• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too late to start playing Melee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Wow, so telling the truth is trolling on this board. Okay, maybe the last sentence was opinion-based, but if you think the rest isn't true you're just kidding yourself. Also, one of the most technical spacies... in Utah? Is that supposed to be an accomplishment? In that case, I should brag about being one of the best Melee Jigglypuffs in Tennessee.
Stating your opinion isn't trolling.

Deliberately coming into the thread of a sector you don't like just to bash it and insult users is.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
Wow, so telling the truth is trolling on this board. Okay, maybe the last sentence was opinion-based, but if you think the rest isn't true you're just kidding yourself. Also, one of the most technical spacies... in Utah? Is that supposed to be an accomplishment? In that case, I should brag about being one of the best Melee Jigglypuffs in Tennessee.
The point was to prove that you can improve quickly if you put in enough hours of solid practice. And yes. Utah. I never said it was impressive. Besides, the Utah scene is growing rapidly and our players are getting much stronger overall.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
I'm sorry if I mistakenly called you a troll. But do you seriously think someone can't catch up at this point? Do you seriously think Melee will die in a few months?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm not coming in to bash or insult anybody. I'm coming to give some sound advice to a new player.
No offense, but your advice sounded a lot like "forget this bad game, play Brawl instead".

Like I said in my own post, Super Street Fighter II Turbo is in its twentieth year, seven more than Melee, and still going strong. I'm pretty sure Melee's going to last at least a few years longer. Especially with the prospect of a virtual console release on the horizon.

I'd also like to clarify that I am not against Brawl's fandom in the slightest, but you're walking on risky ground.

Last edited:

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
No offense, but your advice sounded a lot like "forget this bad game, play Brawl instead".

Like I said in my own post, Super Street Fighter II Turbo is in its twentieth year, seven more than Melee, and still going strong. I'm pretty sure Melee's going to last at least a few years longer. Especially with the prospect of a virtual console release on the horizon.
They never said Melee is a bad game, only that it is sub-par compared to the promise of SSB4 (by their own standards). Whether or not Melee remains reasonably active for X amount of time is up to the community as a whole, one person's opinion won't change anything.

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
I'm sorry if I mistakenly called you a troll. But do you seriously think someone can't catch up at this point? Do you seriously think Melee will die in a few months?
Why wouldn't it die? Brawl killed it when it came out, and Brawl has some major flaws. Smash 4 fixes all those flaws, is currently riding a huge hype train, has the potential to bring in tons of new players, and most of the Brawl and Melee pros that I've seen have said they're going to play it when it comes out. There's going to come a point when CRTs and Melee discs get too scarce and expensive for there to be enough setups at tournaments, when people get tired of seeing Fox and Falcos in almost every match, and when the metagame gets stale because the game's been played for 13 years, regardless of how much people like Smash 4.

There are plenty of reasons Brawl would be better for him to start with than Melee. Smash 4 is much closer to Brawl than Melee. He said he can't play on Dolphin, but Brawl on wifi wouldn't be a problem (assuming he has wifi). He won't need to buy an increasingly expensive Gamecube controller (Wiichuck is a perfectly fine control option, especially since he's never used a Gamecube controller). Brawl is easier to find and probably cheaper than Melee since it's a lot newer.

Are you saying you'd recommend someone to play SSF2 Turbo over USF4? Admittedly I'm not too familiar with Street Fighter, but USF4 is much bigger from what I've seen. I have a feeling Nintendo won't release Melee on VC any time soon since they want to push Smash 4 as much as possible.

Edit: Besides the above reasons, he'll be able to focus more time into fundamentals instead of Melee AT's which won't be in Smash 4, and he'll be able to get used to the buffer which I think is returning.

Last edited:

The Soap

Smash Apprentice
Does every thread on smashboards really have to melt down to unnecessary Melee vs. Brawl arguments? Just play the game you like and let people play the games they like

Thor

Smash Champion
The Soap said:
Does every thread on smashboards really have to melt down to unnecessary Melee vs. Brawl arguments? Just play the game you like and let people play the games they like
Glad to see you cleaning up this thread ahahaha... please don't shoot me.

It's never too late to start playing any of the Smash games. Try 'em all, and see what you want to play the most. [If you're only interested in Melee and Smash 4, of course feel free to skip the others - but I think they're all great plays, and I'd recommend all of them to anyone in a heartbeat, which is why I suggest trying all 3 installments.]

(FYI, Smash 4 is looking like it will be closer to Brawl than Melee (the airdodge and probably not needing to L-cancel stuff), so if you really do want to feel more ready for Smash 4, you should probably play Brawl at least a little.)

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Why wouldn't it die? Brawl killed it when it came out, and Brawl has some major flaws. Smash 4 fixes all those flaws, is currently riding a huge hype train, has the potential to bring in tons of new players, and most of the Brawl and Melee pros that I've seen have said they're going to play it when it comes out. There's going to come a point when CRTs and Melee discs get too scarce and expensive for there to be enough setups at tournaments, when people get tired of seeing Fox and Falcos in almost every match, and when the metagame gets stale because the game's been played for 13 years, regardless of how much people like Smash 4.

There are plenty of reasons Brawl would be better for him to start with than Melee. Smash 4 is much closer to Brawl than Melee. He said he can't play on Dolphin, but Brawl on wifi wouldn't be a problem (assuming he has wifi). He won't need to buy an increasingly expensive Gamecube controller (Wiichuck is a perfectly fine control option, especially since he's never used a Gamecube controller). Brawl is easier to find and probably cheaper than Melee since it's a lot newer.

Are you saying you'd recommend someone to play SSF2 Turbo over USF4? Admittedly I'm not too familiar with Street Fighter, but USF4 is much bigger from what I've seen. I have a feeling Nintendo won't release Melee on VC any time soon since they want to push Smash 4 as much as possible.

Edit: Besides the above reasons, he'll be able to focus more time into fundamentals instead of Melee AT's which won't be in Smash 4, and he'll be able to get used to the buffer which I think is returning.
First, Brawl didn't kill Melee. It did overshadow it for a short time, but Melee is presently the dominant scene by a large margin.

Also, considering he's already used to Super Smash Flash 2, which has a similar end-goal to SSB4, he'd be better off practicing on that if you asked me than Brawl which is objectively far more defensive, something Sakurai is actively trying to cut down on according to a question asked in a letter to him. Again, not trying to bash Brawl, but it'll be more different than you think. And if you think me recommending a fan game is an insult for any reason, you need to think about the fact that it's my own competitive Smash game of choice, above Melee and P:M. It's not the better game, but I have my reasons for following it, and I wouldn't if there wasn't some quality and effort in its balance and depth. (And the functioning wi-fi helps.)

And I won't comment on recommending SSFIITurbo over USIV. I strongly recommend it for learning the basics of the series and for fighting games in general, along with still being an enjoyable experience - USIV is overall better, but generally more overwhelming to beginners and ultimately an entirely different animal than the II games. Just like Melee, Brawl, and U/3D are entirely different animals from each other. Experience from one will for the most part not carry over into the next, whether it's from Melee to Brawl, from Brawl to Melee, or from either game to U/3D.

My point is, the scene's not dying anytime soon, so it's there if he wants it. The Brawl and P:M scenes are also there. As is the Super Smash Flash 2 scene. And soon the SSBU/3D scenes. Each is different from each other. You can learn the fundamentals on any one of them.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Wow this thread is getting stupid fast... wish I'd realized it before I posted...

Look there's already a "Will Melee die out?" thread somewhere, and let's be real - it won't, much in the way that Smash 64 STILL hasn't died out. People who are the best at one of the games will continue to play it and appreciate it for being a great game. If people want to post more yes/no stuff, take it to that thread instead, please?

I'm honestly more worried about Brawl dying out [despite what I just said above]...and Brawl didn't actually kill Melee, just knocked it unconscious. And then some of the points shapular stated just plain aren't true (Staling meta-game? Have you heard of the person named aMSa? Fox Falco only? Hbox? Armada? M2K? Hello???). So while I may like people who support Brawl, you're going about it all wrong. Like, really really badly.

Last edited:

Symba

Smash Rookie
I'll try my best to get better!
I've also just started playing. First I started with Project M. I actually just got my techs and wavedashing consistent. After that you really get a grip of the game and it becomes a lot more fun. The hardest part is finding a partner. I've just been playing by myself because I don't know anyone that I can play with that is actually close but if you can find someone it'll help a lot and you can learn a lot from each other.

shapular

Smash Ace
I've also just started playing. First I started with Project M. I actually just got my techs and wavedashing consistent. After that you really get a grip of the game and it becomes a lot more fun. The hardest part is finding a partner. I've just been playing by myself because I don't know anyone that I can play with that is actually close but if you can find someone it'll help a lot and you can learn a lot from each other.
You're in Maryland. It's only one of the biggest regions for Smash. You probably have like 100 people near you. Check the regional boards. If you're anywhere near Baltimore check out Smash @ Xanadu on Tuesdays.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Coming into the melee boards to state your objectionable opinion as fact (it's how it initially came across to myself and others here) is basically trolling. I'm honestly very happy (and a tad surprised) at the maturity of the responses to what would be seen as flame baiting/trolling anywhere else on the boards.

You could've easily stated your later response first rather than incite negative responses, you shouldn't make a habit of that.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
most of the players in my scene have little to no interest in smash4. and socal melee's one of the biggest melee communities in the world.

ironically, i don't think this could've happened without brawl. people jumped from melee to brawl and let melee die because they didn't know what to expect. as far as they were concerned, it would've been every bit as amazing as melee, but when it didn't satisfy their needs, they dropped out of the scene.

said players end up coming back to melee, but fool me twice shame on me is the flavor of this generation. the incredible following and hype brawl had up to its release is near nonexistent in the melee community this time around for smash 4. just for this alone, i don't see smash 4 killing melee in any way, shape, or form, and won't have nearly the same impact as brawl.

on another note, crts will not be a problem. you won't find them in stores these days, but they actually are freakin' everywhere. the concern about melee discs is somewhat real, though you can load an ISO into the Wii without a disc IIRC. a big issue was also controllers, but nintendo is releasing new gc controllers for smash 4 that hopefully will be pretty good.

IDK, nothing lasts forever, but melee looks the healthiest its ever been and looks like it'll continue to live for many more years to come.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
Warning Received
The latter portion of my post was said in jest <_< No need to get defensive. lol
:p

I'm more wondering what @ supahVGC supahVGC thinks of all this. I hope we didn't scare him off.
Haha :) I think you guys are giving me some very helpful information :p
I'm saying this as someone who will probably be primarily a SSB4 player (if the problems evident in the demo are actually fixed); there will always be a Melee community.

Just like there's still a thriving community for Marvel 2 (14 years old, 1 more than Melee) and Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Exactly 20 years old, 7 years more than Melee).

...wait, you're an SSF2 player? I'm a competitive SSF2 player, so I can tell you that I think SSB4 will likely be a comfortable choice for you as well due to having the same goals of striking a balance between all games. If they fix the problems.

So 4, Melee, even SSF2, either community you want to try out, go for it.

By the way, used Wiis are pretty cheap ($40-60). Melee, though... Not so much ($70+). Used copies of Brawl are REALLY cheap, though ($15-30), and by extension, P:M.
Yeah, that's what I thought :) I might be able to get a used Gamecube and Melee with it for a reasonable price.
Obvious troll attempt. @ supahVGC supahVGC no it isn't too late. Melee still has years from what I can tell. Besides, the tech skill isn't anything to worry about. I've only been playing Melee competitively since late December, and I'm already considered to be one of the most technical spacie players in my region. If you have the work ethic, you can achieve it.
I just thought people would start drifting away from it after the release of SSB4, I can't blame them though, it looks amazing :p I didn't mean to start a Melee vs Brawl argument so please just let people play their game of choice.

How 2 delete post

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
When you say "never played any smash game", did you mean never have you played at all? Because if so, I dont think you should start with Melee. You have a lot of work to do, and by the time you are at competitive level, Melee could be dead.

"never touched a gamecube controller"

goddamn

Symba

Smash Rookie
You're in Maryland. It's only one of the biggest regions for Smash. You probably have like 100 people near you. Check the regional boards. If you're anywhere near Baltimore check out Smash @ Xanadu on Tuesdays.
I'm actually going there next week for the first time. But I've actually never thought of that for some reason o.o but thanks for the idea. ^_^

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
When you say "never played any smash game", did you mean never have you played at all? Because if so, I dont think you should start with Melee. You have a lot of work to do, and by the time you are at competitive level, Melee could be dead.

"never touched a gamecube controller"

goddamn
What do you think I should start with then? I know I have a lot of work to do, and I think Melee is a good game to start with.

Last edited:

big sleep

չչչ
having trouble understanding the question in the opening post... but then again i picked up Vampire Savior a year ago :001:

Last edited:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
What do you think I should start with then? I know I have a lot of work to do, and I think Melee is a good game to start with.
you can start with melee if you want, but go legit, or at least semi-legit and play with a gc controller. its really good if you can get used to it.

if you can go all the way legit, meaning melee on a cube and a crt. a wii will work if you dont have a cube.

i know this is expensive, but at least play with a gamecube controller if you are gonna do dolphin.

if you want to start with a game more current, try project m.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
you can start with melee if you want, but go legit, or at least semi-legit and play with a gc controller. its really good if you can get used to it.

if you can go all the way legit, meaning melee on a cube and a crt. a wii will work if you dont have a cube.

i know this is expensive, but at least play with a gamecube controller if you are gonna do dolphin.

if you want to start with a game more current, try project m.
I will definitely try out Project M if I can get a Wii, but that's probably unlikely.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
so basically all you have is a keyboard and a computer with dolphin? not very prepared, i see.
Lol :p I'm getting a Gamecube soon but I didn't want to pay for it without being sure it's not too late :)

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
Lol :p I'm getting a Gamecube soon but I didn't want to pay for it without being sure it's not too late :)
when you get the cube, make sure it comes with some controllers. and melee. or get melee seperate, idc.

melee still has a very active scene, but you need to hurry if you want to join it. make sure you get solid on one or two characters, and learn advanced tech on both of them. you need two so you don't get stuck in bad matchups. be as diverse as you can with the characters so you can conquer nearly every matchup, but always make sure you are best with one or two.

wavedashing, l-canceling, shield-falling are in my opinion the top three advanced techs to learn.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
If it's not already ordered, get a Wii instead. It can do everything the GameCube can and more, full backwards compatibility. In fact, EVO's Melee setup used a Wii.

Last edited:

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
If it's not already ordered, get a Wii instead. It can do everything the GameCube can and more, full backwards compatibility. In fact, EVO's Melee setup used a Wii.
Pretty much this.
Wii's are EXTREMELY cheap to get, and while it's cool to own a GC, you'd be better off having a Wii, so you could play all of the games it's compatible with (Was Smash 64 released on VC?)

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
Pretty much this.
Wii's are EXTREMELY cheap to get, and while it's cool to own a GC, you'd be better off having a Wii, so you could play all of the games it's compatible with (Was Smash 64 released on VC?)
yeah. smash 64 is on vc

i reccomend getting a wii also, as they crash less. (still crash a lot if you put in work, but less than the cube.)

Raise

Smash Rookie
Check your local Craigslist for good deals as well. I got 2 GC's, Melee, 2 controllers, and 2 memory cards from some dude off Craigslist like 4 months ago for $40.

lygraf

Smash Rookie
i'd like to take the title of the thread in a different direction -

i'm 27. just picking the game back up after seeing evo and heavily interested in getting into competitive. according to chu dat on that newspaper article published on reddit the other day, he's also 27 and concedes that his best days are behind him and that top players are always going to be younger kids with hot reflexes.

do you guys sign off on that philosophy? there are older professional players in other reflex games (i.e. Taz from virtus.pro and MANY other CS:GO players), and I think it's fair to say there's quite a few middle-aged folk on a high level, but what about the top?

i wanna pick melee back up and put a feverish amount of work in but now i'm not so sure the reward is going to be worth the time when I could be putting in hours on something else.

Symba

Smash Rookie

i'm 27. just picking the game back up after seeing evo and heavily interested in getting into competitive. according to chu dat on that newspaper article published on reddit the other day, he's also 27 and concedes that his best days are behind him and that top players are always going to be younger kids with hot reflexes.

do you guys sign off on that philosophy? there are older professional players in other reflex games (i.e. Taz from virtus.pro and MANY other CS:GO players), and I think it's fair to say there's quite a few middle-aged folk on a high level, but what about the top?

i wanna pick melee back up and put a feverish amount of work in but now i'm not so sure the reward is going to be worth the time when I could be putting in hours on something else.
Some of the greatest players at 25+ i don't how old Mango and M2K are but they're in their 20s and they're still dominating tournaments and have been playing for 7+ years(don't know exactly how long)

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I agree and understand that it takes a while, but I'm willing to spend the time!
I meant to say, yup as an agreement to the previous post before mine, as in, it's never to late too play Melee...

I don't subscribe to that at all. Melee, although hugely technical, is mostly a mental game. I'm 27 and while I don't compete anymore (NOTE: that doesn't mean I don't play to win), I'd argue that I play better now than I ever have, simply from having the years of experience. If I practiced regularly my tech skill could be on point. I'm sure it's not the case for everyone, but as a rule I'd venture to guess I probably fit into the standard, not the exception...

Last edited:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809

as long as your reflexes stay sharp as the youngin's, you are ok.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
I meant to say, yup as an agreement to the previous post before mine, as in, it's never to late too play Melee...
Ooh, I thought you meant it is too late :p

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Melee is the only viable game to pick up. Sm4sh will have a few good years before everyone realizes it's literally brawl without metaknight (still a garbage game). We got hit hard when brawl came out, but the community pushed forward and survived. We have more experience this time around so we'll be fine.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I'm someone who has started diving into competitive Melee this past summer, and Smash4 isn't gonna make me stop. I don't have a WiiU so I probably won't play it unless someone else has it anyway. I'll wait to see the community reaction. But either way, Melee is still gonna be my top priority and I want to get better at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom