• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too much Marths?

Ipwn

Smash Apprentice
Are there to much Marths? i think there are alotta marths becasue
People think that Ken is the best and he p00ns everyone. and because he plays
Marths people think they can p00n with Marth too.. well. ik play marth too but
that is just he is the easiest to handle. Discuss?
Btw why I did come with this topic.. If u look at Character specific you see
everywere <1000 topics exept @ Fox and Marth. btw i thkn that there alotta
Marths atm because of the Tier list..

Ps. Sorry for my spelling mistakes.

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
Well some people.........just like the character marth. He is easy to handle sure, fun to play as definately, is ken the reason i picked him up? no. To some that might be the case tho.

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
I used Marth after seeing that speed>strength, replacing Roy. I learned about Ken after that. Some people use Marth because of Ken, but don't assume everyone does.

Polyniekes

Smash Rookie
I used to play as Link, then realized that Marth had the factors that made me link and was much quicker. As I got more into smash brothers, I watched videos of people like Ken, and decided that I was going to learn the more advanced techniques. His pacing to me seems to be more natural to pick up, he's not too floaty or a fast faller IMO

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
hmm iv mained marth before any other character since the game came out everybody in the ol' neghiborhood chose roy and i showed em that marth owns roy... iv always been him and i just keep getting better and better

dude225

Smash Apprentice
i never even knew there was competetive smash until i joined this forum, about 5 months ago... but i used marth the entire time i played...

but i can see that alot of people main with all of the top-tier characters because they just seem to be the best...

i knew marth was my best before i started researching, but after i did some research, I decided to take up fox, because i knew he was good where marth was weak... (same with sheik, but i suck with her)

so, i dont think people pick him because ken... alot of people make their choice on their preferences... not because ken is considered the best

Ktk

Smash Rookie
my brother uses Marth, but he doesnt even know Ken , and i dont see much Marth players around my area.. And hes ok, but he doesnt know how to wavedash.

AS Money

Smash Lord
nahh marth is just easy to be OK with and kinda hard to get to the next level of play

oh and i know english probably isn't your first language im not trying to be mean but change much to many it makes more sence

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
ironically, when you start off, you think phyre > speed, and pick roy.

then you learn that speed > roy, and you pick marth.

then you learn that real roy players are actually faster than marth, its just that marth has a crapload of combos he can pull and much more damaging attack <range>, and thus marth in this sense is stronger, but not faster.

watch some real roy's and its pretty clear they are much faster than their marth counterparts.

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
I chose Link to start with, but then moved to Roy because he was faster and stronger with his sword. I then tried Marth for kicks and giggles and thought the speed was more useful than Roy's power. Three months later I started watching videos and joined the Smashboards.

I use marth, but I have probably 2 more mains. Everyone thinks he is the best, and I can understand why. But he can be easily be delt with by a few characters

I initially chose marth over Roy because im always one for speed. I have been finding some better characters to deal with those who chose marth against me, though

totaKK

Smash Apprentice
Didnt you read...? roy has a faster game marth just has better?/easier combo abilities....tho i just cant sweet spot for *** with roy X_X compared to marth
srsly...there arent that many marth players compared to say... fox and falcos. He isnt that easy to pick up as to say like....sheik. Sure anyone can pick him up, but to main marth really good takes alot of skills, since i dont think any other char is so spacing dependent.

oya...for the record....Mikeal>Ken XD

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
There were a few vaild points made so far. I personally played Roy before Marth when I was still a smash noob. I thought shield rolling was hidden tech too.

1. The best player plays him, so a lot of people will follow suit.
2. He's high on the tier list.
3. He's easy to learn.
4. F-Smash.
5. Maybe 5% of the Marth's are actually competent.

Aesir

Smash Master
O_o roy doesn't have a faster game, marth beats roy in every single area. Roys attacks barely do 1% more if even.

there aren't alot of marth players theres a few granted, but not alot.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
I picked him because he's the one of the first characters I unlocked and thought it was cool that he had a japanese taunt, then I unlocked roy and thought about switching but I didn't cause marth had a repetative neutral A not a one hit like roy (The best reason ever).

I have been influence by watch pros play, for my second main of Captain Falcon. Watching the vid of isai vs ken on pokemon stadium influenced me to give Captain Falcon a try.

dude225

Smash Apprentice
actually totaKK has a point... i wactched the entire MLG west vs. Midwest... and not one marth appearance the entire 40 stock of either of the teams... it was all about sheik, fox, and peach was played the most...

not even ken used marth.... which i was dissapointed at...

ClintX10

Smash Rookie
This is why I chose marth.

1.)When I first got him, I thought he looked cool.

2.)He had a sword

3.)I was curious to see what that down-b did

4.)When I found out what down-b was, I got hooked

And now that counter crazy me is gone...

I wasn't influenced by ken at all. I only found out about him and watched videos of him this year.

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
I didn't even know anything about Ken until this year. i always played as Marth ever since I unlocked him on my game. Sure Marth is a great character, but none of the characters are godly, no matter what teir they're on.

totaKK

Smash Apprentice
try out peach and tell me that no char. is godly:laugh:

tho its true low tiers takes so much more skills for most people(chu as an exeption)

dude225

Smash Apprentice
chu? as in pikachu? or master of chu?

anyway, pikachu takes practice, just like everyone else...

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Pssh. I picked Marth because he was high on the tier list. And because of Ken. And because I am easily influenced by others. And because I like relying completely on one circular little yellow nubbin on my controller. That thing is freaking sweet. What is that called again? C-smash? Smash-stick? Whatever, that thing wins me matches mang.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Honestly I just like swordsmen. I like Marth because he's easy to learn, hard to master. He's definetly one of the most fun characters to play as. For me he's got a nice rythm and flow from one move to the next which is nice to watch. I don't care who else plays marth, I'm going to play him anyway.

Ipwn

Smash Apprentice
Pssh. I picked Marth because he was high on the tier list. And because of Ken. And because I am easily influenced by others. And because I like relying completely on one circular little yellow nubbin on my controller. That thing is freaking sweet. What is that called again? C-smash? Smash-stick? Whatever, that thing wins me matches mang.
Yar kiddin, Right?

ROB_[MCC}

Smash Apprentice
Of the group of guys I play with (the top players in Pittsburgh), here's the character breakdown:
Character: # who main him
Fox: 3
Falco: 2
Peach: 2
IC: 2
Samus: 2
Young Link: 1
Link: 1
Sheik: 1
Jigglypuff: 1
Marth: 1

Marth is in the minority for being such a high ranking character. It seems the trend in Pittsburgh is moving towards Fox, Falco, and Peach... and away from classic top tiers such as Marth and Sheik.

Marth/Falco Pro

Smash Lord
I used Marth way before adv. techs so that's why I use him ^_^ I never used Marth just because I thought ken was good but I chose him because he was so easy to handle, and I think he has great recovery.

Eugenio

Smash Lord
Well back in my noob days people told me that Roy was better than Marth(because of the fire). I used to use Link but I completly sucked with him so I just decided to go with another guy with a sword and I didn't wanna use Roy cuz everybody I knew used him, plus marth has a red and a black and a white and a green costume that looked pretty cool to me. I wasn't until alot later that i found out about tiers and ken. I like the way Marth plays, it's more my style(slashing ppl in the air) ;)

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Lol. I don't see how Pittsburgh "naming" one Ganon move that I've heard 300 different names for means anything.

Besides, the best name for any ganon move is for his fair: "Dickfist" ie. Ganon "1 Hit-KO" Dickfist

dude225

Smash Apprentice
lol, i love the gannon cannon... but who cares what its called?

omg... im typing on my Wii... it takes forever

Hiko

Smash Rookie
I played marth a long time ago. I didn't know about Ken. Until like 2006. I like marth because of his speed and he uses a sword. He remind me of Hiko from Samurai X. Well I didn't pick him because he was good or easy to play. I pick him because I like sword play and mostly because he remind me of hiko

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Of the group of guys I play with (the top players in Pittsburgh), here's the character breakdown:
Character: # who main him
Fox: 3
Falco: 2
Peach: 2
IC: 2
Samus: 2
Young Link: 1
Link: 1
Sheik: 1
Jigglypuff: 1
Marth: 1

Marth is in the minority for being such a high ranking character. It seems the trend in Pittsburgh is moving towards Fox, Falco, and Peach... and away from classic top tiers such as Marth and Sheik.
Aren't Fox and Falco higher on the tier list? And Peach is only one step below him. Just thought I'd point out that you're moving higher on the tier list, not lower.

ch00

Smash Cadet
When I first started to play ssbm I mained Link. Soon I came to realise that Link as a character, is way to difficult to start out with.( At least for me:chuckle: ) I needed to pick a character who was a lot easier to learn advanced techs with.

I really like a char with a sword so I stubled upon Marth, not knowing that it was a high tier char. Soon I started to really love Marths moveset and he is my main since then.

Top Bottom