• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 10 favorite movies?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This is the thread to share your passion for the movies that have inspired and influenced you. Just know that you don't have to specifically make a top 10.

Here are my choices

10. Naked Gun trilogy

These are some of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Airplane! is as good, if not better than these, but I enjoy the story and charm of Naked Gun more. These movies are just filled to the brim with visual and audible humor in every scene. The running gags are amazing. Frank bumping his car into something in every scene where he drives somewheres new and the gags in all 3 of the opening credits are wonderful. There are just a bunch of hilarious moments I can name, like when Frank bumps into a guy on a wheelchair which sends him spinning all over the place and eventually out the window where his silhouette mirrors that of E.T's. Or the moments where he is mispronouncing something or doing something completely wrong, making him look like a fool. Like the one time where he brought his mic into the bathroom with him and the whole audience can hear him struggling to take a ****. Or the time where he gets into a gunfight with someone 5 feet away, and he ends up knocking the guy out by throwing his gun at him.

Overall, these are some of the greatest comedies of all time. If you want a good laugh, I highly recommend these.

9. Jaws

There's not much new I can bring to the discussion. This is just a solid film with likeable characters, great writing, and some of the most iconic music of all time. For me, I can rewatch this film many times and not get bored. It just has that summer charm to it that makes it fun and relaxing to get into. It feels so real and authentic, partially due to the fact that you don't see the shark up close a lot to notice that its an animatronic.

8. Halloween

This is a film that actually benefits from its low budget feel. Like with Jaws, it's set in reality, in the quiet neighborhood of Haddonfield, which is actually directly inspired by the real life town Haddonfield in New Jersey. It's a slow burner of a film, but that only serves to get you immersed into this innocent town that is suddenly taken over by evil. The tension builds up, and the shots where The Shape watches Laurie from afar are genuinely creepy. Combine that with one of the best horror themes of all time, and some brilliant performances from Jamie Lee Curtis and Donald Pleasance and you have a recipe for a brilliant film that is rewatchable and helped to jumpstart the slasher genre.

7. King Kong (2005)

As much as I appreciate and enjoy the original, the 2005 remake is my prefered version. Not only is it the version that I watched first as a little kid, but it expands upon the formula from the original and makes it more cinematic. People often complain about the runtime, but honestly I barely notice it. Despite the fact that the crew doesn't even get on the island until the 1 hour point, I think the pacing is great and the film is entertaining throughout. From the creepy buildup to Skull Island's reveal to the action sequences and small character moments (Especially in the extended version), this remake gives more depth to scenes that the original couldn't deliver either due to the runtime or the limitations of its time. It has a reason to exist and I think it's an amazing experience.

6. Friday The 13th Part 4

My favorite horror franchise. Depending on my mood this spot could be swapped for parts 1,2 or 6. But I choose part 4 because not only is it one of the more fun films in the series, it also has some actual likeable characters which helps out a lot. As for Friday in general, I think it's just a really entertaining series and is very rewatchable for me. You have characters doing stupid ****, some creepy moments here and there, you have Jason who is a classic horror icon, and some of the most memorable kills in the genre. If I wanted to, I could just give this spot to the whole series because even the worst ones are fun in their own ways. From Jason Takes Manhattan which has silly moments littered throughout, to Jason X which is just Jason in space; it's quite creative with some of the scenarios and kills. I just can't get enough of this franchise and there are other highlights like Kane Hodder's Jason which is just ruthless.

5. Hacksaw Ridge

One time when I was over a friend of the family's house, he talked to me about a film where a guy goes into a battlefield without any weapons to help save his comrades. I was intrigued and decided to watch the film with him. I was absolutely blown away. I don't watch war movies that often (no particular reason), but this movie is just exceptional. First, you got Andrew Garfield who is a great actor, I also enjoyed his acting in the Amazing Spider-Man films. You really get to know Desmond and he has a believable motive for not wanting to carry a gun. Second, this film has some intense and engrossing action scenes. But what makes Hacksaw Ridge stand out is when the dust settles and Desmond explores the warzone looking for survivors. He drags each one over a long stretch of land and then carries them down a hill on a rope. This whole montage is so powerful because of the music, the shots of his hands trembling and bleeding, the reactions of the soldiers being saved, and Andrew Garfield's performance.

"Please lord, just one more."

This is one of the handful of films that managed to make me cry, and the great thing is that the film was inspired by a real Desmond who actually rescued dozens of soldiers from a battlefield during a war. Hacksaw Ridge is just emotionally gripping, please give it a watch.

4. Raiders of the Lost Ark

I'm gonna say it here: This is one of those films that is as close to perfect as you can get. Everything just works so seamlessly. The acting, action cinematography, pacing, humor, dialogue, character interactions, story, music, everything is top notch. Some people bring up how even if Indiana Jones wasn't in the movie, the plot would have ended the same way. They do have a point, but does it really matter? The film itself is fantastic either way. For me, this film just has a charm that no other movie has. The closest would be the third film, The Last Crusade, but even then there is something about Raiders that I enjoy more. I can't quite put my finger on it, there is something about it that makes it so entertaining and rewatchable.

3. Star Wars original trilogy

If I had to pick one, I would probably go with Return of the Jedi because the last confrontation between Luke and Darth Vader is so powerful. But these movies work so well because of the fact that they are a trilogy. Cinemassacre did a video once explaining why this trilogy resonates with so many people and why it's the pop culture juggernaut it is. Basically, it combines aspects from all kinds of cultures and movies to make something that is familiar, yet new at the same time. For me personally, a large part of why I love this trilogy is due to nostalgia. Like many others I watched these films as a kid and it captured my imagination, plus Lego Star Wars was my first video game ever. But even as I watch and analyze these films as an adult, I do find new things to appreciate about them. And as a whole, they are simply fun, thoughtful and even wholesome.

2. The Mist

While Friday The 13th is my favorite horror series, The Mist is my top favorite horror film (Or second favorite, depending on how you view the next film). I watched this film as a kid, and it left quite the impression on me. Not just because of the ending which is brilliant, but also because it captured my imagination so much. You have these people stuck in a store, surrounded by a thick mist that contains deadly monsters. The film oozes with tension and suspense. You never know when someone will snap, or when a monster will come and tear down the building. The human drama is done wonderfully as two factions start to form. And another thing is for half of the monsters, you only see their silhouettes or part of their body. It builds intrigue, makes you want to learn more about them and encourages you to ponder about the planet where they came from. The Mist is a masterfully crafted film, and it saddens me that the TV show went in a completely different direction as it could have built up on the lore that the novel and film created.

1. Godzilla (1954)

I'm a sucker for kaiju films, and Godzilla is a big reason why. When I first saw Cinemassacre's Godzillathon at the age of 10, I wanted to watch all the films and so I did. It's now my favorite films series of all time. Pretty much all of the movies have something charming about them, and a lot of them are just plain fun. The first film is a landmark title for the kaiju genre and forever changed cinema. Created by people who witnessed the horrors of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki firsthand, Godzilla is a metaphor for the atomic bomb as well as the fears and damage that it causes. This first film is dark and serious, with a focus on the damage that Godzilla leaves in his path, which is eerily similar to a nuclear bomb with radiation fallout, fire, and a whole city left crumbled and ruined. The characters are very good. The film does a great job of making you care about them and there is a lot of emotional weight throughout the runtime. Combine all of that with special effects that were impressive for their time and an effective soundtrack, and you have a masterpiece of a movie.

In terms of Godzilla himself, I've questioned what makes me and others drawn to him. It could be either his design, the cool radiation beam, how the character has evolved over the years, and/or the variety that his films offer when it comes to different tastes. Some films are straight up cheesy fun, some tell a really good story, some offer unique scenarios like Invasion of Astro Monster which has giant monsters fighting in space, and then there is Godzilla Final Wars which is just straight up Godzilla meets The Matrix. Either way, Godzilla has inspired me and to this day I'm still a massive fan with me owning all the films on physical media, as well as owning video games, posters, comics, figures, and all kinds of merchandise. I do think he is one of the reasons why I'm so passionate about movies in general, the charm and creativity has rubbed off on me and I'm constantly looking for more kaiju goodness.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
My Top 10 Movies (in no particular order)

10. Home Alone

Firstly whilst there are certainly some issues within the film, I still adored Home Alone as of today. Kevin McCallister is often considered the most unfortunate kid that lands himself in trouble somehow ended up being left alone as in the first film his parents forgot that he was still in his room, not knowing that they had already departed. What I really enjoyed mostly about the films is the fun aspects on several scenes especially the traps as well as the performances of the cast from Macaulay Culkin, Catherine O'Hara, Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern.

9. Emperor's New Groove

This is what I consider this to be one of the most underrated Disney animated films which had actually went through a long-winded development process that had seen a number of constant changes. I will say that the story contained a lot of fun moments that will bound to give anyone a laugh especially with the talented voiceover cast performances of David Spade, Patrick Warburton and the late Ertha Kitt.

8. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Having watched this recently on Disney+, I can understand why this is considered a fan favourite that won me over. Whilst its stunning stop motion animation is one that certainly deserves praise as well as its imaginative yet immerse plot, well-driven character plots as well as its memorable soundtrack.

7. Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark

I still highly regard Raiders of the Lost Ark as one of the best Indiana Jones films I had ever watched that had displayed a lot of well done action scenes that left me thoroughly entertained and mesmorising scenes that will leave me on the edge of my seat. It is like what the above poster stated that "everything works seemlessly."

6. Toy Story 1 & 2

I remembered when I first watched Toy Story 1 back in the cinemas as a young child, I was always amazed by the use of Pixar's 3D animation which was a rather uncommon take at the time. But it worked along with a captivating story that showed excellent development amongst the two main characters plus Tom Hanks and Tim Allen's strong and convincing performances. The second one is what I considered as my favourite Toy Story film that delves even deeper within the characters and at the same time produce a fun, entertaining and enjoyable film.

5. Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings

As a British-born Asian who had struggled to find anyone to relate to, it wasn't until after the success of Black Panther, Marvel Studios revealed their first-ever Asian based superhero named Shang-Chi as part of the Phase 4 projects. I not only enjoyed the performances of Simu Liu and Tony Leung, the martial arts choreography is one of the best I have seen within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. If I were a child who is still trying to find a role model, I would have every reason to be excited and to be inspired.

4. Pinocchio

I can't remember how many times I had watched and adored Walt Disney animated film's Pinocchio when I was young mainly due to its well-drawn animation and inspiring characters that were bulit with a lot of heart and humor especially from Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket.

3. Iron Man

This was the first film from Marvel Studios that got me in to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Robert Downey Jr certainly fits the role of Tony Stark and did very well to perform his character which is how he gained recognition. In addition to the strong cast performances, it also shared excellent character development in which we see the struggles Stark had to face when his weapons that he created turned against him.

2. Avengers

This is one of the most well constructed superhero team-ups I had ever watched. All of the characters had shared great moments within scenes as well as providing an excellent build-up throughout the well crafted story and action sequences that contained a lot of hype.

1. Spider-Mans 1 & 2

Spider-Man is always someone that I had always looked upon to when I was young especially the words "With great power, comes a great responsibility" something that I had kept upon throughout my life. Both films were well-written where it shared good amount of character development that illustrates Peter Parker's struggle to balance his own personal life with his responsibilities as a superhero. In addition, Tobey Maguire did a fantastic job with the role of Peter Parker.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
10. Kung Fu Penda
9. Jurassic Perk
8. Monty Python & The Holy Grail
7. ???
6. tie between Europa Report and WALL-E
5. ???
4. Ex Machina
3. Black Panther
2. Captain Marvel
1. Star War: Revenge of The Sith

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Being a casual movie-goer it's hard to come up with a list.

I can certainly say though that the Heisei Gamera Trilogy (1995-1999), Godzilla (1954), and Pinocchio (1940) would certainly be on my list for sure.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Not ordered whatsoever, but...
10. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
9. A Silent Voice
8. Zack Snyder's Justice League
7. Minority Report
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. The Nightmare Before Christmas
4. Scott Pilgrim vs The World
3. Earth To Echo
2. It's A Wonderful Life
1. Back To The Future

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Not ordered, aside from #1

10 The Dark Knight
9. The Emperor's New Groove
8. Zootopia
7. The Prince of Egypt
6. How To Train Your Dragon
5. Toy Story 2
4. Ratatouille
3. The Princess Bride
2. Singin' in the Rain
1. WALL-E

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Here are some of my favourite films, listed oldest to youngest

Godzilla (1954)
King Kong vs Godzilla
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla
Terror of MechaGodzilla
Jaws
Godzilla vs Biollante
Jurassic Park
Lion King
Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
Godzilla vs Destoroyah
Powerpuff Girls movie
SpongeBob Movie
Godzilla: Final Wars
Simpson’s Movie
Bolt
Iron Man
Avengers
Pacific Rim
Godzilla 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy
SpongeBob: Sponge out of water
Jurassic World
Regular Show: the Movie
Zootopia
Godzilla Resurgence
Kong: Skull Island
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
Black Panther
Avengers: Infinity War
Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
Avengers: Endgame
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Spider-Man: Far from Home
Godzilla vs Kong
Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby Doo meets Courage the Cowardly Dog
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3

This is just a small faction of the movies that are my favs (in timeline order). And there is more to come.
Update: Added Spiderverse
Update: Removed 2012 and added Zootopia, Scooby Doo meets Courage and Guardians vol 3

Last edited:
Top Bottom