• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toronto and Surrounding GTA Pokérankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.B

Smash Ace
Since when have I had trouble against Jake? I've never even faced him in a tourney.

Issues with DK? I beat him in our MM and I'm pretty sure losing to him in the one and only tourney set we had, which ended up being 2-3, doesn't qualify as "having issues" with him.

I suggest you keep quiet, and tomorrow at your Bi-Weekly, show why you and I should trade places.
ZOMG OWNED!?!?!

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
lol Ambrose will be extremely tough to knock off for 10th place, trust me. Might be a task that none of the up and comers can accomplish.

But I can't wait for the biweekly :]

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Time to manuaaal quotee;

David: "Furthermore, Imadh hasn't beaten RaynEx in a tournament set whereas I have"

I love yous...but correction. You have also NEVER beaten me in a set in a tourny. Matches yes, full sets...no. Its never happened. I will agree that we do have some close matches though.

"I realize that Imadh had a very strong showing in doubles at T8 "

Once upon a time, Bernard took on Nate and Daniel by himself and beat them in doubles. Twice.

True story. I.b.+Raynex ftw. :D

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Time to manuaaal quotee;

David: "Furthermore, Imadh hasn't beaten RaynEx in a tournament set whereas I have"

I love yous...but correction. You have also NEVER beaten me in a set in a tourny. Matches yes, full sets...no. Its never happened. I will agree that we do have some close matches though.

"I realize that Imadh had a very strong showing in doubles at T8 "

Once upon a time, Bernard took on Nate and Daniel by himself and beat them in doubles. Twice.

True story. I.b.+Raynex ftw. :D
I beat you in Winner's bracket at Charles's Biweekly. You beat me in grand finals.

True story.

unknown522

Some guy
HA! I took 6th place already in my first comeback to tourneys! lol

Imahd I gotta play u for ur place since I won in winner's semi-finals against u

D

Deleted member

i tried to get the blackest, most gangsta pokemon for you ryan

edit: ambrose evolved into metapod!!!111

Maelstrom

Smash Journeyman
lol wow ......interesting Ranking....Ryan makes a comeback out of no where....and a luigi makes it to top 10...:confused: lol congrats to both of u..

divine knight

Smash Journeyman
btw. ryan has been pimpin **** before the lots of you came to the scene. It was just a matter of him actually coming to somethign., he finally came, did well, so he was put where he should be.

and coolhat is just illin' yo. he has a serious luigi gooing on.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
it's a shame you're only 2 ranks ahead of him then
Sheik and ICs gay Luigi to death really nasty. I'm not insulting him.

I've played his Luigi. It's impressive. It seems to do well in a great deal of awkward matchups. However, I'm still surprised he's ranked so high given he placed 9th and didn't really do great at Adnan's ranking battle but whatever.

D

Deleted member

Hmm.. not much reaaaaally changed, this list is probably more accurate. The first one was slightly rushed in time for David's thing to have more people come. It worked, and some initial problems with the first list were addressed.

Nate vs David
Imadh vs Bernard
Imadh vs David
Daniel vs Bernard

etc etc, the aformentioned matchups were ranking discrepancies to some, so this list kind of reflects how it was decided at David's house. Don't quote me on this, but I don't expect it to change too too much after this, maybe one or two minor changes.

Edit: Either way, it's much better to have it updated oftenish instead of having your name practically immortalized in stone on the other EC PR. My rank has been completely inaccurate for the longest time. So trust me, it's better this way.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Edit: Either way, it's much better to have it updated oftenish instead of having your name practically immortalized in stone on the other EC PR. My rank has been completely inaccurate for the longest time. So trust me, it's better this way.
Let me guess...you should be higher right? Let's see your arguments. I already asked you what changes you would make to the EC PR in the GTA thread and you never replied. Also, it's real cool to complain about the EC PR in your own little thread, instead of the EC PR thread itself.

D

Deleted member

The changes I would make are definitely what some would disagree with heavily. So instead of making that public, I'd rather not say it at all and not care.

The people in question I'm kind of friends with as well. It's weird saying that I'm better than them.

I don't even have a plan or concrete suggestion at the moment anyway.

If I cared enough, if I wanted to, I would sit down and really take a long look at the EC PR and say my suggestions. I'm not really complaining about the EC PR; I haven't much interest in it. But for the people who may live by it, let it be known that it's wrong at the moment, and you can quote me on that as much as you like.

Why is it wrong? I can't tell you that just yet, but I'll try and get back to you.

It's clear that I don't care about it very much, as I do not go into other cities' threads and try and defend something like you do. You aren't even on it, why do you care so much? I have a hard time grasping this idea with a lot of people. They just care about it too much.

Fogel

Smash Lord
The changes I would make are definitely what some would disagree with heavily. So instead of making that public, I'd rather not say it at all and not care.

The people in question I'm kind of friends with as well. It's weird saying that I'm better than them.

I don't even have a plan or concrete suggestion at the moment anyway.

If I cared enough, if I wanted to, I would sit down and really take a long look at the EC PR and say my suggestions. I'm not really complaining about the EC PR; I haven't much interest in it. But for the people who may live by it, let it be known that it's wrong at the moment, and you can quote me on that as much as you like.

Why is it wrong? I can't tell you that just yet, but I'll try and get back to you.

It's clear that I don't care about it very much, as I do not go into other cities' threads and try and defend something like you do. You aren't even on it, why do you care so much? I have a hard time grasping this idea with a lot of people. They just care about it too much.
The reason I'm posting in this thread is that you keep saying that the EC PR is biased, but won't give concrete reasons why it's biased. I don't like random unfounded trashtalk about something I've worked on, especially when there has been no logical reason given for said trashtalk.

Also, if you don't care about it, then why do you trash it every chance you get? Obviously you do care on some level, or you wouldn't say anything at all.

D

Deleted member

I am not trashing it every post. The level I care about is solely to defend my own PR which I DO care about because it's a cornerstone in making Toronto a lively Smash community. So when someone says, "I really hope this PR isn't NNR Nepotism Rankings" or "This seems really sensitive" etc, I can use an EXISTING PR which I AM A PART OF, and am a panelist for to give good comparisons. You need to start reading through the lines and stop assuming that I trash talk the EC PR. It's criticism.

For me, the EC PR exists as a model on how not to do a PR. That's a huge exaggeration, but whatever. I will talk to you about this on MSN.

So it's not trash talk, and it's certainly not random. For example, on our PR, Noah and I are tied, and Noah and I both feel that is correct. Yet on the EC PR, we're a couple spots apart IIRC. I really doubt that the person(s) between us squeeze in the tiny gap of skill between me and Noah.

It's outdated, it needs to be updated, this cannot be denied. After Transcan there were a bunch of posters saying that it needed to be, including Vwins. However, the only place you see me saying anything about that it needs to be updated is on my "little" thread (FYI, Toronto > Ottawa and Montreal in population.) in response to some discrepancies and used the criticism to better the GTA PR. I said to Alphameric that it's better we update it frequently than not at all, a la EC PR. How in the hell is that trash talk?

Either way. I'll talk to you on msn.

Cameron, I just want to remind you that even if my ranking isn't inaccurate, you've still said without meaning to that a 5 month PR is still correct. So if you still think that after thinking about that little tidbit of info, then I'm not sure what to say, other than you're flat out wrong

Dice

Smash Lord
EC PR isn't updated because the majority of the people don't really care anymore >_>

So I think it's cool that Toronto is doing their own since there's no point in waiting on the EC one because nobody is really that interested in having it updated.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
For me, the EC PR exists as a model on how not to do a PR. That's a huge exaggeration, but whatever.
I don't understand the logic at hand here.

So it's not trash talk, and it's certainly not random. For example, on our PR, Noah and I are tied, and Noah and I both feel that is correct. Yet on the EC PR, we're a couple spots apart IIRC. I really doubt that the person(s) between us squeeze in the tiny gap of skill between me and Noah.
Well, I don't really think personal opinion has ANY PLACE on a PR. They are ranked because of RESULTS. Since these are from matches/tournaments, there is always a WINNER and a LOSER, someone better and someone worse. Therefore there should never be a tie on a spot.

Just goes to show ones knowledge of making a PR.

Either way. I'll talk to you on msn.
Procrastinators unite!
Tomorrow!

EC PR isn't updated because the majority of the people don't really care anymore >_>

So I think it's cool that Toronto is doing their own since there's no point in waiting on the EC one because nobody is really that interested in having it updated.
It is being updated. I have seen a draft.

D

Deleted member

I don't understand the logic at hand here.
I mean to say that it's not simply a model to base another PR off of, I was exaggerating. The EC PR does have its uses, but most aren't exactly relevant for me.

Well, I don't really think personal opinion has ANY PLACE on a PR. They are ranked because of RESULTS. Since these are from matches/tournaments, there is always a WINNER and a LOSER, someone better and someone worse. Therefore there should never be a tie on a spot.
Empirical evidence isn't always reliable, that I will agree with. But professional opinion and personal opinion aren't exactly the same as you probably know. And you probably know that even if in black and white it says X won and Y lost, it doesn't say who is better. Which is why you need opinion and experienced based arguments to help back it up.

If it was only tournament rankings, then I would have been a hell of a lot higher on the EC PR the first draft.

It is being updated. I have seen a draft.
Shows how much I'm involved then. I haven't. What's the list?

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Empirical evidence isn't always reliable, that I will agree with. But professional opinion and personal opinion aren't exactly the same as you probably know. And you probably know that even if in black and white it says X won and Y lost, it doesn't say who is better. Which is why you need opinion and experienced based arguments to help back it up.

If it was only tournament rankings, then I would have been a hell of a lot higher on the EC PR the first draft.?
'Red Samus needs proof badly.' -lawlgauntlet

Anyway, maybe name should be changed to something more formal then.

EDIT: youposttoofast Maybe I was insinuating that you are biased or don't know what you think you know. So when was this list made last? Oh, was it shortly after the tournament on the way home? Seems entirely opinion based.

D

Deleted member

What am I making up? I know fully well and accept that opinion was used on the PR, what are you insinuating?

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
An announcement to everyone on the PR with the exceptions of Del, Bread-Butterer, Ambrose, Coolhat and Raynex:

MM me. I played like crap at the biweekly and this needs to be addressed. This single performance seems to have destroyed every single accomplishment I have made recently and I'm not happy about it. So I am going to MM people.

Divine Knight: We've talked this out. Your Fawks. My Sheik. Bo3. $5. Sounds good. Stage bans are yes and first stage neutral, blah, blah. This will be fun. A round of ICs vs your Fox afterwards would also be amusing although that would be a friendly. I don't play my ICs vs Fox unless it's on Corneria or something and I feel like loling around.

Runawayfire: Your Jiggs. My Sheik. Bo3. $5. Rematch for my terrible performance against you at the biweekly. I sincerely regret doing so badly. Bring me my controller.

Unknown: Your Doc. My Sheik. Bo3. $10. Or go Fox or I'll go ICs for nostalgia's sake (iirc last time I beat you I used ICs). Honestly, though, I don't really care about character selection. We can discuss this if you're up to it.

I.B: Your Marth. My ICs. Bo3. $10. Or you can go Falco rofl if you think you'll do better vs my ICs with him. Any Falcon gayness will receive a swift lashing from my Sheik. I despise Falcon vs ICs. Hence why I main Sheik. Essentially I'm offering you a 6-4 matchup in your favour using my secondary versus your main. Sounds stacked in your favour, doesn't it. Somehow I'm not too horrified.

Chaotic: Your Falcon. My Sheik. Bo3. $10. I realize you aren't on the PR but I would appreciate a rematch because apparently that single match was taken into an incredible amount of consideration during the ranking update despite my large win record against you.

Steve: Your ICs. My Sheik. Bo3. $5. I know you also aren't on the PR but I'm bored and this is a lol matchup.

Volasko: Your Marth. My Sheik or ICs you can pick. $10. Once again no longer on the PR but I figure I should just add another notch in the bedpost.

GK: I realize he won't be at the next one with his CoS buddies. But Bo3 for $10 like we discussed on Facebook of my Sheik and your Peach will happen.

Adnan: I realize you are also not on the PR. But for ONE DOLLAR AND THIRTY-SEVEN CENTS. My Kirby and your Peach. Bo3. EPIC. (My ulterior motive is that I have a lot of dimes, pennies and nickels.)

alphameric

Smash Ace
I still think its a bit odd that a single bo3/5 match will have a huge effect on upping someone on the PR. Even if that isn't the case, that's how it really appears to be right now (from an observational point of course).

Keep in mind, the goal isn't to be better than those only within ones reach, but to be better than all competitors in the GTA.

divine knight

Smash Journeyman
before i hit reply, ididnt even remember what thread this was, nor, as i will subsequently prove, that it matters at all.

Wtf is wrong with the toronto scene. we're all friends. soooo ****ing trivial this bickering. I think i speak for everyone on saying the biweekly was tons of fun.

And further speaking on everyone's behalf, i believe, is that if toronto were to get their scene together we could really step up our game. Between all of us i don't think there would be any need to travel anymore.

Bigger picture people! why not constructively critique our FELLOW players instead of trashtalking who they are good with or what rank they are.

Its just a fun way to practice, then play/show off skill. So calm the **** down everyone, surriously.

i better start seeing this henceforth from this post; if i continue to see this negative attitude and scene i'll quit with an ease of mind.

And not all of Toronto feels bad towards the EC PR. Jake has his own views. If anything i agree with dice that people stopped caring: the distance is too great to really prove anything and the top 3 of it are the pinnacle of Canada anyway. Furthermore, i think the EC PR is more of a shame than a outrage because the majority of players do not get the chance to play each other.

and remember:

the kingdom of god is within us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom