that was just in a pretty short time we tried it so like i said megaman might have some counter play to it that I just didn't see yet, even if he does though you don't have to play planking villager the whole time though, you can just mix it up with planking and just staying on stage camping behind sapling or something though.

Also, anyone have any notable gaw experience? I played against a pretty decent one and I think villager loses that MU. Turnips are really ineffective in that MU, gaw's up-b and uair beat our dair and his key beats our uair. Dash attack is good against us because it puts him low to the ground so it's hard to slingshot and if you do get him with it his head on his dash attack is invincible so he will beat it.

While I was at it I just put down my current opinion on some of our MUs. A "?" just means I'm pretty iffy on it myself, "???" means I have no idea, "!" means I think it's one of our worst MUs. This is assuming no customs btw.

bowser- win
bowser jr- win
falcon- lose
charizard- win
dark pit- even?
diddy kong- lose
donkey kong- win
dr. mario- win
duck hunt- lose
falco- even?
fox- lose?
ganon- win
greninja- ???
ike- win
jigglypuff- lose
king ddd- win
kirby- win?
link- win
little mac- lose?
lucario- lose!
lucas- ???
lucina- win
luigi- win?
mario- lose
marth- win
mega man- lose!
meta knight- win?
mewtwo- win?
mii brawler- win
mii gunner- win
mii swordfighter- win
gaw- lose
ness- even
olimar- ???
pacman- win
palutena- lose
peach- win
pikachu- even
pit- even?
rob- win
robin- win
rosalina- lose!
roy- win
ryu- win
samus- win
sheik- lose
shulk- win?
sonic- lose
toon link- win
wario- even?
wii fit- win
yoshi- lose
zelda- win
zss- lose?

Some interesting notes here that could be good discussion I think would be is I think Lucario is one of our worst MUs, I think we lose to jifflypuff, I'm not sure what to think of greninja, olimar, or lucas, I think we lose to yoshi, pikachu seems evenish, i've only ever played one little mac ever that made me think that MU was bad for us but it was back in december so I don't know if other little macs haven't caught on to the MU or if I just got better at it, as I said I think GaW beats Villager.

Also, I feel like lylat is an autoban vs any small character. I played a greninja on it and it felt really bad just because greninja has one of, if not, the lowest standing animations in the game and a lot of his moves put him very low to the ground, very hard to to hit him with slingshots and stuff. I don't mind it vs tall or fat characters, in some MUs I like it, but vs smaller chars it just seems really bad to me.

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
I think planking villager generally loses to characters that have good spikes like falcon, Megaman has a spike but it's not really the greatest and not too good at this strategy imo. Scatt tried some things against me when we did practice it, but none of it was really effective (he tried his megaman's bomb customs that throw in an arc to hit me on the edge and his tornado up-b to get me off the edge, but neither seemed that effective, you can pocket the tornado up-b and use it back at him actually lol), that was just in a pretty short time we tried it so like i said megaman might have some counter play to it that I just didn't see yet, even if he does though you don't have to play planking villager the whole time though, you can just mix it up with planking and just staying on stage camping behind sapling or something though.

Also, anyone have any notable gaw experience? I played against a pretty decent one and I think villager loses that MU. Turnips are really ineffective in that MU, gaw's up-b and uair beat our dair and his key beats our uair. Dash attack is good against us because it puts him low to the ground so it's hard to slingshot and if you do get him with it his head on his dash attack is invincible so he will beat it.

While I was at it I just put down my current opinion on some of our MUs. A "?" just means I'm pretty iffy on it myself, "???" means I have no idea, "!" means I think it's one of our worst MUs. This is assuming no customs btw.

bowser- win
bowser jr- win
falcon- lose
charizard- win
dark pit- even?
diddy kong- lose
donkey kong- win
dr. mario- win
duck hunt- lose
falco- even?
fox- lose?
ganon- win
greninja- ???
ike- win
jigglypuff- lose
king ddd- win
kirby- win?
link- win
little mac- lose?
lucario- lose!
lucas- ???
lucina- win
luigi- win?
mario- lose
marth- win
mega man- lose!
meta knight- win?
mewtwo- win?
mii brawler- win
mii gunner- win
mii swordfighter- win
gaw- lose
ness- even
olimar- ???
pacman- win
palutena- lose
peach- win
pikachu- even
pit- even?
rob- win
robin- win
rosalina- lose!
roy- win
ryu- win
samus- win
sheik- lose
shulk- win?
sonic- lose
toon link- win
wario- even?
wii fit- win
yoshi- lose
zelda- win
zss- lose?

Some interesting notes here that could be good discussion I think would be is I think Lucario is one of our worst MUs, I think we lose to jifflypuff, I'm not sure what to think of greninja, olimar, or lucas, I think we lose to yoshi, pikachu seems evenish, i've only ever played one little mac ever that made me think that MU was bad for us but it was back in december so I don't know if other little macs haven't caught on to the MU or if I just got better at it, as I said I think GaW beats Villager.

Also, I feel like lylat is an autoban vs any small character. I played a greninja on it and it felt really bad just because greninja has one of, if not, the lowest standing animations in the game and a lot of his moves put him very low to the ground, very hard to to hit him with slingshots and stuff. I don't mind it vs tall or fat characters, in some MUs I like it, but vs smaller chars it just seems really bad to me.
Oh dude, ****kkkk Lucario like seriously UGHHHHH. He is like low-key one of Villager's absolute worst match-ups ever. If only we could at least use our lloid on him. Also I think we beat falcons, hes just so tall and lacking in any range whatsoever. And I feel like we can easily stuff out his moves and everything with Nair and if hes offstage its sooo easy to edge-guard him.

Player-1

Smash Legend
IDK I think his speed is too much to get in between our slingshots and he hits really hard and I think he's one of the best chars at dealing with lloid mostly due to his dash grab being so good. I play with Fatality a good bit who has been doing well recently and considered by most to be the best Falcon.

I should also note that my mindset with Villager has changed a lot recently and thanks to that I think I've improved a lot with Villager in this past month (mostly just watching Ranai) that and with the recent patch with the dthrow buff have basically just changed some of my opinions on Villager so a lot of those MUs I haven't gotten to really explore with my improved self. So Falcon for example, I played a decent bit of Villager vs Falcon with Fatality for CEO practice and I was doing pretty well, I still think it's Falcon's favor, but I saw some potential things that I could be doing better.

but ya Lucario is bad and I know what you mean with lloid being ineffective (because of double team) I'd like to see the frame data on when he becomes vulnerable after the activated double team compared to when he gets back control. I think if you're spaced right you can still punish him with dash attack on other moves if he double teams into you, if he double teams away then you get stage control. It's pretty hard to kill lucario too which is obviously bad with aura :/. Right now I think the 3 worst MUs for Villager are Lucario, Mega Man, and Rosalina.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I am confused as why both of you have Lucario winning against Villager and i know Duck hunt is not a loss either.
Lucario is similar to luigi in that he has low mobility but he also hits very hard and thus he is probably very easy to camp though seeing as both of you have far better experience than me and both agree that it really is that bad then do take what i said with a grain of salt
as for duck hunt, the character relies entirely on what he can do with the Can but a slingshot can intercept the can and render it useless not to mention their terrible recovery thats just begging to be spiked and how their zoning tools are projectiles which get pocketed. The only thing i see that they have over villager is aerials that hit far away enough to make villager uncomfortable

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
IDK I think his speed is too much to get in between our slingshots and he hits really hard and I think he's one of the best chars at dealing with lloid mostly due to his dash grab being so good. I play with Fatality a good bit who has been doing well recently and considered by most to be the best Falcon.

I should also note that my mindset with Villager has changed a lot recently and thanks to that I think I've improved a lot with Villager in this past month (mostly just watching Ranai) that and with the recent patch with the dthrow buff have basically just changed some of my opinions on Villager so a lot of those MUs I haven't gotten to really explore with my improved self. So Falcon for example, I played a decent bit of Villager vs Falcon with Fatality for CEO practice and I was doing pretty well, I still think it's Falcon's favor, but I saw some potential things that I could be doing better.

but ya Lucario is bad and I know what you mean with lloid being ineffective (because of double team) I'd like to see the frame data on when he becomes vulnerable after the activated double team compared to when he gets back control. I think if you're spaced right you can still punish him with dash attack on other moves if he double teams into you, if he double teams away then you get stage control. It's pretty hard to kill lucario too which is obviously bad with aura :/. Right now I think the 3 worst MUs for Villager are Lucario, Mega Man, and Rosalina.
I would personally replace mega man with Sheik atm but for the most part yup. I'm pretty sure you can at least grab him to punish him because you can't block a grab frame 1 like you can with normal moves so you would technically have about 3 frames at least to be able to punish Lucario with grab before he spot dodges which is frame 3 for most characters I think. But man, it is not easy to position yourself properly AND catch that at the same time, especially considering villagers lack of speed. I do remember John Numbers telling me that the counter was invincible until the very last frame, I'm not sure but it DEFINITELY feels that way.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I am confused as why both of you have Lucario winning against Villager and i know Duck hunt is not a loss either.
Lucario is similar to luigi in that he has low mobility but he also hits very hard and thus he is probably very easy to camp though seeing as both of you have far better experience than me and both agree that it really is that bad then do take what i said with a grain of salt
as for duck hunt, the character relies entirely on what he can do with the Can but a slingshot can intercept the can and render it useless not to mention their terrible recovery thats just begging to be spiked and how their zoning tools are projectiles which get pocketed. The only thing i see that they have over villager is aerials that hit far away enough to make villager uncomfortable
I wouldn't say Lucario is easy to camp just because of the double team on the lloid, that is one of the biggest things about the MU.

I feel like Duck Hunt is a losing MU because his camp game just seems better than ours, pocketing his projectiles don't do a lot, his side-b is good against our side-b. His bad recovery is definitely a plus for us though, I think an omega stage with walls is one of the best CPs for us in that MU because it just makes it a lot easier to bowling ball it.

I would personally replace mega man with Sheik atm but for the most part yup. I'm pretty sure you can at least grab him to punish him because you can't block a grab frame 1 like you can with normal moves so you would technically have about 3 frames at least to be able to punish Lucario with grab before he spot dodges which is frame 3 for most characters I think. But man, it is not easy to position yourself properly AND catch that at the same time, especially considering villagers lack of speed. I do remember John Numbers telling me that the counter was invincible until the very last frame, I'm not sure but it DEFINITELY feels that way.
Ya IDK about sheik, it's definitely a bad MU, I just can't tell how bad. I think villager is one of the better character at taking advantage of the 1 frame vulnerability that sheik (and I guess other teleporting characters) is so vulnerable to. If she vanishes to the edge, you can easily get a sourspot dair which is nice and I've been getting better at bowling balling it too. So I feel like there is some potential in that MU to make it better.

and ya that's why I like dash attack because it's lingering hitbox.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
If Lucario is countering Lloid, try and space yourself so you're just out of range then punish when it ends. You are both intelligent players though and I assume you are both aware of this, lol. Either way I'm not really sure how Lucario is supposed to approach us. Aura Sphere as a pressure tool is rendered moot (watch out for the charging hitbox though) and his attacks are very slow.

@ Player-1 Player-1 it's funny that you think Game & Watch beats Villager since a G&W player feels that Villager is a loss for us and borderline unwinnable with customs on. Personally I think Villager wins by a bit but it's not awful. Villager UAir should beat Game & Watch DAir if it's three-pull but honestly it's just best to move out of the way and punish the endlag if possible. Fire has invincibility frames for most of the jump but they run out by the apex which is why it'll usually beat Villager's DAir. Really the main thing to watch out for is reckless Lloid usage since we can get two bucket levels if we catch the explosion at the end of its trail. Also default Balloon Trip is delicious gimp bait.

Additionally I think Villager beats Mewtwo. Despite Confusion being annoying Mewtwo's a tall, large target who doesn't handle Villager's pressure well. If Rosalina is susceptible to FAir and BAir despite both Gravitational Pull AND Luma than Mewtwo certainly is. Shadow Ball is even more hilarious than Aura Sphere, at full-charge it'll kill Mewtwo at around 10%. Even if he reflects it Pocket ignores multipliers so we can just Pocket it again given the right distance. Just be careful when trying to edgeguard him with FSmash, he might use Confusion to aid his recovery and we'll get a bowling ball back to the face. That, uh, happened to me the day Mewtwo was released.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Oh my goodness, two of the best Villager players on these boards discussing our worst MUs! I'll definitely be taking notes from you guys.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801

Whoa wait. You don't think Sheik is another one of his worst MUs? I find that very surprising, do you think you could explain why?

Edit: Nvm you kinda already did. :p

Last edited:

MJG

Smash Hero

bowser- win
bowser jr- win
falcon- lose
charizard- win
dark pit- even?
diddy kong- lose
donkey kong- win
dr. mario- win
duck hunt- lose
falco- even?
fox- lose?
ganon- win
greninja- ???
ike- win
jigglypuff- lose
king ddd- win
kirby- win?
link- win
little mac- lose?
lucario- lose!
lucas- ???
lucina- win
luigi- win?
mario- lose
marth- win
mega man- lose!
meta knight- win?
mewtwo- win?
mii brawler- win
mii gunner- win
mii swordfighter- win
gaw- lose
ness- even
olimar- ???
pacman- win
palutena- lose
peach- win
pikachu- even
pit- even?
rob- win
robin- win
rosalina- lose!
roy- win
ryu- win
samus- win
sheik- lose
shulk- win?
sonic- lose
toon link- win
wario- even?
wii fit- win
yoshi- lose
zelda- win
zss- lose?

I think DHD goes even with us. We're able to send the can back in DHD's direction and we can stop his Frisbee with slingshot as well. Just knowing how to utilize all your tools in the MU definitely help. I do agree about his camp game being stronger than ours. We have a winning MU with Lucas imo. Much more manageable than ness. I think we go even with sonic. This MU is pretty volatile to me since catching sonic with a stock lead can be tedious. Nair and our slingshot beat out a lot of sonic's regular approach tools. Gotta remember to hit sonic where he's gonna be x). Mr. R makes me feel like Ryu goes even with villager. It's not as easy as people think it is. Powershielding is really crucial for both sides of the MU. I'll try to get him in here to comment on the MU more. I personally think that MM gives us more trouble than Sheik. I was also able to play against Mr.R and vinnie's sheik for a good bit at CEO and felt like it was a lot more feasible than MM. We need to capitalize hard off stage vs Sheik, which is not always easy to do either. Sheik can simply up b if we get predictable with our pursuit off stage. There is a 2 frame window where we can bop sheik during her up b, which is when she jumps up initially. It's already been mentioned before but capitalizing on the 1 frame window for sheik when she is recovering is pretty crucial. We lose to ZSS but its only a slight disadvantage if anything. ZSS being tall certainly helps and we have a good time with her once she is off stage. Her grab is certainly good but she is susceptible to free combos/hard punishes if she whiffs her grab. TL vs Villager is similar to Sonic vs Villager in my eyes. It's a lot more drastic since I think that the player who takes the first stock is going to have a field day. For this particular list you have, player 1, I would switch falco and fox around. I've only played McPeePants falco before the update, so I don't have much ground to stand on for that MU. I got to play with megafox and larry (@CEO) for awhile and my thoughts on the MU didn't change. I'm not a fan of fighting lil mac but I don't loathe the MU. I literally just try to throw him off stage lol so if anyone has any advice in the MU (or any MUs for that matter), I'll gladly listen.

EDIT: About lucario's counter: A couple of lucario's in Colorado told me that lucario is vulnerable at his feet. I was not successful in my attempt to punish in this fashion lol

Last edited:

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
EDIT: About lucario's counter: A couple of lucario's in Colorado told me that lucario is vulnerable at his feet. I was not successful in my attempt to punish in this fashion lol
I confirm. The only way to punish lucario after his counter is trigerred is to hit him from under the stage.. If you time it correctly, You can grow a tree under his feet and kill him like that. the timing is hard tho.
Another example : If rob's gyro is on the ground, lucario won't be able to reach you with his coutner because the gyro is going to touch his poor lil feets #truestory

TR33

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pandaguy719
Hey guys yoshi's a pretty hard m/u so I'd like to share my opinion on it:
When I approach that m/u I try to play retreating the entire time since most yoshi's I play are pretty aggressive. There's a distance where he can punish lloid with dash attack and because of our floaty nature, and his great aerial mobility, this puts us into a really bad position. So if you find yourself trying to camp in this m/u try to summon lloids outside of this distance if possible. Whenever you lose momentum, i.e. he pops you up, do what you would against most other characters and try your best to reset neutral, this means di'ing as far away as possible and avoiding his juggle/ egg attemps. b-reversed pocket is also pretty useful because of it's momentum properties and i-frames. If you notice him try to camp you with eggs it's just something you have to play around. if you have a lloid out you can SH pocket the egg and he's now dealing with the rocket, I usually immediately toss the egg since it'll cover full hop approach, which they'll probably never do, and to have it ready for the next egg. From what I can tell as long as you have lloid's coming out and you're cycling his eggs away he shouldn't be able to camp you, that's only in my experience though yoshi's that try to camp me like this either get me when I slip up or stop because it isn't working and approach.

If there's anything to add or correct please do, hope it helps.

SPAZ494

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4511-0835-8425
Ok Roy and Lucas are both super frustrating for me to fight in general. I just started using villager yesterday but I'm doing well with him already. Anyway lucas is just annoying because he spams side b and his arials to quick jab combo are annoying also. Roy is difficult to ledge guard because of his ridiculous invincible up b. I get caught by his moves that have almost no end lag or that auto cancel from short hop because he can instantly follow up. Oh and I don't understand why there is almost no end lag on his neutral b but I'm working on getting around these things. I just need general advice on playing these characters and advice on playing them with villager.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm not able to participate in tournaments due to my area. But from my experience online, these are my worst match-ups for Villy.

:4falcon:
Hard to get him off once he's in. Falcon's jab usually stops most of my attempts to get away from him. I will say that I feel Falcon is in trouble once off the stage. Villy's Nair, Slingshot, and Bowling Ball make it hard for Falcon's somewhat linear recovery IMO.

:4sheik:
See Falcon. However, I feel it is much harder to gimp Sheik. Luckily she doesn't weigh a whole lot but she can space with Needles and has great frame data.

:4megaman:
Look at previous posts.

:4yoshi:
Yoshi is safe online. Maybe local play differs but I have issues punishing many of his attacks.

:4sonic:

Here are other match-ups that I think are probably at least slightly disadvantaged:
:4fox::4mario::4pikachu::rosalina::4zss::4littlemac::4alph:

I'm unsure about these but I would say that they're even or slightly disadvantaged as well.
:4tlink::4metaknight::4pit::4darkpit::4ness::4greninja:

I'm not the best Villager, I'm still practicing. But I feel pretty confident about these. I can't wait to see Ranai.

blinkingpigs

Smash Rookie
totally agree w/ above post and was actually gonna suggest the same thing. it's not efficient to have everything in one gargantuan thread

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Eh I've seen the one MU thread thing work, but that was in the PM Ness forum, where there were a lot less people discussing. They were more consistent too(until it died). I agree we should definitely try making separate threads, and see how it goes.

MJG

Smash Hero
I just think it works out better since we can reference the MU later if someone wants to take a look...rather than having the discussion take place in the middle of the thread and having to dig it up later

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
Created a match-up tutorial explaining how to deal with the Mega Man vs Villager Match-up!

Hope this helps some people out as I know a lot of Villagers are struggling with this match-up.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Ahh sorry, against Bowser.
Well honsetly, I looked all the way back to page 10, and I couldn't find where we discussed Bowser. Page 10 was way back in February, so going further back would just mean less informed and overall worse opinions on MUs. We should probably start the individual MU thread thing soon.

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Such great info in this thread every single time I come back. The Luigi MU info was just what I was looking for though slightly vague for my taste, but helpful.

Now, I desperately need intel on the Link AND Toon Link MUs guys. More so on Toon Link cuz he's much more of a pester to me but for both would be greatly appreciated. My friend who's a T. Link main told me that the forums said it's about 50:50 which I do concur with but I'd love to know how to go about fighting him. All I know is a lot of Lloyd's. They're rather difficult to gimp and the glide toss combos just murder me. I feel so defenseless with the endless barrage of STUFF!:crazy:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Such great info in this thread every single time I come back. The Luigi MU info was just what I was looking for though slightly vague for my taste, but helpful.

Now, I desperately need intel on the Link AND Toon Link MUs guys. More so on Toon Link cuz he's much more of a pester to me but for both would be greatly appreciated. My friend who's a T. Link main told me that the forums said it's about 50:50 which I do concur with but I'd love to know how to go about fighting him. All I know is a lot of Lloyd's. They're rather difficult to gimp and the glide toss combos just murder me. I feel so defenseless with the endless barrage of STUFF!:crazy:
yeah TL has a lot of stuff to work with its really your job to cancel his stuff with your own stuff + pocket slingshot clanks with every single projectile he owns except for bombs and bombs take a while to come out so pester him with slingshots while using lloyd (idk if air or ground) to block one or two projectiles and have a shield with you as you make your way towards him focus on denying him space.

big thing pocket those bombs items are amazing in smash 4 and the wood chip is way too inconsistent to make good use of bomb comboes into all sorts of aerials and even the axe!

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
yeah TL has a lot of stuff to work with its really your job to cancel his stuff with your own stuff + pocket slingshot clanks with every single projectile he owns except for bombs and bombs take a while to come out so pester him with slingshots while using lloyd (idk if air or ground) to block one or two projectiles and have a shield with you as you make your way towards him focus on denying him space.

big thing pocket those bombs items are amazing in smash 4 and the wood chip is way too inconsistent to make good use of bomb comboes into all sorts of aerials and even the axe!
Hella thanks Ant! Didn't realize that the bomb could be so useful for combos...hmm. So like. Glide tossing into a SH axe or grounded axe? I actually make great use of the axe so this may work out nicely for me. Also, using the tree as a cornering mechanism...? Mainly, I need to learn to be patient I feel too since both characters are extreme zoners.

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Patience should be a villager player's greatest virtue. :)

Top Bottom