• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I've said it once, I'll say it again: The removal of transformations constitute Toad's biggest shot for playability in this game.

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Toads are used in the menus of Mario Kart 8.

Toad is relevant... HE MUST BE IN SMASH.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I've said it once, I'll say it again: The removal of transformations constitute Toad's biggest shot for playability in this game.
It's possible. Hey may have been pseudo trolling us by revealing the oddball newcomer first so we wouldn't get our hopes up.

It's not the most likely thing in the world, but it's possible.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
If only that was the truth... Well, we won't have to wait too long, E3's just around the corner and I guess it's only a matter of months before we know the full roster.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Toad really deserves it though I don't understand what the hell is wrong with Sakurai
Rosalina's a very developed character, and though I do believe that Toad would be better suited, I'm glad someone "decent" got the spot.

And a bunch of guys like seeing Rosalina naked or in tight clothes, thus raising her popularity.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
So... has anyone else's Spidey senses tingled over Peach not being playable at the upcoming events? That combined with Sakurai's multiple warnings that certain moves and gameplay elements are subject to change... hinky stuff.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's possible. Hey may have been pseudo trolling us by revealing the oddball newcomer first so we wouldn't get our hopes up.

It's not the most likely thing in the world, but it's possible.
I honestly think it is pretty possible. He is trolling crazy hard, or attempting to upset fans. There is no middle ground with how much 'coincidence' has been happening (short of it being true for only some characters.)
So... has anyone else's Spidey senses tingled over Peach not being playable at the upcoming events? That combined with Sakurai's multiple warnings that certain moves and gameplay elements are subject to change... hinky stuff.
Been saying this since the beginning. Yep

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really wish Sakurai was actually trolling the whole time. There are so many straws for us to grasp...

1. Sakurai singled out Peach and said Peach's moves would be "refreshed"
2. The "four people?" comment on Super Mario 3D World Pic of the Day
3. The Alfonzo Clause (replace Toad with Toadsworth whenever Toad joins the battle)
4. Rainbow Road (3DS) & Mario Galaxy (Wii U) for Rosalina / 3D Land (3DS) & Mushroom Kingdom U (Wii U) for Toad?
5. Peach not playable in this Smash Invitation event at E3 2014

But then again, Sakurai did not tease Toad fans like he did with Palutena and Ridley fans at that Smash Direct.

D

Deleted member

I dunno if this is too late to say this, but I support Toad.
If there is a 6th Mario rep, Bowser Jr. or Toad would make me happy. I initially didn't like Toad for the longest time, but he's grown on me since SM3DW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I honestly think it is pretty possible. He is trolling crazy hard, or attempting to upset fans. There is no middle ground with how much 'coincidence' has been happening (short of it being true for only some characters.)
He could just genuinely not see the appeal in Toad. There's always that possibility.

Possibly. But I'm not hoping for it. I am changing my signature so that Toad has a question mark later, though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He could just genuinely not see the appeal in Toad. There's always that possibility.
It is possible. Remember that Iwata Asks interview about Super Mario 3D World and how they were surprised that Toad has fans.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Toad seems like he could be downloadable character material. Maybe Nintendo should do a survey to see what characters people would most like included.

Toad would not necessarily be overly complex to design such as Olimar and Rosalina. Yet his stat distribution of a fast, short hopping, power character would be a unique starting off point.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Rosalina's a very developed character, and though I do believe that Toad would be better suited, I'm glad someone "decent" got the spot.

And a bunch of guys like seeing Rosalina naked or in tight clothes, thus raising her popularity.
I'm not saying Rosalina doesn't deserve it, she's awesome and I'm hyped for her, but Toad deserves it moreso and should've gotten it. Jr. will probably snag the 6th spot if there is one (despite his absence in MK8) and poor Toad gets left in the dust ONCE again.. You made Villager work, Sakurai, you can make Toad work too.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad seems like he could be downloadable character material. Maybe Nintendo should do a survey to see what characters people would most like included.

Toad would not necessarily be overly complex to design such as Olimar and Rosalina. Yet his stat distribution of a fast, short hopping, power character would be a unique starting off point.
Fast, short hopping, power character? Sounds like Toad would fit right in Melee... or Project M.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
in the Peach thread, someone pointed out that Peach's dress physics might not be completely finished which might explain why she won't be playable at E3. It wouldn't surprise me actually, given she seems to have a whole new lot of animations (running, side smash, so there might be others), and didn't Sakurai say that she had received particular attention in Brawl sor something with her complex animations ?

But I agree with the newest posts. At this point, Toad seems like a DLC contender, I'll honestly be shocked and outraged if he isn't one of the first figurines out there...assuming figurines work the way I imagine they do, of course.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hey guys back from the honeymoon!

I was thinking this myself. Honestly I can't see Toad making the initial roster at this point, but he's hardly a difficult character to add as a DLC option should we get DLC characters.

Although I'll admit I'm leaning far more towards 'not in again' at this point.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Peach's not playable in E3?

Fascinating... very. Very. Fascinating.

*Falls on cold earth*

Naah. Nail in the coffin folks, I think it's just animation issues, definitely. (-´~`-);

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm really starting to think Toad is possible again.
My Doofy sense is tingling. It says that Sakurai said that Peach comment as casually as possible, in hopes for us to completely forget about it later.

And while I highly doubt that leak, the mention of Toadsworth replacing Toad does make a lot of sense. ALOT of sense.

Peach isn't playable at the Invitational? But why? Is it because her Toad move won't actually be in, and it will be replaced by Toadsworth entirely?

And as others have pointed out, we have Rainbow Road on 3DS and Comet Observetory on WiiU to represent RosaLuma. Could 3D Land on 3DS and New Super Mario U on WiiU represent Toad?

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Congratulations YoshiandToad ! ^^ Now I understand your avatar better, haha !

Mega Bidoof : I would so love it if it was true, but I'd rather have a negative attitude so as to not be disappointed for the umpteenth time.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm really starting to think Toad is possible again.
My Doofy sense is tingling. It says that Sakurai said that Peach comment as casually as possible, in hopes for us to completely forget about it later.

And while I highly doubt that leak, the mention of Toadsworth replacing Toad does make a lot of sense. ALOT of sense.

Peach isn't playable at the Invitational? But why? Is it because her Toad move won't actually be in, and it will be replaced by Toadsworth entirely?

And as others have pointed out, we have Rainbow Road on 3DS and Comet Observetory on WiiU to represent RosaLuma. Could 3D Land on 3DS and New Super Mario U on WiiU represent Toad?
What leak?

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Y'know, guys, I'm not a Toad supporter, as Rosalina was the only Mario character I cared about in Smash, but I'm really starting to think he still has a chance for a few reasons:

1. We just got the Mushroom Kingdom U stage revealed. Every newcomer so far has a home stage. Why not have a stage for both Mario newcomers? I just downloaded NSMBU, and I think this would fit perfectly as a Toad stage.

2. Sakurai's comments on Peach: "her moves may be refreshed by the time the games are released". This is pretty self-explanatory. He hasn't said this about any other character.

3. The fact that Peach is one of the characters that is nowhere to be seen at E3. She was announced so long ago, why isn't she going to be there? Then again, the same argument could probably be said about Luigi and Toon Link, so maybe this doesn't hold any ground. Luigi and TL were announced about the same time, and they won't be there.

4. This may be a weak reason, but together, both Rosalina and Toad would represent the modern Mario games. Rosalina represents the Galaxy games, and Toad would represent the NSMB games (not to mention all of the Mario characters can represent 3D World). It makes too much sense.

I don't want to raise anyone's hopes, but I'm going to be looking for Toad at E3 because we just got a NSMBU stage this week. It would be perfect to use in a reveal trailer.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
EDIT: Question: Has Peach's Toad move ever been shown since the "3D World Characters" PotD?
Once in the recent Direct(we saw video footage) and once in the pre-Rosalina Direct pic...where Link was about to shoot him with an arrow.

Is there a link to where it says Peach won't be being shown at E3? Having been away for a bit, I missed this bit. Anyone else who isn't getting shown off at E3?

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Is there a link to where it says Peach won't be being shown at E3? Having been away for a bit, I missed this bit. Anyone else who isn't getting shown off at E3?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQySEjyCUw

In the video that advertises the invitational, it says that only 20 characters will be playable:
  • Little Mac
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Bowser
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Marth
  • Mega Man
  • Pit
  • Villager
  • Pikachu
  • Mario
  • Link
  • Kirby
  • Samus
  • Rosalina & Luma
  • Sonic
  • Donkey Kong
  • Greninja
  • Pikmin & Olimar
  • Zelda
  • Fox
Most of the missing characters are recently revealed veterans, but Peach, Luigi, and Toon Link are missing as well. This could mean nothing, but some people are asking why Peach isn't going to be shown off, especially because we've known about her for so long.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQySEjyCUw

In the video that advertises the invitational, it says that only 20 characters will be playable:
  • Little Mac
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Bowser
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Marth
  • Mega Man
  • Pit
  • Villager
  • Pikachu
  • Mario
  • Link
  • Kirby
  • Samus
  • Rosalina & Luma
  • Sonic
  • Donkey Kong
  • Greninja
  • Pikmin & Olimar
  • Zelda
  • Fox
Most of the missing characters are recently revealed veterans, but Peach, Luigi, and Toon Link are missing as well. This could mean nothing, but some people are asking why Peach isn't going to be shown off, especially because we've known about her for so long.
Here are my (conclusion jumping-y) theories of why they aren't playable.

Luigi: Poltergust Move
Toon Link: New Side-B (Skull Hammer?)
Peach: Toad???

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Here are my (conclusion jumping-y) theories of why they aren't playable.

Luigi: Poltergust Move
Toon Link: New Side-B (Skull Hammer?)
Peach: Toad???
Makes perfect sense to me. I certainly hope that the reason why Toon Link isn't going to be there is because he is getting a moveset overhaul. I want him be be less clone-y and have more WW references. But, this isn't the TL forum.

On topic, I am going to be watching for Toad at E3. He would be the perfect upset that no one sees coming. However, if there's something that I've learned from the development of this game, it's that you can't predict Sakurai. I expected a Diddy/Dixie tag team for the February Direct because eveyone hyped it up and all of the stars were aligned perfectly for that reveal, and we got Little Mac instead.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I just hope with all of my heart that the gematsu leak, if it's actually is name, is one big fake. Well, only one day and several hours to go !

You know, I said it was probably because of her dress and animations that she would not be shown but, thinking about it, during SSBB I distinctly remember her being among the playable characters during a demo at E3. And it's true, she has been announced for a while, so why isn't she playable ? Then again, Luigi isn't either so maybe it's nothing...or maybe Luigi will just conserve his status as a character you must unlock first.

Well great, I hope you're all proud of you ! I'm getting my hopes up too much. *shot*

To be honest, I just want a character I like in, since Brawl didn't have any for me, lol (ZSS doesn't count. Samus is Samus to me).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
While I am happy with all the confirmed newcomers, I really wish that I could get more newcomers I actually supported besides Little Mac.

Starfy and Meowth are unfortunately deconfirmed. Toad's fate is unknown but it currently doesn't look good. Palutena's fate seems favorable. Mii and Pac-Man seem very likely and I would be happy with them. I'm also anxious to learn the fates of Dixie Kong, Tingle, Takamaru, Duck Hunt Dog, Wandering Heroes (Find Mii), Chrom, Mallo (Pushmo), and whether Advance Wars and Golden Sun would get characters or not.

Yes, there are many straws we could grasp onto... such as Sakurai's statement about refreshing Peach's moves, Sakurai's comment in the Super Mario 3D World pic of the day, the Alfonzo Clause, space-themed Mario stages for Rosalina and adventure-themed Mario stages possibly for Toad, Peach not playable at this Invitational event... not to mention Toad's increasing relevance and importance in post-Brawl Mario games. But they might mean nothing to Sakurai and Toad isn't playable after all.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yay! Gold Mario is unofficially deconfirmed with the announcement of the third Mario stage on the 3DS. Just like how Metal Mario is unofficially deconfirmed with the continued inclusion of the Metal Box item. Okay, so let's see...

3DS Mario stages
1. 3D Land - based on Super Mario 3D Land
2. Rainbow Road - based on Mario Kart 7
3. Golden Plains - based on New Super Mario Bros. 2
4. Melee Past Stage

Wii U Mario stages
1. Mario Galaxy - based on Super Mario Galaxy games
2. Mushroom Kingdom U - based on New Super Mario Bros. U
3. ???
4. Brawl Past Stage

I really wish that the Melee Past Stage is Mushroom Kingdom II (Subcon) and the third Wii U Mario stage is based on Super Mario 3D World. Those would have hinted at Toad being in. I really wish that Sakurai removed Peach's Toad move and let Toad fight for himself.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I just hope with all of my heart that the gematsu leak, if it's actually is name, is one big fake.
The leak didn't mention Rosalina & Luma at all. This either means that the leak is fake or it's not a complete list of newcomers. Either way, Toad's exclusion from that list doesn't mean anything.

The only reason the Gematsu leak is being taken seriously is because he predicted Wii Fit Trainer, which I admit is pretty impressive, but Little Mac, Mega Man, and Villager, not so much. And again, the lack of Rosalina on that list counters the WFT prediction.

And the leak didn't actually predict Greninja. It only said a pokémon from X and Y. That's a pretty wide net to cast.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Yes, that's why I'm a little afraid, haha !

There's still no newcomer I actually wanted, and I got no one in Brawl either so I'm anxious about our favorite mushroom's fate.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm literally screaming and jumping with joy that Toad finally got his own game!!!! My hands are trembling as I type this on my phone. I freaking cannot believe they actually did it... Our little mushroom retainer is finally a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom