• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
No, it's not.

You don't list mind games. Ever.
You don't realize that there are things players need to learn by themselves. You don't just put everything on a silver platter for people. No one advances that way.

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
Well, agree to disagree. Anything to advance the Toon community is fine by me, no matter how that 'anything' is being learned.

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
mindgames don't advance a metagame for a character too much unless you're sonic lol

Says the Diddy main lol. I'm gonna disagree with you too dude, something so relatively minor and trivial like a stutter step can be the deciding factor in a match, thusly advancing the meta game.

UncleSam

Smash Master
lol wrong I main TL, I tricked you and I said not too much not, not at all, plus stutter step isn't a mindgame, this is a mindgame: Flinch

UncleSam

Smash Master
from what I've learned, its an AT, It's used to lengthen moves and extend reach, heck, Pit mains use it for combos. a mindgame can lull your opponent into something you can set up that will cause damage/death to your opponent
i.e. luring your opponent offstage where you can stage spike him, how you do said mindgame can't be generalized to the point where it becomes integral

BKrkr said:
Yuh huh it is! :p
lol you sound like a kid right thar,
and as for diddy that reminds me...
EDIT: Flinch can be mindgamed into a smash, just throwin that out there, it's actually quite fun to do, it looks hilarious

Ashraf23

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone ever thrown a boomerang half way between the upwards angle and the straight throw? It was offline and my friend noticed it too.

It happened during a match once but I don't have the replay, I've been trying to find out how to do it.

Acrean

Smash Rookie
I'm just wondering if anybody knows about this. Rather than create a new topic for something that you guys probably all know about, and is a minor detail, I'll just state it here.

I was fooling around with TL in Training Mode, and I pulled out a bomb and threw it. Wondering what would happen if I pulled out a bomb and then tried to pull out another bomb, I used VB twice. TL threw the bomb obviously, but I noticed that he threw it further than he'd done when I just pressed A.

Again, sorry if this is already well known. I for one just discovered it, so I thought I'd share. :)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
That's called a smash throw. You can do it the same way you do a smash attack.

MJG

Smash Hero
Ok so..i was recently watching the Evo match with mikehaze and m2k and during the match, i noticed that mikehaze was able to punish MKs down smash with Marths down smash.

What im getting at is...could we possible punish MKs down smash with our down smash? Just wondering if it would be able to come out fast enough before MK could put his shield up.

I already know that we can grab MK after his down smash without being punished but i wanted to know if we had a better alternative.

I would test this out myself but im in texas at the moment.

.REMIX.

Smash Apprentice
Ok so..i was recently watching the Evo match with mikehaze and m2k and during the match, i noticed that mikehaze was able to punish MKs down smash with Marths down smash.

What im getting at is...could we possible punish MKs down smash with our down smash? Just wondering if it would be able to come out fast enough before MK could put his shield up.

I already know that we can grab MK after his down smash without being punished but i wanted to know if we had a better alternative.

I would test this out myself but im in texas at the moment.
Sorry but im guna have to say u cant punish it with our own D-Smash. i've tried it and they seem to shield it every time. just avoid being hit by it and grab them right after. thats my best suggestion. seems to work a lot anyways since they sometimes put their shield up right after.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Can Toon Link's Dsmash be DI'd out of to aviod the second slash?
yes... I think, but it's a bad idea because the first hit could push you all the way across the stage if you get past the second hit, gives us free kills
take both hits like a man

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Okay.
What are you supposed to do vs aggressive people/characters?
ie; They get too close & you can't really do anything to make them go away.

fezzmaster

Smash Cadet
yea i run like a little girl then turn and hit them in the face like a man. it works ever time-ish.

but is some one is alway in your face Dtilt them or Ftilt to get a little push so you can make some room.

UncleSam

Smash Master
yea i run like a little girl then turn and hit them in the face like a man. it works ever time-ish.

but is some one is alway in your face Dtilt them or Ftilt to get a little push so you can make some room.
too much lag in ftilt and dtilt
whenever somebody is in my face I utilt, it clashes with lots of moves
snakes Utilt
, is fast, and it can set up for bairs/nair/whatever

Kaffei

Smash Hero

Oh.. Ok. What about Jab series?
& What if you D-Tilt & they jump?

UncleSam

Smash Master
Oh.. Ok. What about Jab series?
& What if you D-Tilt & they jump?
jab canceling is fun,
jab>jab>crouch>Up-B <---can be DI'd out of but deals a good amount of damage
jab>jab>crouch>grab <---you have to do this fast because ppl can jump out
meatknite
those are a few
as for jumping over dtilt, uptilt...

Kaffei

Smash Hero
jab canceling is fun,
jab>jab>crouch>Up-B <---can be DI'd out of but deals a good amount of damage
jab>jab>crouch>grab <---you have to do this fast because ppl can jump out
meatknite
those are a few
as for jumping over dtilt, uptilt...

Wow, thanks man! :D

UncleSam

Smash Master
So about this Jab cancelling thing, all you do is crouch & lag is gone or something? Could explain it a bit?
you only really need to crouch for jab>grab because trying to do said combo without crouching would buffer another jab.
that's the only reason.
I've been screwing around with it a bit and holding shield during the second jab might be faster but I'm not sure, for now just crouch it'll keep you from buffering the third jab

Kaffei

Smash Hero
you only really need to crouch for jab>grab because trying to do said combo without crouching would buffer another jab.
that's the only reason.
I've been screwing around with it a bit and holding shield during the second jab might be faster but I'm not sure, for now just crouch it'll keep you from buffering the third jab
ok, thanks!

ChiKn

Smash Rookie
Whoopsie, made a separate thread for this question, didn't see this one >.<

Can someone please tell me how to utilize fast fall to speed up my game? I can't SHFFQD for the life of me, it always comes out as a bomb pull or a regular arrow without the fast fall. I can't even begin to grasp the speed it would take to do it reverse. (SH -> tapping down -> tapping opposite direction -> hitting B before ground) I mean, I can do the SHFFQD when I'm just standing in one place doing it over and over again, but if I try to add an aerial or try jumping to a direction I can never do it.

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice

Can someone please tell me how to utilize fast fall to speed up my game? I can't SHFFQD for the life of me, it always comes out as a bomb pull or a regular arrow without the fast fall. I can't even begin to grasp the speed it would take to do it reverse. (SH -> tapping down -> tapping opposite direction -> hitting B before ground) I mean, I can do the SHFFQD when I'm just standing in one place doing it over and over again, but if I try to add an aerial or try jumping to a direction I can never do it.
It's all about timing, doing it left/right is just exactly as how you SHFFQD in place, same goes for mixing it with an aerial. Practice son.

Take things one step at a time. First learn how to SH>FF consistently. Do that for a couple of minutes and then try to SH>FF>QD. Remember that after you fast fall, you have to let go of the Control Stick BEFORE you hit B, or else, the game will do a bomb pull. This is sort of hard, and will take a while to get used to. You can go to Training and put the game at 2/3 speed if you want. That's how I learned iZAC.

The key is just to make sure you hit down on the control stick at the peak of your jump, and also make sure that it is in a neutral position before you hit B.

fezzmaster

Smash Cadet
Hey I have a question, its been bugging me for a while that I can rack up damage and when I get hit I suck at momentum cancelling. What aerials should I use for Momentum Cancelling? Bair, Fair or Uair?
Bair i think because of its speed.

Practice the SHDA because that will help with timing then work do doing Aerials and landing in a QD, if you cant SHDA just press jump and B right after it like a heart beat behind and then mash
B till you hit land. do that for a while then learn the timing in that. the SHFFQD is cool and kinda useful but i dont use it to much so dont worry about it so much.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
Hey I have a question, its been bugging me for a while that I can rack up damage and when I get hit I suck at momentum cancelling. What aerials should I use for Momentum Cancelling? Bair, Fair or Uair?
You generally want to hit your C-stick the direction that you're getting hit in(whether it be left or right) while holding down + towards the stage. I find jumping really helps as well, though that might just be a me thing.

You might be surprised on the stuff TL can survive O_o

I say to tap the C-stick in that direction, because most of the time that'll be your Bair, though on occasions it'll be your Fair, but whatever you do don't Uair.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
You generally want to hit your C-stick the direction that you're getting hit in(whether it be left or right) while holding down + towards the stage. .
I thought you were meant to DI up into the corners not down, so you can rain bombs on them and there's better chance of recovery in general.

UncleSam

Smash Master
you need to DI towards the corner of the screen while using your fastest aerial (Bair), then you fastfall, then DJ and float back to the stage and do toon link things

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Hi, I have another question.

I heard that TL can chain grab by D-Throwing, then turning around, & grabbing & repeating, but it has to be from 0%, & you can't do it anymore at around 50%.

Can anyone give me some details/clarify this?

Top Bottom