• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Spores could definitely play a role in things like aerials to extend hitboxes. I could see him having Zelda's Nair, for example but with spores instead of magic.
I can't see it being the main focus in any special except if it means Toad gets a move that inflicts the "Mushroom" effect to reverse the controls of opponents hit which isn't really a fitting effect for Toad.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
didnt he later uses spore in one of the tennis games? and to be fair smash has rarely been about proper representation

personally id prefer it if he used stuff from treasure tracker and power ups the others dont use
I think if you hit Toad with the tennis ball in Mario Tennis 64 he'd release a small puff of spores, unless you're referring to Mario Sports Mix(which may be my favourite Mario sports game of all time):

ToadSpecialMSM.png

Has anyone who's played Mario Tennis Aces noticed if Toad still releases spores if he gets body shot?

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
didnt he later uses spore in one of the tennis games? and to be fair smash has rarely been about proper representation

personally id prefer it if he used stuff from treasure tracker and power ups the others dont use
What page did I post that video on again...? Oh, what the heck, I'll just put it up again:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, all! :)

How likely do you guys think Captain Toad's chances as DLC are if he's not in the base roster? I know that a stage appearance can be easily modified compared to, say, a boss (Smash 4 Ridley) or assist trophy, but does it still negatively affect his chances?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think if you hit Toad with the tennis ball in Mario Tennis 64 he'd release a small puff of spores, unless you're referring to Mario Sports Mix(which may be my favourite Mario sports game of all time):

View attachment 169848

Has anyone who's played Mario Tennis Aces noticed if Toad still releases spores if he gets body shot?
i wasnt refering to any game in particular just something i recall reading

What page did I post that video on again...? Oh, what the heck, I'll just put it up again:

uh what's yoshiandtoad's video got to do with what i said?

How likely do you guys think Captain Toad's chances as DLC are if he's not in the base roster? I know that a stage appearance can be easily modified compared to, say, a boss (Smash 4 Ridley) or assist trophy, but does it still negatively affect his chances?
poor im sure sakurai is out to get us

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo

I think his spore ability was hinted at in the first Mario Tennis, but it wasn't until Mario Sports Mix that he used it as an offensive attack. Even then, I don't think it's made an appearance outside of these two games and the Smash series.

I think it'd be a cute move to have since it could reference his roles in the Smash games, but I wouldn't want that to be made a crucial part of his moveset. He's done much more interesting things than use spores.

As for DLC, I'd love to say he has a great chance, but I'm not feeling extremely optimistic. I honestly think a lot of it rides on the impact of the Treasure Tracker ports. Speaking of which, anyone know how well they did?

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman

While I won't say he's a "lock" or "shoo-in", I do think he has enough of a chance to be worth considering.

CaptainMapleSyrup

Smash Cadet

Yeah in tennis he used spores to grow giant mushrooms from the ground that blocked the other player from getting to the ball. But I agree - I’d prefer to get Captain Toad to keep him distinct from Peach’s Toad move. If the two moveset concepts could be combined, the spores that create bouncy mushrooms could be a way to compensate for Captain Toad’s lack of jumping ability.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
As for DLC, I'd love to say he has a great chance, but I'm not feeling extremely optimistic. I honestly think a lot of it rides on the impact of the Treasure Tracker ports. Speaking of which, anyone know how well they did?
Last I checked the Switch version had sold 122, 376 copies in Japan alone(acording to Gematsu; Link here. It was in the top 20 selling games for Japan until two weeks ago and that's across all platforms.

Upon launch, the Switch version sold almost twice as well as the Wii U version did in Japan for it's initial weeks although the same cannot be said about the 3DS version.

The 3DS version by all accounts has been a bit of a flop, particularly in America with a meager 0.01m sales recorded, although Japan and Europe have bought 5 and 3 times as many 3DS copies as America which is still pretty bad.

According to VGcharts(who aren't 100% accurate but the best data I have to work with unfortunately) Captain Toad for the Switch has sold 423,474 copies thus far.

Compared to other ports, Toad isn't doing as well as DK is but he seems to be beating Hyrule Warriors who had a similar Wii U/3DS/Switch triology in terms of the home games at least. The 3DS again is kind of a one sided slaughter...guess everyone who was interested went Switch?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Last I checked the Switch version had sold 122, 376 copies in Japan alone(acording to Gematsu; Link here. It was in the top 20 selling games for Japan until two weeks ago and that's across all platforms.

Upon launch, the Switch version sold almost twice as well as the Wii U version did in Japan for it's initial weeks although the same cannot be said about the 3DS version.

The 3DS version by all accounts has been a bit of a flop, particularly in America with a meager 0.01m sales recorded, although Japan and Europe have bought 5 and 3 times as many 3DS copies as America which is still pretty bad.

According to VGcharts(who aren't 100% accurate but the best data I have to work with unfortunately) Captain Toad for the Switch has sold 423,474 copies thus far.

Compared to other ports, Toad isn't doing as well as DK is but he seems to be beating Hyrule Warriors who had a similar Wii U/3DS/Switch triology in terms of the home games at least. The 3DS again is kind of a one sided slaughter...guess everyone who was interested went Switch?
id say it cause the 3ds is at the end of the line pretty much, at least as far as the fans are concerned

still its great to see the switch one did well hopefully itll mean good things for the toad brigade

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
...And now, for your reading pleasure: a late response.

Any My Hero Academia fans amongst us? Last week's manga chapter reminded me of a certain dynamic.
:demon:NO SPOILERS!
Should really be catching up on the latest 3 anime episodes, come to think of it...

On that note, how would you feel if Toad ever gets in and he uses Sakurai's invention of the mushroom spore ability? Do you think spores are good for Toad that seperate him from everyone else or feel it's poor representation of the Mario series?
I'd love to see a nice balance of the two. A portion of attacks n' tilts & Two specials using power-ups/items from Captain Toad/Wario's Woods/etc., the other 2 specials & attacks expanding on Toad's "spore-kinesis"(?). I always thought that was such a cool side of Toad that was never used to it's full potential.

Unpopular opinion, I'm sure, but if people are okay with Luigi becoming a human missile, DK spinning like a helicopter & Peach/Daisy using their butts as battering rams, then surely there's no harm in letting Toad have emphasized use of a unique ability he's actually done in a Mario title, even if it was only once or twice.

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
He doesn't release spores directly to my knowledge; however, I do remember that for his offensive check move in hockey, he would sprout a miniature mushroom to blast enemies backwards at any time. It was an interesting ability since he was able to sprout mushrooms like this very quickly. Spores seemed to be more of decorative aspect of his abilities as they did burst out whenever the shrooms were used (both for this check ability and for his special shot).

https://youtu.be/FDY6T1vJYuY?t=185 (around 03:05 for this hockey ability for those curious)

EDIT: (whoops - realized you were speaking of Mario Tennis Aces, not Sport Mix at the last second 0.o - to my knowledge, he doesn't seem to release spores in Aces sadly. It's a shame how lackluster his special shot is...would have been nice to have him jump on shrooms akin to Toadette or even how his bouncy shrooms worked in Sports Mix).

I can only make an educated guess, but I feel like the SNES version suffers from the fact that it never got a proper release in Japan, so they just use the NES version for everything.
That's a shame, I feared something like this was the culprit to SNES Wario's Woods being left behind. Absolutely loved WW for SNES with its very colourful atmosphere, characters, and being one of the earliest games we even heard Toad talk ("Cool!"). If only we can see these characters return once again alongside our little Toad being the star. Both versions had quite a large amount of differences (especially the boss fights).

Also nice findings of those Wario's Woods references! Always super nice to see more acknowledgements to this game, reminds me of how super catchy some of the original tunes were (both versions included!).

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
That's a shame, I feared something like this was the culprit to SNES Wario's Woods being left behind. Absolutely loved WW for SNES with its very colourful atmosphere, characters, and being one of the earliest games we even heard Toad talk ("Cool!"). If only we can see these characters return once again alongside our little Toad being the star. Both versions had quite a large amount of differences (especially the boss fights).

It is a massive shame that SNES Wario's Woods is stuck in such a limbo and it's not even the only the example of this.

Dr.Mario 64 was released in Japan via the Nintendo Puzzle Collection, but not the original N64 version, so that game never sees any new releases either. I think Nintendo might also feel that the NES version is enough, which is especially bad because Dr.Mario 64 for my money, is the best game in the series because it has Wario Land characters it actually made an effort to move the series forward by introducing a lot of new modes and putting a lot of focus on the VS aspect of the game, right down to including a story mode, which lend the game much charm and personality.

Nintendo did warm up to the idea of multiple versions of the same game on the Virtual Console, if Super Mario Bros Deluxe and the Super Mario Advance series are any indication and games finally getting their first release in certain countries via the VC happened several times. So one has to wonder if SNES Wario's Woods and Dr.Mario 64 would have gotten their dues, if the Wii U lasted longer and the release pace for the VC wasn't so painfully slow, because the games being on the japanese VC would have taken any excuses to do nothing with them.

I'm a puzzle game fan, so that really does legit matter to me.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Here's a really bizarre question...what do you guys think about the Blue Toad from SM3DW? If Captain Toad isn't happening with his stage cameo and normal Toad is still a part of Peach's moveset, then does he have a chance? He is the only playable character from that game that isn't playable already.

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Here's a really bizarre question...what do you guys think about the Blue Toad from SM3DW? If Captain Toad isn't happening with his stage cameo and normal Toad is still a part of Peach's moveset, then does he have a chance? He is the only playable character from that game that isn't playable already.

Sadly Daisy appears to have Blue Toad as a part of her moveset. It's like Sakurai went out of his way to take down every possible Toad option. :( It really makes little sense as Toads have little connection to Daisy. Her being Peach's echo is the only reason for such a dilemma and for some reason...Sakurai chose Blue Toad.

But I wouldn't object to Blue Toad - he's always been my favourite in NSMB Wii while I'd constantly pick Toad in SM3DW. Though I think either having classic Toad or Captain Toad play the role as the main Toad representative would be better for Smash as the first is very iconic in design and is the Toad that is most often featured in most games playable (including spinoffs) while the Captain is a more distinguished character (that still has a very close look and personality to the original Toad).

It's a shame as in a game full of Samus, Bayonettas, Ganondorfs, Sonics ....I honestly just want to play Toad! D: This is what stings the most as while I have nothing against Rosalina/Geno (if he happens this time) fans, it really does hurt to see Toad being passed over each time despite being a platformer hero several times over the years and even featuring in two of Nintendo's own games as well as the main protagonist. Toad was even one of the four base characters in SM3DW; yet, the unlockable character gets the Smash slot instead. :confused:

It is a massive shame that SNES Wario's Woods is stuck in such a limbo and it's not even the only the example of this.

Dr.Mario 64 was released in Japan via the Nintendo Puzzle Collection, but not the original N64 version, so that game never sees any new releases either. I think Nintendo might also feel that the NES version is enough, which is especially bad because Dr.Mario 64 for my money, is the best game in the series because it has Wario Land characters it actually made an effort to move the series forward by introducing a lot of new modes and putting a lot of focus on the VS aspect of the game, right down to including a story mode, which lend the game much charm and personality.

Nintendo did warm up to the idea of multiple versions of the same game on the Virtual Console, if Super Mario Bros Deluxe and the Super Mario Advance series are any indication and games finally getting their first release in certain countries via the VC happened several times. So one has to wonder if SNES Wario's Woods and Dr.Mario 64 would have gotten their dues, if the Wii U lasted longer and the release pace for the VC wasn't so painfully slow, because the games being on the japanese VC would have taken any excuses to do nothing with them.

I'm a puzzle game fan, so that really does legit matter to me.
I feel you - Wario's Woods was one of the earliest puzzle games that I played, and I absolutely fell in love with it. It was simple; yet, was very different especially with its bosses. I remember finding out about a SNES version and I completely fell in love with its bright and colourful cast of characters! It was like a dream seeing everything in the original WW come to life!

Perhaps a remake in the future might be reaching too far...however, I hope more people take notice of this little gem on the Switch online release as well. Another big reason as to why I want to see Toad have references to WW in Smash tbh. Even seeing Toad make a big victory sign for his victory screen in Smash would be amazing as a reference!

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
^I'm tellin ya', they shoulda' had a Sarasaland enemy there. It's like they were barely trying with that particular move.
Between this & his axe from NSMBU-DX, Ol' Bucken-berrys' had it rough lately, huh?

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I feel you - Wario's Woods was one of the earliest puzzle games that I played, and I absolutely fell in love with it. It was simple; yet, was very different especially with its bosses. I remember finding out about a SNES version and I completely fell in love with its bright and colourful cast of characters! It was like a dream seeing everything in the original WW come to life!

Perhaps a remake in the future might be reaching too far...however, I hope more people take notice of this little gem on the Switch online release as well. Another big reason as to why I want to see Toad have references to WW in Smash tbh. Even seeing Toad make a big victory sign for his victory screen in Smash would be amazing as a reference!

I'd actually argue that Wario's Woods has already slowly been crawling it's way up to be less obscure, if nothing else people seem more aware of it nowadays. For what it's worth I was quite surprised to see two new pieces of fan art for Sarissa come up on Tumblr, in the last three weeks, but that might have been aided by me not shutting up about the game on my Wario blog.

I feel like whether or not we will ever see a new Wario's Woods or at least a remake entirely depends on whether or not Nintendo wants to do it, because they have certainly been showing a lot of good will towards the game in the past years and Nintendo tends to just go with whatever they feel like doing.

Also I have to say, for being such an overlooked game Wario's Woods has a pretty surprising legacy. Beyond the NES and SNES versions it also has two Satellaview versions, two manga adaptations, a Brain Age minigame and it was also featured in Animal Crossing, NES Remix 2 and amiibo Tap.

That's quite impressive, if I do say so myself.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I'd say it's 50/50, considering that the Ultimate site makers seemingly are hoping no one notices the quick Captain cameo that hasn't been brought up.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was just thinking of thus. Not sure how we can pitch the question but unlike Ridley we never got any interviewer asking.
This. At least Waluigi has Sakurai acknowledging fan demand for him. But Toad? He has nothing. His own games and his major roles in recent games since 2009 weren't good enough in Sakurai's eyes.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This. At least Waluigi has Sakurai acknowledging fan demand for him. But Toad? He has nothing. His own games and his major roles in recent games since 2009 weren't good enough in Sakurai's eyes.
sometimes i think once sakurai has made up his mind about something he never changes it and as a result he thinks nothing of toad beyond telling mario "the princess is in another castle"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Counterpoint; Ganondorf being a Captain Falcon clone for years and years despite outcry from fans about why making one of the biggest Nintendo villains of all time into a racing car drivers fat clone was kind of an insult.

Still, he's now added a sword after three games. Good work.
The point is, only a fool doesn't change his mind, but no one knows when someone could change their mind.

D

Deleted member

What if he had a tag team mechanic with Toadette?

Now that the Ice Climbers are back, it won't be hard to program.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Have we ever had any proof of him thinking that kind of thing? The closest we got to that is him pretty much saying "Waluigi tries, but he's not lucky this time".
no but you cant blame us for being pessimistic as less important mario characters like doc and daisy keep getting in instead

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You just had to rub it in, didn’t you...
Sorry...:urg:

Still though, things might finally look up for most of the people on this board. We just need to believe that the Smash staff simply never had the thought of including certain characters occur to them.

I blame Miyamoto for trying to shove Toads everywhere to the point that people don't think much of them.

Last edited:

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I've ever seen a character support thread so utterly convinced both Sakurai and Nintendo hates their character with a burning passion (except post-Pyrosphere Ridley fans maybe). I'm not trying to demean the supporters or anything, but hot damn.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think I've ever seen a character support thread so utterly convinced both Sakurai and Nintendo hates their character with a burning passion (except post-Pyrosphere Ridley fans maybe). I'm not trying to demean the supporters or anything, but hot damn.
no we think sakurai hates toad and the rest of nintendo loves toad

Top Bottom