• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Totally useless, but totally weird

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
If you are holding up while standing on the ground, and hit (X or Y) + A, you'll do an up-smash.

If you jump, you didn't hit A soon enough, and if you up-tilt you didn't hit X or Y soon enough.

I can't really think of why they would have programmed this to happen. It's the only way I believe it's possible to smash without smashing the control-stick (or using the c-stick in vs mode).

Toomai

Smash Ace
That actually makes complete sense. An upsmash is programed to start if you press A during the crouch-before-jump animation (I think). So it shouldn't matter which way you jump.

Actually, this could be useful against a player who controllerwatches. Getting upsmashed without smashing a stick would be very confusing.

Sudai

Stuff here
I can think it'd be useful for someone with an Up Tilt/Smash combo like Fox. Holding up to UTilt if they come in from behind, but if they jump over and attack from the front you can USmash. Probably easier to just CStick it though and chances are, you're not going to be just standing around waiting for a tilt...sooooo.....yeah.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I can think it'd be useful for someone with an Up Tilt/Smash combo like Fox. Holding up to UTilt if they come in from behind, but if they jump over and attack from the front you can USmash. Probably easier to just CStick it though and chances are, you're not going to be just standing around waiting for a tilt...sooooo.....yeah.
Well, some foxes are starting to edgeguard with the u-tilt, it works fairly well...

So if the opponent goes over and then FFs, you might be able to pull some usefullness out of this..

Nice find either way

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
it is basically just a jced upsmash right? as far as i know you cant JC to an uptilt...
Not entirely, it's a jump-cancelled "A" button, while you were already holding up on the control-stick. No actual smashing is involved, it just reveals some of the underlying game mechanics. Actually, I'm not entirely sure you would be able to jump-cancel smash (or up-smash out of shield) without this mechanic.

alucard1201

Smash Rookie
thats pretty weird, but it wuld be annoyin to get used to doin that just to up smash, wierd find!

Silhouette

Smash Lord
it makes sense because a u-smash is a combination of an upward direction, a jump and the A button all at the same time. a normal u-smash works because smashing the J-stick upward = upward direction +jump \ + A = u-smash and your just replacing the jump the J-stick gives you with the X\Y button.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
As Rohins pointed out, this can actually be useful if you want to up-smash out of shield without using the C-stick. Just hold up (DI your shield up, don't jump out of it), and JC the A button. There are at least 2 other ways to upsmash out of shield though, so it's no big deal.

Phanna, I'm pretty sure you can do it w/ b as well. I think it is just a jc'd usmash/ up-b. I wouldn't be surprised if it were possible w/ Z as well to do a grab.
Well if you are holding up and you hit B, it's no big suprise that you would do an up-B, jumping or not. As for Z, hitting X/Y and then Z does a JC Grab, this is old news, and holding up doesn't impact that. So I don't see the correlation.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Previos post deleted for reasons of stupidity.

I thought of a good use for this:
Buffered sheild smashes. would be tricky to do, but you (while in shield) just hold up on the control stick, while being attacked hold up on the c-stick, then time the pressing of A correctly. Easier to do than any other way i can think of.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
sry for double post.
I figured out why the game is programmed like this. It is definately a jc usmash, not a jc "a button".
It's so you can jc a usmash with up & a, without having to hit up twice. Since the game is programmed to not care how you jump, the mechanic also applies to x,y, up-c out of shield as well.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
actually, i don't see how you are correct, Mariownage. He commented on that he didn't know why the game was programmed that way. i answered.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Do we really need to cause drama?

phanna already said that. I didn't plan on posting more than once in this thread =\ people are so deffensive these days.

Top Bottom