• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

DokturSea

Smash Lord
What are you people talking about? I didn't make a mistake and put Mewtwos instead of Jigglypuffs. I fail to see where it says "Mewtwo" in my posts.

>>

<<

*cough*

to zombie: Um, please point me to the game where Zelda was the main character. And Falco. And Ganondorf. And Bowser.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
Sword Wielders Axe Wielders Lance Wielders... wow.... nice identity.

(alright I know they actually have more than that but still. There are dozens of FE characters.)

I'd rrather play as Toad than Roy that's for sure.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
Sword Wielders Axe Wielders Lance Wielders... wow.... nice identity.

(alright I know they actually have more than that but still. There are dozens of FE characters.)

I'd rrather play as Toad than Roy that's for sure.
There might be a lot of Fire Emblem characters but they all have seperate names and personalities. The toads all have the same personality and are all called Toad. Roy could take Toad out in one slash of his sword anyway.

tirkaro

Smash Champion

I guess I must have dreamed him throwing that Shyguy if he's a non-fighting character.
funny you say that, because toad could only actualy fight in subcon, which was actualy a dreamland.

no toad for SSBB. he isn't deserving at all. I like him slightly, but he is no SSB material. rather put in waluigi than him.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
There might be a lot of Fire Emblem characters but they all have seperate names and personalities. The toads all have the same personality and are all called Toad. Roy could take Toad out in one slash of his sword anyway.
Technically Toad is one specific mushroom head, but still they do all look the same.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
funny you say that, because toad could only actualy fight in subcon, which was actualy a dreamland.

no toad for SSBB. he isn't deserving at all. I like him slightly, but he is no SSB material. rather put in waluigi than him.
Well then YOU, sir...

Can go sit in the hallway.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
OK...time for a moveset. I spent a lot of time on this moveset. Soooo...yeah.

B - Shy Guy: Toad swings his arm back, a Shy Guy in hand. The longer you hold B, the farther the Shy Guy will go when B is released. Once released, if it misses, it will run rapidly back and forth. If someone touches it, or is directly hit by it when Toad throws it, the Shy Guy rapidly punches the foe, doing substantial damage. A great move for messing up a foe's recovery.

Side B - I honestly don't know. Any suggestions?

Down B - Bomb Shower: Taken from Wario's Woods. Toad twirls, makes a peace sign, and says "YEEEHAAAAH!" as diffrent colored Bombs fall from the sky and land on either side of him. If Toad is in the air and moving forward in it, this move will make him stop moving completely and fall slowly. Toad cannot be hurt by his own bombs.

Up B - Golden Mushroom. Toad quickly whips out a Golden Mushroom. like from Mario Kart, and throws it, causing him to sky rocket upwards at a slight angle. Has somewhat good horizantal recovery and excellent verticle.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
Didn't your mother tell you that it isn't polite to insult people you've never met?

Or that saying you're smarter than people doesn't make it so?

Or that your opinion is no more important than anyone else's?

Also, she obviously never told you that questions should be ended witha question mark.

-------------

Ok that's enough of that.

Also, toad is a specific mushroom head, but they are not all called toad. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, any game where you see multiple "toads" they either have no name or are specifically named.

For example, in Paper Mario the toads have n,ames such as Russ T., Miss T., etc.

Anytime it's just a generic toad talking to you they dont give him a name.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Didn't your mother tell you that it isn't polite to insult people you've never met?

Or that saying you're smarter than people doesn't make it so?

Or that your opinion is no more important than anyone else's?

Also, she obviously never told you that questions should be ended witha question mark.

-------------

Ok that's enough of that.

Also, toad is a specific mushroom head, but they are not all called toad. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, any game where you see multiple "toads" they either have no name or are specifically named.

For example, in Paper Mario the toads have n,ames such as Russ T., Miss T., etc.

Anytime it's just a generic toad talking to you they dont give him a name.
Obviously I'm smarter than you his comment wasn't even directed towards me it was directed towards Tirkaro.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
ok, so you did something that makes even less sense. You said someone you've never met was smarter than someone else you've never met.... bravo.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
ok now you're saying that his opinion makes him smarter.

If it's someone's opinion that Toad WOULD make a good character, what makes them any less intelligent than someone who disagrees.

Your only point is that because someone agrees with you they are smarter than someone who disagrees.

I understand calling someone unintelligent if they come in and go "Oh yea Toad is teh RoXorZ! I will pwn j00 all with my 1337 Mushrooom head skillz!"

but other than that, opinion is no indication of intelligence.

Iggy K

Smash Ace

Is Wario's woods non-existrant to you? And Zombie and Dweller, how many Links have we had? And if you diiot's would bother to do actuallu know what you're talking about instead of making dumb comments, you'd be smart enough to realise that Toad has his own game, Wario's Woods, but I guess being smart is to much to ask from you, and there has been a specific Toad, so all your generic arguments also mean we should get rid of Pika, Jiggs, Yoshi and Link, so all your arguments wrong, post something worth reading and just stop being ******** trolls.

bbb

Smash Champion
Oh yea Toad is teh RoXorZ! I will pwn j00 all with my 1337 Mushrooom head skillz!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Didn't your mother tell you it isn't polite to point to people who are smarter then you.
Didn't you ever learn that you use "than" - that's t-h-a-n - when comparing/contrasting two separate entities, and that "then" - that's t-h-e-n - is used to segue into the next event in a sequence? (Normally I wouldn't get all nitpicky on you, but since you pulled the smarter card, you had it coming).

Haha, and I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that TBD and zombie are like the "ZOMG FE is t3h rox0rz!" team, putting FE characters above all other characters (because they are apparently all inadequate). If we're going to talk about how Toad is not a singular Mushroom Kingdom inhabitant, then explain the dichotomy and get our collective facts straight - Toad (singular) refers to the most prominent shroom-headed denizen of the Kingdom, first seen (and playable) in Super Mario USA / Super Mario Bros. 2, while Toads (plural) refer to the generic race seen in many a game. Toad's most notable appearances are SMB2, Mario Party (as the host / playable character in varying games throughout the series), and Wario's Woods. He has had other playable appearances (Mario Kart and Mario Tennis come to mind), but the aforementioned three are the ones where he was most prominently featured.

So it's not the fact that we would prefer Toad over other generic (opinion) FE characters because of their general aesthetic and therefore similar playstyles -- it's because there are other, more original and nostalgic characters to include over those from FE. Little Mac and DeDeDe come to mind (although DeDeDe's overall originality is a bit questionable), and many of us feel that Toad has similar classic Nintendo qualities. Therefore, we (Toad supporters collectively) disagree with you.

=)

xianfeng

Smash Hero
The Toad that is being suggested I think first appeared in Super Mario Bros, he was the first Toad that you met hence why Mario drempt about him in Super Mario Bros 2. In Super Mario Bros 2 Toad showed off his strength and speed, nifty little guy. In Wario's Woods Toad was sent into Wario's woods where he got his rival Wario, he got his own game. In Super Mario Kart Toad was the fastest and best character he zipped up the track real fast, In Super Mario RPG Toad introduced himself at the start so Mario would know I suppose. In Super Mario 64 Toad becomes a little hazy because he has a family reunion, lots of Toads are seen in Peach's castle I decided that the real Toad was the one in the Aquarium it just seems like our little Toady. In Mario Party he became a store owner and sold you items and then returned in Mario Kart 64 as a great racer. In Luigi's Mansion Toad went in with Mario and saw him get kidnapped so he stayed in the foyer crying until Luigi came and comferted him, then in Super Mario Sunshine all the toads had different colour heads and Toad was the red one that handed Mario FLUDD back at the end. Mario Kart Double Dash saw the little guy in the Karts again and Mario Power Tennis, Mario: Golf Toadstool tour and Mario Superstar Baseball (As the red toad) saw him try out some new sports, he sat out in Super Mario Strikers but that didn;t stop his relatives from giving it a shot. In Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga Toad was the one who warned Mario about the princess' voice and was unfortunate enough to see mario in the buff, Toad did make a slight appearance in SSBM by running around in the background in Mushroom Kingdom and serving as Peach's shield (he wasn't about to let Toadsworth upstage him)

You see Toad is not Generic there is the Toad and I suppose that is the one being suggested.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
See, I always was under the assumption that the Toad(s) from SMB1 were just the generic Mushroom retainers. I could be mistaken, but since no single Toad of those was more important than the others, none of them were technically "the Toad."

Maverick69

Smash Ace
I applaud both of you for finally making sense of this whole topic.

I tried making my point as valid as possible but you two have surpassed me.

Aeris, I give you +rep for putte Dweller in his place, for your grammar knowledge, and for explaining the difference between toad and toads.

Xianfeng, you get +rep for your extensive toad research.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Oh, well thanks! I feel so special! I guess it helps to know a thing or two about Toad(s). Grammar skills never hurt, either. =)

xianfeng

Smash Hero
See, I always was under the assumption that the Toad(s) from SMB1 were just the generic Mushroom retainers. I could be mistaken, but since no single Toad of those was more important than the others, none of them were technically "the Toad."
I assumed the first one was because Mario had to dream about one of them and I would assume it would be the first one he saw / met.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
First off, as to his name predicament, it is important to note that in Japan, the species is refered to as "Mushroom People" while the specific person (Toad) is refered to as "Kinopio."

Also, officially (As in Instruction manuals in the USA) the species commonly referred to as "Toad" is actually just referred to as "Mushroom people" or "Mushroom retainers." Naming the entire race "Toad" is a Fan-created misnomer, and is tecnically incorrect. Their naming convention is very "Toad"-centric, which does purpetuate the fan misconception that the Species is called "Toad."

Heres his Wikipedia site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toad_(Nintendo)

So yes, Toad IS his own person.

Yes but Pikachu is one of the most popular characters and a main character in the series. He also has a title game. Yoshi has a title game also. Toad doesnt.
So just because Toad's solo game is not named after him, you want to exclude him? Oh! wow, then lets get rid of ALL the characters who don't have games named after them.

Lets see, Jigglypuff, Ness, Cap. Falcon, Falco, Fox (His game is named after his TEAM not after him, since you care about distinctions and loopholes so much), Ganondorf, Pichu, Young Link (There are only games that refer to plain Link, sorry), Bowser, Samus (And Zero suit Samus), Pit (Kid Icarus is a nonsense misnomer), Meta-Knight, and Mewtwo. You are all out.

The only characters you COULD include are Mario, Link (On a whopping one game technicality), Zelda(But not Sheik), Peach (Just barely, because of SPP), Yoshi, DK, Kirby, Pikachu, Wario, Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, and Luigi.

12 characters for Brawl, spanning 7 series', Joy of joys. :mad:

Need I repost the conclusion to my earlier Post? I shall:

myself said:
So, in conclusion:
He's got history
He's been important
He's nostalgic
He's got fans
He's got moves
He's got a rivalry with Wario

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
OK...time for a moveset. I spent a lot of time on this moveset. Soooo...yeah.

B - Shy Guy: Toad swings his arm back, a Shy Guy in hand. The longer you hold B, the farther the Shy Guy will go when B is released. Once released, if it misses, it will run rapidly back and forth. If someone touches it, or is directly hit by it when Toad throws it, the Shy Guy rapidly punches the foe, doing substantial damage. A great move for messing up a foe's recovery.

Side B - I honestly don't know. Any suggestions?

Down B - Bomb Shower: Taken from Wario's Woods. Toad twirls, makes a peace sign, and says "YEEEHAAAAH!" as diffrent colored Bombs fall from the sky and land on either side of him. If Toad is in the air and moving forward in it, this move will make him stop moving completely and fall slowly. Toad cannot be hurt by his own bombs.

Up B - Golden Mushroom. Toad quickly whips out a Golden Mushroom. like from Mario Kart, and throws it, causing him to sky rocket upwards at a slight angle. Has somewhat good horizantal recovery and excellent verticle.

For a side B, how about the carpet from SMB2, it could drag him forward like a quick little tackle, and you could control the path a little bit by moving up and down.

Also, he could have his brawl move be called Mario Party, Toad would open up a gift box, and out would fly confetti and fireworks, the fireworks would blast out in all directions and explode around Toad, making shapes like stars and bob-ombs, etc. The damage would vary based on what kind of firework hit you, and they would explode sporadically, so you would have to keep moving to avoid them.

I never thought about the gold mushroom as an up-b; I like it a lot! Maybe it'd be the only up-b you could use repeatedly:chuckle:

Maverick69

Smash Ace
let's not push it lol. I like the idea of putting toad in Brawl but toadette is just unecessary filler.

That'd be like making peach and daisy seperate characters for brawl.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
...But ins't Daisy different than Peach though? I mean Daisy is more of a tomboy than Peach and Daisy is the like..Peach for Luigi.
They are different in personality, but their attacks would be too similar. Also, we have enough Mario characters. If they want to add anymore from that franchise, they must be important. Daisy isn't.

Toad is. He's been around since (almost) the beginning. Geno is a cult favorite so he should be in too.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
They are different in personality, but their attacks would be too similar. Also, we have enough Mario characters. If they want to add anymore from that franchise, they must be important. Daisy isn't.

Toad is. He's been around since (almost) the beginning. Geno is a cult favorite so he should be in too.
Not really Diasy is stronger, a made a movelist for her in my Daisy thread revolving around Super Mario Strikers and Mario Super star Baseball and she doesn't slap she punches.

Toad and Wario are the only Mario characters I wanted before Brawl was announced (apart from Daisy but I never think she'll be in :() so now that Wario is confirmed here's hoping for Toad :p

I had an idea that maybe Toad and Toadette could be a team like the ICs kinda dumb I know but yeah.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
You complain about Diddy and dixie tag-team and then you suggest Toad-Toadette tag-team? Well, it could work, but Toadette seems more likely to be an alternate costume.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
You complain about Diddy and dixie tag-team and then you suggest Toad-Toadette tag-team? Well, it could work, but Toadette seems more likely to be an alternate costume.
Diddy and Dixie have different moves, Neither Toad nor Toadette have any moves so I feel it's justified.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Toad sucks, and I don't get why everyone likes him/it. Are you all 10 year olds or something? But seriously, why does everyone care for him so much? I almost had a heart attack when I saw that someone wanted him more than Geno and Wario. The only cool toad was the Master from Paper Mario. Now I can live with him in Brawl but I would hate to see regular toad in it. Give me a good reason he should be in and I might change my mind. And don't say he is Nintendo or he is a cool Mario character because I can name several cooler Mario characters and Nintendo characters.

Top Bottom