• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link is not Wind Waker Link

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I know the title is weird, but there's something I just wanted to say: I don't like Wind Waker, but I still like Toon Link. Why? Because he's also the Link that was in Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass, my favorite Zelda games. Sure, he has the Wind Waker, but then, why does Twilight Princess Link enter in a vortex of wind? Link is all normal Links, and Toon Link is all of the cartoony Links. That's why he's called Toon Link, and not "Wind Waker Link" or even "Cel-Shaded Link", besides the fact that those names would sound very awkward in-game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
...Or he could have been called "Young Link" but who cares

It's still not a good idea to have him in the game

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Wind Waker > Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass. Unless you like unoriginality I suppose it's probable if you like Minish Cap and if you like mediocrity I suppose you'd like Phantom Hourglass.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
this is a very logical argument, and i do like wind waker link the most, i wish he had more of a move set according to his wind waker items.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Normal Link enters in a gust of wind as a homage to the original Zelda, where a flute item summoned a tornado to teleport you to another area, actually

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes, if you don't get Link's entrance...You don't get the Zelda series...

Old school reference FTW!!!

yogho

Smash Apprentice
Yes, if you don't get Link's entrance...You don't get the Zelda series...

Old school reference FTW!!!
I approve.

Also, yes ofcourse celshaded an d windwaker Link sounds awkward, thats why they made up the name Toon Link. Logic.

Now why we call Toon Link Windwaker Link is because he originated from that game. And it was the game you had to buy if you had a Game Cube. SO a lot of people instantly reconize him and say: "hey thats that Link from the Windwaker".

The minish cap is a complete different serie. It does not follow WW nor TP or OoT. They could use a different Link, but since WW was popular they used that design for Link for the huge market that where waiting for a sequal of the WW.

Phantom Hourglass is a sequel to WW. But now you dont call Link, PH Link. No, you still call him that guy from WW. amiright?

That said, Toon Link is Windwaker Link.

PS: what is this doin in here instead of the character discussion?

Eagle

Smash Lord
Maybe because Wind Waker Link sounds horrible. Also, Wind Waker Link IS Phantom Hourglass Link anyways.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Ah, sorry, I didn't quite get what you were saying. I thought you were implying that Twilight Princess Link used the Wind Waker or something. Don't mind me, it's like 3:30 AM here ^^;

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I know, that was my point... it's not from Twilight Princess.
Technically, it could be him riding in from the gust of the Gale Boomerang.

And people call him WW Link because his stage is from WW, he has the Wind Waker as one of his taunts, his trophy description describes the WW, his moves and animations are from the WW(Look at his bombs, that's not how they explode in MC), etc.
Toon Link is describing his style. You CAN say that it is the WW Link, just like you can say the "regular" Link is the TP Link.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Wind Waker > Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass. Unless you like unoriginality I suppose it's probable if you like Minish Cap and if you like mediocrity I suppose you'd like Phantom Hourglass.
Because TWW wasn't mediocre? Really it had 2 good things, a good plot and lots of side quests/big world to explore. But the core game didn't bring anything new or interesting to the series, it wasn't very long and what little there was is extremely easy. By far the easiest Zelda game there is.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Like someone pointed out, this link has the wind baton as his taunt, it literally IS wind waker link.

But i get where your coming from, This link is probably a representation of the recent young versions as well...maybe.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Well, if you like sailing around for ages and enjoy a game that's extremely easy, you'll like WW. See, I can do it, too :ohwell: Dude, what's the point in randomly putting down someone's tastes just because they said they didn't like WW? He was just making a point that Toon Link is all the Links with that style, and not just WW Link.

Note: I happen to love all the before mentioned Zeldas.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
You're title is misleading, not to mention incorrect. Just because he was in the Minish Cap and the like doesn't mean he's not Wind Waker Link, also.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
If only he didn't HAVE the Windwaker as a taunt/victory pose, or the ship from Windwaker, and to a lesser extent, the Windwaker music.

Next.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
It is windwaker link-but also the same link in minish cap and phantom hourglass, its because he appeared in many games that calling him wind waker link will be excluding all the other games he was in, its the same link in wind waker and phantom hourglass.
Can you imagine calling Link ocarina of time link, then having to change the name to Twilight princess link.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
He is referred to most of us as "Windwaker Link" because Windwaker was the first game to use this model of Link, that's all.

And for the record, I really, really don't like "Toon Link"

Young Link would be fine.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
He is referred to most of us as "Windwaker Link" because Windwaker was the first game to use this model of Link, that's all.

Except the Link from Wind Waker isn't the the younger version of Link from Twilight Princess. In fact, Nintendo seems to surport the split timeline theory with Twilight Princess being parallel to Wind Waker. Most people don't even call the Link from Wind Waker "Young Link," they call him "Cel-Shaded Link." Just like "The Pikmin & Captain Olimar" on the Brawl poll or "Satoshi" on the Melee poll, Nintendo merely used less weildy names for "Toon Link" and "Pikmin & Olimar" while they used a more generic one for "Pokemon Trainer"

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Technically, it could be him riding in from the gust of the Gale Boomerang.
Because that's entirely how it worked...

Anyway, the easy answer as to why people say WW Link is because that's his most famous game. Plus, the cell-shade graphics and stuff for the Zelda series were pioneered in WW.

Mobbin

Smash Apprentice

He's more like a Young Link for me, too... sadly.
I liked the idea of Toon Link when I saw the first screens on Dec 30, you know, having the Deku Leaf and such cool stuff... Not to mention his FS...

Toon Link hat much potential, imo. Nintendo was just too lazy to put more effort into him :chuckle:

greetz

Finch

Smash Lord
He is Wind Waker Link. The Link in Phantom Hourglass is also Wind Waker Link because Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel to Wind Waker. Just because he is called Toon Link in the game does not mean he can't be called by other names, Wind Waker Link for example.

Also TP had no young Link, and if there is a sequel to TP we will probably call that Link TP Link again as he is different from OoT Link.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
If there were no Wind Waker, Toon Link would not be in Brawl. Minish and Phantom are not nearly big enough games to dictate a character representative in Brawl. If Toon Link was put in because of those games, his taunts would be to shrink (stupid) or to turn over an hourglass (stupid). He has the Wind Waker taunt for a reason.

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
Yeah he is. Hes a combination of Young Link, Minish Cap, Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and Four Swords.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
...Or he could have been called "Young Link" but who cares

It's still not a good idea to have him in the game
It's fine that he's there but the least they could have done is at least tried to make him more original. Seriously, why did they not think of giving him items like the Deku Leaf, Skull Hammer, Mole Claws, and Gust Jar? Like with several other characters, there was a lot of squandered potential. At least the Wind Waker stage is cool though.

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
It's not Minish Cap Link because he has nothing from Minish Cap, not even the ****ing Minish Cap.

That leaves Windwaker Link, who is also PH Link.

So yes, he's WW Link.

Zek

Smash Ace
Wind Waker was the first game to feature Link in his Toon style. That's why people called him WW Link.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
if you dont linke windwaker you deserve to die and aint a zelda fan :p

Phanton hourglass is just as good as windwaker though.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I don't quite know how you can say he's NOT Wind Waker Link. He uses the Master Sword, which I only think cel shaded Link used in Wind Waker, not the Four Sword or Phantom Sword. He also has the Wind Waker itself in both a taunt and a win pose. In addition to that, his stage appeared in Wind Waker first.

Hoboman725

Smash Journeyman
wind waker > most zeldas

I don't know what people are so worked up about, toon link is a great character, I'm hoping for another console game with him.

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
I don't quite know how you can say he's NOT Wind Waker Link. He uses the Master Sword, which I only think cel shaded Link used in Wind Waker, not the Four Sword or Phantom Sword. He also has the Wind Waker itself in both a taunt and a win pose. In addition to that, his stage appeared in Wind Waker first.
All factors point to this guy being WW Link. All his stuff is from Wind Waker- his moves, his style, his taunts, his victory poses, his stage- EVERYTHING. Well, not so much his moves as his equipment (even then, does WW even HAVE the Hookshot? I remember the Grappling Hook, but the Hookshot wasn't in that game. So why does WW Link have it?). And as Kittah said, WW Link is the ONLY 'Toon' Link to wield the Master Sword.

Top Bottom