• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's a little unfortunate that this was basically the Captain Toad moveset I made. Minecarts, stage manipulation and pickaxes...ah well, at least it was feasible!

Also tbf Steve looks like the most interesting fighter to me from the whole damn FP so far, so that's something!
Well, it isn’t like Captain Toad would mine materials and craft weapons... and he wouldn’t have a gliding up special move. And I really really don’t think he would make ? blocks and brick blocks appear.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Is hand-to-hand combat or swordfighter more fitting for Toad? I've already scrapped my Toad movesets from last year. And when do Toads use their spore blast move in the Mario franchise?

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Is hand-to-hand combat or swordfighter more fitting for Toad? I've already scrapped my Toad movesets from last year. And when do Toads use their spore blast move in the Mario franchise?
I feel like a "Mario power-up" themed moveset is more fitting, but I suppose hand-to-hand combat should suffice. Toad's first uses of spores was in Mario Tennis 64, and its most recent appearance was in Mario Sports Mix, where he used spores to spawn mushrooms around him.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'd go for a mix of melee attacks, spore blasts, & spear jabs (not to the point that Bandana Dee becomes redundant, mind you).
Any power-ups or what have you can go to the specials.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, Toad has never used a sword as far as I know, so I'd recommend avoiding a 'sword' moveset. If you still want a weapon, he has used the following:

Super Pickaxe: Probably the most Toad associated 'weapon' thanks to it being an exclusive power up in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.
Hammers: Toad uses a hammer in Super Mario Maker 2, but games like Mario Kart Arcade also gave Toad a special power up called the Mushroom Hammer which he uses to knock any racer out of his way. Captain Toad also has the hammers as his power up item in Mario Kart Tour.
Bombs: Toad's main method of attacking in his first game as the protagonist; Wario's Woods. He's also used them occasionally in SMB2, his debut playable game. Builder Toad and Explorer Toadette both have bombs as their special items in Mario Kart Tour.
Power up suits: Probably one of the best known 'weapons' for Toad. Fire Flower, Propeller suit, Cat suit, Boomerang Bro suit, Tanooki suit, Flying Squirrel suit, Penguin suit...Toad has actually worn a lot of the best known power up suits in the series which have given him the powers of shooting fireballs, flight, climbing, boomerangs, floating(and presumably able to turn into a statue), gliding, and the ability to shoot ice balls respectively.
Vegetables: Peach already has this, but Toad can throw mega sized ones as he has done in SMB2 and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.
Boomerangs: Toad has donned the Boomerang Bro suit in Super Mario 3D World. Pit Stop Toad uses this as his special item in Mario Kart Tour. Rather low down on the associated list with Toad though.
Spears and shields: Never really actively seen using, but we've seen Toads holding spears and shields as part of the royal guard in both Super Mario Galaxy and the Paper Mario series. Spears tend to be more associated with Bandana Waddle Dee though.
Cannons: The Cannons are used in the Toad House games most notably in the New Super Mario Bros. series and tend to fire power ups, coins and tokens from them. Captain Toad has used turnip cannons in Treasure Tracker where he snipes enemies with turnips, and Builder Toad uses the bomb cannon(combining bombs and cannons) in Mario Kart Tour.
Bazooka: The Bazooka is never actually seen, but is a pretty memorable line from SMRPG where Toad says the reason he didn't stop Croco in SMRPG to Mario and Mallow. More of an informed weapon, but I included it for completions sake.

If none of those take your fancy:
Toad's Mii costume is a Brawler and his spirit battle has him as a hand to hand grappler type with lots of throws so that might be more fitting than a weapon based kit.

As for the spores, they're only really used in spinoff material, as Laniv said the first time we see it is Mario Tennis for the 64, followed by Smash Bros. Melee and then Mario Sports Mix on the Wii, Smash Bros. Brawl, Smash Bros. 4 and then lastly Smash Bros. Ultimate as the latest.

Arguably the mushroom powder from Mario Kart Arcade that he uses could count as 'spores' too.

I hope that helps.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This past month, I have been playing Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

I kinda want to see Toad get a new game that is like a Toad-only SMB2-style Metroidvania game. Toad could find equipment and weapons and become Captain Toad.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
This past month, I have been playing Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

I kinda want to see Toad get a new game that is like a Toad-only SMB2-style Metroidvania game. Toad could find equipment and weapons and become Captain Toad.
I'd really like to see a new Captain Toad-game in the future. Bit missing his adventures by now.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Some brief Captain Toad news for you:

Mario Kart Tour.jpg

Captain Toad and Toadette (Explorer) are to be featured drivers in Mario Kart Tour alongside their minecart karts in the brand new "Sunset Tour" running from November 3rd to November 17th.

If you wanted to play as them but missed out when they were featured, you're in luck. This is only the second time they've been pullable drivers since their debut in the Exploration Tour back in July. I'm guessing the two will be part of the same pipe this time round allowing for twice as much chance as their debut to pull them.

Looking behind Shy Guy with the spade there seems to be a third explorer. My bet is either Peach(as she has the outfit in Odyssey) or Koopa Troopa(as they wore them in Paper Mario) with more of a leaning to the former.

I'd really like to see a new Captain Toad-game in the future. Bit missing his adventures by now.

I'm personally hoping that they at least readd the missing Wii U levels back upon 3D World + Bower's Fury release.

Heck...maybe we'll even get some brand new Captain Toad levels within Bowser's Fury. Maybe. Don't hold your breaths, but at the very least the Captain should be making a playable return in February!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Bit of a bump, but this might be interesting for my fellow UK Captain Toad fans:

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker 3DS is going on Argos for the insanely low clearance price of £3.99?!?

For that price I might as well complete my collection of all versions.
probably

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
you called it
120965727_361969471797124_17700853602781516_n.jpg

I certainly did.

Incidentally I just realised Nintendo changed this course from the previous version. Most likely due to racism issues with the native american Shy Guys.

For what it's worth, the course is gorgeous though. Toad and Toadette are in next week's pipe incidentally, Explorer Peach is this week's one, so if you want the Toad Brigade, hold off until next week!

I'm going to pull for Toadette next week as I already got the Captain, but if I have any left over I may get that Peach too. Nice set.

It's a shame Mario Kart Tour is kicking Smash's ass in characters I want to see playable. Between Captain Toad, Toad, Toadette and Dixie Kong, I'm getting more roster wish fulfillment from the gacha. D'oh!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's a shame Mario Kart Tour is kicking Smash's ass in characters I want to see playable. Between Captain Toad, Toad, Toadette and Dixie Kong, I'm getting more roster wish fulfillment from the gacha. D'oh!
well at least its something. i wouldnt get that though not just cause ive stopped with tour but i wanna see toad beat up ganondorf

of course thats just me. just enjoy what you can

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Toad's first uses of spores was in Mario Tennis 64, and its most recent appearance was in Mario Sports Mix, where he used spores to spawn mushrooms around him.
Was randomly scrolling through this thread and accidentally learned what that green stuff Toad spewed out in Peach's down b was. Spores apparently.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hi Brigade, I'm back with some Toad news:

Mario Kart Tour:
Just a reminder, Captain Toad and Toadette Explorer are in the Pipe THIS week in Mario Kart Tour. Also there are only four days left for them, so get in quick.

Managed to get all the minecarts, the map glider and max Captain Toad to level 6 but the RNG gods were not on my side for getting a single Toadette (Explorer), although I did score Peach Explorer whilst trying to get her. Win some, lose some.

Feel free to add me if you want greetings coins: 898957 307642

Adverts:
In other news, this has been doing the rounds as Nintendo's latest advert:
I'm not familiar with Awkwafina but hey, it's got people talking about Toad again!

Sales:
The latest sales figures from Nintendo were leaked for games breaking the 1 million units. Here's the ones related to and starring Toad:
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (NSW) -- 1.58m
Paper Mario: The Origami King -- 2.82 million
Mario Tennis Aces -- 3.29m
Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 5.21 million
Super Mario Maker 2 -- 5.89m
Luigi’s Mansion 3 -- 7.83 million
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe -- 8.32 million
Super Mario Party -- 12.10 million
Super Mario Odyssey -- 18.99 million
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe -- 28.99 million

Still no news on 3D World + Bowser's Fury. Considering the game was announced two months ago I expected at least one or two snippets of info on what Bowser's Fury is, but ce la vie.

Lenidem

Smash Lord

Mario Kart Tour:
Just a reminder, Captain Toad and Toadette Explorer are in the Pipe THIS week in Mario Kart Tour. Also there are only four days left for them, so get in quick.

Managed to get all the minecarts, the map glider and max Captain Toad to level 6 but the RNG gods were not on my side for getting a single Toadette (Explorer), although I did score Peach Explorer whilst trying to get her. Win some, lose some.

Adverts:
I'm not familiar with Awkwafina but hey, it's got people talking about Toad again!

Sales:
The latest sales figures from Nintendo were leaked for games breaking the 1 million units. Here's the ones related to and starring Toad:

Still no news on 3D World + Bowser's Fury. Considering the game was announced two months ago I expected at least one or two snippets of info on what Bowser's Fury is, but ce la vie.
Sorry, I know it is rude, but as a French teacher, I have to correct this: it's written "c'est la vie" ("c'est" meaning "that's", "that is").

Anyone knows who this Awkwafina is?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Mario Kart Tour:

Adverts:

Sales:

Thank you for sharing the Awkwafina video- I find her hilarious, and somehow missed her in a Nintendo commercial!

I hope this post gets us to the magical page 64!

I'm almost at the point where I don't even want Toad, I just want Captain Toad. It would be crazy to me for us to get anything else but the incredibly unique Captain.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sorry, I know it is rude, but as a French teacher, I have to correct this: it's written "c'est la vie" ("c'est" meaning "that's", "that is").

Anyone knows who this Awkwafina is?
Awkwafina is a comedian. She is popular in commercials (youtube her talking about a succulent and I dare you not to laugh). But she is also popular from the movie Crazy Rich Asians, from hosting SNL, and from just being all around likable.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kinda surprised about seeing MM2 getting somewhat outdone by ports here and there lately. I expected it to sell on a platform like Switch much more than MM1 was (Maybe I'm overlooking something...)

Pretty odd to me too - considering this is probably one of my most beloved Mario-games ever made, next to Galaxy 2. I really wanna see the new stuff they added on this game...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ha, it's not rude. Thanks for the correction. French was never my strong suit at school unfortunately. My class started learning it far too late for it to sink in and I've only used it once or twice in the past ten years so I'm very very rusty.

Pretty odd to me too - considering this is probably one of my most beloved Mario-games ever made, next to Galaxy 2. I really wanna see the new stuff they added on this game...
Always nice to see another 3D World fan. It's my absolute favourite Mario title to date.

I remember it getting blasted when it first came out as it wasn't "Galaxy 3" by some fans, but Mario seems to have adopted the Zelda cycle now with people looking back at it fondly whilst picking on Odyssey. Seems odd to me, Odyssey's a perfectly great game, but what can you do?

I'm personally really hoping Nintendo are generous and do an update to Treasure Tracker that unlocks the previously cut 3D World levels if you have 3D World + Bowser's Fury save data, but...well that's just me being hopeful.

In OTHER Mario related news:
Under Pressure

An update has been made to Super Mario 3D All Stars allowing players to play Sunshine with the Gamecube controller.
This patch also contained a few bug fixes and allows you to adjust the pressure of FLUDD as you once could back on the Cube. Of course to take full advantage you'll need both a Gamecube controller and the Gamecube controller adapter for Switch.

Personally, it's not enough to make me brave jumping back into Sunshine again after a particularly disasterous run of noclipping through platforms and the ground at one point, but it's nice that Nintendo are actually still making adjustments to the collection and are tackling some people's complaints.

It's certainly more effort that I was expecting after release.

Team Mario or Team Luigi?
The Captain Toad/Explorer Toadette event has ended in Mario Kart Tour, and been replaced with a versus race off between Team Mario and Team Luigi.

This is the most generous I've seen Tour with it giving 15,000 coins away thanks to a Twitter campaign's success(they only promised 10,000 originally) and the token shop including incredibly rare High End Tickets to level up characters, karts and gliders, a ton of rubies to pull in the pipes, 10,000 coins in the event shop(usually the max is 1,500) as well as giving you a free Mario or Luigi racer when you select a team to be on.

Click below to see who is on which team:
Teams.png

Looks like Toad and Toadette are split on this one.

This particular event might be to do with Mario Kart Live Circuit's release, or a coincidence but either way it looks like the winning team will be given a bunch of prizes upon winning. Might be worth it if you've ever been curious about the game, maybe not.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ha, it's not rude. Thanks for the correction. French was never my strong suit at school unfortunately. My class started learning it far too late for it to sink in and I've only used it once or twice in the past ten years so I'm very very rusty.

Always nice to see another 3D World fan. It's my absolute favourite Mario title to date.

I remember it getting blasted when it first came out as it wasn't "Galaxy 3" by some fans, but Mario seems to have adopted the Zelda cycle now with people looking back at it fondly whilst picking on Odyssey. Seems odd to me, Odyssey's a perfectly great game, but what can you do?
in my experience zelda fans love the games at first and then hate them later

must be due for everyone to turn on BotW

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's kinda weird to be aware of that even today - I remember the day on E3 where they revealed the trailer the first time - and it really filled me with this nostalgia-inducing glee that I could describe as "seeing Mario and his surreal, whimsy wonderland the first time, all over again."

And that was before seeing other playable characters shown... or seeing the 2nd trailer some months after. You can only imagine how much the game delivered in full when I got to play it.

To me I still regard the game more as Sonic Mania-esque celebration of all things Mario to that point, while bringing plenty new ideas to spin up some old ones, and tons of passion and love poured in every corner. Kinda bummed many people didn't seem to regard the game in similar sentiments - though I guess they got to appreciate 3D World in it's own merits - because there's ton of them, no doubt.

I'm personally really hoping Nintendo are generous and do an update to Treasure Tracker that unlocks the previously cut 3D World levels if you have 3D World + Bowser's Fury save data, but...well that's just me being hopeful.
I still have my Wii U to play the levels, but who knows, maybe we get something even better with say, some extra levels from the Bowser's Fury-portion...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To me I still regard the game more as Sonic Mania-esque celebration of all things Mario to that point, while bringing plenty new ideas to spin up some old ones, and tons of passion and love poured in every corner. Kinda bummed many people didn't seem to regard the game in similar sentiments - though I guess they got to appreciate 3D World in it's own merits - because there's ton of them, no doubt.
how were either of those games a celebration of things in their series? sonic mania was about the early games and theres a million mario things missing from the others

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Okay guys, this is just a rumour but thought it might be worth keeping an eye on:

Markomaro, whom I believe successfully leaked some of this years surprises seems to believe that Captain Toad has a sequel in production.

Take with a pinch of salt as the linked tweet lists a LOT of unannounced titles and it seems entirely too good to be true.

I can believe some of these were originally planned for this year before COVID struck and caused issues, but thought it was worth keeping an eye on as this is the second person I've seen mentioning a sequel now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay guys, this is just a rumour but thought it might be worth keeping an eye on:

Markomaro, whom I believe successfully leaked some of this years surprises seems to believe that Captain Toad has a sequel in production.

Take with a pinch of salt as the linked tweet lists a LOT of unannounced titles and it seems entirely too good to be true.

I can believe some of these were originally planned for this year before COVID struck and caused issues, but thought it was worth keeping an eye on as this is the second person I've seen mentioning a sequel now.
i wont get my hopes up

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
yoshiandtoad said:
Click below to see who is on which team:

Looks like Toad and Toadette are split on this one.

This particular event might be to do with Mario Kart Live Circuit's release, or a coincidence but either way it looks like the winning team will be given a bunch of prizes upon winning. Might be worth it if you've ever been curious about the game, maybe not.
I have issue with these teams.
Why does Luigi have two more than Mario? Just give Mario King Boo, who shouldn't be on Luigi's team anyway.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok what happened there. on of yoshiandtoad's posts was quoted and its coming up as me. did something glitch or did pup change it?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
ok what happened there. on of yoshiandtoad's posts was quoted and its coming up as me. did something glitch or did pup change it?
No idea. Am I a glitched user? We had similar issues over on the RTC thread too with my other post.

I have issue with these teams.
Why does Luigi have two more than Mario? Just give Mario King Boo, who shouldn't be on Luigi's team anyway.
Even with all the stacking against him Team Mario is currently winning. This is despite Team Luigi getting more retweets, having far more vocal support on Reddit and other gaming sites and just people seemingly liking Luigi more.

Luigi just can't win against Mario it seems.

Also whilst this isn't new, I found this pretty interesting, a bunch of unused objects and models found in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Showcases some potential gameplay ideas that were scrapped. Thought it might be worth a share:

Includes some Super Mario 3D World enemies, Link's Master Sword, and what appears to be some throwback levels to Super Mario 64? Interesting.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't know exactly what happened, but I manually edited it. Perhaps was something on my end.

No idea. Am I a glitched user? We had similar issues over on the RTC thread too with my other post.

Even with all the stacking against him Team Mario is currently winning. This is despite Team Luigi getting more retweets, having far more vocal support on Reddit and other gaming sites and just people seemingly liking Luigi more.

Luigi just can't win against Mario it seems.

Also whilst this isn't new, I found this pretty interesting, a bunch of unused objects and models found in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Showcases some potential gameplay ideas that were scrapped. Thought it might be worth a share:

Includes some Super Mario 3D World enemies, Link's Master Sword, and what appears to be some throwback levels to Super Mario 64? Interesting.
Wait though... what was the relevance of the tweet to a Captain Toad 2? I'd be quite happy to see that game get a sequel. Toad aside, it was an incredibly unique game.

Top Bottom