• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What do you think of Toad having moves based on how we use the Game Pad in the games?

For example, one special move could be based on the player blowing into the Game Pad when playing Captain Toad Treasure Tracker... so opponents would be blown away by Toad's super breath (the rumors are true; Toad has superhuman strength like the Brawl trophy says).

Another special move could be based on the player touching the Game Pad to make temporary platforms appear in New Super Mario Bros. U... so Toad could make temporary platforms appear.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What do you think of Toad having moves based on how we use the Game Pad in the games?

For example, one special move could be based on the player blowing into the Game Pad when playing Captain Toad Treasure Tracker... so opponents would be blown away by Toad's super breath (the rumors are true; Toad has superhuman strength like the Brawl trophy says).

Another special move could be based on the player touching the Game Pad to make temporary platforms appear in New Super Mario Bros. U... so Toad could make temporary platforms appear.
why not if nothing else it'll be hilarious

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The most overdue character in all of Smash history.

Throw me in for this little guy.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I support. WIP moveset below.
General Info

Captain Toad(/Toadette)'s design is a combination of attributes, abilities and items meant to reflect both Captain Toad and Toad (the character, not the species.) He's also a bit of a silly fighter, with some of his moves being intentional attacks while others are another case of "Fighting by not fighting" as seen with characters like :4villager:, Phoenix Wright, Roll, etc.

Captain Toad also has the unique gimmick of being able to take off and put on his backpack via Side Taunt. This changes C. Toad's weight and speed, allowing him to swap between a speedy but easy to launch form and a slower but more resilient one. This allows him to reflect attributes of both Captain Toad, and the original playable Toad from Super Mario Bros. 2 (and 3D World which is kind of ironic now that I think about it because C. Toad debuted in the game where Toad finally returned.)

With the backpack equipped, Toad is fairly slow, but can tank small projectiles and weak hits, and is generally harder to knock around. He is still outclassed in weight by characters like :4bowser::4charizard::4dk::4ganondorf::4dedede: of course, but this does make him heavier than others like :4mario::4luigi:

With the backpack unequipped, Toad becomes the fastest Mario series character, but is also much lighter, making him easy to knock around and KO. At this point he becomes lighter than :4mario::4luigi: but not quite :4kirby::4jigglypuff::4gaw: levels of light.

The backpack itself can be knocked around by Toad making for a decent makeshift projectile, Like any item or projectile however, once it's been launched it can be reflected or hit back with a strong blow. And if it falls off stage, Toad will will be unable to access it until he is KO'd and re-spawns.

Stage Entrance: Rises out of a pipe and hops off of it onto the stage.

Neutral Jab - C. Toad performs two short kicks.

Forward Tilt - A Mario sprite jumps forward. Counts as a projectile. Has a slight chance of being a Luigi sprite.
Up Tilt - C. Toad performs a short headbutt similar to :4pacman:

Down Tilt - C. Toad rolls forward.

Dash Attack - C. Toad gains a brief speed boost and runs straight through opponents, tackling them. Loosely based on both the natural speed boosts in 3D World as well as the Boost Pads.
Forward Smash - C. Toad fires a Turnip Cannon. This acts as a ranged/projectile Smash attack like :4megaman:'s Charge Shot, but smaller, weaker, and with a bit more range.

Up Smash - C. Toad jumps back as a Skewer pops out of the ground.

Down Smash - C. Toad jumps in surprise as two small Thwomps fall down on either side of him.
Neutral Air - C. Toad performs a cartwheel in midair similar to :4villager:

Forward Air - C. Toad performs a forward flip, headbutting opponents.
Back Air - C. Toad performs a short dropkick similar to :4mario:

Up Aerial - C. Toad holds a Key above his head like in Super Mario Bros. 2.
Down Aerial - C. Toad performs a short drill kick similar to :4mario:

Grab - Standard grab like most characters, but extra short range due to his stubby arms. Benefits greatly from grabbing out of a dash.
Pummel - Headbutts the opponent similar to:4mario:

Forward Throw - Hurls the opponent forward. Meant as a loose nod to being fairly strong in Super Mario Bros. 2
Back Throw - Knocks foes away using spores like :4peach:'s Toad.

Up Throw - Tosses the opponent up and headbutts them from underneath, launching them higher.

Down Throw - Tosses the opponent onto the ground and jumps on them. He stomps and bounces off of them like you would with a Goomba, Koopa, etc.

Neutral Special: Bomb - C. Toad tosses out a bomb that stays on stage until a character or item touches it. The bombs come in multiple colors but all behave the same. Meant as a nod to Wario's Woods.

Side Special: Super Pickax - A multi-hit attack where C. Toad pulls out the Super Pickax and dashes forward, swinging it repeatedly. Has light armor and travels around the same distance as :4pit: & :4darkpit:'s Upper Dash Arm/Electro-Shock Arm. Has lots of end lag, leaving C. Toad wide open if he misses.

Up Special: - Flaptor - A Flaptor appears and swoops down, C. Toad with it's talons and carrying him upward. The player can control where the Flaptor flies until the move ends or Flaptor is hit, at which point it will drop C. Toad, leaving him in a freefall/helpless state.
Down Special: Turnip - Functions like :4peach:'s Vegetable. C. Toad pulls a Turnip from the ground which he can then throw as an item. Unlike Vegetable however, the Turnips C. Toad pulls are larger, deal more damage, and are always the same.

Final Smash: Draggadon - Draggadon suddenly appears, knocking C. Toad into the air. After landing on Draggadon's head, C. Toad can then command Draggadon to attack. Players take control of Draggadon who appears in the foreground in front of the stage. He can moved left, right, up and down with the control stick and can shoot fireballs with either :GCA: or :GCB:. Somewhat similar to the Final Smashes of :snake: and :4zss:.

Neutral Taunt - Small fireworks will go off around C. Toad.
Side Taunt - Takes of his backpack, and sets it on the ground. Taunting next to it will have C. Toad put it back on.
Down Taunt - A mole will pop out of the ground, surprising C. Toad

Victory 1 - A Super Gem is seen on screen. C. Toad then runs into view from off screen and collects the Super Gem.
Victory 2 - A Power Star/Green Star is seen on screen. C. Toad/Toadette then runs into view from off screen and collects the Power Star/Green Star.
Victory 3 - A flagpole is seen on screen. C. Toad then runs into view from off screen and raises the flag. A Toad symbol firework then goes off in celebration.

Costumes

00 - Captain Toad, Default Red
01 - Captain Toad, Blue
02 - Captain Toad, Green
03 - Captain Toad, Yellow
04 - Captain Toad, Magenta
05 - Captain Toad, Cyan
06 - Captain Toad, Brown/Beige (Toadsworth Colors)
07 - Captain Toad, Fire Flower
08 - Toadette, Default Pink
09 - Toadette, Light Blue
10 - Toadette, Purple
11 - Toadette, Yellow
12 - Toadette, Orange
13 - Toadette, Lime Green
14 - Toadette, Black
15 - Toadette, White (Inverted Color Scheme; White Cap, Pink Spots)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I support. WIP moveset below.
General Info

Captain Toad(/Toadette)'s design is a combination of attributes, abilities and items meant to reflect both Captain Toad and Toad (the character, not the species.) He's also a bit of a silly fighter, with some of his moves being intentional attacks while others are another case of "Fighting by not fighting" as seen with characters like :4villager:, Phoenix Wright, Roll, etc.

Captain Toad also has the unique gimmick of being able to take off and put on his backpack via Side Taunt. This changes C. Toad's weight and speed, allowing him to swap between a speedy but easy to launch form and a slower but more resilient one. This allows him to reflect attributes of both Captain Toad, and the original playable Toad from Super Mario Bros. 2 (and 3D World which is kind of ironic now that I think about it because C. Toad debuted in the game where Toad finally returned.)

With the backpack equipped, Toad is fairly slow, but can tank small projectiles and weak hits, and is generally harder to knock around. He is still outclassed in weight by characters like :4bowser::4charizard::4dk::4ganondorf::4dedede: of course, but this does make him heavier than others like :4mario::4luigi:

With the backpack unequipped, Toad becomes the fastest Mario series character, but is also much lighter, making him easy to knock around and KO. At this point he becomes lighter than :4mario::4luigi: but not quite :4kirby::4jigglypuff::4gaw: levels of light.

The backpack itself can be knocked around by Toad making for a decent makeshift projectile, Like any item or projectile however, once it's been launched it can be reflected or hit back with a strong blow. And if it falls off stage, Toad will will be unable to access it until he is KO'd and re-spawns.

Stage Entrance: Rises out of a pipe and hops off of it onto the stage.

Neutral Jab - C. Toad performs two short kicks.

Forward Tilt - A Mario sprite jumps forward. Counts as a projectile. Has a slight chance of being a Luigi sprite.
Up Tilt - C. Toad performs a short headbutt similar to :4pacman:

Down Tilt - C. Toad rolls forward.

Dash Attack - C. Toad gains a brief speed boost and runs straight through opponents, tackling them. Loosely based on both the natural speed boosts in 3D World as well as the Boost Pads.
Forward Smash - C. Toad fires a Turnip Cannon. This acts as a ranged/projectile Smash attack like :4megaman:'s Charge Shot, but smaller, weaker, and with a bit more range.

Up Smash - C. Toad jumps back as a Skewer pops out of the ground.

Down Smash - C. Toad jumps in surprise as two small Thwomps fall down on either side of him.
Neutral Air - C. Toad performs a cartwheel in midair similar to :4villager:

Forward Air - C. Toad performs a forward flip, headbutting opponents.
Back Air - C. Toad performs a short dropkick similar to :4mario:

Up Aerial - C. Toad holds a Key above his head like in Super Mario Bros. 2.
Down Aerial - C. Toad performs a short drill kick similar to :4mario:

Grab - Standard grab like most characters, but extra short range due to his stubby arms. Benefits greatly from grabbing out of a dash.
Pummel - Headbutts the opponent similar to:4mario:

Forward Throw - Hurls the opponent forward. Meant as a loose nod to being fairly strong in Super Mario Bros. 2
Back Throw - Knocks foes away using spores like :4peach:'s Toad.

Up Throw - Tosses the opponent up and headbutts them from underneath, launching them higher.

Down Throw - Tosses the opponent onto the ground and jumps on them. He stomps and bounces off of them like you would with a Goomba, Koopa, etc.

Neutral Special: Bomb - C. Toad tosses out a bomb that stays on stage until a character or item touches it. The bombs come in multiple colors but all behave the same. Meant as a nod to Wario's Woods.

Side Special: Super Pickax - A multi-hit attack where C. Toad pulls out the Super Pickax and dashes forward, swinging it repeatedly. Has light armor and travels around the same distance as :4pit: & :4darkpit:'s Upper Dash Arm/Electro-Shock Arm. Has lots of end lag, leaving C. Toad wide open if he misses.

Up Special: - Flaptor - A Flaptor appears and swoops down, C. Toad with it's talons and carrying him upward. The player can control where the Flaptor flies until the move ends or Flaptor is hit, at which point it will drop C. Toad, leaving him in a freefall/helpless state.
Down Special: Turnip - Functions like :4peach:'s Vegetable. C. Toad pulls a Turnip from the ground which he can then throw as an item. Unlike Vegetable however, the Turnips C. Toad pulls are larger, deal more damage, and are always the same.

Final Smash: Draggadon - Draggadon suddenly appears, knocking C. Toad into the air. After landing on Draggadon's head, C. Toad can then command Draggadon to attack. Players take control of Draggadon who appears in the foreground in front of the stage. He can moved left, right, up and down with the control stick and can shoot fireballs with either :GCA: or :GCB:. Somewhat similar to the Final Smashes of :snake: and :4zss:.

Neutral Taunt - Small fireworks will go off around C. Toad.
Side Taunt - Takes of his backpack, and sets it on the ground. Taunting next to it will have C. Toad put it back on.
Down Taunt - A mole will pop out of the ground, surprising C. Toad

Victory 1 - A Super Gem is seen on screen. C. Toad then runs into view from off screen and collects the Super Gem.
Victory 2 - A Power Star/Green Star is seen on screen. C. Toad/Toadette then runs into view from off screen and collects the Power Star/Green Star.
Victory 3 - A flagpole is seen on screen. C. Toad then runs into view from off screen and raises the flag. A Toad symbol firework then goes off in celebration.

Costumes

00 - Captain Toad, Default Red
01 - Captain Toad, Blue
02 - Captain Toad, Green
03 - Captain Toad, Yellow
04 - Captain Toad, Magenta
05 - Captain Toad, Cyan
06 - Captain Toad, Brown/Beige (Toadsworth Colors)
07 - Captain Toad, Fire Flower
08 - Toadette, Default Pink
09 - Toadette, Light Blue
10 - Toadette, Purple
11 - Toadette, Yellow
12 - Toadette, Orange
13 - Toadette, Lime Green
14 - Toadette, Black
15 - Toadette, White (Inverted Color Scheme; White Cap, Pink Spots)
Sounds a good moveset but one thing I'd change is for the weight shifting to be his down B and his neutral to be Turnip Pull, but if held down he pulls out a WW bomb instead. I'm not a fan of Taunts being essential character functions.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Sounds a good moveset but one thing I'd change is for the weight shifting to be his down B and his neutral to be Turnip Pull, but if held down he pulls out a WW bomb instead. I'm not a fan of Taunts being essential character functions.
Third Strike tho

I'm joking though. Generally I'd agree, especially with Smash in particular. I just really wanted to squeeze in those Wario's Woods bombs. If anything a good revision could probably be to make them rare pulls off of the Turnip special. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Yes and his moveset consists of random visual puns such as a "Big Fan" or a "Hot Dog" (when it's in fact a flaming dog)
Those could make for some interesting specials, but I was thinking more along the lines of having him spawn more Toads until the entire stage is taken up by an army of identical Toads

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Nah but really Toads are known foe grouping up so maybe the Smashes could consist of Toad waving jury flags to summon a Toad horde in that direction?

Even worse, what if Toad could summon more Toads by performing stylish comboes? (Or, of not drawing inspiration from Toad Run, a Down B)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's been so long. I need a new Toad game. Captain Toad 2 for Switch, Wario's Woods 2 on eShop, Treasure Tracker 3DS port, something!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
mario and luigi, toad and toadette?
Yes. Anything that puts Toad in the spotlight.

A new Mario & Luigi game with Toad would be great. Or a new classic style Paper Mario game with a Toad partner. Or a new Super Mario RPG game with Toad as a party member. Or a Mario Galaxy sequel with Captain Toad as the third playable character. Anything with Toad as a protagonist would be great.

Yes. Anything that puts Toad in the spotlight.

A new Mario & Luigi game with Toad would be great. Or a new classic style Paper Mario game with a Toad partner. Or a new Super Mario RPG game with Toad as a party member. Or a Mario Galaxy sequel with Captain Toad as the third playable character. Anything with Toad as a protagonist would be great.
Agreed. Except maybe another "New" Super Mario Bros.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Don't think I've logged in since DLC speculation for Wii U, but I want my name on that support list.
Please put my name on that support list.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, the best Mario & Luigi game in my opinion, is getting a remake. I think the graphics are going to be updated to look like the 3DS sequels. Kinda wish Nintendo also made a new Mario & Luigi game co-starring Captain Toad and Toadette.

While we are still on the topic about nonexistent games with a playable Toad, watching this makes me wish Nintendo remade Super Mario 64 (and Super Mario 64 DS) or a Super Mario 64 sequel with multiplayer mode (like Super Mario 3D World) and a playable Toad.

Does it look like Toad is flipping you off at 2:08?

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Toad is definitely the most likely Mario contender imo since its either spinoff stuff or items. But I could also see them deciding not to and use Waluigi or Daisy instead.

Does Toad really need Kart, Party and Sports stuff to have an unique moveset? I mean, SMB2, Galaxy and Treasure Tracker have given him plenty of moveset material.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think Daisy is more suited for a Sports-themed moveset, leaving all the Party and Kart stuff to Toad really
Even then I think Waluigi is more likely than Daisy. I don't see them going for a spinoff moveset for Toad for some reason. I think he wpuld have his own thing based on mainline games and/or some item powerups. That way they have an excuse to have 2 new Mario characters again.

The other two can prob slightly easier get the party/ kart stuff as well as the other sports spinoff.

Personally I'm not against those 3 Mario reps if they do get in but I'd rather support DK or Wario characters instead as I think Smash should skip the Mario series next time, despite it being the strongest IP.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know... Toad picks up Super Gems in Treasure Tracker. Those gems are shaped similarly to the diamonds in Wario's Woods. Why not have the Super Gems do the same thing the diamonds did in Wario's Woods? Maybe they could blow up enemies?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Complete the Mariokart 64 roster and add Toad. I support. Add me to the list please.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm looking at Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and I'm thinking... I wish Captain Toad is playable too. I always wanted a heavyweight Toad in Mario Kart.

I hope Mario Kart 9 will have both Toad AND Captain Toad. I don't care if they are the same person. We already have four Marios, four Peaches, two Bowsers, two Luigis, two Daisies, and two Rosalinas in Mario Kart 8.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm looking at Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and I'm thinking... I wish Captain Toad is playable too. I always wanted a heavyweight Toad in Mario Kart.

I hope Mario Kart 9 will have both Toad AND Captain Toad. I don't care if they are the same person. We already have four Marios, four Peaches, two Bowsers, two Luigis, two Daisies, and two Rosalinas in Mario Kart 8.
that was my thinking too, instead of tanooki mario and cat peach, the zelda pack should have had other zelda characters or more versions of other characters could have had kitsune luigi and cat toad

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

Thing is, this makes more sense because they're NOT the same Toad. Captain Toad is a different Toad from the Toad simply named after the species. I'm unsure though as to whether the Toad in the spin-off games is different from the Toad from Super Mario Bros. 2/ & 3D World. And to add to that, why can't we choose multiple colors for Toad like we can with Yoshi and the Shy Guy?

I'd also hope that the next game makes things like Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach costumes. The Babies are their past selves and the Metals are doppelgangers, so them being separate is fine (even though I'd rather not have them), but those are literally Mario and Peach in costumes. And with that in mind, more costumes would be nice to see. Bring in the Wario Bike and give Wario his WarioWare outfit. Bring in Dr. Mario and Dr. Luigi costumes accompanied maybe by a pill themed kart or maybe even a Dr. Mario track full of viruses as obstacles.

I got a bit carried away there though, so I'll stop now. My apologies.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I cringed at the idea of Dr. Mario and Dr. Luigi in Mario Kart. Yeah, I think that's going a bit too far. I'd rather have more unique characters and fewer baby versions, undead versions, metal versions, and costumed versions of existing characters (less is more). :p

Mrrgle

Smash Cadet
I cringed at the idea of Dr. Mario and Dr. Luigi in Mario Kart. Yeah, I think that's going a bit too far. I'd rather have more unique characters and fewer baby versions, undead versions, metal versions, and costumed versions of existing characters (less is more). :p
Yea, but if they're just costumes, then who cares? They'd be kinda cool.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Key word was costumes. I wouldn't want them if they were separate characters.

Top Bottom