• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link is not Wind Waker Link

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
WindWaker stage, 'nuff said.
There's a Twilight Princess stage too. Link is supposed to be every adult Link. Toon Link is supposed to be every cartoony Link.

My point is that characters are supposed to represent a franchise, not a single game (even if some characters only have one game).

Some of your reactions to this thread are hilarious. It's half the reason I'm keeping it alive.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
There's a Twilight Princess stage too. Link is supposed to be every adult Link. Toon Link is supposed to be every cartoony Link.

My point is that characters are supposed to represent a franchise, not a single game (even if some characters only have one game).

Some of your reactions to this thread are hilarious. It's half the reason I'm keeping it alive.
Yeah, everyone knows, but Wind Waker is still better than what you claimed it to be.

Igneous42

Smash Ace

I'd agree with that. But obviosuly Link is mostly based on TP Link and Toon Link is mostly based on TWW Link.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace

Wow, I nominate RedMage8BT for most stubborn of 2008.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Yes. But Wind Waker is and was far more memorable than Minish Cap and PH to the MASSES. And the stage is a throwback to Wind Waker. Purely, it is. So who do we all view the cartoon link to be in this game?

Wind Waker Link.

Also, Adult Link IS supposed to rep TP Link...not the others, if he was, he wouldnt have the gale boomerang, as the ohter adult links did not have it, same can be said for the clawshot, and the fact that he has barne's bombs as opposed to the other bombs.
Link reps his most recent game.​
/Thread.

Chaotic-Strike

Smash Cadet
Its wind waker link due to the stage,windwaker item,and his trophy (him in a crawfish outfit)

Oh and WW and PH are the same link.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Request for thread lock: this is as relevant as a discussion about cookies, and since we can't be having those...

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i thought link's appearance was a reference to the dungeon-exit warps from twilight princess, which happened to be gusts of wind if i remember correctly.

oh and minish cap is a meh zelda game. way, WAY, WAAAAY too short. wind waker is short, but still decent, and an awesome game. phantom hourglass i actually liked more than wind waker.

i have played and beaten every single zelda game... so...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
1. Twilight Princess
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Majora's Mask
4. Windwaker
5. Link to the Past
6. Link's Awakening
7. Phantom Hourglass
8. Oracle of Ages/Seasons
9. Legend of Zelda
10. Zelda II: Adventure of Link

^my two cents, since a lot of people seem to be saying what their favorite Zelda game is. Just thought I'd spark more argument to keep the thread alive. "ZOMG TP WAZNT DA BESTT!!!!!!"

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I didn't think people would take this thread so seriously.

Yes, I realize Wind Waker Link and Phantom Hourglass Link are the same Link.

You can't call him "Wind Waker Link" since he also appeared in Phantom Hourglass.
You can't call him "Cel-Shaded Link" because he's not technically cel-shaded.
You can't call him "Young Link" because that would imply that he's the same character as Link, when he's not
Therefore, Toon Link.

Spellman

Smash Ace
1. Twilight Princess
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Majora's Mask
4. Windwaker
5. Link to the Past
6. Link's Awakening
7. Phantom Hourglass
8. Oracle of Ages/Seasons
9. Legend of Zelda
10. Zelda II: Adventure of Link

^my two cents, since a lot of people seem to be saying what their favorite Zelda game is. Just thought I'd spark more argument to keep the thread alive. "ZOMG TP WAZNT DA BESTT!!!!!!"
Nice! I was beginning to think I was the only one on the planet with taste for Zelda like this. My list would look almost identical if I was rating which Zelda games are the best.

1. Twilight Princess
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Majora's Mask
4. Link to the Past
5. Link's Awakening
6. Oracle of Ages/Seasons
7. Wind Waker
8. Minish Cap
9. Phantom Hourglass
10. Legend of Zelda
11. Zelda II: Adventure of Link

It's just that I don't know a lot of people who like Majora's Mask very much, and call Twilight Princess the best at that, and that's why I find it so intriguing.

All Zelda games rank high on the charts for me (many of them score perfect 10's), but for some reason, I can't say the NES Zelda games have aged very well. I almost want to put Zelda II down ahead of Legend of Zelda because I do usually have more fun with it (mostly because it's so different and doesn't feel like a nerfed Zelda game), but I know it has it's share of design problems.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
I didn't think people would take this thread so seriously.

Yes, I realize Wind Waker Link and Phantom Hourglass Link are the same Link.

You can't call him "Wind Waker Link" since he also appeared in Phantom Hourglass.
You can't call him "Cel-Shaded Link" because he's not technically cel-shaded.
You can't call him "Young Link" because that would imply that he's the same character as Link, when he's not
Therefore, Toon Link.
imo, Because WWLink is the same link Phantom Hourglass, i prefer to call him Wind Waker link.

Toon link feels like a Y.link replacement for brawl(reinforced since i found out he can wall jump)

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Nice! I was beginning to think I was the only one on the planet with taste for Zelda like this. My list would look almost identical if I was rating which Zelda games are the best.

1. Twilight Princess
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Majora's Mask
4. Link to the Past
5. Link's Awakening
6. Oracle of Ages/Seasons
7. Wind Waker
8. Minish Cap
9. Phantom Hourglass
10. Legend of Zelda
11. Zelda II: Adventure of Link

It's just that I don't know a lot of people who like Majora's Mask very much, and call Twilight Princess the best at that, and that's why I find it so intriguing.

All Zelda games rank high on the charts for me (many of them score perfect 10's), but for some reason, I can't say the NES Zelda games have aged very well. I almost want to put Zelda II down ahead of Legend of Zelda because I do usually have more fun with it (mostly because it's so different and doesn't feel like a nerfed Zelda game), but I know it has it's share of design problems.
Yeah, I think I just like that format of game (OoT, MM, WW and TP) the best, but it really is amazing, looking at my own list, how consistent the franchise is, considering Oracle of Ages/Seasons were two of the most addicting games I've ever played. Legend of Zelda felt aged once I finally got to play it, and, I'll be honest, I hated Zelda II. I just didn't like it. The one Zelda games I haven't played, that I know of, besides those stupid CD-i games, are Minish Cap and Four Swords. But I'm actually replaying MM now- my roommate and I have a bet to see who can beat his entire game first (mine: MM, his: OoT), all heart pieces, masks, etc., everything. So far I think I'm winning, but it's close. In fact, why am I even typing this? I need to win that $10!!

*goes to play MM*

Spellman

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think I just like that format of game (OoT, MM, WW and TP) the best, but it really is amazing, looking at my own list, how consistent the franchise is, considering Oracle of Ages/Seasons were two of the most addicting games I've ever played. Legend of Zelda felt aged once I finally got to play it, and, I'll be honest, I hated Zelda II. I just didn't like it. The one Zelda games I haven't played, that I know of, besides those stupid CD-i games, are Minish Cap and Four Swords. But I'm actually replaying MM now- my roommate and I have a bet to see who can beat his entire game first (mine: MM, his: OoT), all heart pieces, masks, etc., everything. So far I think I'm winning, but it's close. In fact, why am I even typing this? I need to win that $10!!

*goes to play MM*
Due to an unfortunate turn of events, I no longer have my N64 games, but I am patiently waiting for Virtual Console releases of my favorite games, and Majora's Mask is at the top of my list. It's one of those games I will play through immediately, and not have sitting on my Wii Menu long until I get the urge to play it. I want it now. Give Skull Kid his comeuppance.

Minish Cap is pretty nice, good music, great classic gameplay, and in my opinion, the best application of Toon Link because of all unique equipment he collected. Of course, this made for great promotional art and wallpapers, like Link with the Mole Mits. Definitely a must-play, but it certainly could have been longer, and the side quests are new and kind of interesting, but you'll come to realize what you need to look for to get heart pieces doesn't drive you to want to get them all. Still good though, the villain is great, great homage to 2D Zeldas but all new graphics. I guess you could say it's kind of like the New Super Mario Bros. of classic Zelda games.

I dunno why I like Zelda II, it's just unique to have a level up system in it. Plus, the Sages in Ocarina of Time are named after the towns in this game (I.E. Saria, Nayru, Rauru, etc.) which is.. pretty neat. haha.

SolidSnake27

Smash Cadet
I also believe that Toon Link = WW Link.

However, I'm also one of those people who hates the name "Toon Link".

I never saw it suggested by anyone, but I would have much preferred "Hero of the Winds". I can even imagine the announcer saying it. But perhaps it's a little long...

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I also believe that Toon Link = WW Link.

However, I'm also one of those people who hates the name "Toon Link".

I never saw it suggested by anyone, but I would have much preferred "Hero of the Winds". I can even imagine the announcer saying it. But perhaps it's a little long...
Yeah, and Link could be the Hero of Time. And Fox the Hero of Lylat. Mario, the Hero of Mushroom Kingdom. Kirby, the Hero of Dreamland. Hell, Pokemon Trainer, the Hero of Kanto.

Point is: that name would suck. But hey, everyone's got his own opinion, right?

:034:

Smash Hero
Looks like Wind Waker Link.

Talks like Wind Waker Link.

Has the same attacks and exact same weaponry from Wind Waker.

HAS the Wind Waker.

Not Wind Waker Link.

Something does not add up.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
This board should be locked for stupidity. It is Wind waker link if you deny it you are REALLY stupid.
Exactly.

minish cap and four swords are in NO WAY RELATED TO WW LINK.
ITS AN ARTISTIC STYLE FOR ****S SAKE NOT THE SAME CHARACTER!

I swear find the youtube video showing all the trophies it gives a WW REFERENCE and ONLY a WW reference

Looks like Wind Waker Link.

Talks like Wind Waker Link.

Has the same attacks and exact same weaponry from Wind Waker.

HAS the Wind Waker.

Not Wind Waker Link.

Something does not add up.
So tell me do they refer to Link as TP Link?
r did they refer to Link in SSBM as OOT Link?
They call him Link because its an incarnation of Link and Toon because of the artistic representation.
Its WW link but it would be odd to call him that (not that it isn't odd for them to call him toon link)

Furthermore Young link is not an option since Link was never a child in TP nor cel shaded

Shuma

Smash Hero
I bet he will be called WW Link on the american version.

Also this thread makes me whant to punch a thunder.

Spellman

Smash Ace
While we're naming Link WW Link, I'd like to propose the following changes to other characters names.

SMB Mario
DK Donkey Kong
IC Ice Climbers
KI Pit
KD Dedede
SMB3 Bowser
P Olimar and Pikmin
SMB2 Peach

Nuvia

Smash Ace
You're all being incredibly moronic.

Just because Toon Link is WW Link doesn't mean he has to be CALLED WW Link. My god.

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
it's worth noting Toon Link has a "classic" link costume and all the colors from 4 swords as alt colors, plus a second Dark Link which is probably Dark Link from Zelda II.

But yes, Toon Link uses a lot of moves from WW, but I still believe it to be a full rep of Cel Shaded Link

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Look this is pointless!
Everybody knows toon link is windwaker link,
its because he appears in two games,
Wind waker and phantom hourglass.
You cant call him windwaker link because it wont include phantom hourglass,
Thus toon link is the given name.
Geesh

The Boogerman

Smash Cadet
That Link is just like the Adult Link in Brawl. Not canon and a mix of a few things.

But if you're going for the pro WW argument, his taunt involves the Wind Waker baton.

I think it should be DKC Donkey Kong.
Wrongo, DK Donkey Kong doesn't have Bongos.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I think it should be DKC Donkey Kong.
I was kind of being sarcastic so I didn't really put too much thought into it, but yeah, I think this DK most resembles his DKC persona (something which we haven't seen in years with all these weird new DK games and DK vs. Mario games) which I approve.

Top Bottom