• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 5 smash64 players (Online only)

StealthECartman

Smash Apprentice
100% agree with everything Johnny said. It definitely does seem true that the people with low delay don't really care that console is 0 frames and online is 3-5 usually, and think its just "close enough". I was asking for p2p smash in the main chat a couple months ago and out of nowhere Koro is like "why, your ping is under 60, no need to p2p"...I'd rather play in 2-3 frames via p2p ANY day than 5 frames on galaxy. It's stupid how people treat the subject.

DMoogle

A$
100% agree with everything Johnny said. It definitely does seem true that the people with low delay don't really care that console is 0 frames and online is 3-5 usually, and think its just "close enough". I was asking for p2p smash in the main chat a couple months ago and out of nowhere Koro is like "why, your ping is under 60, no need to p2p"...I'd rather play in 2-3 frames via p2p ANY day than 5 frames on galaxy. It's stupid how people treat the subject.
I might be wrong, but I think that kind of mentality is more the exception rather than the rule.

If I were on the west coast, I probably wouldn't ever play on Galaxy 64 either, I would just ask for P2P all day. Accordingly, if any west coaster ever wants to P2P me, then I'll happily agree, even though I don't benefit from it, and sometimes get more delay (I usually get 3, or sometimes 4 frames with someone on the west coast, whereas I get 3 on Galaxy 64).

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Most of the Aus players discount the results of any matches over 3 frames. We get 10-50 ping without exception, but p2p is still by far the preferred option.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
You know what we should do?
We should reverse the way things are
Let's move Galaxy64 to the West coast so the East coasters can see what delay I have to deal with while playing online.
I wouldn't play on galaxy if i lived on the west coast. This is what p2p is for; I play on galaxy because I only have 3 frames and play people who don't lag, and i'll p2p if someone is looking to. It just seems that people comparing 3 frames to console are exaggerating it way too much. I can understand 5-9 frames (or anything beyond that, yikes) being annoying and a little hard to get used to, but 3 frames is really not that bad.. and online is where you'll get most of your good competitive action, so why not just get used to it? I have no reason to play on console anymore unless it's just to practice comboing or something.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
There's your key point right there: "Why not just get used to it?"
Obviously it's not the same if you have to throw that question out, now is it?
And if you mention it that way, why not practice combo online?
Single player mode is available even when you're playing online.
Only reason I can think of is cause there's delay, which means you can't do your combos as nicely as you wish.

People comparing 3 frames to console aren't exaggerating; it's a fact that console is better.
Even with p2p, there's obvious defects; just ask SuperBoomFan.
I played p2p with him a few weeks ago, and even he noticed the defective moves I was doing.
I hit stun him with my boomerang, and short hop up to forward A to finish him off, but I do only a short hop. It happened multiple times.
That wouldn't happen on console.

Granted, you wouldn't play on Galaxy64 if you lived on the west coast.
So now if let's say Galaxy64 got moved to California, and everyone shared your mentality, wouldn't that just throw the majority of smash64 players out the window.
There's so many more East coasters than there are West coasters.
Not many people play p2p, I'm one of them.
I just want to get online and join a random match and play right away.

Sensei

Smash Lord
Bad way to rank people. Only way to get a somewhat accurate rank of players skill is if there were enough console ssb tournaments a lot of people participated in, to get enough data of wins/losses where everyone is on an even playing ground (no delay, lag) and then reach a consensus among the judge panel experts. That or there is a breakthrough in technology that allows for "faster than light" telecommunications (no delay, no lag) and perfect emulation and the same hardware, but then the identity of the player can be disputed; I can pretend to be my noob friend and pwn noobs myself and then my noob friend is now a pro. Good luck getting either of those scenarios. Go to the APEX tournament in NJ, the grease trucks are worth it IMHO.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Most of us tend play on a fairly equal playing field in terms of dealy. It's not like the odds are stacked against a certain player. If I p2p with someone I'm dealing with the exact same delay they have to deal with.

Overall online ssb64 can be and is, in most cases, a very accurate representation of skill level. And its just dumb when people try to say "online doesn't mean anything" or something to that effect.

And, I don't think too many people know about this, but it's a lot harder for a 9 frame person to play against a 4 frame person online because of the input delay.
Most of us don't understand why you deal with 9 frames instead of just p2p'ing.

Let's play my dear Sheer =) .

Yoshi vs Yoshi would be nice !! =P
I don't do Yoshi dittos. I'd go Fox on your Yoshi. =]

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
Because I don't like to look or wait for someone to ask to play p2p.
If you hadn't noticed, I'm not a chatter when I'm on Kailerra; I'm just on to play.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I don't get on for chats either but I'd rather look for someone to p2p with than play with 9 frames.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
I am used to it, and I can practice combos online, but what's the point when you can just do it regularly through the emu?

I am used to 3 frames delay, oh noez!

Again I say, why don't you just get used to it? Do you really have that many people in real life to play on console with that you have to worry about transitioning from console to online and experiencing the slight delay?

There is much more to north america than just east coast and west coast. People DO live in between those areas.

I live in the chicago area, NJ is way too far to even think about going just to play smash on console.

If there was something in my area, I might go to it if it's not too far. But these events are probably rare.

I live like 800 miles from the server and still get only 3 frame, galaxy is not strictly east coast.

Why not try p2p? You might like it.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
Trust me, I'm used to it.
I have 8 mbps connection, live 3000 miles away, and I get 100 ping. I don't get your point.

So bottom line is.. you're reiterating my statement.
There is a difference between online play and console play.
That's all I was looking for, thanks.
There's no if's or but's to this, if there's a difference, there's a difference.
And clearly, we can all agree that if people can choose to play on console against each other rather than online, we'd all do so.

And yes, I do have people I play on console with sometimes.
And the transition from 9 to 0 frame delay takes a few games to get used to.

Anyway, enough of my 2 cents here. Have a good evening, everyone.

malva00

Smash Master
Overall online ssb64 can be and is, in most cases, a very accurate representation of skill level. And its just dumb when people try to say "online doesn't mean anything" or something to that effect.
face it buddy, you're not good enough to understand the difference between console and online. you haven't even had much console experience with good players in your life.

Now onto another topic:

It's hard to get a p2p matches from people in galaxy for many reasons. Everyone's usually playing already, they just play with the people they are used to, don't know what p2p is, or are too lazy to p2p. I think the best way to get p2p matches is through instant messengers.

Peek ~

Smash Cadet
maybe a server can be setup for just p2p match making. You can also have the server reject any game trying to be made or have 'certain games only' like chats.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Aussies have a Windows Live MSN group (thanks to james/blaze3927) so people can message everyone online to set up games. From what I understand most of you guys use AIM, could something similiar be do be done there?

smakis

Smash Ace
smahs online is awesome, but there is a clear difference from console. I have been playing for a quite a while with a friend from portugal, fox vs falcon on 3 frames of delay. When i try the jab > dtilt > jab > dtilt etc shield pressure, he moves, we get 1 frame of delay, I dont get shieldgrabbed anymore.

I downloaded the ntsc version to my wii and even with gamecube controller it just feels smoother and responds quicker (though i still sucked, gamecube controller is just not suited for smash64 imo)

Battlecow

Play to Win
And clearly, we can all agree that if people can choose to play on console against each other rather than online, we'd all do so.
I wouldn't. I feel like I'd be at a distinct disadvantage, both because my controller skillz<My keyboard skillz and because I'm used to the delay. I personally don't thing you'd notice the difference, but to each his own.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
gamecube controller is just not suited for smash64 imo
I dont agree I think you just need to be smooth with the stick. I use the hori minipad (pretty much the same joystick) and i think it works way better when used to it.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
I dont agree I think you just need to be smooth with the stick. I use the hori minipad (pretty much the same joystick) and i think it works way better when used to it.
I don't think the the stick is the issue. I think it's more the button layout. for instance you cant button slide from X or Y to B to shine cancel, and other stuff like that.

H0lyQuebec

Smash Apprentice
from who i played. Debatable, underrated players, overrated players and all and is not an official list, just my own personal opinion.

1: malva00(haven't really played against)
2: superboom(haven't play in age)
3: jaimeHR(2muchdelay)/ HolyQuebec/ SheerMadness/ DannySSB(2muchDelay)/ Frogles
4: Fireblaster/ A$/ Denken/ Ybombb/ PD/ Mahie(2muchDelay)/ ZGE
5: Ecartman/ Pure/ Nephiros/
Chuck Norris of smash: MATTS!

Special mention of people that should be there: Parallax, Zenyore, Tigerbombz

SheerMadness

Smash Master
To each his own.
Yup, and if you'd rather play with 9 frames than look for p2p thats obviously your call. But if you'd rather play with lower delay why not ask for p2p when you join games with people like me, who you know will p2p? You have been joining my games a lot recently so why play on such an uneven playing field when u can just ask me to p2p?

face it buddy, you're not good enough to understand the difference between console and online. you haven't even had much console experience with good players in your life.
Haha what a ridiculous statement. That clearly has nothing to do with skill. Maybe I'm not experienced enough on console to see the huge difference some of you see, but it certainly has nothing to do with my skill level.

EDIT: Like Holy said, top 5 lists essentially all come down to personal opinions.

kys

Smash Ace
Another glaring difference that has been talked around but not specifically stated is the difference in controllers. Many people online use keyboard, xbox 360, playstation 3, etc. Anyways, I have to buffer all my tilts and uairs because my xbox 360 controller is too sensitive (it's 3rd party). Obviously the experience isn't the same, because it's not how I learned and I tend to screw up nearly all my combos.

So while the controller issue above ^ doesn't apply to everyone, for many it isn't the same and changes the smash experience in a very fundamental way. That's my 2 cents.

malva00

Smash Master
Haha what a ridiculous statement. That clearly has nothing to do with skill. Maybe I'm not experienced enough on console to see the huge difference some of you see, but it certainly has nothing to do with my skill level.
What's ridiculous is you commenting on the subject so much when you've barely experienced console. That's the most ridiculous thing I've seen this month.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I have enough console experience to know that my skill level doesn't change when I switch from online to console.

And that people who say online doesn't mean anythng are dumb.

malva00

Smash Master
If you truly had enough console experience, which you haven't, then your skill level is not high enough to tell the difference.

Low skill level is easily reproducible online. High skill level is not.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
You're basically saying that a pure online ssb64 player can never be highly skilled which is just dumb.

So I guess people like me and JaimeHR will never be good since we pretty much only play online.

malva00

Smash Master
I'm not saying that.

I'm saying that the same degree of high level skill from the n64 cannot be exactly shown online. It's watered down.

The higher skill level you have, the more difference you will have between your online performance and your console performance.

AlanCiTuAndPope20

Smash Journeyman
Most of us tend play on a fairly equal playing field in terms of dealy. It's not like the odds are stacked against a certain player. If I p2p with someone I'm dealing with the exact same delay they have to deal with.

Most of us don't understand why you deal with 9 frames instead of just p2p'ing.

I don't do Yoshi dittos. I'd go Fox on your Yoshi. =]
no yoshi dittos? too bad T_T
Np I'm used to play my yoshi against top tiers =P
Btw I'm a pure console player and to be honest I noticed the difference hugely between console and online games.
I'm not as fast as I am playing on console and I make stupid mistakes playing online T_T.
The difference is very clear.. you cannot show your true skills in online games. maybe you can perform a big percent of your skills but not the 100 % because of delay. At least is my opinion and I respect the others.

malva00

Smash Master
Btw I'm a pure console player and to be honest I noticed the difference hugely between console and online games.
you don't count because you have barely played online. what you fail to realize is that by playing online for a while, you can somewhat compensate for the delay as you get used to it. However, a high skill level player will never be able to perform online as well as he or she can on console.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Any game where there is delay you won't be able to play your 100% best, why is there such a big fight over it? Playing online isn't worthless but there is a difference just like there would be with any other game with online play.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
If someone can go from being a complete noob to being a fairly skilled player (like me) entirely from online play, and not drop in skill level when switching from online to console...

Then that clearly debunks the "online doesn't mean anything" crap, which is what I've been arguing the whole time.

Yes, there is a difference between and online and console, I've never argued that. And it is harder for console players to switch to online than it is for online players to switch to console. But some of you greatly exaggerate it to the point of making it sound like online ssb64 has 0 correlation to console skill level which simply is not the case.

Anyway I guess we'll find out in a month or so when I play Darth Rancorous. Pure online player vs pure console player. He SHOULD have a big advantage over me right, according to you console elitists...

I argue the opposite. I'd say I have a big advantage over him since I've been playing top samus players for years while hes probably never encountered a Yoshi like mine.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
im prolly not the best person to rep the "pure-console" players but ill try my best :p

someone like alancitu would prolly be the best person imo

Top Bottom