• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link is not Wind Waker Link

Kittah4

Smash Ace
All factors point to this guy being WW Link. All his stuff is from Wind Waker- his moves, his style, his taunts, his victory poses, his stage- EVERYTHING. Well, not so much his moves as his equipment (even then, does WW even HAVE the Hookshot? I remember the Grappling Hook, but the Hookshot wasn't in that game. So why does WW Link have it?). And as Kittah said, WW Link is the ONLY 'Toon' Link to wield the Master Sword.
Actually the hookshot was in Wind Waker, I'm almost 100% sure. It just was semi-redundant. Thankfully(?) it did not appear in PH, it left all those functions to the grapple hook. Still, a shame WW Link didnt use the Grapple Hook, or the Cyclone Slash, or a Deku Leaf, or the Skull Hammer, or etc.

imabeast78

Smash Apprentice
I sure do hope he is wind waker ........ why u ask ? So my made up name for toon link will stay true. I dub the WILLY WACKER. WW FTW Enough said.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I still love the OP's reasoning for it not being Wind Waker Link. Which is basically "I don't like Wind Waker so it's not the Link from Wind Waker!"

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
Actually the hookshot was in Wind Waker, I'm almost 100% sure. It just was semi-redundant. Thankfully(?) it did not appear in PH, it left all those functions to the grapple hook. Still, a shame WW Link didnt use the Grapple Hook, or the Cyclone Slash, or a Deku Leaf, or the Skull Hammer, or etc.
Doesn't he use a variation of the cyclone slash when he charges his spin attack? And you're right, Hookshot WAS in WW. It's been a while, so I forgot. And I really wish Toon Link had a slightly more original moveset... Grappling Hook as a replacement for Hookshot would be nice.

I still love the OP's reasoning for it not being Wind Waker Link. Which is basically "I don't like Wind Waker so it's not the Link from Wind Waker!"
I also like how he claims that Link's not TP Link as part of his reasoning.
Sakurai said:
"The hero of The Legend of Zelda series.
The design of this particular Link comes from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. "
Who wants to bet that when Toon Link gets revealed on the DOJO, Wind Waker will be quoted as the source?

Staco

Smash Champion
stage is out of wind waker, so he is mostly ww link ;)
but he is al link, because link = link ^^

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
that makes a good point.
I forgot he was in GBA and DS ports with the same look.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Does Link ever use the Wind Waker in Phantom Hourglass or the other game? I've never played either, but I do know that Toon Link's taunt, one of them at least, is to use the Wind Waker and play a song. So if that instrument isn't a part of the other two games, I don't think you can say it isn't WW Link.

D

Deleted member

I know the title is weird, but there's something I just wanted to say: I don't like Wind Waker, but I still like Toon Link. Why? Because he's also the Link that was in Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass, my favorite Zelda games. Sure, he has the Wind Waker, but then, why does Twilight Princess Link enter in a vortex of wind? Link is all normal Links, and Toon Link is all of the cartoony Links. That's why he's called Toon Link, and not "Wind Waker Link" or even "Cel-Shaded Link", besides the fact that those names would sound very awkward in-game.
No, this is the Link from Wind Waker. He uses the Wind Waker as a taunt, and in his victory animation he chases the pig from Wind Waker.

His level has the boat and sailing from Wind Waker.

The only reason they may have called him Toon Link is because it's short, that's all.

Also, we don't know what his name in the US version will be.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Toon Link IS Windwaker Link

You can agrue all you want about it being the Link from Phantom Hourglass or Minish Cap, but that sure does look like the King of Red Lions from Windwaker in Toon Link's stage. I don't see Linebeck anywhere and Minish Cap didn't have sailing.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Oh another thing. Saying that not naming him Windwaker Link is evidence doesn't prove a thing. Regular Link isn't name Twilight Princess Link. The fact is that despite the name, there is no evidence at all that Toon Link is any other Link where there is plenty of evidence that he is WW Link.

Anyways this whole deal will be settled when the Brawl blog posts Toon Link's profile. I am almost confident Sakurai will reference Wind Waker, and Wind Waker alone, as his game.

UncleGrandfather

Smash Cadet
Toon Link IS Windwaker Link

You can agrue all you want about it being the Link from Phantom Hourglass or Minish Cap, but that sure does look like the King of Red Lions from Windwaker in Toon Link's stage. I don't see Linebeck anywhere and Minish Cap didn't have sailing.
ShortFuse is awesome. I agree with everything he says.
I hope that when the game comes out in the US they change the name from Toon Link to Wind Waker Link and everyone shoves it in your face. Haha, it was Wind Waker Link the whole time.

I still don't like him either way.

webrunner

Smash Apprentice
Phantom Hourglass Link and Wind Waker Link are the same Link, anyway. Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel- I don't see how being one or the other make a difference other than saying that in Phantom Hourglass he's slightly older.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
They didn't call him Y.Link because they wanted to count him as a Newcomer.

Darkurai

Smash Master
If he's not Wind Waker Link, then why does he have the Wind Waker?

hectichobo

Smash Ace
According To The Zelda Timeline Theory.
Orcarina of Time Link and TP Link Are The Same Link
WW Link and Phantom Hour Glass Link Are The Same Link
And The Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures Link Have Nothing To Do With With The Real Games and are "spinoffs"

So TP Link Is The Same Link As Before
Toon Link IS Windwaker Link and Phantom Hourglass Link

Gesi1223

Smash Apprentice
Wind Waker > Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass. Unless you like unoriginality I suppose it's probable if you like Minish Cap and if you like mediocrity I suppose you'd like Phantom Hourglass.
While it's your opinion, I think it's a pretty idiotic opinion.

How was Phantom Hourglass 'mediocrity'?

I agree Windwaker was great though.

Sakurai said:
Right. The development for Smash Bros. Melee began soon after the GameCube was released and we had to design each character from scratch. This time, however, we were able to borrow characters from various development teams, which was a big help. Take The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess from the Zelda series for example. We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles.

Wilco

Smash Rookie
I know the title is weird, but there's something I just wanted to say: I don't like Wind Waker, but I still like Toon Link. Why? Because he's also the Link that was in Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass, my favorite Zelda games. Sure, he has the Wind Waker, but then, why does Twilight Princess Link enter in a vortex of wind? Link is all normal Links, and Toon Link is all of the cartoony Links. That's why he's called Toon Link, and not "Wind Waker Link" or even "Cel-Shaded Link", besides the fact that those names would sound very awkward in-game.
You should just name this thread, "I don't like Wind Waker".

Best101

Smash Ace
Except the Link from Wind Waker isn't the the younger version of Link from Twilight Princess. In fact, Nintendo seems to surport the split timeline theory with Twilight Princess being parallel to Wind Waker. Most people don't even call the Link from Wind Waker "Young Link," they call him "Cel-Shaded Link." Just like "The Pikmin & Captain Olimar" on the Brawl poll or "Satoshi" on the Melee poll, Nintendo merely used less weildy names for "Toon Link" and "Pikmin & Olimar" while they used a more generic one for "Pokemon Trainer"
Everyone I know in real life call him Y.Link (mostly this one) or Wind Waker Link. I only hear "cel-shaded" on these boards

Kira.

Smash Rookie
No ones really sure if all the games are tied together but there are a bunch of theories. There are obviously several different links throughout the zelda franchise. OoT link is thought to be the most re-occurring link and is thought to be the link from zelda, zelda 2, and majora's mask. He also might be the link from minish cap and link's awakening. The link from a link to the past is said to be a decedent of link (probably OoT link). TP link is thought to be a completely different link that is most likely in the universe with the destroyed hyrule castle that OoT link left behind. Thousands of years later in that universe is where WW and PH link comes in and he also is a different link. Its all very confusing but somehow they all semi make sense if you assume there are like 4-5 different links. One thing for sure though, WW PH and Toon link are all the same link. :chuckle:

kai123

Smash Cadet
No ones really sure if all the games are tied together but there are a bunch of theories. There are obviously several different links throughout the zelda franchise. OoT link is thought to be the most re-occurring link and is thought to be the link from zelda, zelda 2, and majora's mask. He also might be the link from minish cap and link's awakening. The link from a link to the past is said to be a decedent of link (probably OoT link). TP link is thought to be a completely different link that is most likely in the universe with the destroyed hyrule castle that OoT link left behind. Thousands of years later in that universe is where WW and PH link comes in and he also is a different link. Its all very confusing but somehow they all semi make sense if you assume there are like 4-5 different links. One thing for sure though, WW PH and Toon link are all the same link. :chuckle:

OoT caused a split in the Zelda timeline.

When Zelda sent Link back to the past to relive his childhood 2 timelines were created.

Timeline1: The future, where there is an adult Zelda a vanquished Ganon, and no OoT Link.In this timelines future Ganondorf returns, but there is no Link to save the people of Hyrule. this is the timeline where in the far future the Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass happen.

Timeline2: The past, where Young Link got to relive his childhood, not long after he returned to be a child he went on a quest to find Navi, wich caused him to stumble on the Skull Kid with the Majoras Mask. in this timelines future, Twilight Princess happens.

Best101

Smash Ace

When Zelda sent Link back to the past to relive his childhood 2 timelines were created.

Timeline1: The future, where there is an adult Zelda a vanquished Ganon, and no OoT Link.In this timelines future Ganondorf returns, but there is no Link to save the people of Hyrule. this is the timeline where in the far future the Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass happen.

Timeline2: The past, where Young Link got to relive his childhood, not long after he returned to be a child he went on a quest to find Navi, wich caused him to stumble on the Skull Kid with the Majoras Mask. in this timelines future, Twilight Princess happens.
That sounds really logical

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord

No. You have it backwards. Wind Waker references the "Hero of Time" who didn't come back, and thus, the Goddesses flood Hyrule. Also notice the sages in the castle. This is the timeline that followed Link vanquising Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time in the future.

In Twilight Princess we see the sages (which are the ones Ganondorf eliminated in the other timeline in OoT, which meant Link had to awaken new ones) trying to seal Ganondorf without the aid of a Hero of Time, thus, that's the timeline to which Link was returned, and where he travels to Termina.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
yeah I think he's ment to be WW Link he has the stage and even the baton thing too. either way its sweet he's in the game! I love Wind waker it was an amazing game and in some ways better then TP. i mean if u say it sucked be cuz it looked childish ur dumb cuz the finishing blow to ganon was definitley not childish haha. I like TP and Wind waker equally. TP might have been a bit more epic but WW was a bit of a larger game if u ask me.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Same difference. They're all the same Link (as far as Nintendo cares). Toon Link = ****ty WW Link=****ty handheld Link=we don't need more fuccking Links in Brawl. Find a more original character to defend, cuz Toon Link should have been nothing more than an alternate costume.

kai123

Smash Cadet
No. You have it backwards. Wind Waker references the "Hero of Time" who didn't come back, and thus, the Goddesses flood Hyrule. Also notice the sages in the castle. This is the timeline that followed Link vanquising Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time in the future.

In Twilight Princess we see the sages (which are the ones Ganondorf eliminated in the other timeline in OoT, which meant Link had to awaken new ones) trying to seal Ganondorf without the aid of a Hero of Time, thus, that's the timeline to which Link was returned, and where he travels to Termina.
Isnt that exactly what I said?

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
A) This belongs in the Toon Link forum at best.

B) Wind Waker was a fun game.

C) Yes, Toon Link is WW Link. Ever try listening to the sounds he makes, too? Definitely from WW. Also, WW Link is the exact same Link in Phantom Hourglass.

In short...what the heck? What is the point of this thread?

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
According To The Zelda Timeline Theory.
Orcarina of Time Link and TP Link Are The Same Link
WW Link and Phantom Hour Glass Link Are The Same Link
And The Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures Link Have Nothing To Do With With The Real Games and are "spinoffs"

So TP Link Is The Same Link As Before
Toon Link IS Windwaker Link and Phantom Hourglass Link
The only thing you got right in that ENTIRE post is WW Link = PH Link.

Does TP Link look over 100 years old to you? Because that's how much time has passed between OoT and TP.

And Minish Cap is the FIRST Zelda in the series (chronologically) it established the origin behind all of the things seen in later Zeldas.

FSA had Ganon using Vaati as a tool, I don't see how it's a spin off.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
i think he might be called Wind Waker Link in the English version though. Apparently he was called that in a Nintendo Magazine over here, who must have had an English version.

I'm not sure though, I'm just stating what I heard.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wind Waker > Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass. Unless you like unoriginality I suppose it's probable if you like Minish Cap and if you like mediocrity I suppose you'd like Phantom Hourglass.
I agree truly, except with a less cruel attitude.

Wind Waker was by far the most ground-breaking and the only one to do cel-shading.

It was also a very, very well done game, although a bit easy, that I loved very dearly.

THIS is why I call him Wind Waker Link, because that is the game that makes me love this form of Link. And yes, I know well why he was called Toon Link and not Wind Waker Link.

I dunno why you dont like Wind Waker, it just doesnt click with me, how could you hate it??

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, figured I'd quote something I typed up a while ago...this thread needs it.

I'm partial to the Zelda series, but I really despise Toon Link. He should have been an alternate costume, at best. Young Link should have never been in Melee (at the time, he was considered the same person as Link by everyone), and Toon Link is basically Young Link, or at least a reminder of that atrocity. And let's face it people, the only reason you like WW is because you were tired of waiting for the next OoT. You hated what they did to Link just as much as I did/do/will do, but forced yourself to like it because that was the best it was going to get (seems a lot like what is going on right now with brawl—if DC even has a long shot of happening, I don’t know why you people aren’t willing to create a large enough mob to actually try and make it happen). I ended up buying WW and upon playing thought it was okay. Until I discovered that the sailing/wind direction thing the least efficient method of transportation in existence, the Gorons and Zoras and Gerudos were replaced by stick-things (I liked the Rito, though, and Dragon Roost Island music), and when you need to collect the eight pieces of the triforce, one of them requires that you do a stupid cabana side quest and solve inane tile puzzles ad nauseum. Something like that should have been reserved for special items, not as a mandatory trial of pain. Tingle sucks, as well. The only other thing I enjoyed about the game was how awesomely the smoke was animated. Hell, the smoke should have been a character over Toon Link.

And as a response to the people who argue that Toon Link and Link are different people, I think that's a stupid argument to have him in brawl when there are plenty of better Zelda characters. Yes, supposedly there are multiple links throughout the history of the Zelda world, and Toon Link is not the same person as Link, but that doesn't change the fact that they are both blond-haired, green-garbed, sword-wielding elfoids. I know there are countless websites trying to place the Zelda games chronologically so as to determine exactly what relationship exists between links, but that's a load of bullshiit. Nintendo doesn't care nor think about that--they will create however many different reincarnations of basically the same character just to sell their games. And when you think about it, "The Legend of Zelda" implies that all of these games are just tales told recounting the epic efforts of some ancient, mythological hero who probably never existed the way the tales describe. It doesn't matter whether they are factually consistent with each other, as long as they somehow tell a story of how great the idealogical hero "Link" is. But the point is, they are all basically Link. So to you Toon Link fans, I say thanks a lot for screwing the Zelda representation over and giving us yet another Link. My sole consolation is that you only get another clone, and hopefully it will be below sea level tier. Thank you, Sakurai, for showing the fans how stupid they are (as well as not adding wolf link or masks link as a fifth rep).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
No actually, I didnt hate WW Link for being what he was.

It was a new twist on a Zelda game, and I was happy with all of the new cartoonish looks everything was given (Bomb explosions ftw)

Im not the only one who feels this way, and if the point of that whole essay was to say "Nobody really liked him, they just wanted another Zelda game" then thats an untrue generalization.

Toon Link > Young Link by far, although one thing I do wish, is that Mask Link had been in, but not as a replacement for Toon Link.

Generalizations. Sigh...

And you know Miku et al, most of the time, I agree with you. Not this time however.

Top Bottom