• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Toad should borrow moves and stats from SMB2, 3D world and Mariokart.

Toad should be the fastest Mario Universe character represented in Smash. That is why I think he would be the best MarioKart representative: a game based on speed. Even if ironically, Toad is known more for his acceleration than top speed in those games.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Toad should be the fastest Mario Universe character represented in Smash. That is why I think he would be the best MarioKart representative: a game based on speed. Even if ironically, Toad is known more for his acceleration than top speed in those games.
Yeah, I think Toad's stats are made clear throughout his playable appearances (sans the games where he plays like Mario/Luigi)
He'd be fast, strong, but not a good jumper. (Although unlike Little Mac, he'd still be fast in the air, he just can't jump high)

I think Toad would be the best representative for Mario Kart's items.
Whereas Waluigi is more known for Tennis and Daisy for Baseball and general athleticness, Toad could be the one that brings Mario Sports items to the battle.
Imagine Toad boosting across the field, putting down Banana Peels and aiming Green Shells, or obtaining a balanced version of the Star-Man or even the Blue Shell!

Whereas I don't think Toad should use platformer items like the Fire Flower and Penguin Suit, I do think these items can suit Toad's playstyle.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think id be fine with whatever moveset theyd give him,mid just be happy he was in smash

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I had an idea that Toad would use Golden Mushroom to boost his speed. Maybe it could be like a charge tackle move like Pikachu's Side+B.. since we use Mushrooms to speed up and bump into other drivers to steal their items or balloons.

I still think Toad's moveset should be based mainly on Treasure Tracker, with some moves/stats taken from SMB2, Galaxy, Wario's Woods and 3D World. I'm personally not a fan of the "Toad as the MK representative" idea.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I still think Toad's moveset should be based mainly on Treasure Tracker, with some moves/stats taken from SMB2, Galaxy, Wario's Woods and 3D World. I'm personally not a fan of the "Toad as the MK representative" idea.
Captain Toad would definitely use Treasure Tracker props only, but I think regular Toad would make a great MK representative.
It's like Mario would look weird using Megavitamins and Dr. Mario weird with a Tanuki Suit

Captain Toad would definitely use Treasure Tracker props only, but I think regular Toad would make a great MK representative.
It's like Mario would look weird using Megavitamins and Dr. Mario weird with a Tanuki Suit
I personally think regular Toad could use Captain Toad's moves as well, but I can see your point.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still don't like the idea of Toad not being able to jump in Smash. Characters in Smash don't have to be 1:1 exactly the same as they were in their games.

And I don't like the idea of Toad having a move where he removes treasure from his backpack just so he would be able to jump. It's needlessly complicated just to perform a basic ability.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I still don't like the idea of Toad not being able to jump in Smash. Characters in Smash don't have to be 1:1 exactly the same as they were in their games.

And I don't like the idea of Toad having a move where he removes treasure from his backpack just so he would be able to jump. It's needlessly complicated just to perform a basic ability.
For me, basic playability has priority over 1:1 representing the character.
Mario doesn't pick up a Flower to shoot fireballs in Smash, so Toad certainly doesn't need a whole animation dedicated to a bloody jump

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
TOAD

Toad, the cowardly yet faithful servant and host, enters the fray. Toad is quick (as fast as Fox) and has surprising strength demonstrated in his throws and Smashes.

Yet, he has the shortest hops in the game and is poor at vertically knocking out the opponent. In order to cover this glaring weakness, Toad is an anti-air character. His specials are designed to counter airborne foes and knock them out of the sky. His Up B is a vertical grab command, his Down B can launch him high into the sky and his Side special gives him versatility in the air. To top off his aerial assault, his Up aerial is a spike and his Up Smash launches a powerful bullet bill to take out foes.

SPECIALS

(B) Golden Mushroom Turbo - Toad holds up a Golden Mushroom as he runs in place. Letting go of the (B) button launches Toad into a quick sprint. Toad will go further, the longer the (B) button is held.
• He can run up and down walls and ledges.
• If performed in the air, he will run downwards at a 45 degree angle until he hits the floor or character, he which case he will use the remaining time on the move to run horizontally.
• A fully charged run will ground the opponent (like DK's headbutt) or meteor a character in the air.
• Toad (at full charge) can run down a ledge, along the side of a stage and ground a recovering opponent into the stage's side.

(Side B) Piranha Plant - Told holds a pot and a biting piranha plant emerges, pulling a screaming Toad along. The plant can be controlled like Ness's Thunder and can be directed anywhere.
• Toad is vulnerable to hits and smacking the piranha plant can change its direction.
• The biting plant does multiple hits, with the last hit having moderate KO potential. The plant disappears after a duration.
• Toad is in a helpless state after the move.

(Up B) Jump Squat - Toad squats and flashes like in SMB2. He shoots up upon release with his arms above his head. The vertical height depends on the length of the charge.
• This is a grab command. Anyone that touches Toad's raised hands are grabbed and turned upside down above Toad just like he holds enemies in SMB2.
• He then can throw them forwards or backwards. A forward throw acts like in SMB2. He chucks the opponent away at a downward angle.
• A back throw acts like Mario and Luigi's back throw. Toad swings the opponent in a circle and chucks them backwards. Toad can move back and forth while swinging the enemy.

(Down B) Glass Pipe Pinball - A glass pipe from Mario 3D World rises from the floor (complete with iconic Marip pipe sound effect) encasing Toad. He spins in place in a curled position until a set time or Down B is released. He launches up like a cannonball. This hits an opponent in a horizontal fashion with knock-back power. The pipe slides back into the ground.
• If performed in the air, Toad will dive straight down into the emerging pipe. He can then charge or be shot back up immediately.
• The pipe has a set hitpoint of 15. If it is shattered, there is a cool-down point before it can be used much like Zelda's forward special move.

ATTACKS

(A) Toad squeezes his eyes shut and looks over his shoulder as he blindly slaps frantically. Short range, can be held.

(Side A) Rams forward with his shoulder.

(Down A) Performs a baseball slide forwards. Hits enemies behind him.

(Up A) Plucks coins rapidly from the ground which disappear in gold glitter a distance above his head. Can be held and functions like Ivysaur's Bullet seed. Good damage-racker.

(Dash A) Trips over his feet and bounces forward twice on the ground, each bounce doing damage to the enemy.

SMASHES

(Side Smash)
Slides forward and pushes using his upper body strength. Screams during the move. Quick, but good KO move that does little damage.

(Up Smash) Plucks out a Bullet Bill slightly bigger than Toad, which jets up into the air and then flashes red before a powerful explosion. The Bullet hits the enemy upward and the explosion sends the enemy flying depending on its relation to the bullet before the blast.

(Down Smash)
Plucks out a POW Block, does a backflip and slams it to the ground. This acts similar to Charizard's Down Smash.

AERIALS

(Neutral Aerial) A spore explosion like Greninja's neutral. The lingering spore cloud can tack on damage to non-Toad's.

(Forward Aerial) Claps his feet together and launches forward with his head like a battering ram. Not much damage, but good knock-back.

(Back Aerial) Swings backwards, using his body like a bat and smashes with his head. Good KO potential.

(Down Aerial) Claps his feet together, pointing them downwards as he spins. A multi-hitting drill attack.

(Up Aerial) Toad performs a flip and headbutts. This hits the enemy downwards and is a spike.

THROWS

(Grab)
Grabs with his hands.
(Pummel) Little shin kicks.

(Forward Throw)
Spins like Mario's back throw and sends them forward.

(Back Throw)
Same as forward throw, except he chucks them backwards.

(Down Throw)
Using one hand, he swings the opponent over his head and into the floor behind him, before repeating the move on his other side which pops up the enemy like Jax in MK2 and the Hulk on Loki in Avengers.

(Up Throw)
Lies on his back and bench pressed the enemy straight upwards.
[spoiler/]

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
TOAD

Toad, the cowardly yet faithful servant and host, enters the fray. Toad is quick (as fast as Fox) and has surprising strength demonstrated in his throws and Smashes.

Yet, he has the shortest hops in the game and is poor at vertically knocking out the opponent. In order to cover this glaring weakness, Toad is an anti-air character. His specials are designed to counter airborne foes and knock them out of the sky. His Up B is a vertical grab command, his Down B can launch him high into the sky and his Side special gives him versatility in the air. To top off his aerial assault, his Up aerial is a spike and his Up Smash launches a powerful bullet bill to take out foes.

SPECIALS

(B) Golden Mushroom Turbo - Toad holds up a Golden Mushroom as he runs in place. Letting go of the (B) button launches Toad into a quick sprint. Toad will go further, the longer the (B) button is held.
• He can run up and down walls and ledges.
• If performed in the air, he will run downwards at a 45 degree angle until he hits the floor or character, he which case he will use the remaining time on the move to run horizontally.
• A fully charged run will ground the opponent (like DK's headbutt) or meteor a character in the air.
• Toad (at full charge) can run down a ledge, along the side of a stage and ground a recovering opponent into the stage's side.

(Side B) Piranha Plant - Told holds a pot and a biting piranha plant emerges, pulling a screaming Toad along. The plant can be controlled like Ness's Thunder and can be directed anywhere.
• Toad is vulnerable to hits and smacking the piranha plant can change its direction.
• The biting plant does multiple hits, with the last hit having moderate KO potential. The plant disappears after a duration.
• Toad is in a helpless state after the move.

(Up B) Jump Squat - Toad squats and flashes like in SMB2. He shoots up upon release with his arms above his head. The vertical height depends on the length of the charge.
• This is a grab command. Anyone that touches Toad's raised hands are grabbed and turned upside down above Toad just like he holds enemies in SMB2.
• He then can throw them forwards or backwards. A forward throw acts like in SMB2. He chucks the opponent away at a downward angle.
• A back throw acts like Mario and Luigi's back throw. Toad swings the opponent in a circle and chucks them backwards. Toad can move back and forth while swinging the enemy.

(Down B) Glass Pipe Pinball - A glass pipe from Mario 3D World rises from the floor (complete with iconic Marip pipe sound effect) encasing Toad. He spins in place in a curled position until a set time or Down B is released. He launches up like a cannonball. This hits an opponent in a horizontal fashion with knock-back power. The pipe slides back into the ground.
• If performed in the air, Toad will dive straight down into the emerging pipe. He can then charge or be shot back up immediately.
• The pipe has a set hitpoint of 15. If it is shattered, there is a cool-down point before it can be used much like Zelda's forward special move.

ATTACKS

(A) Toad squeezes his eyes shut and looks over his shoulder as he blindly slaps frantically. Short range, can be held.

(Side A) Rams forward with his shoulder.

(Down A) Performs a baseball slide forwards. Hits enemies behind him.

(Up A) Plucks coins rapidly from the ground which disappear in gold glitter a distance above his head. Can be held and functions like Ivysaur's Bullet seed. Good damage-racker.

(Dash A) Trips over his feet and bounces forward twice on the ground, each bounce doing damage to the enemy.

SMASHES

(Side Smash)
Slides forward and pushes using his upper body strength. Screams during the move. Quick, but good KO move that does little damage.

(Up Smash) Plucks out a Bullet Bill slightly bigger than Toad, which jets up into the air and then flashes red before a powerful explosion. The Bullet hits the enemy upward and the explosion sends the enemy flying depending on its relation to the bullet before the blast.

(Down Smash)
Plucks out a POW Block, does a backflip and slams it to the ground. This acts similar to Charizard's Down Smash.

AERIALS

(Neutral Aerial) A spore explosion like Greninja's neutral. The lingering spore cloud can tack on damage to non-Toad's.

(Forward Aerial) Claps his feet together and launches forward with his head like a battering ram. Not much damage, but good knock-back.

(Back Aerial) Swings backwards, using his body like a bat and smashes with his head. Good KO potential.

(Down Aerial) Claps his feet together, pointing them downwards as he spins. A multi-hitting drill attack.

(Up Aerial) Toad performs a flip and headbutts. This hits the enemy downwards and is a spike.

THROWS

(Grab)
Grabs with his hands.
(Pummel) Little shin kicks.

(Forward Throw)
Spins like Mario's back throw and sends them forward.

(Back Throw)
Same as forward throw, except he chucks them backwards.

(Down Throw)
Using one hand, he swings the opponent over his head and into the floor behind him, before repeating the move on his other side which pops up the enemy like Jax in MK2 and the Hulk on Loki in Avengers.

(Up Throw)
Lies on his back and bench pressed the enemy straight upwards.
[spoiler/]
I absolutely adore this set.
One can even give the concept of anti-air fighter a Mario Kart flair like this:

Side Special: Turtle Shell
Toad plucks a Red Shell from the ground and throws it forward.
The shell flies in a curve, like Pac's Bell, which means the shell flies diagonally forward after sliding forwards.
The shell slightly homes in on airborne opponents.
Any opponents hit are sent at a semi spike angla diagonally downwards

If the player presses the shield button right after plucking, Toad keeps holding the shell like a regular item, allowing him to carry it around SMB2-style, and also throw it upwards, downwards and allowing him to Z-drop the shell.

Down Special: Star-Man
A semi counter.
Toad plucks and touches a Star-Man, giving him the traditional rainbow colors for 10 frames. (5ish in the air(
In this time, he destroys any projectile he touches and heavily knocks back opponent that touch him.
Too lazy to think of a good way to balance the move.
The kicker is this move can be used during the mobility of the other specials or while running
10 frames is short, so be sure to cover a lot of ground during it.
Use it to give the other mobility specials more oomph to punish predictable short hops or to punish those that barrage Toad with projectiles for not taking it to the skies

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I absolutely adore this set.
One can even give the concept of anti-air fighter a Mario Kart flair like this:

Side Special: Turtle Shell
Toad plucks a Red Shell from the ground and throws it forward.
The shell flies in a curve, like Pac's Bell, which means the shell flies diagonally forward after sliding forwards.
The shell slightly homes in on airborne opponents.
Any opponents hit are sent at a semi spike angla diagonally downwards

If the player presses the shield button right after plucking, Toad keeps holding the shell like a regular item, allowing him to carry it around SMB2-style, and also throw it upwards, downwards and allowing him to Z-drop the shell.

Down Special: Star-Man
A semi counter.
Toad plucks and touches a Star-Man, giving him the traditional rainbow colors for 10 frames. (5ish in the air(
In this time, he destroys any projectile he touches and heavily knocks back opponent that touch him.
Too lazy to think of a good way to balance the move.
The kicker is this move can be used during the mobility of the other specials or while running
10 frames is short, so be sure to cover a lot of ground during it.
Use it to give the other mobility specials more oomph to punish predictable short hops or to punish those that barrage Toad with projectiles for not taking it to the skies
The Star might be hard to incorporate. I was thinking of allowing Toad to have the star during a down throw. That way he has to catch someone. The down throw could have him hold up a star-man and then flash rainbow colors. The enemy is sent upwards from the touch and Toad is allowed to move around with the power for a couple seconds. Might be broken.

Alternatively, Toad can have a counter which negates the damage received and gives him seconds with the star-man ability depending on the strength of the original attack.

The shell would be a nice anti-aerial tool and further reference Mariokart. Little wings can be on it, making it a red paratrooper shell to further justify its movement.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd actually kinda like to somehow incorporate having a key summon Phanto and the Flying Carpet into his move set somehow.

I'm also trying to figure out if there's a way to incorporate the three treasure chests the Mario 3 Toad's houses had into his moves.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I'd actually kinda like to somehow incorporate having a key summon Phanto and the Flying Carpet into his move set somehow.

I'm also trying to figure out if there's a way to incorporate the three treasure chests the Mario 3 Toad's houses had into his moves.
Down B could be a Treasure Chest pluck. The chest has HP of 70. It can be thrown, although it is heavy and slow to toss. An item pops out after it is destroyed. Green shell, Bo-omb, Star Man ect.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think chests would be a great way to show Toad's superhuman strenght: Opponents would massively slow down carrying it and could barely throw it, but Toad would be able to run around with it with ease and throw it as easily as Peach's veggie

To give it an anti-air vibe, the chests would summon an upwards stream of coins when opened, or a powerful item could "jump out".
This might even be a good way to balance the star, as the chesf wouldn't open immediately

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Toad's superhuman strenght
Superfungus strength, surely? :laugh:

Opponents would massively slow down carrying it and could barely throw it, but Toad would be able to run around with it with ease and throw it as easily as Peach's veggie
I like this idea, but wouldn't this seem a bit strange if powerful opponents like Bowser struggled with the chest? :confused: Or would Toad simply be on a level with them, to highlight how strong he is for his size?

or a powerful item could "jump out".
This might even be a good way to balance the star, as the chesf wouldn't open immediately
This reminds me of how the power-ups pop up out of the chests in Super Mario Bros. 3's Toad Houses, so it has a double advantage of both balance and looking the part. :grin:

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Superfungus strength, surely? :laugh:

I like this idea, but wouldn't this seem a bit strange if powerful opponents like Bowser struggled with the chest? :confused: Or would Toad simply be on a level with them, to highlight how strong he is for his size?

This reminds me of how the power-ups pop up out of the chests in Super Mario Bros. 3's Toad Houses, so it has a double advantage of both balance and looking the part. :grin:
Not as weird as him struggling with regular crates and yeah I thought of how Stars jumped outta the box when opened in NSMBW

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Hmmm... three treasure chests could be his Final Smash. It would pause the battle, warp everyone to the Toad House, and force opponents to select a chest to open. Two of them contain Bowser Bombs to blow them up and the third contains a Peach (from Peach's Final Smash) to heal them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmmm... three treasure chests could be his Final Smash. It would pause the battle, warp everyone to the Toad House, and force opponents to select a chest to open. Two of them contain Bowser Bombs to blow them up and the third contains a Peach (from Peach's Final Smash) to heal them.
not a bad idea i guess

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You know something? I am not a very big fan of Toad, but I actually do wish he were in Smash in one way or another. Somethibg's kept him out for four titles, and that's something I'm not liking.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
came back to support! i swear toad has been kept out for too long lol

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know... I want to see Toad get his own game again... but this time, it's a 2D side scrolling platformer Metroidvania-style game.

I really like Wonder Boy in Monster World... :p

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Sign me up! I'm more of a Captain Toad supporter, but will be happy either way.

Here's an idea that I had and posted to the speculation group:

Captain Toad could have a unique mechanic where he gains speed and jumping capabilities the more damage he takes. This is because each time he is hit, a number of things like coins and turnips fall out of his bag, so that his bag becomes lighter and lighter.

Think of him like Lucario - except rather than his damage and knockback output rising as he takes damage, it's his movement.

I thought it would be a way to make him even more unique, and counter the 'Captain Toad can't jump' discussion. At the start of the match, when he's on 0% he can't jump very high or run very fast - but he's also being knocked back less. However, as he takes more damage, he can suddenly run faster and recover better.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sign me up! I'm more of a Captain Toad supporter, but will be happy either way.

Here's an idea that I had and posted to the speculation group:

Captain Toad could have a unique mechanic where he gains speed and jumping capabilities the more damage he takes. This is because each time he is hit, a number of things like coins and turnips fall out of his bag, so that his bag becomes lighter and lighter.

Think of him like Lucario - except rather than his damage and knockback output rising as he takes damage, it's his movement.

I thought it would be a way to make him even more unique, and counter the 'Captain Toad can't jump' discussion. At the start of the match, when he's on 0% he can't jump very high or run very fast - but he's also being knocked back less. However, as he takes more damage, he can suddenly run faster and recover better.
added you to the support list which is what i assume you meant by sign me up

El Capitan is back!

So far, he hasn't been abandoned as a "relic of the wii u" like Petey sort of was for GC (yet)

Hoping to still see more from him in this gen

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Very happy to see that Captain Toad is still relevant in the Switch years.

Now Nintendo needs to make Captain Toad 2 for the Switch.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

El Capitan is back!

So far, he hasn't been abandoned as a "relic of the wii u" like Petey sort of was for GC (yet)

Hoping to still see more from him in this gen
Speaking of Petey, his presence in games is strangely dating. Like mullets in otherwise timeless 80's movies. Still, cool!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I saw a Rabbid dressed like Petey Piranha in that Mario + Rabbids game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
always happy to see captain toad, i imagine the toad amiibo will give mario a toad outfit

kind of hope theres a wii fit outfit for mario as well

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still wonder what Captain Toad's role will be in Super Mario Odyssey. Maybe the same as in Super Mario Galaxy games? It would be awesome if it had unlockable characters and you can play as Luigi and Captain Toad.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I still wonder what Captain Toad's role will be in Super Mario Odyssey. Maybe the same as in Super Mario Galaxy games? It would be awesome if it had unlockable characters and you can play as Luigi and Captain Toad.
I think he'll give Mario directions to a Moon, like "Well, I saw this SUPER INTERESTING GLITTER THING but I can't reach it because it's approximately a level-size away so yeah it's yours"

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I think he'll give Mario directions to a Moon, like "Well, I saw this SUPER INTERESTING GLITTER THING but I can't reach it because it's approximately a level-size away so yeah it's yours"
It's a spoiler, but thanks to press hands-on time with the game, Captain Toad's purpose in the game is already known.

This article explains the entirety of the appearance.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, that's all?

Hmm... Captain Toad 2 should happen... and it would be nice if the game is based on Super Mario Odyssey.

It would be fun to solve puzzles in New Donk City and sneak around a T-Rex.

Last edited:
Top Bottom