• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh, that's all?

Hmm... Captain Toad 2 should happen... and it would be nice if the game is based on Super Mario Odyssey.

It would be fun to solve puzzles in New Donk City and sneak around a T-Rex.
so long as it was way longer than the first it just felt like it was over to soon

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
so long as it was way longer than the first it just felt like it was over to soon
Yeah, only three episodes and one bonus episode, I believe. It would be a bit better if it was structured like New Super Mario Bros. U.

Episodes = Worlds

And the episodes are more organized... like one episode has desert stages, another episode has ghost stages, another episode has snow stages, you know? That would be better than everything jumbled.

It would make us feel like the game is long even if it has the same number of levels.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Toad could work as a grappler style fighter in Smash. None of the Mario characters in Smash can pick up and carry enemies like they do in Super Mario Bros. 2.

Maybe Toad could do that in Smash. Picking up and carrying enemies is something Toad has actually done in his first own game, Wario's Woods.

What if Toad could do the things like Paco from Brawlout could do (just not with the tongue but you get my point hopefully)? It could be Toad's way of showing off his superhuman strength (this was mentioned in Toad's Melee and Brawl trophies).

Argos

Smash Apprentice
I've predicted Toad in Smash for every entry so far but I can't be wrong this time. Captain Toad is:

1. His own character in response to "he's just a generic species!" folks
2. In Mario Odyssey
3. Has been a captain for for ten years
4. Ready for adventure

Lock it in.

Oddball

Smash Lord
1. His own character in response to "he's just a generic species!" folks
So is Yoshi, and yet Toad has been his own character since Mario 2. The Mario series is weird about letting characters be their own person AND being the name of their race.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personsally I always considered Captain Toad and Toad (from SMB2) and Red Toad (from Sunshine) to be the same person. That's my head canon.

Since Mario Kart 8 set the precedent by having Mario, Metal Mario, Baby Mario, and Tanooki Mario playable even though they are the same person... I see no issues with having both Toad and Captain Toad playable in a future Mario Kart game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Personsally I always considered Captain Toad and Toad (from SMB2) and Red Toad (from Sunshine) to be the same person. That's my head canon.

Since Mario Kart 8 set the precedent by having Mario, Metal Mario, Baby Mario, and Tanooki Mario playable even though they are the same person... I see no issues with having both Toad and Captain Toad playable in a future Mario Kart game.
yeah nintendo really isn't as bothered by things like that as we are

splat

Smash Lord
yeah nintendo really isn't as bothered by things like that as we are
Nintendo considers all characters from the series actors, right? So maybe all Toads are indeed the same actor, just edited in multiple times.

Tatiana Maslany ain't got nothing on Toad!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I heard someone say that there should be a Captain Toad sequel based on Super Mario Oddysey.

If that were to happen, Nintendo can have all of my money.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo considers all characters from the series actors, right? So maybe all Toads are indeed the same actor, just edited in multiple times.

Tatiana Maslany ain't got nothing on Toad!
an interesting way of looking at it

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So I just made this. :3

captain-toad-character-ui.png

I think he'd be a pretty cool addition to the roster. So go ahead and add me if you have a supporters list.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Here's the rest of the character UIs that I made for Captain Toad.

captain-toad-character-ui-8player.png

Dr.Turtle

Smash Cadet
Toad is maybe the character who deserves to be in Smash most. You can add me to the supporters list

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Super Mario Odyssey is one of the best Mario games I have ever played... but...

I just wish that Mario could possess capture Toad so we could play as Toad and use his unique abilities like we could with Yoshi. Notice that all Toads are wearing hats in Super Mario Odyssey so we cannot play as Toad. :sadeyes:

This was a missed opportunity for Nintendo to make Toad playable in Super Mario Odyssey. It would have been fun to sprint across the worlds as Toad instead of using a rocket flower... maybe even pick up and carry enemies like in Super Mario Bros. 2 and walk on walls like in Wario's Woods. It would have been awesome to see Mario-possessed Toad running on water in Seaside Kingdom instead of using a rocket flower.

Maybe if there's DLC for Super Mario Odyssey with a new world set in Toad Town... where we can play as Toad... :nervous:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
it would have been fun to play as any toad i agree

though i did enjoy finding captain toad here and there kept taking pictures when i found him

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Toad is pretty much the only major Mario character who deserves it.Toad has been there since the beginning and is the last Major 8 (10 if you add Rosa and Jr) to be in a game as popular as Smash that represents all the series. It would be silly to not add him in the next Smash

SUPPORTING!

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Toad is pretty much the only major Mario character who deserves it. If someone like Waluigi or Daisy gets in over Toad, I'd be raged lmao. Toad has been there since the beginning and is the last Major 8 (10 if you add Rosa and Jr) to be in a game as popular as Smash that represents all the series. It would be silly to not add him in the next Smash

SUPPORTING!
Don't forget that some of us support all of these characters. ;)

Implying that other candidates aren't deserving isn't really going to make this thread look good to others.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Toad is pretty much the only major Mario character who deserves it.Toad has been there since the beginning and is the last Major 8 (10 if you add Rosa and Jr) to be in a game as popular as Smash that represents all the series. It would be silly to not add him in the next Smash

SUPPORTING!
shall i add you to our supporters list?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I did it. I 100% completed Super Mario Odyssey again.

I think Nintendo should make a sequel with new kingdoms and new capturable targets.

Captain Toad should be playable. Imagine some missions where Mario must capture Captain Toad so he can traverse some special areas and solve puzzles (similar to the ones from Captain Toad Treasure Tracker) to get Power Moons. That would be interesting than just talking to Captain Toad and getting Power Moons from him.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I did it. I 100% completed Super Mario Odyssey again.

I think Nintendo should make a sequel with new kingdoms and new capturable targets.

Captain Toad should be playable. Imagine some missions where Mario must capture Captain Toad so he can traverse some special areas and solve puzzles (similar to the ones from Captain Toad Treasure Tracker) to get Power Moons. That would be interesting than just talking to Captain Toad and getting Power Moons from him.
again? wow thats fast

yeah or some dlc like isle delfino and the comet observatory

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
again? wow thats fast

yeah or some dlc like isle delfino and the comet observatory
Yeah, I did it faster the second time since I knew where most of the Power Moons and purple coins were located. I also cleared Dark Side and Darker Side with fewer tries.

I really would love DLC for Super Mario Odyssey.

One Kingdom from Super Mario 64, one Kingdom from Super Mario Sunshine, and one Kingdom from Super Mario Galaxy... ooh, and maybe one Kingdom from Luigi’s Mansion.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I did it faster the second time since I knew where most of the Power Moons and purple coins were located. I also cleared Dark Side and Darker Side with fewer tries.

I really would love DLC for Super Mario Odyssey.

One Kingdom from Super Mario 64, one Kingdom from Super Mario Sunshine, and one Kingdom from Super Mario Galaxy... ooh, and maybe one Kingdom from Luigi’s Mansion.
exploring any of the mansions from either luigi's mansion games in odyssey style would be awesome

also what are you a video game god?

got any advice for getting 100 one the jump rope and volley ball?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
exploring any of the mansions from either luigi's mansion games in odyssey style would be awesome

also what are you a video game god?

got any advice for getting 100 one the jump rope and volley ball?
Jump rope - Work on your timing. I notice Mario jumps higher when you hold the jump button down... so tapping the jump button would let Mario make lower jumps.

Volleyball - I found it easier to temporarily make it two players. Just let Cappy do all the work. I feel Cappy is easier to control than Mario and he feels like he moves around faster than Mario.

As soon I got 100 in both mini games, I was happily finished because then I can focus on the fun parts which is jumping, swimming, and running around the kingdoms.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Jump rope - Work on your timing. I notice Mario jumps higher when you hold the jump button down... so tapping the jump button would let Mario make lower jumps.

Volleyball - I found it easier to temporarily make it two players. Just let Cappy do all the work. I feel Cappy is easier to control than Mario and he feels like he moves around faster than Mario.

As soon I got 100 in both mini games, I was happily finished because then I can focus on the fun parts which is jumping, swimming, and running around the kingdoms.
ok thanks, i do try to only tap the jump button in jump rope but it does get tricky very tricky fast

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I need a new Toad game. It's been 3 years since Toad had his own game.

A Toad game called "Super Toad Brigade" where we play as six different Toads (Captain, Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple, and Toadette) would be nice.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I need a new Toad game. It's been 3 years since Toad had his own game.

A Toad game called "Super Toad Brigade" where we play as six different Toads (Captain, Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple, and Toadette) would be nice.
yeah game all about the brigade would be awesome

yellow's the only one without an alternate name now, blue/hint toad, purple/mail toad, green/bank toad

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really wanted Toad in badly in Smash since Brawl, but I am not yet too informed about Captain Toad. What could he do in terms of his moveset? I want to know that before I support.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really wanted Toad in badly in Smash since Brawl, but I am not yet too informed about Captain Toad. What could he do in terms of his moveset? I want to know that before I support.
well hes got the super picaxe throwing turnips shooting himself out of a canon riding mine carts and a really heavy backpack to hit people with perhaps the double cherry could be used as a counter attack

of course a few see the either toad or captain toad would be representing all toads so he should access to anything any toad has done

hence why theres the suggestion that they be slts of each other (along with toadette)

D

Deleted member

While I want Waluigi more, I think our smol captain is the most deserving Mario newcomer, and I want him too.
I support, and I'm ready for adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Please add me to the supporter list! I would really like to see Toad being playable...so maybe I can finally convince my sister to play Smash since she loves the little guy!

Top Bottom