• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Match-up Discussion #13: R.O.B.

sasook

Smash Champion
Green: R.O.B.'s physical range.

Red: R.O.B.'s UNCHARGED laser range.

Pink: R.O.B.'s FULLY CHARGED laser range.

Yellow: R.O.B's UNCHARGED gyro range.

Orange: R.O.B.'s FULLY CHARGED gyro range.

Blue: R.O.B.'s glide toss range.

You'll notice that this diagram is very messy.
This is because R.O.B. has a LOT OF FREAKING RANGE.

Basically, You'll have to avoid this at worst:

But its not really that bad, because R.O.B. has intervals between projectiles. Avoid one at a time it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Obviously, R.O.B.'s most advantageous point would be having Toon Link at a either mid- or long- distance range away in front of him. So you'll be wanting to stay close to R.O.B. most of the time. This won't be so easy, because R.O.B. will be trying to get you away from him. You'll probably have to be approaching in the match-up, so BE PATIENT. Don't rush into R.O.B. with no idea of what you're going to do. Stratagize. Make a plan for approaching that won't get you screwed over. Check to see if R.O.B. has his gyro charged (he will be blinking), laser charged (the top of his head will be blinking red for uncharged and pink for charged. If there is no light, R.O.B.'s laser still hasn't come back. You can also tell if he has a laser if he hasn't used one in the last 2 seconds). React appropriately to the situation.

~~~~~~~~~~

As for R.O.B.'s projectiles, he has a lot of options. Most of them are used to specifically cover his front (with the exception of a gyro throw up). During this match-up, you have to be looking at R.O.B. at ALL times. You need to know what hes doing. You need to know if hes charging a gyro. You need to know if hes shooting a laser. If you are aware of all his actions, it will save you a lot of hits.
On a side note, R.O.B.'s gyro can be dropped at the edge to interrupt your Up-B in an attempt to. to gimp you. Just don't let this happen. Recover before R.O.B. gets the chance be in the position to do this.

Gyro:

Out of all of R.O.B's projectiles, this is the one you'll be seeing the least. The uncharged gyro has a lot of start up lag and doesn't do much damage or knock back. It MIGHT be used for mind games, or just to get a gyro out there quickly so R.O.B. can use it. Another thing R.O.B.'s tend to do is to bait you in with a gyro, and then laser you when you get near it. They hope that you either are trying to pick it up or just happen to accidentally hit it. Whenever you see a gyro spinning on stage,you can either just leave it there, or pick it up. DON'T run into it. it can still hit you while its spinning. Short hop Nair to pick it up instead. You also might get hit when a gyro while R.O.B. is trying to charge it. To avoid this, just don't land in front of R.O.B. without doing anything while hes charging a gyro.

The charged gyro goes much further then an uncharged one. The damage and knock back is also increased by a lot. While it has less start up lag then the uncharged gyro, there is still a large amount of time for you to notice / react to the gyro. It makes a loud shooting noise when he launches it, so you'll know when to avoid it. The fully charged gyro might also be used to try to gimp your recovery if you're recovering from low and far away. The best solution to this would be to just DI well and not get into that position.

When R.O.B. glide tosses a gyro, it goes much further and he slides a considerable amount. This tactic is used primarily for spacing and to catch you off guard. The absolute easiest way to avoid falling for this is to just be cautious whenever R.O.B. is HOLDING (not charging) a gyro. Also, if R.O.B. shields, there is a 99% change he will glide toss afterwords. R.O.B. can glide toss in four directions. Up,Down, left, and right. You'll be seeing left and right a LOT more then up and down. Up might be used to hit you when you are a great distance above R.O.B. Down might be used to hit you during close quarter combat,followed by a move (probably Dsmash).

Uncharged lasers are what R.O.B. will be using against you most of the match. R.O.B.'s laser basically becomes usable about two seconds after he shoots one. It doesn't seem like much time to use to your advantage, but you're gonna have to. You should use this time to approach. watch out for gyros, and get in close. This move will also be used to try to kill you off the side when you get knocked back. When you get hit near the horizontal blast zones of a level, BE READY TO AIR DODGE. I can't stress this enough. Dodging this laser is crucial to saving you a stock.

More knock back then a regular laser. Slightly different trajectory and it seems to move a tad slower. This can also be used to gimp your recovery, so watch out.

Will post other stuff laterzzzz.
OMG.

Wow, this is really impressive. Link is discussing R.O.B. (or was recently, I think we switched to Diddy) too, you mind if I borrow this info?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Everyones gonna steal if from meh. ;_;

Lobos

Smash Master
I beat robs for breakfast!

Match is either even or 60:40 in TL's favor depending on how good you can avoid being out spammed and dsmashed. You can in fact double jump over everything that rob has and just throw bombs and make him approach you.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Yep yep yep finally someone says it. I think we have the advantage u forgot rob's awful blindspot that our bair takes advantage of. 60:40 TL.

Tiersr4Queers

Smash Apprentice
I beat robs for breakfast!

Match is either even or 60:40 in TL's favor depending on how good you can avoid being out spammed and dsmashed. You can in fact double jump over everything that rob has and just throw bombs and make him approach you.
:] then who do you beat for dinner?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Play better ROBs, guys.

The patient ones.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You're saying you have the advantage because you beat them.
I beat some great Marths, I don't go around saying TL has an advantage on him.

I'm not saying the R.O.B.s are bad, I'm saying if you play better R.O.B.s (that are closer or at your skill level), then it would be a different story.

Lobos

Smash Master
No, all robs have similar attack/defensive strategies. I'm saying TOONLINK has a slight advantage or its even. ROB is a big character which is great for TL to punish. IF you can get around and avoid ROB's attacks then it becomes TL's favor. The robs I played (jceasar, ninjalink, chibosempai, nacker, etc.) are all very good and at my skill level or better than me. I haven't played all the best robs yet like holy or os but I still stand by what I said. I've played some other campy robs too so I'm not just talking out of ***.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
I played Lio last week. It was a very close match. If played right TL can out camp a ROB trying to camp him (mid range, stay at DJ height, air dodge down). Arrows clank with gyro, only useful camping projectile for ROB here is the laser. Just camp in between lasers... That being said ROB has the advantage off stage. I wouldn't put this in ROB's favor though. It's probably even.

TL should CP a small stage where he can avoid all of ROBs projectiles with DJ. I think he has a strong advantage on Lylat Cruise when his side of the stage is slanted up. Granted ROB kind of has the same deal going on there.

Eveelution

Smash Rookie
We may just steal credit from you too xP
Basic gist of this matchup is that ROB has so much range you could build a city in his projectile range. Toon Link is small and fast enough to dodge a good bit of projectiles but luck is bound to run out. His floatiness also makes timing aerials different on the ROB's part. But still, in the air, ROB has the advantage. All of its aerials have insane priority, great range when spaced correctly, and just mess up Toon Link's "combos" ROB's recovery makes mindgaming or luck sacking into a Dair spike VERY difficult if not impossible. Plus its Nair makes it difficult to chase around in the air. So ROB dominates the air pretty much. You can still land a nice Bair combo since its a heavier character but if they see that killing Fair coming, chances are it won't hit. As for the ground it's a bit more fair, but not by a whole lot. We all know about spot dodge Dsmash and all of ROB's other forms of trickery, not to mention camping comes into play on the ground. ROB can always outcamp Toon Link and since TL's projectiles are slower, they can always be perfect shielded, but ROB's are faster and not to mention much easier to camp with so lazers and beyblades prove more effective than arrows, bombs, and rangs. Toon Link does have Zair which becomes almost essential in this matchup. If you're going to pull of a combo, chances are you're going to need a Zair to set up for it, plus the range of it helps prevent ROB from chasing after you in the air by using it as a punisher. TL's Dsmash doesn't come out as fast ad ROB's but it's still fast enough to be effective. First Fsmash slash will keep ROB in place if it hits so if you land it by chance, follow through man. Usmash is going to be a key kill move since Fair and Dair won't work very well. Uair still works but not as well as against most of the rest of the roster. A spin attack on the ground now and then as an OoS option is good to change things up, Shield grabbing a Dthrow is another good combo starter, be sure to space it right since one missed grab can mean trouble. Nair is still nice as ever since ROB is heavy and get set up for some damage as well as a sort of "Get back foo!" kind of move. Quickdrawing is always good to keep pressure on and bombs are definitely your friend since ROB is still decent sized so it's not a small target. It's actually an even matchup, but what ROB has over Toon Link can really hurt. Toon Link still has his pros in the matchup so exploit what works and watch your recovery less you become spike fodder.

Ew man, ROB is so fugly, just look at that fat base and stubby arms. ROB can't even walk since it's so fat, it has to float and kart around everywhere. That's why it used to move so slow back during NES times, fatty

MJG

Smash Hero
I find ROBs Laser Attack easy to run up on and Perfect Shield, then do a Nair OoS and i dont really have any trouble with ROBs but i also havent played any extremely good ones either

So im just gonna leave it at that

I will say that Lobos is right, a lot of ROBs do have similar game play when it comes down to this match up; anymatch up for that matter

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
Rob is one character TLs need to be full on aggressive with. You can't give the opponent time to attack. What I like to do is spam my bairs and arrow cancels, mixing it up a bit with some unexpected boomerang throws when spacing is changed.

As for killing, it's funny how surprised your opponent will be when you do a full hop dair after a short hop zair. Depends on the stage though.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
Like. Aggro TL seems to do really well here.

Always thought we had the advantage unless... that's wrong somewhere and somebody gave reason as to why that's wrong.

TrIkZ

Smash Cadet
Im sure we have the advantage, just use alot of arrow cancels and bairs.
60/40 TL

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
I find it tough to get around their f-air barrage offstage. But standing still and blocking the opening laser is fun. And they're juggled pretty easily

Top Bottom