• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourney Locator Moves Project M Content To New Stream

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
@Strong Bad At the time this article was written, it wasn't clear that Tourney Locator, the organization, was going to continue to stream through this new channel. It could have just as easily been an entirely new streamer. Things have obviously changed since then, so I can see about changing the title of the article!

There was no intention to mislead anyone with the title of the article, sorry if you were confused!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I think this is pretty reasonable, actually.

They're not dropping it entirely; isolating it just makes sure the entire channel doesn't go down with it if, God forbid, the PM Dev Team gets into legal trouble.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Competitive smash will die in the next 5 years, unless by some miraculous chance something will save it, melee is only so deep, and smash 4's problem isn't that it's unbalanced or slow, it's that smash 4 is about as deep as a paddling pool, it's players keep crying for patches and can't even decide on a consistent rule-set. With project M seemingly on death row due to Nintendo killing it off, I seriously fear for the future of smash...
So long as there are players with a competitive drive to beat someone else, the community will be fine. While I cannot speak for Melee's behalf, Project M and Smash 4 will continue to have players come out and support their respective games.

Masked Marill

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6935-1624
So long as there are players with a competitive drive to beat someone else, the community will be fine. While I cannot speak for Melee's behalf, Project M and Smash 4 will continue to have players come out and support their respective games.
Sorry I should have been more clear, I'm not saying that people will stop playing the game in a competitive way, I'm saying that it will lose the popularity and the places at big tournaments like EVO, competitive smash will always live on, but as a husk of it's former self.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Competitive smash will die in the next 5 years, unless by some miraculous chance something will save it, melee is only so deep, and smash 4's problem isn't that it's unbalanced or slow, it's that smash 4 is about as deep as a paddling pool, it's players keep crying for patches and can't even decide on a consistent rule-set. With project M seemingly on death row due to Nintendo killing it off, I seriously fear for the future of smash...
You're right. Also, Football and Chess will die in the next five years. They're only so deep.

Last edited:

Starlightstream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1048-8584-8382
I'm glad that at least they're keeping up Project M instead removing it altogether. More work for them, but at least they're showing their support for the game.

Masked Marill

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6935-1624
You're right. Also, Football and Chess will die in the next five years. They're only so deep.
Curse my lazy wording, The competitive way smash won't die, but I fear that it's popularity will die and as such it's places at EVO etc. will disappear, If competitive smash was popular enough and didn't have to be shackled by nintendo Then I would have no fear for its future as no matter how stagnant the game play may get we would still be assured exposure and we would still have players aiming for the top, The problem we've got, is we're Nintendo's ***** right now (or at least acting like it) Right now it's looking like we have 2 options Melee or Smash 4, no in-between just those two, now what if I want to play project M? well have fun going nowhere with it because we just want money, and ninetndo says they'll support us so long as we drop project M... and unfortunately due to the fact it's no longer present at major tournaments people have stopped playing it. Now what's gonna happen when melee eventually stagnates, EVO's gonna turn around and say "well we've enjoyed you stay, but lately we've seen that your performance is getting a little repetitive and we'd like to see something new" and due to that fact that smash 4 (and likely any subsequent games will stagnate way too fast and simply won't bring the same hype that melee did, And once we lose that big exposure it only goes downhill from there.
Of course this doesn't mean absolute doom for competitive smash, we can always start again, and hey maybe nintendo will hold big tournaments for us and give us the exposure we need (like with the pokemon VGC) however if that happens or game options probably won't go any further than smash 4. So who knows really, I feel a little silly that I made such a paranoid comment so soon, I should really sit back and at least see how things go with melee and smash 4 for now, before I make any rash decisions about the future of smash, maybe all we need is just some new blood.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Sorry I should have been more clear, I'm not saying that people will stop playing the game in a competitive way, I'm saying that it will lose the popularity and the places at big tournaments like EVO, competitive smash will always live on, but as a husk of it's former self.
Okay then. I can see that being a possibility and frankly, I don't mind that at all. I'd rather all games shine (like with Apex and other Smash only nationals) than see just one hog the spotlight. (Melee) If that makes sense.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
I don't think you guys realize how GIANT of a favor this is for the PM community. TLOC is literally jumping through hoops to provide amazing PM content. Everyone should be thankful

foshio

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you guys realize how GIANT of a favor this is for the PM community. TLOC is literally jumping through hoops to provide amazing PM content. Everyone should be thankful
What we want to know is why are they jumping through hoops? Who owns the hoops? And why are these hoop owners and acrobats not giving the audience any information..? We want to know what is happening. I'm not going to ever appreciate being left in the dark.

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
What we want to know is why are they jumping through hoops? Who owns the hoops? And why are these hoop owners and acrobats not giving the audience any information..? We want to know what is happening. I'm not going to ever appreciate being left in the dark.
METAPHORS!

Splozy

Smash Rookie
Just trying to sweep PM under the rug and ensure it never competes with Smash 4.

Nintendo clearly behind it, no reason why several places would all drop (the successful) PM in such a small time frame.

Sad really.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Curse my lazy wording, The competitive way smash won't die, but I fear that it's popularity will die and as such it's places at EVO etc. will disappear, If competitive smash was popular enough and didn't have to be shackled by nintendo Then I would have no fear for its future as no matter how stagnant the game play may get we would still be assured exposure and we would still have players aiming for the top, The problem we've got, is we're Nintendo's ***** right now (or at least acting like it) Right now it's looking like we have 2 options Melee or Smash 4, no in-between just those two, now what if I want to play project M? well have fun going nowhere with it because we just want money, and ninetndo says they'll support us so long as we drop project M... and unfortunately due to the fact it's no longer present at major tournaments people have stopped playing it. Now what's gonna happen when melee eventually stagnates, EVO's gonna turn around and say "well we've enjoyed you stay, but lately we've seen that your performance is getting a little repetitive and we'd like to see something new" and due to that fact that smash 4 (and likely any subsequent games will stagnate way too fast and simply won't bring the same hype that melee did, And once we lose that big exposure it only goes downhill from there.
Of course this doesn't mean absolute doom for competitive smash, we can always start again, and hey maybe nintendo will hold big tournaments for us and give us the exposure we need (like with the pokemon VGC) however if that happens or game options probably won't go any further than smash 4. So who knows really, I feel a little silly that I made such a paranoid comment so soon, I should really sit back and at least see how things go with melee and smash 4 for now, before I make any rash decisions about the future of smash, maybe all we need is just some new blood.
Fortunately, Nintendo HAS been seeming a bit more friendly to competitive smash...of course, it's nothing earth-shattering, just a few nice things here and there.

I disagree with your closing statement, if only because Sm4sh's competitive scene is made almost entirely of new blood. It IS nice to get new players, but we could also use some old faces to guide the meta and its players towards a more informed direction and help us to put down ideas and opinions that stem from ignorance rather than knowledge.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
So I am confused, their Project M content will not be on the main YouTube channel? I've been trying to find the Aftershock footage of PM but with no results, and I was hoping YouTube only.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Your disconnect from reality is hilarious.

If this is really true, then what would be in place of Project M's time slot for Tourney Locator's channel? Would It be more melee tourneys or brawl tourneys? :applejack:

Matty89

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hydra89
Well....you know.....screw it. At least ill have the most well balanced smash game out there, to play on the weekends if anything else. It has been fun while it lasted, but its really starting to look like the final screws in the coffin are in place, and nintendo has the flame throwers ready to burn it to hell...where it will go and burn some more. PM just getting **** on. "But Hydra, there will be its own YouTube channel now!?!?" Cool, you know who doesn't give a damn? Major tournaments / streamers. 2015, year of the sell out.

- hoo-ha

*puke*

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Is there a particular reason why they did this? Did they think that they NEEDED a channel exclusively for PM (because they don't) or was there a good reason behind this?

Top Bottom