• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

Iggy K

Smash Ace
...So you're calling people childish because they like Toad while you don't? There have been many good reasons why he should be in throughout this thread, maybe you should actually read most of it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You name better Mario characters then Geno and Toad, Uncle Kenny. Come on, try it.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
B: Toad lobs a tennis ball upwards and then pulls out his racket. Pressing B again makes Toad swing his racket. If you press it at the right time the racket will hit the falling ball, sending it extemely fast like a missle in a straight path. Ball can have knockback at medium to high percentages on an oppenent. (If any other button is pressed other then B while the ball is in the air, Toad puts his racket away. Used for fake outs)

Toward B: Toads shoe thrusters turn on and sends him screaming forward (like when he uses the gold mushroom in MarioKart) as a trail of smoke follows. Toad pinwheels his arms and goes about as far as Falcon's kick. If he hits someone both Toad and the oppenent will bounce in opposite directions. Faster on ground then the air.

Up B: A magic carpet appears under Toad and he grabs the front edge. His face is a look of shock. He can freely travel in the air for three seconds. He can perform one air dodge while on his carpet.

Down B: Toad plucks a giant die from the ground. A press of A will throw it. The die rolls around, bouncing of walls or any oppenent for minor damage. When it stops it explodes. The size and ferocity of the explosion depends on the number facing the screen. 1 is a low blast and 6 is the largest with the biggest radius. Only one die from Toad can be on the stage at a time.
I made a picture to go with your specials

and my own super

The revenge of Wario's Woods: Creatures and bombs from Wario's Woods rain from the sky.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
lol xianfeng I love your drawings. and you have great special ideas. Smashboards wont let me give you any more rep right now but you get + cool points from me anyway.

bbb

Smash Champion
C!!! Ha, loser, I got an F! Anyways, I love Toad, probably because I have fond memories of games that he has taken part in. However I agree that Geno and Wario are cooler. :smash:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Toad sucks, and I don't get why everyone likes him/it. Are you all 10 year olds or something? But seriously, why does everyone care for him so much? I almost had a heart attack when I saw that someone wanted him more than Geno and Wario. The only cool toad was the Master from Paper Mario. Now I can live with him in Brawl but I would hate to see regular toad in it. Give me a good reason he should be in and I might change my mind. And don't say he is Nintendo or he is a cool Mario character because I can name several cooler Mario characters and Nintendo characters.
Haha now let's be reasonable. You're going to insult our collective character preference by insinuating that our tastes are childish? Come, come, dear Uncle. You're on a Nintendo-themed forum. Let's not kid ourselves - Nintendo has always been a tad more kid-oriented. Cartoony characters, slapstick-esque humor, etc. (granted, not in every game, but there are certain Nintendo conventions that carry through). So don't try to talk down to us for liking Toad. Sure, he is probably one of the most, if not the most, kid-friendly Mario characters.

But for the fans (at least on these boards) most of our love for him comes from the nostalgic qualities he possesses (okay, feel free to laugh). I just have lots of great gaming memories with Toad. I remember playing SMB2 and always picking Toad before I even knew that he was pretty much the best choice. I remember how funny it was watching the retainers in SMB3 do their funny "dances" of agony - not the Toad, but humorous nonetheless. Wario's Woods - 'nuff said. I remember picking Toad in Mario Kart 64 for the first time and thinking his voice was so funny; I then continued to beat all my friends in the race. I remember dominating in Mario Tennis with none other than the baddest mushroom around - Toad. :cool: I remember playing Mario Party and loving his unintelligible shouts as the starkeeper. And so on. Plus I like Toad just because I think it's comical just to see him run around in a hustle. :chuckle:

So it's not like Pit is the only character that fans can look back on fondly. Don't underestimate one character just because you think he/she/it is too "kiddie." (And I know you never came out and said it, but the implication was clear. :) )

Maverick69

Smash Ace
Hey, nothing to laugh at. Every real gamer has a character, a game, a song, what have you, that sends them reeling back to childhood. Reminiscing of the first time tey beat a game.

And I know what you mean, I've been picking toad in every game he was available.

PS - I think Geno > Toad > Wario.

Just my opinion.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Sorry I said it was childish to like Toad but I just don't see him as a fighter that's all. And I wasn't saying I could name a better Mario character than Geno I was talking about Toad. Well dang, someone probbably dereped me already.... Meh, but seriously, how can you see Toad as a fighter?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
So some people want Toad in because he's nostalgic?

Geno, Little Mac, Pit, Takamaru, and some others I don't care to name.

Maverick69

Smash Ace

Whoa look at that! Toad killing a shyguy! Not exactly brawling but he IS fighting.

Plus with him being in Wario's woods he could use bombs or little animals.

Movelists have alredy been set up using toad.

Just look back through the posts (or at xianfeng's drawings) if you wanna see how he would fight..

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I still like the Master more. He was technically a toad and he had that cool transformation were he had a flame around him like Goku. Note: I said LIKE not AS POWERFUL AS so don't flame me. And I do agree that I came on a little strong about Toad sucking I am not usually like that. I would still prefer to see other characters before him but I wouldn't mind seeing him either, as long as he doesn't take Geno's spot.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Hahah oh no don't feel bad. I understand how it is to make sure that "your" character gets in before another. Like when it comes down to Mario, I still prefer Toad to all others, but Geno would be pretty sweet. Just as long as it's not PETEY EFFING PIRANHA, then I'm probably satisfied. >=(

As for fighting, he has options. I mean, SMB2 in and of itself is reason enough. But he has all the items/suits in the houses in SMB3, the bombs in WW, the "infamous bazooka" from SMRPG, hot kart action in the Mario Kart series (and his Golden Mushroom special), stars from SM64 and the MP series, his hammer from MP3 (the "pick-a-partner" board game), his tennis racquet from Mario Tennis (skillz included), etc. So options aplenty for Brawl Toad. =)

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Toad was. In SMRPG, this alligator guy named Croco ran off with stolen stuff and when Mario asked Toad why he didn't stop him, Toad just said and I quote,"because I left my bazooka at home." He was being sarcastic.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
lol That's why I said infamous. It would make for a humorous inside joke if they equipped him with one in Brawl. =)

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Toad is my sex in a pan I don't care what you say I like the music.

Some one said something like that on another forum I go on but about a member there so I felt it was appropriate for here.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Haha well I'm glad that you feel so strongly! Glad to have someone to vehemently pro-Toad. =)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Haha Toad should be able to randomly pull out a POW block for his Down B, along with assorted Shyguys, Snifits, carrots, pumpkins, onions, etc. =)

Maverick69

Smash Ace
no toad cant pull out shyguys cuz i'm still supporting shyguy as a playable brawl character. lol.

but yea toad pullin g out pow blocks and stuff is cool... although it does bring him dangerously close to being a peach clone.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Well they both got their playable claim to fame from the same game, so references to the same game is understandable. Not so much a clone, but similar...kind of like Mario and Luigi. They have a few similar moves, but very different styles and mostly different moves. Toad's Down B wouldn't be an exact Peach rip, but he would still pull stuff up. And if they want to throw in Shy Guy, it's fine as long as it's after Toad. =)

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well they both got their playable claim to fame from the same game, so references to the same game is understandable. Not so much a clone, but similar...kind of like Mario and Luigi. They have a few similar moves, but very different styles and mostly different moves. Toad's Down B wouldn't be an exact Peach rip, but he would still pull stuff up. And if they want to throw in Shy Guy, it's fine as long as it's after Toad. =)
Very VERY different. Toad would only have one move in common with Peach, if they even decided to include a move like that for him.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Haha neither do I, but I do think that a similar Down B would be appropriate. =)

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. I came up with a moveset for Luigi that was vastly different from Mario's, but in my fantasy world, he'd still retain a fireball move, that wy they still have a connection because of their common background. Yoshi and Bowser have one similar move, as well. Their VB, I believe.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
That's not actually related to their common background, though. Yoshi's comes from his ground pound in Yoshi's Story, while Bowser's dates all the way back to the final battle of SMB3.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
That's not actually related to their common background, though. Yoshi's comes from his ground pound in Yoshi's Story, while Bowser's dates all the way back to the final battle of SMB3.
Not my point. In fact, it bolsters my point. My point was that one similar move does not a clone make. If the similar move was a coincidence and no one screams 'Yoshi clone!' at Bowser, then I think Toad could pull something out of the ground and not be a Peach clone. Especially if what Toad pulls out of the ground (a shyguy) move around like a damaging mister saturn or goomba, while Peach's turnips do not.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Haha ohh no I get what you mean, and I agree, I was just saying that they weren't related. =)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Toad needs to have his uber strength too... That would be awesome, to have such a small, light character with power rivaling DK's.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Ahh that's exactly what I'm saying! Quick, small, strong, light - just no jump at all lol. =)

And that setup would work well with a >B inspired by his Golden Mushroom MK Special...at least he'd have okay horizontal recovery.

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
Toad does deserve to be in Brawl more than any Mario character. And I thought of the Mario Party attack of throwing a star a long time ago and think that it is a good idea. I also think that if you throw the star at an ally, it should heal them.

Top Bottom