• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Toad is the last "Mario Regular" to not appear in Smash. Granted, Daisy and Waluigi have become regulars as of late, along with Birdo and Diddy and blah blah blah... but it was always Mario/Luigi/Wario/Yoshi/DK/Bowser/Toad/Peach back in the day. Remember? Toad sooo needs to get in this game before any other Mario character.

Geno may get more votes, but Toad has the history and the reserved spot. Plus he's got recognition... I love Geno to death, but Toad wouldn't confuse as many people if he appeared; let's be honest here.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Ahh I love it! =) The more Toad the better, that's what I always say. If he isn't in Brawl, my manliness might falter and I might just start crying like a little girl.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Geno would have more interesting moves, but it would be nice if the whole Mario Kart 64 team was present in the fighting game. I think I would lean toward Geno if I had to choose one over the other.

smashbros_777

Smash Journeyman
toad? why toad theres a million of em and ther'ye fungi. Make toad a usefull person in story mode like ur guide or something. And just make him a monster that comes out of a box like a redead or goomba

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
No. That is exactly the kind of role(s) that Toad constantly gets and Toad fans are sick of seeing. We want to play as Toad.

Yyyyyyyyyyeah, so, I'm gonna need you to read through this thread about, ohh, 25 pages. Maybe pick up a few reasons instead of...I dunno, asking a question that's been asked before. Mmmmkayy? Thanks a bunch, smashbros.

(Haha I love Office Space)

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
toad? why toad theres a million of em and ther'ye fungi. Make toad a usefull person in story mode like ur guide or something. And just make him a monster that comes out of a box like a redead or goomba
Are we forgetting Yoshi? That's an entire race as well, but he is also a specific character, he's literally been there since the first mario, and, he's the strongest and fastest character in Mario USA. Btw, Xian, I love that toad compilaiton, great job as per usual.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
Are we forgetting Yoshi? That's an entire race as well, but he is also a specific character, he's literally been there since the first mario, and, he's the strongest and fastest character in Mario USA. Btw, Xian, I love that toad compilaiton, great job as per usual.
Yoshi and the pokemon are exceptions, since their specieses where the stars of the games they were in.

However, I thought there was only one Toad, and then eventually they started calling the entire race "Toads." I wouldn't mind if they put in THE Toad.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Yoshi and the pokemon are exceptions, since their specieses where the stars of the games they were in.

However, I thought there was only one Toad, and then eventually they started calling the entire race "Toads." I wouldn't mind if they put in THE Toad.
Yoshi started out as a race of creatures (Super Mario World) and only got their own games later, even then, they are still shown as a race and not a singular entity.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
The game that introduces yoshi in the first place has him as a race. Multi colored yoshis and whatnot.

Whereas the first game that introduces toad has him as his own role.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Yoshi Yoshi was his own character in Mario World, and his friends, the other Yoshies, were all kidnapped. He was still there, and even had his own little signature in the Message Blocks (that cool Yoshi pawprint :p), but his species came along with him.

Toad was *technically* not introduced until Mario 2, where it was the first time one was specifically pulled out and they said "okay, this is TOAD, not a Mushroom Person." In Japan, they're all Kinopios, ever since SMB1. Same deal, and problem, we have with Kamek/Magikoopa.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Ohh wait, so does Japan differentiate between TOAD and other Toads at all?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Ohh wait, so does Japan differentiate between TOAD and other Toads at all?
Not really :ohwell: A lot of fans call TOAD Kinopio, and all the others Toads, but in the end, Japan calls them all Kinopio... So it doesn't matter.

It's inferred there is ONE that is the best friend of Peach, buddy of Mario, blah blah... Just play Mario RPG, or Golf, or 2, or any of that. Toad stands out above the rest. But in other games, such as Paper Mario and Mario Sunshine, he is nowhere to be found.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Yeah and that's what I hate! It's like, he's one of the main effing characters...don't you think they would at least TRY to include him in games like PM and SMS? Apparently not. -_-

xianfeng

Smash Hero
It's inferred there is ONE that is the best friend of Peach, buddy of Mario, blah blah... Just play Mario RPG, or Golf, or 2, or any of that. Toad stands out above the rest. But in other games, such as Paper Mario and Mario Sunshine, he is nowhere to be found.
In Mario sunshine were they all the different coloured heads to specify Toad was the one at the end that handed Mario his FLUDD backs so he was there.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Yeah I guess...it's still disappointing that he's so often relegated to those insignificant sideline positions.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
Well, at least his trophy in Melee refers to him as an individual... It has been disheartening seeing Toad dissolved into the same state as Koopa Troopas. I wish they'd do something to give him a little more originality. Hey maybe Sakurai could redesign Toad like he did Pit...-_-

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
In Mario sunshine were they all the different coloured heads to specify Toad was the one at the end that handed Mario his FLUDD backs so he was there.
Not really. Toad has a red cap, BUT a blue vest. That was just another retainer.

The way I always saw it was that there are 7 retainers. 1 was Toadsworth, 1 was Toad, and the other 5 were the Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Purple toads in Sunshine.

Irregardless, in Baseball they focus on the red cap/red shirt toad as if he were THE Toad in opening video. Oy...

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
I decdided to make a point/counterpoint list for Toad. Most of these were said earlier in the thread, but most ppl haven't been reading the whole thing. (Points are against Toad, Counter points are for Toad [what I think]
Point: Toad is a generic character.
Counter Point: There is one Toad that is believed to be THE Toad (SMB2, Mario Kart, etc.)
Point: Toad is Peach's B-move.
CP: That can easily be replaced by Toadsworth or Perry, Peach's umbrella.
Point: Toad is a filler character and has no big roles.
CP: Toad was playable in SMB2, had a huge part in Mario Party, and was the main character for Wario's Woods.
Point: Geno is more deserving.
CP: Geno had only one big role in one game, and he may be 3rd party.
Point: But Geno was in SuperStar Saga.
CP: Toad was PLAYABLE in SuperStar Saga.
Point: There are too many Mario characters.
CP: The Mario series is the flagship series for Nintendo. Plus, Wario, DK, and maybe even Yoshi don't count as a Mario character.
Point: Why Toad? Why not Waluigi, Daisy, or Birdo?
CP: Toad was part of the 'big 8' and is the only character from Mario Kart 64 not to be in Smash yet.
Point: Toad isn't a fighter! He is a weakling!
CP: Toad was the strongest character in SMB2 out of Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad. In the game, he killed shy guys and other creatures.
Point: Just because he killed shy guys doesn't mean that he is a fighter.
CP: Other characters have not had a fighting backround before Smash either.
Point: Toad wouldn't have an original moveset.
CP: An example B moveset: B natural: Throw star. B left/right: Bazooka. B down: (Peach's move with shyguys and other things.) B up: Suprise from SMB3
Point: Toad is way too small and light.
CP: It's called resizing. And, in Mario Kart 64, Yosh in Toad were in the same weight class. Yoshi is not the heaviest in Smash.
Point: Toad has an annoying voice.
CP: Use it to taunt your enemies.
Point: Why can't he be the tutorial guide?
CP: Toad fans want more than that. Toad deserves better than that..
Point: Toad sux.
CP: If you don't like him, don't play as him.

That sums up most things.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I decdided to make a point/counterpoint list for Toad. Most of these were said earlier in the thread, but most ppl haven't been reading the whole thing. (Points are against Toad, Counter points are for Toad [what I think]
Counter Point: There is one Toad that is believed to be THE Toad (SMB2, Mario Kart, etc.)
CP: Toad was playable in SMB2, had a huge part in Mario Party, and was the main character for Wario's Woods.
CP: The Mario series is the flagship series for Nintendo. Plus, Wario, DK, and maybe even Yoshi don't count as a Mario character.
CP: Toad was part of the 'big 8' and is the only character from Mario Kart 64 not to be in Smash yet.
CP: Toad was the strongest character in SMB2 out of Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad. In the game, he killed shy guys and other creatures.
CP: An example B moveset: B natural: Throw star. B left/right: Bazooka. B down: (Peach's move with shyguys and other things.) B up: Suprise from SMB3
CP: It's called resizing. And, in Mario Kart 64, Yosh in Toad were in the same weight class. Yoshi is not the heaviest in Smash.

We have a winner. Thank you

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I love this post. Any Toad bashers must be directed towards it from now on. =)

DokturSea

Smash Lord

I...I love you.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero

I'm convinced, Toad is going in my sig :p TOAD FOR THE WIN, BEOTHCES!

demonpanther

Smash Cadet
To me toad is just too generic. There is not just one toad or "the toad" toad refers to the race of mushroom headed man servents. Yoshi is special because that green Yoshi is the one and only true yoshi that has been with Mario forever. Every other yoshi has different colors while the toads all look exactly the same.

Pikachu and Jigglypuff are there because of the popularity of the anime series. Toad on the other hand is a very generic character. They even had to create an old toad and a female one so that there could be some variety.

Adding toad would open up the doors for characters like boo or shy guy who are both generic popular characters.

My two cent take it or leave it.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
To me toad is just too generic. There is not just one toad or "the toad" toad refers to the race of mushroom headed man servents. Yoshi is special because that green Yoshi is the one and only true yoshi that has been with Mario forever. Every other yoshi has different colors while the toads all look exactly the same.
Play Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario's Woods there is one Toad and the rest are mushroom people, the species is called Mushroom People, and Toad is called TOAD

Pikachu and Jigglypuff are there because of the popularity of the anime series. Toad on the other hand is a very generic character
Double Standards much, Toad is very popular in the games and on the old TV series

They even had to create an old toad and a female one so that there could be some variety.
They created the female one to disnguish his gender and who knows why they created the old one everything in sunshine pissed me off

Adding toad would open up the doors for characters like boo or shy guy who are both generic popular characters.
There are no specific ones of those species by those names (except Shy Guy, there is white shy guy in Yoshi's story)

My two cent take it or leave it.
I'll leave it thanks.

Top Bottom