• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

rgflake

Smash Rookie
I love this conversation! I know I'm coming in late but have you guys seen this?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I love this conversation! I know I'm coming in late but have you guys seen this?

I love this! This is what I want in Smash!

Toads for Smash!

Instead of Toad vs Captain Toad debates, we should have them all in Smash.

Toad
Toadette
Toadsworth
Captain Toad
Red Toad
Blue Toad
Yellow Toad
Green Toad
Purple Toad

And they all share the same moveset. The moveset is a mix of SMB2 Toad, Blue & Yellow Toads, and Captain Toad.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I doubt they would put in Toadsworth, Nintendo seems to have forgotten that guy ever existed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I love this! This is what I want in Smash!

Toads for Smash!

Instead of Toad vs Captain Toad debates, we should have them all in Smash.

Toad
Toadette
Toadsworth
Captain Toad
Red Toad
Blue Toad
Yellow Toad
Green Toad
Purple Toad

And they all share the same moveset. The moveset is a mix of SMB2 Toad, Blue & Yellow Toads, and Captain Toad.
thats pretty much what i had in mind when i started this thread

only with every toad ever

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, well, well... Captain Toad finally got a new game for the 3DS and Switch. It is basically the same game as the Wii U but with new levels based on Super Mario Odyssey added in.

Oh, and Smash for Switch was finally announced!

Toad for Smash!
Captain Toad for Smash!
Toadette for Smash!
Toadsworth for Smash!
Toad Brigade for Smash!
Blue and Yellow Toads for Smash!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm just saying, not expecting Captain Toad is crazy at this point.
I really hope Captain Toad (with normal Toad as alternate costume) gets in.

And I want a trailer showing a playable Toad beating up Peach for all the abuse she subjected him to for years!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
im glad to see captain toad coming to switch and 3ds that new donk city level

i do hope they he'll make it into the new smash a treasure tracker stage would be nice to

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Toad's chances of becoming playable are now better than ever. The fact that they're porting Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on both the 3DS and the Switch shows how much faith Nintendo has in the game's marketability and it may even possibly paint the way for more Toad games in the future.

I'd like to see a stage based on Pyropuff Peak.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Captain Toad's not letting up at all with his presence - and I wouldn't be more happier! Don't mind getting the game again like I had on my Wii U.

Still, I don't wanna hold my breath yet, I think speculation days of last years have done bit too much on me to hop fully on supporting boats for long time being. But hey, if Captain Toad marches in actually...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Captain Toad 1.5 for Switch is a pleasant surprise. One of many today.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad's chances of becoming playable are now better than ever. The fact that they're porting Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on both the 3DS and the Switch shows how much faith Nintendo has in the game's marketability and it may even possibly paint the way for more Toad games in the future.

I'd like to see a stage based on Pyropuff Peak.
I really hope Toad finally gets in Smash.

Smash 4 and Super Mario 3D World were announced on the same day.

Now Smash 5 and Captain Toad port were announced on the same day.

It is like Toad got an 1-Up and now he has another chance!

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I am back on the support train for Captain Toad!!

Glad to be back! I'm excited to see everyone's ideas and speculation!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have some ideas for Toad...

Attributes

Toad would be a nimble fighter with high ground mobility. He'll also be treated as a lightweight fighter, but have more in common with Fox in that he falls quickly, and his jumping height is hindered by a high gravity value.

Palette Options

Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple

Fire Toad

Captain Toad

Toadette

Toadette would be available as an alternate palette option for Toad, having her own set of palettes as well. Seven of the palettes would use her typical outfit, while the 8th palette utilizes her outfit from Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

Outside of palettes, Toadette basically operates in exactly the same way as Toad.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad could have 16 alternate costumes and alternate characters like Little Mac and Bowser Jr.

1. Toad
  2. Red Toad (Mushroom Retainer)
  3. Blue Toad
  4. Yellow Toad
  5. Green Toad
  6. Purple Toad
  7. Captain Toad
  8. Hint Toad
  9. Yellow Toad (Toad Brigade)
  10. Bank Toad
  11. Mail Toad
  12. Toadette
  13. Toadette (Mario Kart Double Dash)
  14. Archivist Toadette
  15. Toadsworth
  16. Toadsworth the Younger

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Toad could have 16 alternate costumes and alternate characters like Little Mac and Bowser Jr.

1. Toad
  2. Red Toad (Mushroom Retainer)
  3. Blue Toad
  4. Yellow Toad
  5. Green Toad
  6. Purple Toad
  7. Captain Toad
  8. Hint Toad
  9. Yellow Toad (Toad Brigade)
  10. Bank Toad
  11. Mail Toad
  12. Toadette
  13. Toadette (Mario Kart Double Dash)
  14. Archivist Toadette
  15. Toadsworth
  16. Toadsworth the Younger
theres so many possibilities when you consider all the various toads there are

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really would love the moveset to be based on Captain Toad. But that would lead itself to working less well with the alt costumes, short of Toadette.

And though no one is with me on this, I do want his unique trait to be based on exploration, and a lack of ability to jump. Only to get in the air various other ways.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do feel that the inability to jump would be a serious disadvantage, which is why I'd rather have Captain Toad be one of Toad's palette swap options.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I do feel that the inability to jump would be a serious disadvantage, which is why I'd rather have Captain Toad be one of Toad's palette swap options.
The way I see it, he would be the only character to have one "jump" (not two)...if he were captain toad. Either a regular one (to symbolize low jumps), or one he can only use on the ground/platform, which ends up being like a pickaxe jump.

That said, his aerial game would still be stellar. Tethered recovery, a mini track/cart system, and perhaps more options, could keep him off the ground. Just not a jump.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Next newcomer confirmed?
Quoted from the General Discussion thread.

Does this mean we're finally getting Toad? I sure hope so!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
People still overanalyze Captain Toad's lack of jumping to this day?

I thought Smash had proved that creative liberties can be taken to not be exactly like the source material?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
*peaks into room*

Okay, I didn't expect to be back THIS quick! (alas, the speculation side of things is my favourite part of the community)

What up Brigade?

I'm pretty hyped for Captain Toad for the Switch, but I'm weirdly unusually cynical about his appearance in Smash 5.
Maybe because everything seems a little too perfect for an appearance that I'm expecting we'll get burned again?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
*peaks into room*

Okay, I didn't expect to be back THIS quick! (alas, the speculation side of things is my favourite part of the community)

What up Brigade?

I'm pretty hyped for Captain Toad for the Switch, but I'm weirdly unusually cynical about his appearance in Smash 5.
Maybe because everything seems a little too perfect for an appearance that I'm expecting we'll get burned again?
Who knows, his game getting ported many times could be a good thing for him. And well, depending on if Sakurai would change his mind about his "Toad-phobia" for the roster.

Nice to see you again.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I was sad Toad didn't make it into Smash 4. I'd prefer his original appearance instead of his captain one, although that could always work as an alternate costume. I feel Toad is long overdue and the most deserving of the remaining Mario characters, having many roles over the years and being playable in several games, starting all the way back in SMB2. He's surely one of my most wanted for Smash Switch.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, after seeing that turnip cover fire being in the port for Switch, I've thought of an idea to make it unique compared to Peach's turnips: use Down-tilt when you're holding a turnip to store it away. You can store a max of 5 turnips, and if you use the designated special input and hold the button, it will automatically target a random opponent and damage them anywhere on the map.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'm on board on Project: Toad.

Bascially, I believe in Toad for the new game. Do not know if it was only regular Toad, Cap'n or whatnot, but the talk about having most Toad's as alts, sure, I can go on board with that.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
1. Toad
2. Red Toad
3. Blue Toad
4. Green Toad/LINE Toad
5. Yellow Toad
6. Purple Toad
7. Toadette
8. Toadsworth

9. Captain Toad
10. Red Captain Toad
11. Blue Captain Toad
12. Green Captain Toad/Captain LINE Toad
13. Yellow Captain Toad
14. Purple Captain Toad
15. Captain Toadette
16. Captain Toadsworth

That's how I always imagined Toad's alt costumes being in the game. It gives us Toad, Toadette, Toadsworth and Captain Toad (plus Captain Toadette, and Captain Toadsworth is a completely made-up thing for the game), plus the five standard colors of other Toads (such as here and here), and a LINE Toad reference.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
People still overanalyze Captain Toad's lack of jumping to this day?

I thought Smash had proved that creative liberties can be taken to not be exactly like the source material?
Can you break down this thought a bit more? From my logic, the entire premise of Captain Toad is that he is unlike his hero, Mario (Jumpman). Mario uses his physical prowess, specifically jumping- the primary form of attack and special movement, to overcome large expansive courses. In the reverse, Captain Toad is forced to use his brains, his lack of the key move- jumping, to overcome challenges that his body cannot handle, set within a confined space.

Having Captain Toad not jump is making use of Toad's ability to work around problems, including the entire premise of his series. It is the one thing that makes him and his new series stand out most from his Mario crew, including the original Toad. It is the essence of his series, Captain Toad, which is the most important point to capture in characters.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Can you break down this thought a bit more? From my logic, the entire premise of Captain Toad is that he is unlike his hero, Mario (Jumpman). Mario uses his physical prowess, specifically jumping- the primary form of attack and special movement, to overcome large expansive courses. In the reverse, Captain Toad is forced to use his brains, his lack of the key move- jumping, to overcome challenges that his body cannot handle, set within a confined space.

Having Captain Toad not jump is making use of Toad's ability to work around problems, including the entire premise of his series. It is the one thing that makes him and his new series stand out most from his Mario crew, including the original Toad. It is the essence of his series, Captain Toad, which is the most important point to capture in characters.
I think my statement is more along the lines of how people say Captain Toad is impossible for Smash because he can't jump and how that shouldn't be the thing preventing him from being a consideration.

It is true, most of his charm comes from using his wit to traverse many levels with a heavy big he can barely carry. In a sense, there can be ways to make him jump in Smash without it being jumping. Like using springs or even rising platforms like the game. Hell, or even his mushroom shaped ship.

It's more or less my annoyance at those that think him being the a non-jumper would stop him from being a valid fighter. Making him the only fighter to not mechanically jump in Smash, while a solution, would also be a problem unless his Up Special is super good.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think my statement is more along the lines of how people say Captain Toad is impossible for Smash because he can't jump and how that shouldn't be the thing preventing him from being a consideration.

It is true, most of his charm comes from using his wit to traverse many levels with a heavy big he can barely carry. In a sense, there can be ways to make him jump in Smash without it being jumping. Like using springs or even rising platforms like the game. Hell, or even his mushroom shaped ship.

It's more or less my annoyance at those that think him being the a non-jumper would stop him from being a valid fighter. Making him the only fighter to not mechanically jump in Smash, while a solution, would also be a problem unless his Up Special is super good.
I believe the developers would give him plenty of aerial option while still not making him jump, or at least not twice.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Smash takes the biggest quirks, the most defining traits of their home games, and builds movesets around those mechanics.

The point of Captain Toad is that he cannot jump. It is the basis from which the rest of the game was built. To ignore this is to ignore the point which could most likely bring him into the game.

But what the hell do I know. I think Ridley being a giant makes for compelling gameplay as well.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I sort of agree with Duke with the jumping mechanics, but I also believe one of the major mechanics of Treasure Tracker is the manipulation of the stage to progress.

So I'd not have any issue with Toad, whilst not jumping, have platforms appear to raise him up as ridiculous as that sounds, having him flung into the air by an appearing seasaw, or having him get pulled up a short ways by a Flaptor due to his hapless nature.

Actually forming a block like platform underneath him would give him a pretty decent anti aerial game prevent opponents from reaching the stage by throwing a wall in their face(although the pay off would be the difficulty Toad has with the timing of his 'jumps' since falling off the stage as presumably a heavy weighed down character would probably mean disaster if not quick enough with the old up + B.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Add me to the list of supporters please. Toad / Captain Toad is my most wanted Mario newcomer. Either one is fine for me. With how much traction Captain Toad has been given, he feels pretty likely to me.

Top Bottom