• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link is not Wind Waker Link

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
No actually, I didnt hate WW Link for being what he was.

It was a new twist on a Zelda game, and I was happy with all of the new cartoonish looks everything was given (Bomb explosions ftw)

Im not the only one who feels this way, and if the point of that whole essay was to say "Nobody really liked him, they just wanted another Zelda game" then thats an untrue generalization.

Toon Link > Young Link by far, although one thing I do wish, is that Mask Link had been in, but not as a replacement for Toon Link.

Generalizations. Sigh...

And you know Miku et al, most of the time, I agree with you. Not this time however.
So I assume you'd rather have a roster with three Links, and while we're at it, Paper Mario (clone), Shadow/Cosmic Mario (clone), and Dark Samus (clone)? The roster could have been way more original, and this sort of response to Brawl is only asking for more cop-out characters in future installments, if that even happens.

BOTA

Smash Apprentice
but... wind waker was the first game where link looked that way. so wouldnt it be wind waker, all cause you dont like a game doesnt mean the character doesnt deserve to be from it. and either way, wind waker pwnd :D and also his like end taunt thing jahnt he pulls out the wind waker wand, i never played the other games, so i dont know if the wind waker is in them two but i think its bases off him. :p

Teevo

Smash Rookie
Like someone pointed out, this link has the wind baton as his taunt, it literally IS wind waker link.

But i get where your coming from, This link is probably a representation of the recent young versions as well...maybe.
I'll also point out that he has The Master Sword, which he only had in Wind Waker, unless by some unlikely chance it's actually the Phantom Blade... which... would mean he's still Wind Waker Link... heh...

And as for only liking Wind Waker because we were waiting for the next "Ocarina of Time"... I liked Wind Waker much more than Twilight Princess (Yeah that's right I said it!), of course then again I like Majora's Mask more than Ocarina of Time... go figure.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
but... wind waker was the first game where link looked that way. so wouldnt it be wind waker, all cause you dont like a game doesnt mean the character doesnt deserve to be from it. and either way, wind waker pwnd :D and also his like end taunt thing jahnt he pulls out the wind waker wand, i never played the other games, so i dont know if the wind waker is in them two but i think its bases off him. :p
Wow. Very coherent.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I don't like it: that's my opinion.
But I also don't like Kirby. I appreciate it for what it is; I don't have to like it.
But I also can't even appreciate WW because it is substandard in every way conceivable: that is fact.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm partial to the Zelda series, but I really despise Toon Link. He should have been an alternate costume, at best. Young Link should have never been in Melee (at the time, he was considered the same person as Link by everyone), and Toon Link is basically Young Link, or at least a reminder of that atrocity. And let's face it people, the only reason you like WW is because you were tired of waiting for the next OoT. You hated what they did to Link just as much as I did/do/will do, but forced yourself to like it because that was the best it was going to get (seems a lot like what is going on right now with brawl—if DC even has a long shot of happening, I don’t know why you people aren’t willing to create a large enough mob to actually try and make it happen). I ended up buying WW and upon playing thought it was okay. Until I discovered that the sailing/wind direction thing the least efficient method of transportation in existence, the Gorons and Zoras and Gerudos were replaced by stick-things (I liked the Rito, though, and Dragon Roost Island music), and when you need to collect the eight pieces of the triforce, one of them requires that you do a stupid cabana side quest and solve inane tile puzzles ad nauseum. Something like that should have been reserved for special items, not as a mandatory trial of pain. Tingle sucks, as well. The only other thing I enjoyed about the game was how awesomely the smoke was animated. Hell, the smoke should have been a character over Toon Link.

And as a response to the people who argue that Toon Link and Link are different people, I think that's a stupid argument to have him in brawl when there are plenty of better Zelda characters. Yes, supposedly there are multiple links throughout the history of the Zelda world, and Toon Link is not the same person as Link, but that doesn't change the fact that they are both blond-haired, green-garbed, sword-wielding elfoids. I know there are countless websites trying to place the Zelda games chronologically so as to determine exactly what relationship exists between links, but that's a load of bullshiit. Nintendo doesn't care nor think about that--they will create however many different reincarnations of basically the same character just to sell their games. And when you think about it, "The Legend of Zelda" implies that all of these games are just tales told recounting the epic efforts of some ancient, mythological hero who probably never existed the way the tales describe. It doesn't matter whether they are factually consistent with each other, as long as they somehow tell a story of how great the idealogical hero "Link" is. But the point is, they are all basically Link. So to you Toon Link fans, I say thanks a lot for screwing the Zelda representation over and giving us yet another Link. My sole consolation is that you only get another clone, and hopefully it will be below sea level tier. Thank you, Sakurai, for showing the fans how stupid they are (as well as not adding wolf link or masks link as a fifth rep).
I have to disagree with you. I'm not a Toon Link fanboy by any means, but I have to say that Toon Link and the "real" Link have sort of evolved into two separate identities through their own titles. "Toon" Link has been the main protagonist of games that have a different feel than the OoT, MM, and TP games. His games are simpler, usually more original in terms of total gameplay, and have a more comical, naive storyline. "Real" Link represents the aforementioned titles since the franchise's bout into 3D, and he is the more realistic, somber version. He's more about business, about really saving the world from danger, while Toon Link appeals more to the little ones. The fact that they've had their own games created at the same time and Toon Link has his own storyline that separates itself completely from "real" Link's rather redundant one (WW the old Hyrule was submerged, PH continues that same storyline, never played Minish Cap, however) makes them, in my mind, two separate identities completely. Think Mario and Paper Mario.

Still, in regards to SSBB, I've come to realize that "clones" are hated on too much. They may have movesets that LOOK the same, but the characters themselves play compeltely differently. Using Link then moving to Toon Link will, in fact, be difficult. Link is slower but has greater range and power. Toon Link is agile and better in aerial combat, but has less range and less power behind his attacks. The similar moves makes it easier to at least know what you're doing, thus shortening the learning curve, but "mastering" each character is still as difficult as using two completely different characters.

Now, remember this: SSB was made so that fans could pit their favorite Nintendo characters against one another. Thus, it is a fan-first game. Not only that, but it is a Japan fan first game. This explains why Wolf got in instead of Krystal (fan appeal over new moveset potential), Toon Link got in over Majora's Mask Link with changeable forms (Toon Link continues to have games, MM was a one-hit wonder), and Metroid and Donkey Kong didn't get their respective baddies, Ridley and K. Rool (if I'm not mistaken, DK and Metroid are more popular in NA than in Japan). Also, Toon Link represents a whole different wave of Zelda games, whereas Midna + Wolf Link continues the TP lineup, which already has 3 characters, since Ganondorf, Link, and Zelda are all modeled after their TP counterparts- hell, even Sheik's been TP-ized, and she wasn't even in the game!

My point is, whether you like him or not, Toon Link DOES in fact represent a whole 'nother Zelda franchise than "real" Link does. Each have their own line of games now, since it appears that Toon Link continues to get his own handheld games, and "real" Link is just waiting for his next heavily funded blockbuster game that comes out once or twice a decade (rumors of the next Wii Zelda game already being in production were in Game Informer last year, did those rumors hold true?). Toon Link =/= Link, and adding either MM Link or Midna + Wolf Link would cheat a very successful different part of the franchise- whether you like the games or not, they've sold. A lot. More than the Metroid Prime games, in fact. Toon Link deserved a spot, and he got it. Whether he should have kept Link's moveset or not is up for debate, but what we've got is what we've got.

Finally, against the "alternate costume" argument... No one really understands the concept of an alternate costume, it seems. The alternate costumes are just different colors painted on a character model- a very complex one at that. Look at the detail incorporated into each character: their hair moves when they jump, or hat, or even clothing. Their eyes clench when they get hit. Each and every move has a specific range that matches their exact model. If you add or subtract so much as a hat, everything will look different; that's why Wario's overalls model got a whole separate form. Not a new character, since his moves would have the same range and his model would match accordingly, but his biker helmet straps and jean jacket, etc., had to be accounted for. Overalls Wario has different specifics with his movement. BUT Toon Link is a completely different size than Link, and using him at Link's speed and weight wouldn't feel right anyway. Toon Link had to have his own character, and even if he shared a slot with Link, he would take up the same amount of data on the disc because he is, in fact, so much different. But since his moves were based off of Link's, this saved time for the game's makers and got it released sooner. Any complaints about that?

Sorry for the wall of text, but no one seems to look at character inclusions objectively. No matter who you personally want, there are a LOT of technicalities that go into making a character, plus a lot of business reasons why so-and-so gets in and so-and-so doesn't. As for characters like G&W, R.O.B., and even Ice Climbers and Pit, they're for both nostalgia and Sakurai's choice. Plus, their inclusion can produce more Nintendo exclusive games, thus bringing in more money for the company from home-brewed characters of the past- case in point, there's a Kid Icarus Wii game in development now.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
Wind Waker was worse than the N64 Zeldas, but I still like it a lot more than Twilight Princess . And I loved the game's graphics, my only problems with it are that it's too easy and that it needed a couple more dungeons.

The reaction to having a handful of clones in Brawl is really rather ridiculous. Almost every fighting game has a few clones, it's not that big a deal. Young Link has a rather different playstyle from Link in Melee, and Toon Link looks like he may be even more different. Mask Link would have been cool, but asking for him is effectively for four more characters. Come on. I'm glad Wolf Link isn't in.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So I assume you'd rather have a roster with three Links, and while we're at it, Paper Mario (clone), Shadow/Cosmic Mario (clone), and Dark Samus (clone)? The roster could have been way more original, and this sort of response to Brawl is only asking for more cop-out characters in future installments, if that even happens.
Paper Mario represents a whole different, and quite successful, franchise and couldn't even be a clone. He would have G&W type statistics as far as weight and such, and he'd have moves such as his hammer that are exclusive to his RPG-like game. He wouldn't have FLUDD, or the cape, or the Tornado attack... Completely different. I'm actually disappointed he wasn't in.

Shadow Mario would be a clone. Did someone really want him in? He doesn't represent anything, he was a side character in one of Mario's games, far as I know.

Dark Samus would be different- she's nothing like Samus in the games. She floats, she uses Phazon, not missiles or morph ball bombs, etc. She was also the main baddy in two Metroid games, and would fit in the game better than Ridley. But, like I posted before, Metroid wasn't as popular in Japan as NA, so Samus/ZSS is all that got in. ZSS represents the franchise better anyway, since she's technically been in every game lol.

Just remember, Smash Bros. is fan-first. It has become its own game in a sense due to the competitors and huge fans like ourselves that just want new, different movesets, but the original concept was just to pit popular Nintendo characters against one another, and that still holds true now. Other characters may have been more original, but the popular ones get in first. "Popular" can be debated, as every character has his or her lovers and haters, but Nintendo and Sakurai chose who got in and who didn't, and I think they would know who was popular amongst their fans above anyone else- they know exactly what sold and what didn't, and they fund games accordingly. With a game like this, it's IMPOSSIBLE to make every player to ever want the game happy, but they did the best they could without going overboard. I'm very, very content, something some more people should be.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
I have to disagree with you. I'm not a Toon Link fanboy by any means, but I have to say that Toon Link and the "real" Link have sort of evolved into two separate identities through their own titles. "Toon" Link has been the main protagonist of games that have a different feel than the OoT, MM, and TP games. His games are simpler, usually more original in terms of total gameplay, and have a more comical, naive storyline. "Real" Link represents the aforementioned titles since the franchise's bout into 3D, and he is the more realistic, somber version. He's more about business, about really saving the world from danger, while Toon Link appeals more to the little ones. The fact that they've had their own games created at the same time and Toon Link has his own storyline that separates itself completely from "real" Link's rather redundant one (WW the old Hyrule was submerged, PH continues that same storyline, never played Minish Cap, however) makes them, in my mind, two separate identities completely. Think Mario and Paper Mario.

Still, in regards to SSBB, I've come to realize that "clones" are hated on too much. They may have movesets that LOOK the same, but the characters themselves play compeltely differently. Using Link then moving to Toon Link will, in fact, be difficult. Link is slower but has greater range and power. Toon Link is agile and better in aerial combat, but has less range and less power behind his attacks. The similar moves makes it easier to at least know what you're doing, thus shortening the learning curve, but "mastering" each character is still as difficult as using two completely different characters.

Now, remember this: SSB was made so that fans could pit their favorite Nintendo characters against one another. Thus, it is a fan-first game. Not only that, but it is a Japan fan first game. This explains why Wolf got in instead of Krystal (fan appeal over new moveset potential), Toon Link got in over Majora's Mask Link with changeable forms (Toon Link continues to have games, MM was a one-hit wonder), and Metroid and Donkey Kong didn't get their respective baddies, Ridley and K. Rool (if I'm not mistaken, DK and Metroid are more popular in NA than in Japan). Also, Toon Link represents a whole different wave of Zelda games, whereas Midna + Wolf Link continues the TP lineup, which already has 3 characters, since Ganondorf, Link, and Zelda are all modeled after their TP counterparts- hell, even Sheik's been TP-ized, and she wasn't even in the game!

My point is, whether you like him or not, Toon Link DOES in fact represent a whole 'nother Zelda franchise than "real" Link does. Each have their own line of games now, since it appears that Toon Link continues to get his own handheld games, and "real" Link is just waiting for his next heavily funded blockbuster game that comes out once or twice a decade (rumors of the next Wii Zelda game already being in production were in Game Informer last year, did those rumors hold true?). Toon Link =/= Link, and adding either MM Link or Midna + Wolf Link would cheat a very successful different part of the franchise- whether you like the games or not, they've sold. A lot. More than the Metroid Prime games, in fact. Toon Link deserved a spot, and he got it. Whether he should have kept Link's moveset or not is up for debate, but what we've got is what we've got.

Finally, against the "alternate costume" argument... No one really understands the concept of an alternate costume, it seems. The alternate costumes are just different colors painted on a character model- a very complex one at that. Look at the detail incorporated into each character: their hair moves when they jump, or hat, or even clothing. Their eyes clench when they get hit. Each and every move has a specific range that matches their exact model. If you add or subtract so much as a hat, everything will look different; that's why Wario's overalls model got a whole separate form. Not a new character, since his moves would have the same range and his model would match accordingly, but his biker helmet straps and jean jacket, etc., had to be accounted for. Overalls Wario has different specifics with his movement. BUT Toon Link is a completely different size than Link, and using him at Link's speed and weight wouldn't feel right anyway. Toon Link had to have his own character, and even if he shared a slot with Link, he would take up the same amount of data on the disc because he is, in fact, so much different. But since his moves were based off of Link's, this saved time for the game's makers and got it released sooner. Any complaints about that?

Sorry for the wall of text, but no one seems to look at character inclusions objectively. No matter who you personally want, there are a LOT of technicalities that go into making a character, plus a lot of business reasons why so-and-so gets in and so-and-so doesn't. As for characters like G&W, R.O.B., and even Ice Climbers and Pit, they're for both nostalgia and Sakurai's choice. Plus, their inclusion can produce more Nintendo exclusive games, thus bringing in more money for the company from home-brewed characters of the past- case in point, there's a Kid Icarus Wii game in development now.
Mostly good points.
My few contradictions:
1) You don't seem to consider the possibility of a Zelda character other than Link, of which there are plenty. As much as I hate Tingle, I would have been fine with him because HE'S NOT LINK. He has his own franchise, he's been in a few Zelda games, and although he's a green-garbed elfoid, he doesn't have a sword. Skull Kid isn't completely dead, Vaati would have been tolerable if he were TP-ized, even Din/Nayru/(Farore) have been in more games than Toon Link, though they've only ever been personified in the Oracle games. Point is, we don't need Toon Link.
2) Toon Link could have just not been in. I'm being generous with the costume thing, though I agree that it would take too many changes to make Toon Link alt costume feel right. I realize that WW fans are many, so I put that in because they'd be stupid enough to believe it and think I'm not completely evil. Technically you're not a WW fanboy, so I have to congratulate you on being smartest than the average Toon Link fan (though I'm not sure if that's much of a compliment).
3) If WW Link represents the kiddy side of Zelda like Paper Mario does for the Mario franchise, they have no business being in a Teen-rated fighter game. I don't want three-year-olds cramping my game's style, and they don't want to see me beat the crap out of cartoon characters.
4) This isn't really a refutation, but is there really a Kid Icarus game coming out for the Wii? I thought that was all just rumors. I hope they prove to be true, because that was an okay game.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
All 3 "toon" games are completely badass.

and if you gonna call him ww link, might as well call the other one "tp link".

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
I loved Wind Waker. And, by the way, Phantom Hourglass was great. I loved the Temple of the Ocean king and the stealthyness. Actually, I'd often listened to my iPod during the Ocean King bits and play songs like Peter Gunn and the Pink Panther theme. It was especially fun when you got the ability to finish off the phantoms if you got the drop on them. Seriously, I felt like James Bond Link or something! I dunno about Minish Cap.

Regardless, toon link pwns. He's a great character for the game.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Mostly good points.
My few contradictions:
1) You don't seem to consider the possibility of a Zelda character other than Link, of which there are plenty. As much as I hate Tingle, I would have been fine with him because HE'S NOT LINK. He has his own franchise, he's been in a few Zelda games, and although he's a green-garbed elfoid, he doesn't have a sword. Skull Kid isn't completely dead, Vaati would have been tolerable if he were TP-ized, even Din/Nayru/(Farore) have been in more games than Toon Link, though they've only ever been personified in the Oracle games. Point is, we don't need Toon Link.
2) Toon Link could have just not been in. I'm being generous with the costume thing, though I agree that it would take too many changes to make Toon Link alt costume feel right. I realize that WW fans are many, so I put that in because they'd be stupid enough to believe it and think I'm not completely evil. Technically you're not a WW fanboy, so I have to congratulate you on being smartest than the average Toon Link fan (though I'm not sure if that's much of a compliment).
3) If WW Link represents the kiddy side of Zelda like Paper Mario does for the Mario franchise, they have no business being in a Teen-rated fighter game. I don't want three-year-olds cramping my game's style, and they don't want to see me beat the crap out of cartoon characters.
4) This isn't really a refutation, but is there really a Kid Icarus game coming out for the Wii? I thought that was all just rumors. I hope they prove to be true, because that was an okay game.
0) Thanks for actually reading all of that and forming an argument, proving you're intelligent as well lol but please don't generalize fans like that. I like him, but I'm not a "fan boy", I prefer "real" Link. But the fact that I like Sonic seems to get me a lot of hate from generalizations, so please don't do so towards WW Link fans, as they're probably reading this exact thread lol

1) I didn't really consider them, no, because Toon Link is the main protagonist of the "toon" games, which have sort of separated themselves from the main Zelda franchise now, and deserve a slot somewhere due to their popularity. But adding in, say, Tetra for a representative instead of Toon Link wouldn't make much sense at all. Toon Link would be the first and foremost character added to represent the "new" Zelda. Adding a different character that doesn't have anything to do with the new "toon" games would cheat the very successful games, and we'd have 4 main Zelda franchise characters, which, in my mind, would be more redundant than two different Links. I would prefer, as a Brawl competitor, to have an original looking moveset, but the fact that Toon Link is so much different from "real" Link in a way the Young Link wasn't before is good enough for me.

2) I think I sort of already addressed this in 1), but whatever. The new "toon" games are very successful, and have sold even more copies than, say, Metroid Prime and, I believe, Pikmin, so keeping a representative out wouldn't be fair. Again, you can argue that it's still Zelda, but many, many people see them as different faces of the franchise now, again, like Mario and Paper Mario.

3) I didn't mean he would get the little kids to play the game, I just used "kiddy" to describe his cartoon appearance. Besides, my 10 year old brother plays Gears of War. Many, many kids play games that are not "kiddy". Besides, neither Melee nor Brawl should have ever received a rating of T, it's ridiculous. But, that's my opinion, an opinion that I don't really care enough about to elaborate on.

4) Actually, it is just a heavy rumor. I read an interview with Iwata where he did one of those "I'm gonna really hint at the game but not talk about it yet" kind of things. It at least SOUNDS to me like one is in development. I haven't researched it too much, though, I never even played the game until it was available on Wii Shop. It's a good- but hard- game. Very aggravating.

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
Ahh. Now I see why they called him Toon Link instead of Wind Waker Link. I can't believe I never thought of something so simple.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
This reminds me of people saying Captain Falcon isn't THE Captain Falcon because apparently in the anime CF dies and a guy with a scarf takes on the look of CF, but with a scarf. Seriously, question answered, WW Link because T. Link has Wind Waker.

Sorry, Tingle sucks, there was a reason why he wasn't in Twilight Princess...

Anyway, I think we have all established that Toon Link is Wind Waker Link, and I don't see how anyone can see it otherwise.
Actually, a tiny throwback was in it. There was a guy dressed up exactly like Tingle in it who hosted that clawshot minigame.

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
WW Link and Phantom Hourglass Link are the same exact Links. The Minish Cap… let's just pretend that hever happened. I would've prefered if the character was called "Young Link." Either way, that's who I basically see him as.

Oh yeah, he's definately WW/PH Link because one of his victory stances is holding the pig— the one that become invincible and summon a massive swarm of fighter pigs on you after it takes a beating.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
WW Link and Phantom Hourglass Link are the same exact Links. The Minish Cap… let's just pretend that hever happened. I would've prefered if the character was called "Young Link." Either way, that's who I basically see him as.

Oh yeah, he's definately WW/PH Link because one of his victory stances is holding the pig— the one that become invincible and summon a massive swarm of fighter pigs on you after it takes a beating.
You mean the ones that replaced the chickens? Btw, what happened to the chickens?

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Well, if you like sailing around for ages and enjoy a game that's extremely easy, you'll like WW. See, I can do it, too :ohwell: Dude, what's the point in randomly putting down someone's tastes just because they said they didn't like WW? He was just making a point that Toon Link is all the Links with that style, and not just WW Link.

Note: I happen to love all the before mentioned Zeldas.
It can be extremely easy and a good game at the same time. The game had beautiful graphics, some of the best story-telling in Zelda, and the unique concept of riding through the winds was just awesome and pulled off smoothly. I could still pull out the game and just sail through the seas and be entertained because it's so beautiful.

The only Zelda aside from that, that has captured me, is Majora's Mask. Phantom Hourglass was a great concept and could've been a potential good game if it was actually used for its full potential, while basically ripping away what made Wind waker awesome in the first place. Minish Cap... Pretty graphics, but it lacks everything that could be epic.

The actual best Zelda game out there is Link to the Past. A lot of Zelda games are pretty mediocre for what they are.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You mean the ones that replaced the chickens? Btw, what happened to the chickens?
I <3 those pigs.. however, I did NOT like the few times they actually killed me :(

Gesi1223

Smash Apprentice
I'll also point out that he has The Master Sword, which he only had in Wind Waker, unless by some unlikely chance it's actually the Phantom Blade... which... would mean he's still Wind Waker Link... heh...

And as for only liking Wind Waker because we were waiting for the next "Ocarina of Time"... I liked Wind Waker much more than Twilight Princess (Yeah that's right I said it!), of course then again I like Majora's Mask more than Ocarina of Time... go figure.
TP wasn't all that great IMO. It was pretty much OOT with upgraded graphics in a way, plus it motion controls tacked on. I liked it, it's just not as good as WindWaker and the older ones.

Mikau et al said:
If WW Link represents the kiddy side of Zelda like Paper Mario does for the Mario franchise, they have no business being in a Teen-rated fighter game. I don't want three-year-olds cramping my game's style, and they don't want to see me beat the crap out of cartoon characters.
A.K.A:"I use video games to represent how cool I am to little kids"

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
TP wasn't all that great IMO. It was pretty much OOT with upgraded graphics in a way, plus it motion controls tacked on. I liked it, it's just not as good as WindWaker and the older ones.

A.K.A:"I use video games to represent how cool I am to little kids"
Agreed. And dont crap on Paper Mario. When I was a kid, I wasn good at it at all. Paper Mario does not try to appeal to kids. Like every kid I know that plays, avoided SPM for Galaxy, and thought SPM was wierd.

I thought SPM was great, as I do Wind Waker. Do you really think alot of kids knew how to beat WW without help? I dont.

Graphics do not = who they appeal to, or whos going to like them. Get this through your head people.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
I didn't really see minish cap as the same link design with phantom hourglass and Wind waker, actually I'm very sure it's not the same link at all.

toon link is the link from phantom hourglass and wind waker, so in a way, he is wind waker link, and truthfully, I don't see how it would matter,

Magical Samurai

Smash Cadet
I don't believe it really matters where he's from, I actually don't believe Toon Link has an origin. I personally feel that he is just the general form for the series. I don't think Nintendo intended him to be related to any game in particular, instead just Link.

-Magical Samurai

Niko90

Smash Cadet
Wind Waker was a fantastic game and I loved it's style of gameplay. I would've liked to seen moves involving the deku leaf, hammer, etc. just like the rest of ya. Nothing can beat OoT though.

But, why are some people so sour about new characters being added to the game? If you don't like Toon Link, then don't play as him! There's really no logic in senseless "He fails," "He shouldn't have been included in the game" "Rawr MOAR KRYSTAL" (:p) etc.

More content ftw IMO. There are a lot of characters that I don't favor in SSB, but they all offer a different opportunity whether they have a similar moveset as another character or not. The more characters the merrier.

My two cents.

Niko90

Smash Cadet
IMO, that game (The flash smash game) was an epic failure. Good effort tho, but...ugh....

I know the title is weird, but there's something I just wanted to say: I don't like Wind Waker, but I still like Toon Link. Why? Because he's also the Link that was in Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass, my favorite Zelda games. Sure, he has the Wind Waker, but then, why does Twilight Princess Link enter in a vortex of wind? Link is all normal Links, and Toon Link is all of the cartoony Links. That's why he's called Toon Link, and not "Wind Waker Link" or even "Cel-Shaded Link", besides the fact that those names would sound very awkward in-game.
This is one of the silliest things I've ever read. How can you try to make a logical argument about this?

AerionTOFAST4U

Smash Apprentice
I don't like Wind Waker, but I still like Toon Link. Why? Because he's also the Link that was in Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass, my favorite Zelda games

.......:mad: ...I respect your opinion...but..uh...WTF?????!!!! WIND WAKER OWNED!
1. Ocarina of time
2. Wind waker
3. Majoras mask
4. Link to the past
5. Twillight Princess

IMO

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
0) Thanks for actually reading all of that and forming an argument, proving you're intelligent as well lol but please don't generalize fans like that. I like him, but I'm not a "fan boy", I prefer "real" Link. But the fact that I like Sonic seems to get me a lot of hate from generalizations, so please don't do so towards WW Link fans, as they're probably reading this exact thread lol
Thanks for the respect. 'Tis mutual.
I guess I can live with your responses, even though it is my opinion that Zelda should have never been "kiddified" to begin with. And I wasn't calling you a WW fanboy--I said you were smarter than WW fanboys, though, again, I'm not sure how much credit that gives to you. I guess I wasn't very clear. Sorry about that. I guess I will say that you are not a WW fanboy and therefore not stupid. That seems to make more sense. And I don't really care about the WW flames. They're weak, like the game.

Potatohead=my punching bag,

Mikau

Top Bottom