• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Tap Jump, or not to Tap Jump?

• Thread starter Deleted member 269706
  • Start date

Do you use tap jump?

• Yes

Votes: 81 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 249 68.8%
  • Depends

Votes: 32 8.8%

• Total voters

Stilll Alive

Smash Cadet
Truthfully I think it's a lot of adapting that can make this go either way, I'm pretty good at short hops with tap jump, I just can't get used to x or y jumping because my roots are a lot of street fighter and mortal kombat games, but I will say if I was taking the game fat like playing regionals and nationals I would probably have to change, just to be faster or equal to your opponent

Last edited:

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
i usually keep tap jump off but in brawl i sometimes use it with marth for upb out of shield or MK for uair planking.

utilt/usmash/uair shouldnt be a problem with tap jump on, and just because you have tap jump on doesnt mean you need to use it... if you can play comfortably with tap jump on but without using it as your main jump button, its probably for the better, but its not that important unless it helps with some specific tech.

Last edited:

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Off for 3DS because whoa that circle pad is hard to not accidentally make myself double jump or miss tilts.

However, I main Samus and I'll tell you, she suffers hard with it off because as usual she has few viable OOS options, and for some stupid reason Sakurai once again doesn't allow up-b's oos without tap jump on. Seriously, I can't wrap my head around the reasoning, but I digress. With Samus its not as good an idea to drop shield then up-b or to jump + up-b oos because you don't properly take advantage of the invincibility frames on start up with a grounded screw attack which is really her only strong counter to quick, lagless or near lagless short-hop shield pressure. So once I have a c-stick you can bet I'll be practicing with tap jump on.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I keep it on but I don't use it always. Probably screwed up my control scheme, I use x/y for all my short hops and aerials but tap jump for actual recoveries and jumps.

Only issue arises is oos uptilts are harder, but upairs are easier (with the c-stick if you include falling/fast fall uair) I think I'll use this last week of smash 3ds to work tap jump out of my scheme completely. I've noticed I've always been bad about using uptilts, tap jump is probably why.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Of course the night I begin playing without tap jump is the night I actually find decent plays in for glory... I think, maybe I'm struggling more than I thought I was adapting, but after about 100 stocks of cpus I went on for glory and started working it in. Played about 5 players who could actually combo and pressure properly. Really annoyed me I had to be so mechanical with my jumps while getting good experience.

I think I'll use this last week of smash 3ds to get used it.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Off for 3DS because whoa that circle pad is hard to not accidentally make myself double jump or miss tilts.

However, I main Samus and I'll tell you, she suffers hard with it off because as usual she has few viable OOS options, and for some stupid reason Sakurai once again doesn't allow up-b's oos without tap jump on. Seriously, I can't wrap my head around the reasoning, but I digress. With Samus its not as good an idea to drop shield then up-b or to jump + up-b oos because you don't properly take advantage of the invincibility frames on start up with a grounded screw attack which is really her only strong counter to quick, lagless or near lagless short-hop shield pressure. So once I have a c-stick you can bet I'll be practicing with tap jump on.
I'm in the same boat as you as far as "Tap Jump OFF for 3ds, on for Wii U."

But, the reason for that is because up B OoS isn't actually a mechanic. Jump out of shield is a mechanic, and Jumping canceling into up B is another mechanic. If up doesn't jump, its only natural that you cant get out of shield with an Up B.

Also, you can still use up B / usmash OoS with tap jump off by hitting the jump button right before the upB/usmash.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I disagree that it is "just preference". Tap jump is a handicap. Pure and simple. It is infinitely better to have 100% objective control of your jump in the form of a button.

If the preference is to live with the risk of jumping when you don't mean to, then yeah, it's "just preference".

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
I disagree that it is "just preference". Tap jump is a handicap. Pure and simple. It is infinitely better to have 100% objective control of your jump in the form of a button.

If the preference is to live with the risk of jumping when you don't mean to, then yeah, it's "just preference".
lmao u still have 100% control with tap jump, if you dont suck you actually have more control

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
lmao u still have 100% control with tap jump, if you dont suck you actually have more control
Forcing yourself to have to avoid push up too quickly gives you more control? You do realize that most 3DS units lack C stick, right? I wager I can do up airs far more reliably than you without ever accidentally burning a jump.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I'm in the same boat as you as far as "Tap Jump OFF for 3ds, on for Wii U."

But, the reason for that is because up B OoS isn't actually a mechanic. Jump out of shield is a mechanic, and Jumping canceling into up B is another mechanic. If up doesn't jump, its only natural that you cant get out of shield with an Up B.

Also, you can still use up B / usmash OoS with tap jump off by hitting the jump button right before the upB/usmash.
I don't know about that, and thats not me being snide. :p

In shield you can just press up-b and it happens, no other inputs are needed so long as tap jump is left on. Its been that way since Melee (I can't remember if its in ssb64 but I assume it had to be). Oos jump + up-b/utilt works sure, but that split second delay which wouldn't be there otherwise is often is enough to miss an oos up-b (the hitbox is relatively small), and again with the invisibility frames it seems a waste to use that way. I'm willing to concede that its mostly the character itself and not the option that I have difficulty wanting to use it that way.

Still, you're probably right that it was never meant to work directly out of shield, seems like something Sakurai would disagree with. :p

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
Forcing yourself to have to avoid push up too quickly gives you more control? You do realize that most 3DS units lack C stick, right? I wager I can do up airs far more reliably than you without ever accidentally burning a jump.
lmao who cares about the 3ds vrsion im talking about for wii u but anyways if u read my posts i only use tap jump sometimes with certain characters... lmao also wont the new 3ds have a cstick so bye..

SmashSensei

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperHorace
3DS FC
0791-2756-6377
I'm currently switching from a tap jumper to a non-tap jumper. My biggest observation is that I feel tethered to the ground, where tap jump allowed a free flow from dash to jump or something that didn't clash directionally. Jumping with X definitely clashes directionally if you're dashing, but it makes sense, and I feel more powerful and less powerful at the same time. I also feel more in control of my aerials. Tap jump off seems to be the better choice for Rosalumas.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Uair is not an issue if you use the C-stick though. I can see why Up smash gives people issues, but I've been tap jumping for like 12 years so I've probably gotten used to it.
i dont understand how anyone uses tap jump and can pull of a utilt
Often through planning in advance and tilting up while still in the ending lag of a move. Something I have been trying to incorporate is tilting up not all the way but only slightly for my up tilts.

However, I may be turning tap jump off soon. I've worked myself to use the left bumper to jump rather than tap jumping. Now, I just have the tap jump on because there are some very specific habitual things I need to work on, such as my use of tap jump after letting go of the edge.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
My problem with it being off is up b out of shield. I know it's still possible my quickly jumping then up b, but it's just not the same to me..

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
My problem with it being off is up b out of shield. I know it's still possible my quickly jumping then up b, but it's just not the same to me..
Setting whichever trigger you don't use to shield usually fixes this for most people.

I can't use tap jump. My hands shake too much and my input with up is way too inconsistent due to it if I can't just press it all the way up for tilts/smashes. 100% personal preference.

hidensheik11

Smash Apprentice
I've never liked tap jump. In the other games it's no big deal, but in Smash 3DS it's almost a must to have tap jump off for any character with a good Up-Smash, Up-tilt or a good Up-B attack on the ground (that's at least half the roster.) I just can't do tap jump, it made playing the demo a pain sometimes.
Why would you turn tap jump off for characters with a good up-smash and good up-b? Turning tap jump off means you can't up smash out of sheild or up-b out of sheild. I jump with x and y but still have tap jump on so that I can upsmash out of sheild with fox or up-b out of sheild with Luigi to ko people.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I play with it on because I main Bowser and up+b OOS is a bread and butter punish for him.

I'd prefer to play with it off if possible, but I can't hit the Y and B buttons on the GC controller simultaneously. :\

Pepto_Bismol

Smash Rookie
I keep it off so I don't accidentally jump when trying to do Usmashes or upbs from the ground. That and it makes shorthop aeriels (especially Uair) much easier to perform.

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
As a Zelda main, having tap to jump on helps tremendously. The momentum you can get during the startup of Farore's Wind lets you do so much more, and I always use the C-Stick for Uairs so I don't accidentally waste a jump. I've adapted to barely pressing up for Utilts, so for the sake of recovery I always keep tap to jump on.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Since I like doing Uptilts without accidentally jumping, and since I like being able to use Uair while saving my second jump, I do not use tap jump. I remember that I kept SD'ing when I first turned it off but it was worth getting used to because tap jump sucks.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Why would you turn tap jump off for characters with a good up-smash and good up-b? Turning tap jump off means you can't up smash out of sheild or up-b out of sheild. I jump with x and y but still have tap jump on so that I can upsmash out of sheild with fox or up-b out of sheild with Luigi to ko people.
Because it's harder to execute in every other situation and I use jump button for that anyway.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to say this in case you didn't know and maybe for others if they didn't know: You can up-smash out of shield or up+b out of shield with tap jump off by pressing the jump button and then inputting your up smash/ up+b input (example: x then up + a on GCN). It's actually not that hard to do as some people think, but I still prefer tap jump on.

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
For people having trouble with their Oos options without tap jump, you can always set whatever trigger you don't sheild with to jump. It will take a little getting use to though.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
I can't stand tap jumping. It messes me up when trying to perform an uptilt for combo set ups or edgeguards. That's why I have it off on the 3DS version (Would also turn it off on Wii U version, if I had it).

pixelatedcody

Pixelated Inkling
NNID
cncody
Honestly I leave it on, However I do have my C-stick mapped to attack (for Tilts), and I mostly end up pressing x/y to jump anyway.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Unlike in Melee and Project M, tap jump lets you jump out of shield, letting you do Usmash or Uspecial out of shield. However, due to how lagless shield dropping is in a game that doesn't demand precision I'd say tap jump off is the best way to go.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
At first I used tap jump and then realizing I could never do up tilts quickly and easily, I turned it off. It was insanely hard the first day of using x and y to jump but after a few days I got the hang of it and I turn off tap jump all the time

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't use it. Messes with my aerials when I have it on.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Been having it off ever since I started playing Smash.

I started getting use to other buttons like X to jump and I've been sticking it with me for the past while. Since I play on 3DS, doing up tilts have been so much easier without doing an accidental jump (that 3DS stick can be a pain to work with).

I use to have tap jump on but the significant ease of access with it off has made me have better control of the game than I did before.

Pyr

Smash Lord
It's valuable to learn to play with Tap Jump on. Stick control is important and, when you can do tilts/SH Uairs with it on, you should turn it off to guarantee slight mistakes won't happen. The delicate control is the benefit of it being on. The guarantee of no mistakes is the benefit of it being off. It's extremely useful to be able to play either way.

Flamecircle

Smash Apprentice
I always play with tap jump on, but I've been trying to transition to left bumper jump. It's going alright, except for one major issue: It's nearly impossible to shorthop with a bumper using some characters like Megaman.

It's really bothering me too, because he's the only character I feel bumper jumping actually improves, since he can jump after his up-b. I guess I need to learn to softly press up on the control stick to up-b.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Part of the preference comes from what kind of gameplay background you have. Some prefer the game to feel similar to other fighting games, which is where tap jump comes into play. I come from a platformer background, so tap jump isn't comfortable nor reliable for me. Leaving it off is one extra input that I don't use not going to get in the way of what I want to do. With time I could adapt (played enough MK and SF in my day to at least know I can) but the only benefit I'd have is if the tourney organizers have a thing against having tap jump off.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I prefer leaving tap jump on. I find it easier to juggle opponents when it is left on, and I have never had any problems with a jump coming out instead of an up tilt, which Palutena, one of my mains, rarely even uses.

Of course, it really comes down to personal preference. If you find it easier to continue combos and perform the up tilt with it off, then it's best you turn it off.

hidensheik11

Smash Apprentice
I'm just going to say this in case you didn't know and maybe for others if they didn't know: You can up-smash out of shield or up+b out of shield with tap jump off by pressing the jump button and then inputting your up smash/ up+b input (example: x then up + a on GCN). It's actually not that hard to do as some people think, but I still prefer tap jump on.
Upsmash works while still ho
wow I was so used to jump canceling to upsmash with the circle pad, did not know about this, thanks

Top Bottom