Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's a little unfortunate that this was basically the Captain Toad moveset I made. Minecarts, stage manipulation and pickaxes...ah well, at least it was feasible!

Also tbf Steve looks like the most interesting fighter to me from the whole damn FP so far, so that's something!
Well, it isn’t like Captain Toad would mine materials and craft weapons... and he wouldn’t have a gliding up special move. And I really really don’t think he would make ? blocks and brick blocks appear.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Ace
Is hand-to-hand combat or swordfighter more fitting for Toad? I've already scrapped my Toad movesets from last year. And when do Toads use their spore blast move in the Mario franchise?

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Is hand-to-hand combat or swordfighter more fitting for Toad? I've already scrapped my Toad movesets from last year. And when do Toads use their spore blast move in the Mario franchise?
I feel like a "Mario power-up" themed moveset is more fitting, but I suppose hand-to-hand combat should suffice. Toad's first uses of spores was in Mario Tennis 64, and its most recent appearance was in Mario Sports Mix, where he used spores to spawn mushrooms around him.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'd go for a mix of melee attacks, spore blasts, & spear jabs (not to the point that Bandana Dee becomes redundant, mind you).
Any power-ups or what have you can go to the specials.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, Toad has never used a sword as far as I know, so I'd recommend avoiding a 'sword' moveset. If you still want a weapon, he has used the following:

Super Pickaxe: Probably the most Toad associated 'weapon' thanks to it being an exclusive power up in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.
Hammers: Toad uses a hammer in Super Mario Maker 2, but games like Mario Kart Arcade also gave Toad a special power up called the Mushroom Hammer which he uses to knock any racer out of his way. Captain Toad also has the hammers as his power up item in Mario Kart Tour.
Bombs: Toad's main method of attacking in his first game as the protagonist; Wario's Woods. He's also used them occasionally in SMB2, his debut playable game. Builder Toad and Explorer Toadette both have bombs as their special items in Mario Kart Tour.
Power up suits: Probably one of the best known 'weapons' for Toad. Fire Flower, Propeller suit, Cat suit, Boomerang Bro suit, Tanooki suit, Flying Squirrel suit, Penguin suit...Toad has actually worn a lot of the best known power up suits in the series which have given him the powers of shooting fireballs, flight, climbing, boomerangs, floating(and presumably able to turn into a statue), gliding, and the ability to shoot ice balls respectively.
Vegetables: Peach already has this, but Toad can throw mega sized ones as he has done in SMB2 and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.
Boomerangs: Toad has donned the Boomerang Bro suit in Super Mario 3D World. Pit Stop Toad uses this as his special item in Mario Kart Tour. Rather low down on the associated list with Toad though.
Spears and shields: Never really actively seen using, but we've seen Toads holding spears and shields as part of the royal guard in both Super Mario Galaxy and the Paper Mario series. Spears tend to be more associated with Bandana Waddle Dee though.
Cannons: The Cannons are used in the Toad House games most notably in the New Super Mario Bros. series and tend to fire power ups, coins and tokens from them. Captain Toad has used turnip cannons in Treasure Tracker where he snipes enemies with turnips, and Builder Toad uses the bomb cannon(combining bombs and cannons) in Mario Kart Tour.
Bazooka: The Bazooka is never actually seen, but is a pretty memorable line from SMRPG where Toad says the reason he didn't stop Croco in SMRPG to Mario and Mallow. More of an informed weapon, but I included it for completions sake.

If none of those take your fancy:
Toad's Mii costume is a Brawler and his spirit battle has him as a hand to hand grappler type with lots of throws so that might be more fitting than a weapon based kit.

As for the spores, they're only really used in spinoff material, as Laniv said the first time we see it is Mario Tennis for the 64, followed by Smash Bros. Melee and then Mario Sports Mix on the Wii, Smash Bros. Brawl, Smash Bros. 4 and then lastly Smash Bros. Ultimate as the latest.

Arguably the mushroom powder from Mario Kart Arcade that he uses could count as 'spores' too.

I hope that helps.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This past month, I have been playing Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

I kinda want to see Toad get a new game that is like a Toad-only SMB2-style Metroidvania game. Toad could find equipment and weapons and become Captain Toad.

Top Bottom