• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Brigade-shot.jpg

Sneak peek of what I'm working on. Hoping to complete by next week!

Quick question; apart from these outfits what should the remaining two palettes be for Captain Toad?

Last edited:

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 144659

Sneak peak of what I'm working on. Hoping to complete by next week!

Quick question; apart from these outfits what should the remaining two palettes be for Captain Toad?
Love the work!! It looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product!

When it came to palette swaps I was thinking Toadette would have some of her own palette swaps too. Instead of just one Toadette there could be a Toadette with 3 other palette swaps. Or if you don't wanna draw that why not take an idea out of Yoshi's page?

Black, Light Blue, Orange are some possible color options!
Also I really like the Mummy Me palette swap idea!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
View attachment 144659

Honestly, they should go for the Little Mac route. 16 palettes for Toad.

Toad

Red Toad

Captain Toad

Blue Toad

Hint Toad

Green Toad

Bank Toad

Yellow Toad

Yellow Toad (Toad Brigade)

Purple Toad

Mail Toad

Toadette

Orange Toadette

Archivist Toadette

Toadsworth

Toadsworth the Younger

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 144659

Sneak peak of what I'm working on. Hoping to complete by next week!

that looks great, id say toadsworth and perhaps one of the power up outfits like cat toad

Really have grown to appreciate the living mushroom recently. Add me to the list please!
you are added welcome, if you see a mummy-me run as fast as you can out the nearest exit

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I can agree that the more Toad palettes the better! Time to finally appreciate all those Toads we keep seeing in each game.

In terms of Toadette, I personally see her getting her own alts if they take the Robin/Corrin path and give Toadette an exclusive VO as well (which isn't too far of a stretch considering that both Toad and Toadette share the same voice actress). May as well give her a couple colour palette swaps at that rate.

Wonder if Nintendo would ever consider some faces from the RPGs for alts as well? Ah well, a Toad fanboy can wish can't he?

Last edited:

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
So guys... It happened to me...

I had a dream that Captain Toad was announced for Smash.

In the dream all we saw was a little bit of gameplay footage and the ONLY move that was shown was his dash attack. In the attack he rolled up into a ball and rolled forward a few times. And they said his heavy backpack did more damage than Toad himself.

And then this thread was going crazy! We kept posting videos of the gameplay, but each video was just Toad rolling forward with the dash attack. Lol.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

In the dream all we saw was a little bit of gameplay footage and the ONLY move that was shown was his dash attack. In the attack he rolled up into a ball and rolled forward a few times. And they said his heavy backpack did more damage than Toad himself.

And then this thread was going crazy! We kept posting videos of the gameplay, but each video was just Toad rolling forward with the dash attack. Lol.
Not going to lie, if that happened I dare say we would be making small edits until rolling Captain Toad was the number one Smash meme.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
ROLLING AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SHROOMS :4sonic:
GOT PORCINI TO GO GOTTA FOLLOW MY RAINBOW (ROAD)

CAN'T STICK AROUND, HAVE TO KEEP SHROOMING ON,
GUESS WHAT LIES AGARIC, ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!

MUSH KEEP ON SHROOMING AHEAD
NO TIME FUNGI SING, FOLLOW MY PLAN INSTEAD.
TRUST IN WHAT SHIITAKE,
TAKE MY LEAD I'LL STIPE YOU FREE!

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman

I'd be down for Toad to be rolling around the stage. He still looks adorable even as a ball regardless! xD

Let's hope our dreams for our mushroom headed buddy can become a reality this time!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... do Toad, Spyro, and Crash still have a chance?

I mean, we got another leak about Ice Climbers, Ridley, and Simon Belmont.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

A fine question.

There's some confusion over that Captain Toad + Crash + Spyro leak since a copycat posted he made it up but the initial poster as far as I know has not claimed anything.

Honestly at this point I have no clue but I don't think there's any evidence for it to be legit right now either.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

every year we get leaks listing nintendos showcase and so far i dont think weve had any legit ones

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Seems like Mario Tennis Aces has gained quite some popularity, any Toad supporters interested in purchasing it as well? I've always been a bit iffy about the Mario sports titles developed by Camelot especially during the GCN era in which Toad and Toadette were often relegated to being hosts (though Camelot certainly must have one developer that adores Boo considering its been on so many of the base rosters for their games o.o).

Despite this, recent titles developed by them have included both Toad and Toadette in as playable characters and Mario Tennis Aces brings back our favourite fungi pals. Looks like Toad's dash ability was also shown in this trailer around 2:46 as well - https://youtu.be/y-NkzONb2Bw?t=2m46s in which he bounces off his mushroom head to counter a fast ball.

Makes me wonder if we can even see Captain Toad as DLC? :p He's gained quite some steam, and tbh I wouldn't count anything out of the park for their titles considering we even have a Chain Chomp playable here! Despite this, super happy to see both Toad and Toadette playable here!

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Makes me wonder if we can even see Captain Toad as DLC? :p He's gained quite some steam, and tbh I wouldn't count anything out of the park for their titles considering we even have a Chain Chomp playable here! Despite this, super happy to see both Toad and Toadette playable here!
If he doesn’t get in Aces as a proper character, maybe he would get in as a costume, since costumes were confirmed via the pre-launch tournament having Overalls Mario as a bonus for participating.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Can we get a pickaxe tennis racket please?

A Captain Toad DLC/reward character/costume for Toad would be incredible.

Regardless this one is on my Switch Wish list(skipped the Wii U tennis since frankly seemed a bit too bare bones).

Staarih

Smash Master
Captain Toad in Aces would be great. Honestly, he could definitely become recurring in Mario spin-off's in general as a heavier variant of regular Toad.

I'm considering getting Mario Tennis Aces but then again, I have so many other games I still haven't got around to play haha! I'll try and take part in the pre-launch online thing to get a feel of it and then make my decision. It definitely looks good though.

And Treasure Tracker ain't too far either. The New Donk City stage alone makes me want to get it lol. But I already own the Wii U version and 100% it...

Last edited:

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Seems like Mario Tennis Aces has gained quite some popularity, any Toad supporters interested in purchasing it as well? I've always been a bit iffy about the Mario sports titles developed by Camelot especially during the GCN era in which Toad and Toadette were often relegated to being hosts (though Camelot certainly must have one developer that adores Boo considering its been on so many of the base rosters for their games o.o).

Despite this, recent titles developed by them have included both Toad and Toadette in as playable characters and Mario Tennis Aces brings back our favourite fungi pals. Looks like Toad's dash ability was also shown in this trailer around 2:46 as well - https://youtu.be/y-NkzONb2Bw?t=2m46s in which he bounces off his mushroom head to counter a fast ball.

I don't think I'll be getting Aces. The sports games don't do much for more me anymore. I enjoyed them on the N64 and some on the Gamecube... But they are all too similar to me and I just don't wanna spend the money on those types of games!
Maybe if I have some extra shopping money to spend I might pick it up. (But there are a few other games that are higher on my "to-buy" list at the moment!)

SonicMario

Smash Master

I'm starting to feel like this new leak may have more leg to it then the Toad, Spyro, and Crash one did. Now I'm not saying I'm TOTALLY convinced that Ice Climbers, Ridley, and Simon (Plus no cuts) are being revealed at E3. But a few things feel at least a little more believable. Won't say quite everything why I feel that way since that's not the topic here.

But on the subject of Captain Toad/Toad. In the purely hypothetical case that this leak is legit, I think Captain Toad still has a shot. The leak being true meaning the big announcements would be No cuts (That would make alot of people breath a sigh of relief), Ice Climbers (A return of a character that was hampered by the 3DS version of Smash 4), Ridley (One of THE most wanted 1st Party Newcomers of all-time, if not the most wanted newcomer ever), and Simon Belmont (The surprise 3rd party that would be pretty hype for their iconic past on Nintendo consoles). The hype of this alone would be enough for E3 to satisfy us for a good period until more character announcements. And a reminder that Captain Toad's port comes out just about exactly a month after E3. If they reveal characters at all like they did in the Smash 4 period. Captain Toad may just be the monthly character revealed tied in with a recent release and everything. That or a character that will be hidden and thus wait until the full base game roster is revealed.

As for Crash and Spyro. They're still more likely to be DLC candidates in my eyes. Seeing them both together right away is part of why I feel a little more skeptical of that one compared to the "Metroidvania on Ice" leak heh.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ive been thinking (and maybe one of us has made this point before) but why do we keep coming up for ideas as to how captain toad can suddenly jump? theres no explanation as to why the four pokemon that have type communities are effected by those types or how mario has several power up at once or how kirby has several copy abilities at once

surely we dont need a reason as to why he can suddenly jump when we dont have explanations for the others

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
ive been thinking (and maybe one of us has made this point before) but why do we keep coming up for ideas as to how captain toad can suddenly jump? theres no explanation as to why the four pokemon that have type communities are effected by those types or how mario has several power up at once or how kirby has several copy abilities at once

surely we dont need a reason as to why he can suddenly jump when we dont have explanations for the others
I agree!
And I think we have discussed this before a while ago? I remember someone mentioning that playability is much more important than staying true to the canon.

Like Mario doesn't have to grab a Fire Flower every time he needs to use his standard special.

Link doesn't have a limited supply of bombs.

So. Captain Toad should be able to jump, although he should have fairly poor jumps to callback to his appearances in Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario 3D World.

I do still love the idea of picking things up with his backpack (like absorbing moves like Game & Watch) and that makes him heavier but at the cost at higher jumps. Like... He can still jump it just gets a bit worse, but it makes him heavier. And he can dump the contents out at any time and it hits hard just like Game & Watch's move!

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, I think that Captain Toad's trait of not being able to jump in his games (and this is only due to his heavy backpack once more) would lead to a much more interesting moveset when translated to Smash Bros.. The backpack weight idea is very unique and would allow the Captain to be quite a flexible character to play as (need more weight? fill up your sack! Want a better air game? Lighten up!). Toad is known for having weak jumps regardless, so I'm not expecting Captain Toad/Toad to have a stellar jumping ability - he should be more happier on the ground as he scavenges about with speed and power while feeling vulnerable in the air.

Additionally, of all people to come with a moveset - I'm sure Sakurai and co can cook up some excuse for Captain Toad. He was so stern about Animal Crossing not having a rep prior to Brawl, but as of Smash 4, :4villager::4villagerf: came out and has quite a unique kit (even borrowing from Balloon Fight as well!). :4falcon:plays more like a character from Street Fighter as opposed to a character confined to his race kart while :4ness: borrows moves from his own partners. Character sizes are also incredibly off scale in comparison to the games these characters come from - just see :4olimar:, he's shouldn't be any bigger than a dime! This was all adjusted to add consistency to Smash Bros itself as well as for gameplay purposes. Captain Toad's jumping ability can easily be given a gimmick (whether it's a backpack weight shift/mini platform spawns/very low jumps) to justify a weak aerial game while staying true to his roots.

Again, this is all due to Captain Toad's heavy backpack which is meant to be a defining trait of his game's gameplay - not necessarily an indication that Captain Toad can't jump at all. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is the antithesis of the Super Mario series in which you're put into a situation where the most defining trait of the game series is suddenly taken away from you - the ability to stomp on your foes by jumping on top of them. Captain Toad is given this handicap to have players think of more craftier ways to beat the game - sure the levels are considerably smaller than a regular Mario platformer, but you begin to realize that you are a lot more vulnerable without a weapon (turnip/pickaxe/double cherry/headlamp/switches) as you can't jump. Hence, Captain Toad is only unable to jump to fit his game's niche.

In SMG2, we have the Toad Brigade even telling you that Captain Toad can wall jump too in the Fluffy Bluff Galaxy. Even the simple excuse of saying "Captain Toad packed light for this fight!" in Smash Bros., can work just fine as long as Captain Toad's jumps/aerial gameplay are weak to stay true to the nature of Toads having low jumps.

Simply saying Toad shouldn't be in Smash due to lack of jumps really does remind me of when :4villager::4villagerf: was not allowed to be in Smash due to the reasoning of s/he not being able to fight due to the peaceful nature of the AC games. Fast forward to the next Smash game, and we have one of the more arguably unique fighters be the Villager (as well as the first of the 1st party Nintendo characters to be revealed). Animal Crossing has become huge and its presence was like an elephant in the room by that point - Sakurai managed to cook up something unique, silly and fun to perfectly represent the series for the Villager. Captain Toad has become quite the star in recent years and having his game ported to more systems is only gonna bring him more spotlight (in addition to Toad's own fame over the years as well!), Nintendo really shouldn't hold him back just because he's not supposed to jump in his own game.

It's just sad to see how much criticism Toad gets each time. He has such a great resume of games in recent years, but there has always been some argument that finds its way like a bandwagon (too generic? too boring? already in Smash as a move despite the generic argument already being put out? too short limbs despite Kirby/Jiggs existing? can't jump?). Too be fair, some arguments bring up fair points; however, I really do hope Captain Toad can spark some interest in Sakurai's mind. Toads have been around for so long while many of us have also grown up with games in which Toad has been a hero (whether it be SMB2 and its remakes, Wario's Woods, NSMB Wii/U/Luigi, SM3DW, and now CT: TT and its ports). This also doesn't include the countless spin-off games he's been apart of especially Mario Kart. Not all characters have to stay 100% true to their game's philosophy, and Captain Toad's lack of jumping is again put to be a defining trait of his gameplay in CT: TT (the game simply wouldn't be unique if we suddenly had the captain jumping like Toad in SM3DW) - there's nothing saying that Captain Toad cannot jump by himself if his pack wasn't stuffed to the brim with treasure.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Hope Captain Toad and Bandana Dee get reveal together this E3 it would totally just rub a lot salt in the "Just a Generic NPC" Wound

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Hope Captain Toad and Bandana Dee get reveal together this E3 it would totally just rub a lot salt in the "Just a Generic NPC" Wound
I was kiiinda hoping the same thing. I feel like Bandana Dee and Captain Toad are in the same boat and I'd love to see them both come together in a joint reveal!

I also think it would be cute if Captain Toad showed up with Captain Falcon and Captain Olimar too. I like both of those ideas!

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I definitely think Captain Toad's inability to jump (with his back back full) will and should be acknowledged in his Smash playstyle. It's a defining trait of the character. Him being able to jump is not really comparable to Mario not needing the fire flower to shoot fireballs or Link having an unlimited supply of bombs. Those are things that usually aren't possible in the games, but make sense to change in Smash. Captain Toad not being able to jump at any time does not make sense to change, because it's actually a big deal... in a good way. I don't think him not being able to jump at any time is a hindrance to his chances. I think it helps his chances a lot. Sakurai is all about unique traits for newcomers. Having some mechanic where his back pack normally doesn't allow him to jump, but does if it's made lighter, by emptying items and using them in battle, makes so much sense. Just making him able to jump at any time just doesn't seem like something Sakurai would do. I don't even think simply giving him a bad jump is a good substitute. Tying Captain Toad's back pack and jumping into his gameplay should be a priority.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
WELCOME TO THE CAPTAIN TOAD DOJO!

Little update on that Captain Toad moveset I'm working on!

PICK YOUR DESTINY!

Pickaxe-Captain-Toad-2.gif

The Pickaxe of course will feature heavily in Captain Toad's moveset, here's an example of his down Smash in action!

The tip deals double damage to buried opponents so the Pitfall is a perfect item for Captain Toad to take advantage of!

I'm sadly away for a little while, but the whole thing is coming soon! Enjoy the teaser!​

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Very cute and exactly how I envision the pickaxe to be used. Perhaps an edge guarding tool too (or a frenzy mode where Captain Toad goes berserk with it too :p?).

Looking forward to the rest!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The Pickaxe of course will feature heavily in Captain Toad's moveset, here's an example of his down Smash in action!

The tip deals double damage to buried opponents so the Pitfall is a perfect item for Captain Toad to take advantage of!

I'm sadly away for a little while, but the whole thing is coming soon! Enjoy the teaser!​
Very nice. People have been clamoring for a Fire Emblem axe wielder... what if we get a pickaxe wielder instead? :awesome:

Ooh! Could you draw Toad as a Fire Emblem character with a pickaxe? :laugh:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
While we may not have any news for Smash just yet, remember that Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker will be coming out for both the Switch and 3DS on July 13!

Little new footage of the New Donk City stage in this trailer (0:39)! Definitely picking up the Switch version myself once it comes out. :D

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
While we may not have any news for Smash just yet, remember that Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker will be coming out for both the Switch and 3DS on July 13!

Little new footage of the New Donk City stage in this trailer (0:39)! Definitely picking up the Switch version myself once it comes out. :D
I am picking up the Switch version as well!
I 100% completed the Wii U version. And I probably wouldn't be buying the Switch version if I wasn't such a hardcore Toad fan. Lol!

I even considered getting the 3DS version.
. and I probably would if I had all the money in the world, lol. But I am gonna save my wallet and just get the Switch version!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Captain Toad and Toadette for Smash 5

Top Bottom