• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Inquiry Thread (Ask a question, get an answer)

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
I had a little bit of difficulty at first, and I was punished badly for it. End up hopping and not firing any arrows. :laugh:

I eventually overcame that hurdle though, by watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcODP-_bhrI) over and over again until the timing was ingrained into my head. Went into the practice room, spent about half an hour, and eventually I managed to string three SHDAs in a row. Then I went into fits of joy, but that isn't necessary if you don't want to. ;)

After that, the timing for all TL's quickdraw techniques are near enough the same. With bomb pull -> QD you need to be a bit quicker. Sometimes you can be too quick, and you'll press B during TL's jump lag. If you think that's happening, try hitting B a bit later, and B again just as TL lands.

It'll come with practice. Also, I use the L trigger for jumping. It's a bit awkward with Y / X.
That's the thing, i can do a SH bomb pull/throw and then a quickdraw arrow, or a SH bair/nair/fair then arrow, but i just cant do the shda. But i guess youre right, practice makes perfect. Thanks : )

K 2

Smash Lord
Ok i've got a question... How the hell do you do a SHDA? I just cant do it, maybe my fingers arent fast enough? I mean, if i use both hands like one finger on the specials button and one on the jump button i can do it everytime but that just feels awkward >_>

To those of you who CAN do it, just how do you do it? Customized controller scheme or..?
I would set R or L to jump. It makes it easier to jump and then instantly fire off two arrows. I've done it with the default control scheme (jump with x or y), but my fingers felt weird like that...

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Then stop because it gives you no distance at all. You should be JC throwing instead.
Hmm, I might be confused on the name, but I know for SURE I get distance. Like, if I;m running away from my opponent, I can turn around with it. It gives kind of a dashing boost. It could be the JC throw.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
A few questions:

What stages do Toon Links like?
and what stages do Toon Links dislike?

Do the Toon Link boards have a stage/counterpick disccussion thread?

How would you go about counterpicking against Peach?
(More indepth answers preferably here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=194857)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I like Smashville and hate rainbow cruise (=_=).
But if you mean what stages he does good on, then he does well on Rainbow road and bad on plain stages like Smashville I suppose.

Not to my knowledge. But theres an outdated one in one of the stickies.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I like Smashville and hate rainbow road. =)
But if you mean what stages he does good on, then he does well on Rainbow road and bad on plain stages like Smashville I suppose.

Not to my knowledge. But theres an outdated one in one of the stickies.
Isn't the stage called Rainbow Cruise? I understand your hate for Rainbow Road though. =/

Fav. stage: Battlefield:
Least fav. Stage: Pokemon Stadium I

Of course I'm only talking in the realm of neutrals. Otherwise it'll probably go:

Fav.: Battlefield
Least fav: 75m/Rumble Falls/Spear Pillar/Pokemon Stadium II/Mario Kart/WarioWare Inc./Green Greens/F-Zero Aero Drive/Sasuke's Sharingan

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Ohhh wow.
I'll get off the drugs someday. -_-

lol Sasuke's Sharingan.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I like every stage besides Super Mario Bros./75mm

In the neutral stages, we do well on places with little to no platforms. So Battlefield could change our gameplay greatly while Smashville doesn't do much of anything (which is my favorite stage tbh)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I got a question? Why doesn't anyone consider Bombing a pro style?

Also a second question to follow along the lines of the first, who thinks I can make bombing a pro style? ^^

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Actually, they are not spamming on purpose. See when they inhale the extra-poofy, extra-red-orange grade smoke, the imjkingwitchu fumes make them "bomb-happy" and they can't help but throw even more of the bombs they pull from... somewhere (not gonna go into detail there). and that's what happened! honest to me!

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I have a question similar to -Troll-'s.

If your being comboed by any attack (like a up-tilt string), what move can you use quickly to counter it if your just above the ground. Characters have a fast aerial to get out of some combos like Ice Climbers and their nair.

TL's back air only hit's behind him, neutral air still comes out slow, and forward air is something that should even be thought of being used.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
can you get out of d3's chain grab? if so, how?
I have a question similar to -Troll-'s.

If your being comboed by any attack (like a up-tilt string), what move can you use quickly to counter it if your just above the ground. Characters have a fast aerial to get out of some combos like Ice Climbers and their nair.

TL's back air only hit's behind him, neutral air still comes out slow, and forward air is something that should even be thought of being used.
Zair solves both your problems.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
No sasuke, for one, zair will only get you out of D3's chain grab if they mess up. Although its not a bad idea, you would have to make sure you fast fall with it. I say the best choice is to use the triple A combo, or Block, or Spot dodge. More of a mind game thing.

As for the uptilt problem, it depends on who you are fighting. Zair wont work, cause your above them.. how will it hit o_O. Zair would work if your about to get a follow up attack from a grab or something, but not uptilts. Try DI'ing away, left or right of course, with bair. But it really comes down to who you are fighting. More practice should bring more solutions.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Your not going to get out of it anyway. If they mess up, then why not Zair? And DDD can grab you while you hit him with Jab combo. Your just going to give him like 5 damage and hes going to grab you with his "grab super-armor". He can't grab you during Zair. Zair is the only smart move. Anything else is going to get you grabbed again.

Airdodge->Zair put you in the position to Zair. And you can cancel the airdodge at any time of the Zair, making it applicable to any situation.

Think about the applications of the move and not just the move itself. Theres a reason its so useful.
Not just for setting up for SH Nair like most think.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
No.. again sasuke. DDD cannot grab you while your doing your A attack combo. If you press A all 3 times, without delaying for a jab cancel or anything, all three will hit, but this is only if DDD makes an mistake. As for airdodging, that plainly wont work on the grab, because if your DIing backwards, you wont have enough room for your zair. Dude, when DDD does his chain grab, you dont even go in the air, so you would have to jump. Not enough time for that. I dont think you've played a good DDD. Also Air dodge out of uptilts might work, but again, depends on the character your fighting.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Yes, yes he can. Your not going to have enough time to do all three hits wtf? By the time you get the first one out he'll grab you again. DDD would have to make a BIG mistake for you to hit him with all of Jab combo. You could just turn around or jump outt of the way instead by then (or zair, leading to other things). If you DI backwards, your not going to go a fifth of the level back. You just SH Zair. Thats it. If you think you have enough time to do jab combo before he grabs you again, even with a mistake, I don't think you've played a decent DDD. And yes, you have to jump, because the air is a safer place to be up close against him. Theres more time to jump and airdodge then there is to jab combo.

Airdodge out of a utilt works against everyone if you do it right.
What you do after/ during the airdodge is what matters.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
*sigh*.. DDD's chaingrab throw doesnt send you in the air, it pushes you along the ground. And your basically telling me that, the triple A attack doesnt work on DDD, at all?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I.
Did.
Not.
Say.
It.
Puts.
You.
In.
The.
Air.
Thats why I said to jump. thats implied when I say Zair, because you can't Zair on the ground(that would be a grab).

I'm telling you that, if he messes up, and you try to use jab attack:
Hes going to grab you while your using the first hit, hes going to take damage, not get knocked back and grab you again.
And that if its to the point where DDD messed up THAT BAD as for you to be able to hit him with at least the second hit of jab combo, you can just jump instead an do something more productive.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Its really hard to explain what I'm trying to say to you. So I'll just leave it alone.

-TroLL-

Smash Rookie
uh, thanks
personally, i have actually gotten out of the cg with a jab combo and trying zair would make sense, but ill also say that ive never actually faced a really good dedede

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
its a chain grab. you cant get in the air by jumping when he's chain grabbing you sasukebowser.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
What part of "only if he messes up" are you guys not getting? Sasuke is right. Jab combo isn't that useful, and SH Zair is your best option.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
any practiced d3 wouldn't mess up a chain grab in a way that would let you retaliate effectively.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
any practiced d3 wouldn't mess up a chain grab in a way that would let you retaliate effectively.
absolutely true.

but if it did happen i think the best way to retaliate would be to spot dodge his grab and punish with a fsmash, that gets DDD away from you so you can pull out a bomb and then throw your boomerang at him to get some adequate spacing.

flyingcow989

Smash Rookie
what is the correct way to zair->nair?

I assume you don't fastfall the zair. I think i may have figured it out but i think the stickies should explain this combo more.

do you do a short hop->airdodge->zair, when you land, smash stick forward to begin dash animation(foxtrot), shortjump, nair fastfall?

I tested this on computers and usually you can get the nair in just after the zair stun finishes.

Ive tried it without dashing before the jump and it seems to slow.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
absolutely true.

but if it did happen i think the best way to retaliate would be to spot dodge his grab and punish with a fsmash, that gets DDD away from you so you can pull out a bomb and then throw your boomerang at him to get some adequate spacing.
wouldn't it be more effective to roll into the grab and get behind him or would he have enough time to pivot grab?

vbdood1337

Smash Apprentice
@flyingcow: That's how I do it. Be aware that you can arrow cancel the nair as well.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
absolutely true.

And if he just hold shield and grabs you again?
Just like most DDD's do?

Thats why you get in the air. I don't get whats hard about understanding this.

All your saying would work ONCE AT MOST (as a mindgame). Then they would catch on.
It's not about you only getting chain grabbed once in the match. It's about you best option overall (Which is Zair.). Also, its only about when DDD messed up. Which isn't very often, and leads you to panic like" OMG!!1 I need to take advantage of this!! whats fast?! UH UHH Jab combo!". But when you have a calm mind during the match, you should go with the smart choice. =P
Zair.

Thats enough explaining.

wouldn't it be more effective to roll into the grab and get behind him or would he have enough time to pivot grab?
I really don't want to explain this, so no.
Just take my word for it. No.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
It's about you best option overall (Which is Zair.). Also, its only about when DDD messed up. Which isn't very often, and leads you to panic like" OMG!!1 I need to take advantage of this!! whats fast?! UH UHH Jab combo!". But when you have a calm mind during the match, you should go with the smart choice. =P
Zair.

I really don't want to explain this, so no.
Just take my word for it. No.
I'm not taking your word for it xD

But really, why Zair? Unless you somehow DI at an opportune moment to Zair and autocancel, he just needs to shield (which he will anyway because good D3s shieldgrab everything) and can then just dashgrab since Zair just lost its hitbox.

Jab interrupt and if D3 shieldgrabs, the jab hits them before D3 swings his arm toward you. You can even end after the 1st jab and run (it's the one with least lag).

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
I'm not taking your word for it xD

But really, why Zair? Unless you somehow DI at an opportune moment to Zair and autocancel, he just needs to shield (which he will anyway because good D3s shieldgrab everything) and can then just dashgrab since Zair just lost its hitbox.

Jab interrupt and if D3 shieldgrabs, the jab hits them before D3 swings his arm toward you. You can even end after the 1st jab and run (it's the one with least lag).
If he shields just FF to get rid of lag and then SH and try again XP

Top Bottom