• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We are now reopening the Captain Toad thread. We want to encourage the thread to be welcoming of other opinions and engage in constructive and healthy debates. Reporting does help the staff know where problems need to be addressed; especially given the number of available staff compared to the number of active users, threads, and posts. It’s always best to report than participate when issues arise. Thanks and hopefully Captain Toad can one day wield his Super Pickax in battle!

Dan

Smash Lord
I COULD see Captain Toad being the final fighter (hopefully of just this pass). It isn't the newest IP, but Nintendo does seem to push new characters of theirs for this DLC. If not Dragaux or a Pokemon, and if first party, I think Captain Toad may be one of the top possibilities.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they end on a new Pokémon that I don't even know, and that's gonna disappoint the hell out of me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What is this game of which you speak? It is reminding me of that Mortal Kombat Kart minigame... which I swear was a real thing...right?
Kart Fighter is basically a bootleg game for the... NES, I believe? That or SNES. It's just the Super Mario Kart characters given the Street Fighter II abilities. So exactly 8 characters. It's so bad that Luigi is called Green Mario. On the other hand, Luigi has a flying kick, not too unlike his actual Side B. Fun coincidence, mind you.

I'll need to look into it, as I said before.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
remember this is a support thread for both cap and the toad so when it comes to stage ideas you dont have to restrict yourself to just TT levels. i would suggest a mario party stage but after his demotion it may no longer be appropriate

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
remember this is a support thread for both cap and the toad so when it comes to stage ideas you dont have to restrict yourself to just TT levels. i would suggest a mario party stage but after his demotion it may no longer be appropriate
I do think a Treasure Tracker Stage would be cool, that could rotate and change the layout of battle?
A Wario’s Woods Stage would be cool, but I’m not exactly sure what it could be? Something similar to the original game would probably be really boring… but if it’s drastically different from the game it may not even be recognized as Wario’s Woods.

I also love the idea of a Blizzard on the Star Express level!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If we're talking classic Toad levels, tbh what I'd like most is one based on Wario's Woods, inside a giant tree.

The blast zone would only be the upper half, as the sides would be fitted with thick wood, causing smashers to bounce and ricochet off the sides.

Have monsters and bombs appear as throwable items from above when hazards are on and we're golden. We'd need to remove the huge Thwomp at the top though or there'd be no blast zone...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
these stage ideas are good. i would have suggested a board from MP5 the first one he was playable in but again the whole demotion thing. perhaps toad town would be a good stage featuring cameos from all kinds of toads. at a push we could just fight on top of a bunch of starshrroms

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If we're talking classic Toad levels, tbh what I'd like most is one based on Wario's Woods, inside a giant tree.

The blast zone would only be the upper half, as the sides would be fitted with thick wood, causing smashers to bounce and ricochet off the sides.

Have monsters and bombs appear as throwable items from above when hazards are on and we're golden. We'd need to remove the huge Thwomp at the top though or there'd be no blast zone...
I really enjoy this idea.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
these stage ideas are good. i would have suggested a board from MP5 the first one he was playable in but again the whole demotion thing. perhaps toad town would be a good stage featuring cameos from all kinds of toads. at a push we could just fight on top of a bunch of starshrroms
I am totally down for a Toad Town Stage.
There are a lot Toad Town incarnations to play with. Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story, Origami King (although I never played Origami King so I don’t know how big of a space Toad Town is in that game)
There is a lot of potential with that idea.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
do you mean to mimic the inability to jump or to mimic SMG's gravity?
To mimic the inability to jump.
I don't expect it, but it would add a fun variety to the stage lineup. We've already got stages that utilize other of the variations in gameplay- such as having fire/lave on the floor, icy floors, high wind, etc. I could see lowered jumping ability (the same as extra gravity, in this case), being another of the stage alts/ specialty Smash variations, which could come with a stage.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Alright brigade random question time: how do you think you’d react if wingo got in first?
"Ugh, are they just doing it on purpose at this point? Also, only a matter of time until certain people find an excuse to defend this while hypocritically complaining about "bias" in the roster."

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
"Ugh, are they just doing it on purpose at this point? Also, only a matter of time until certain people find an excuse to defend this while hypocritically complaining about "bias" in the roster."
You don't think there is bias in the roster? Over half of all Smash DLC ever comes from RPGs.

You don't think there is bias in the roster? Over half of all Smash DLC ever comes from RPGs.
-Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Corrin, Cloud (5 of Ultimate, with 2- Bayonnetta and Ryu, not being RPGs)-- Mewtwo can not count here, since Pokemon is an everything franchise.
  • Hero, Joker, Byleth (out of 6 in Pass 1, with Plant, Banjo, and Terry not being RPG)
  • Sephiroth, Pyra, Mythra (out of what we know in pass 2, as Pyra and Mythra are considered 2 characters...with Steve, Min Min, and Kazuya not being RPG)

That is a LOT

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Smash DLC
Why single out the DLC specifically? Fans of these characters had to pay to have them in Smash, while fans of other characters already have them in the base game.

The main point I was making is that Toad being passed over in favor of Wingo is just as "biased" as any of the things that people complain about.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
-Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Corrin, Cloud (5 of Ultimate, with 2- Bayonnetta and Ryu, not being RPGs)-- Mewtwo can not count here, since Pokemon is an everything franchise.
  • Hero, Joker, Byleth (out of 6 in Pass 1, with Plant, Banjo, and Terry not being RPG)
  • Sephiroth, Pyra, Mythra (out of what we know in pass 2, as Pyra and Mythra are considered 2 characters...with Steve, Min Min, and Kazuya not being RPG)

That is a LOT
and you were just telling someone else off for double posting

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...I don't even know who Wingo is.

But yeah, it sucks Toad has been passed over. He's honestly the big Nintendo character I feel is missing the most. There's a lot of great characters too, but he sticks out badly to me.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
...I don't even know who Wingo is.

But yeah, it sucks Toad has been passed over. He's honestly the big Nintendo character I feel is missing the most. There's a lot of great characters too, but he sticks out badly to me.
Wingo is the main antagonist of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.

He's the big black crow that kidnaps Toadette in the opening.

But I imagine your reaction there would be the most common one. There'd definitely be confusion why this barely known antagonist got in over the protagonist and well known character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wingo is the main antagonist of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.

He's the big black crow that kidnaps Toadette in the opening.

But I imagine your reaction there would be the most common one. There'd definitely be confusion why this barely known antagonist got in over the protagonist and well known character.
Ah. Never played it and barely saw a playthrough once. But to be fair, Captain Toad holds no real interest to me compared to Toad, so.

At the very least he's a main character in the game he's form, which doesn't mean much, but credit where credit's due.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Why single out the DLC specifically? Fans of these characters had to pay to have them in Smash, while fans of other characters already have them in the base game.
Because that is where they have specifically been, allegedly, "trying to target new audiences."

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Honerstly Bandana dee and Toad are the Weirdest exclusions to me!
Atleast Impa is somewhat less requested but i cant get behind their exlusion im pretty Sure sakurai bias has something to do with it!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honerstly Bandana dee and Toad are the Weirdest exclusions to me!
Atleast Impa is somewhat less requested but i cant get behind their exlusion im pretty Sure sakurai bias has something to do with it!
a fair number of us think that too. and i also believe fan demand doesnt matter as much as people think

Dan

Smash Lord
Fan demand doesn't matter at all other than them using the ballot for like four characters. Nintendo were oblivious to how badly people wanted K. Rool in.

I would even say it's even the opposite; that they try to subvert fan demand.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fan demand doesn't matter at all other than them using the ballot for like four characters. Nintendo were oblivious to how badly people wanted K. Rool in.

I would even say it's even the opposite that they try to subvert fan demand.
Not exactly 4, but for the most part, it isn't that heavy among the newcomers.

Ridley and K. Rool were ballot-based(so fan demand by design). This also applies to the Belmonts, and probably for Banjo & Kazooie and Daisy(there's little reason to add Daisy otherwise. She's nothing like Isabelle or Inkling who of course would have votes, but are major characters anyway). Dark Samus and Chrom were noted as fan demand picks(not necessarily from the ballot).

At most, it could be 10. That's still really damn small among the newcomers and seeing as how only one DLC can be decently attributed to fan demand, well... and you could stretch it with Terry or Steve if you wanted to, but they are not that obvious if it was the case. Steve is basically another Isabelle, obviously going to have lots of fans, but a major character who wasn't that hard to believe could get in. Sephiroth probably didn't get tons of votes due to a fan perception that 3rd party franchises could get one character. Richter being in was surprising enough(but being almost a palette swap in practice, well... it wasn't too odd after the reveal, especially the reason why both were there, for a moveset reason that we knew of. We later found out it was to also appeal to both the Western and Eastern fanbases). Ken being fairly unique for an Echo(with only Dr. Mario, the cloniest of the regular clones being slightly more unique overall) threw people for a loop too.

It's been insane.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not exactly 4, but for the most part, it isn't that heavy among the newcomers.

Ridley and K. Rool were ballot-based(so fan demand by design). This also applies to the Belmonts, and probably for Banjo & Kazooie and Daisy(there's little reason to add Daisy otherwise. She's nothing like Isabelle or Inkling who of course would have votes, but are major characters anyway). Dark Samus and Chrom were noted as fan demand picks(not necessarily from the ballot).

At most, it could be 10. That's still really damn small among the newcomers and seeing as how only one DLC can be decently attributed to fan demand, well... and you could stretch it with Terry or Steve if you wanted to, but they are not that obvious if it was the case. Steve is basically another Isabelle, obviously going to have lots of fans, but a major character who wasn't that hard to believe could get in. Sephiroth probably didn't get tons of votes due to a fan perception that 3rd party franchises could get one character. Richter being in was surprising enough(but being almost a palette swap in practice, well... it wasn't too odd after the reveal, especially the reason why both were there, for a moveset reason that we knew of. We later found out it was to also appeal to both the Western and Eastern fanbases). Ken being fairly unique for an Echo(with only Dr. Mario, the cloniest of the regular clones being slightly more unique overall) threw people for a loop too.

It's been insane.
it certainly has been. and theres still plenty of characters we dont know why he included them

Staarih

Smash Master
Toadette is being added to Mario Golf: Super Rush, alongside New Donk City:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

I spy with my little eye...a heap of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker references.

she wasnt in the base game?
Bizarrely no. Although she did have an official piece of artwork for the game standing besides Charging Chuck.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I spy with my little eye...a heap of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker references.

Bizarrely no. Although she did have an official piece of artwork for the game standing besides Charging Chuck.
first free character counts for something though

Laniv

Smash Champion

Definitely loving the Captain Toad references here

Dan

Smash Lord
I think she was ready and they purposely held her off to be a DLC character. She was a player in the clubhouse in the story mode.

Top Bottom