• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To "I suck at smash and it isn't fun any more in For Glory"

SoujiroElric

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-1665-5738
Thank you for the matches. Good games. Definitely I need way more practise.

D

Deleted member 268018

I'm connected!
Alrightie. Your recovery game needs serious work. A lot of your deaths were poor recovery attempts at like 27%. That kills you.

Let's see. Your brawling technique isn't bad by any means. You'll get the feel for how every other character operates in the future. That comes with time. You didn't know Yoshi could cheap Egg Kill you when you're 100%. You didn't know Marth could Spike. Stuff like that.

Experiment. Don't just play Lucina.

Abuse your power. Lucina has REACH. Stay out of my range while still hitting me.

SoujiroElric

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-1665-5738
Alrightie. Your recovery game needs serious work. A lot of your deaths were poor recovery attempts at like 27%. That kills you.

Let's see. Your brawling technique isn't bad by any means. You'll get the feel for how every other character operates in the future. That comes with time. You didn't know Yoshi could cheap Egg Kill you when you're 100%. You didn't know Marth could Spike. Stuff like that.

Experiment. Don't just play Lucina.

Abuse your power. Lucina has REACH. Stay out of my range while still hitting me.
I'd like to experiment but I believe I should stay with Lucina until my game gets better, or else I may have to learn yet another character which may hinder me.

I agree with the recovery stuff. I'm really bad at it. I have to practice that way more. Do I just go into training mode, throw off myself and try to recover until I can do it effortlessly?

I've tried to do medium range stuff with Lucina but apparently her range isn't enough. Or maybe I should just learn the other character's ranges. Maybe I could try hit-and-run?

link2702

Smash Champion
stuck around the 70% range in for glory.

trying to main shulk, a character that so far seems to be seriously....lacking, and I feel is hurting my win/loss ratio a lot.....anytime I switch to someone like robin, sonic, jigglypuff, (due to being similar to their brawl forms only...better, sonic especially, still has a couple tricks out of his side b, on top of some new ones, making for an even better mind*****character than in brawl, and best part is, it feels a lot easier to kill with him this time.) or sheik, I tend to get far better results.

*sigh* but Xenoblade is my most favorite game of the last decade, and seeing shulk in smash made me squeal like a schoolgirl. So I'm trying to force myself to use a character that doesn't seem all to good. :C

Last edited:

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
stuck around the 70% range in for glory.

trying to main shulk, a character that so far seems to be seriously....lacking, is hurting my win/loss ratio a lot.....anytime I switch to someone like robni, sonic, jigglypuff, (due to being similar to their brawl forms only...better) or sheik, I tend to get far better results.

*sigh* but Xenoblade is my most favorite game of the last decade, and seeing shulk in smash made me squeal like a schoolgirl. So I'm trying to force myself to use a character that doesn't seem all to good. :C
Shulk's great! He's my main. He's just quite different. He's certainly not the strongest, but it's not hard at all to do well with him in For Glory.

Spam nairs. they autocancel. Try to land either as far away from them as you can after hitting them with the nair, or just past them so they can't grab/counterattack.

Don't use your arts randomly. Especially Buster, Smash and Jump. If you're finding yourself doing poorly, increasing the punishment you're receiving is counterproductive.

And lastly, learn your ranges and your opponents ranges. You outrange people. You want to stay just outside of your range, so when they make a bad move you can hop in and mess with them. If they can run up to you and get a hit or grab in, you're too close.

D

Deleted member 268018

Shulk's great! He's my main. He's just quite different. He's certainly not the strongest, but it's not hard at all to do well with him in For Glory.

Spam nairs. they autocancel. Try to land either as far away from them as you can after hitting them with the nair, or just past them so they can't grab/counterattack.

Don't use your arts randomly. Especially Buster, Smash and Jump. If you're finding yourself doing poorly, increasing the punishment you're receiving is counterproductive.

And lastly, learn your ranges and your opponents ranges. You outrange people. You want to stay just outside of your range, so when they make a bad move you can hop in and mess with them. If they can run up to you and get a hit or grab in, you're too close.

I HATE Shulk's Range. Trying to approach Shulk is a pain in the butt. Use your reach. Abuse it.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I'm terrible. I get my butt kicked easily in every mode in this game.

I'm still having fun XD.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
I've been doing that for the past hour or so. Apparently I can't beat lvl 9 CPUs consistently and it seems I tend to get off-screen most of the time when I try, mostly because of bad spacing with the edge.

Thank you, I'm doing right that. My only question is, what kind of techniques should I practice? Right now I have short hopping and aerial attacks, edge-guarding, not smashing everything on sight, ukemi (press R before landing on the stage to avoid lag), shield grabbing... that's about it.

Then I'm about in time to worry about that. Add me!
Have you heard about wavebouncing (dashing??? lol)? It is some new tech that has been discovered and it really messes my opponents up. You can watch it here. http://smashboards.com/threads/perfect-pivot-foxtrotting-dashdancing.371139/ Not as technical as it sounds.

Edit: Adding. Maybe you could help train my secondary, Lucario lol.

Last edited:

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke

Yeah Shulks range really makes any swordfighter butthurt. But in reality, you are mostly making any one with projectiles do hardcore spam. I am guilty of it myself.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
I can't stand playing online anymore until I replace my stick and triggers. Tilting instead of smashing is too frustrating.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I lost a couple matches in a row yesterday and I was starting to think my level wasn't enough to play For Glory anymore, but then after a while players of my level were matched against me and then order was restored. This game's matchmaking isn't reliable. :c I do think I need to read up strategies, match ups and complicated stuff about my favorite characters if I don't want to lag behind, though :)

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
I lost a couple matches in a row yesterday and I was starting to think my level wasn't enough to play For Glory anymore, but then after a while players of my level were matched against me and then order was restored. This game's matchmaking isn't reliable. :c I do think I need to read up strategies, match ups and complicated stuff about my favorite characters if I don't want to lag behind, though :)
Unfortunately, matchmaking is never reliable.

Unfortunately? Sorry, that was supposed to be fortunately.

Losing matches is GREAT! First off, you can't expect to win every match. Losing a couple matches in a row is 100% normal. And mathematically required. If 'balanced' means winning every game, where are the losers? How does everyone win the game all the time?

Plus losing is great from a developmental standpoint. You need to see players better than you to improve. You also need to get poked in all your weak spots (hurr durr) which is exactly what better players do.

Also spammers. All of those spammers are poking you right in your weakest spot. Even if they're clearly worse than you ( -_- )
you're slowly learning how do deal with all of that bull****.

Sorry, this was directed at everyone, not just you.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Win rate of 48-ish%. All I can say is I despise playing against Little Mac and have considered just SD'ing and leaving the game. I almost went through with it once but came to my senses last moment and decided to go out fighting. I still lost, but I did it with dignity (or at least I would like to think I did).

I always play a match with ROB because he's awesome and I want to main him, but I rarely win matches with him. Any tips on how to get better with ROB? said no one, ever.

Last edited:

Reila

Unfortunately, matchmaking is never reliable.

Unfortunately? Sorry, that was supposed to be fortunately.

Losing matches is GREAT! First off, you can't expect to win every match. Losing a couple matches in a row is 100% normal. And mathematically required. If 'balanced' means winning every game, where are the losers? How does everyone win the game all the time?

Plus losing is great from a developmental standpoint. You need to see players better than you to improve. You also need to get poked in all your weak spots (hurr durr) which is exactly what better players do.

Also spammers. All of those spammers are poking you right in your weakest spot. Even if they're clearly worse than you ( -_- )
you're slowly learning how do deal with all of that bull****.

Sorry, this was directed at everyone, not just you.
I agree that losing/having a lot of trouble to win is great, but being matched against people WAY above your level certainly isn't. As I said in the "find the player" thread, I played against a person named otis yesterday and their Kirby was great! I had to work hard and be creative with my character to top their Kirby! That was fun and I am sure I learned a few tricks with the matches against otis. On the other hand, when I am matched against way over my level and I can barely land a move on their character, I don't feel I am learning. It it only frustrating and discouraging. So I would say the unreliable match making is a double edged sword.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
This is the first game a lot of people have tried to play competitively and they don't realize they're not the only ones trying to get better at the game.

I say let them cry it out. It's basically a life experience. In time they'll find out that no one cares to hear their self-pity.
Well,this is a terrible post,especially since those people are signed up on a website that's more than dedicated enough to helping them improve their game.I see nothing wrong here.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I usually sit somewhere between 30%-38%, but I more or less expected that. Prior to the 3DS release I had not played Brawl or Melee for at least 3 years and never Project M. I wasn't that great at the game prior to that point either, it's been so long since I did anything 1v1 that it's pretty clear that I was going to be pretty bad.

Last edited:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Idk where to start, I don't have too much trouble in For Glory, my win rate is near 80%. It just gets really annoying, and dare I say, boring after a while. Many opponents you'll face use ridiculous tactics a top level player wouldn't try to do (constant rolls, spam counters, etc), but it works online because you expect them to be somewhat decent and you watch those top players and adjust your playstyle and matchup accordingly. At least, that's how it's like for me. Then when you find an actual decent player, you get wrecked, rip. I've lost many games due to lag and the 3DS's **** controls.

You also have those people that you destroy in a few games and they switch to Little Mac or something, expecting to win. I don't have problems with him, but his playstyle is incredibly annoying to manage when you're fighting such a distinct character.

I don't take For Glory too seriously, I usually just choose a random character (rather than my main) and see how I fare with them, but it is still very frustrating.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Well,this is a terrible post,especially since those people are signed up on a website that's more than dedicated enough to helping them improve their game.I see nothing wrong here.
They can always try to get better instead of crying about how bad they are. No one likes a whiner, except those looking to validate their opinion.

Last edited:
:4link: - HUH SYAAAAA TAAAAHYAAAH!! (arrow,boomorung and other spammy stuff)

My online sessions in a nut shell.
If I'm fighting someone who has me outclassed in speed and power, of course I'll use my projectiles to keep them away and rack up damage. Link is just really good at that.

If you're fighting a Link player, just use a character that can use their projectiles against them. That'll cripple them, and force an up-close fight you can probably win.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Let's see... But first my win rate is about 89% outta 428 1v1 battles.

:4littlemac: Just the mention of this guy is self-explanatory. He's the most common character in For Glory for most of us.

Roll spammers... Yea. It's still a surprise this game buffed those kinda players.

:4lucina: I hate this one so very much. My first ever For Glory loss was because of one of these. Aside from my hatred for counter spam, there's just something that makes me hate her. Is it because I don't like Marth or clones, and the fact that she's partially both? She's just annoying, idk how to explain it. I do remember I fought a spammy one a day ago where I SD'd the first match due to the controls (Then again my circle pad was kinda messed up anyways), then I got frustrated and lost it. I'm prepared for early grudges.

Oh Dark Pit... how I get annoyed with you a lot. It's not just because of the clone routine which I have to skip, but I'm many of us are annoyed with the Side-B spam. It's like Brawl Pit's except it can actually kill. It's all the more annoying when trying to anticipate that instead of roll spam.

:4pacman: I know I hated him from the start, and I tried to get used to him, but after a lucky idiot kept running away, jumping around, spamming the hydrant and projectile and even hung by the ledge a lot (Palutena can't hit many characters hanging on the ledge without pursuing em off stage), did a few other things, and got lucky with a Sudden Death, I now feel like I permanently hate him. I shoulda realized he was gonna be an obnoxious camper.

I never liked the character, I tried to get used to it, but the first time I fought one was a camper... Yea, so many Side-B's and exploding cans, with grabs often being an approach. And to think he'd be a high tier too, hate him so much. Good thing I don't see many of them... yet.

Rosalina... Honestly idk what to say yet. She's annoying with the Luma, and I haven't fought a good player who uses her yet. I can already dread of what I'm gonna get myself into if I do see one.

:4link: Only the good ones that spam both projectiles and the Z-air, but I don't see many Links as it is.

:4yoshi: :4bowser: Oh, why did they have to buff you both so much? For Bowser's case, I like him, but I may not use him much anymore due to tiers, and it's complicated. All the Bowsers I've seen atm are noob ones, and since he's buffed, he's just more difficult. Yoshi's case, he's still weird, but the buffs. Idk. I need to work on it.

:4sheik: :4greninja: Early high tiers, and I don't even like ninjas. The Greninja issue is about the ones doing the roll spam and Shadow Sneak spam. Sheik overall is just annoying...

I guess the general issues are the basic roll spammers (and counter spammers if applicable), too many Macs, and campers, as well as a few characters with noticeable annoying spam, like that bit with the Charizard Side-B.
Oh, and let's not forget lag if it happens.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
I used to think I was pretty decent at Smash Bros!

Until I played For Glory.

Christ on a bike, all of the things I thought I could easily deal with end up completely destroying me. People that use the same move over and over, roll constantly, persistently use smash attack, Little Mac. And whenever I attempt to punish these things, I end up missing and making myself look like an idiot. Despite being such a "meh" player, I still manage to have more wins than losses in For Glory (a solid 60% win rate, which is still pretty crap). Maybe it's because I main characters like Luigi and Ness, but oh well. I honestly just want to not suck at a game I've been pretty passionate about for so many years haha.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I have also been seeing a lot of new comers post and then get flamed by of older players. Please guys, if you suspect you are getting trolled or flamed, report them.

Secondly, let me be the first one to shed some light on something you new comers might not recognize. You guys are our new blood and our new future for a bigger more balanced game. For many years Brawl had a very stagnant scene, I am hoping you all will change that.

So my speech to the new comers(and to stay on topic), this is a game at the end of the day. This is a easier kind of fighting game versus the other genres out there. It can be frustrating to start out and have no one there to lend an ear to hear your troubles. There are those of us who will listen to you, you should shoot those people a pm(even me if you want) if you need advice or help. Because I care about seeing the scene thrive, and others should care if they want to see our scene grow. However, in regards to For Glory Modes-- you need to treat online mode as a training montage. The numbers do not mean anything about your performance on any given day. There are too many variables that make the online for the 3DS not an idea place to judge ones capabilities as a fighter. Like lag for example. What the competitive community cares about in terms of your performance is the offline tournament scene and has done this for many, many years. How do you train for that? Online! Or with your buddies in person if you have the capacity. You will not get better over night. But you will get better if you develop the right attitude and invest your options in the right place. The only way to do this is to rely on yourself and on others to bolster your fighting skills.

Now get out there, get the help you need, get the matches in, get the feedback you all need to improve.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who SDs if an opponent screws up and, for whatever reasons, ends up accidentally freefalling off the stage?

No, I'm not usually such a nice person. I simply thought it was an etiquette of sorts. On my first day in FG, I ended up killing myself plenty of times by accidentally Din's Firing instead of FW, and thanks to Sakurai's team deciding to take a break and hand the design of Zelda over to a bunch of five-year-olds, Din's Fire still freefalls. After each of my deaths, my opponent would SD, so as to "start over" the match, but from one-stock. I've done that for every one of my matches since for opponents who accidentally SD, but never see the same treatment in return. I feel like I'm one of the very few.

Anyone else as stupidly polite as me?

Anyways, out of 170 matches, my win rate is 60% flat (102 victories). As a Zelda main (go ahead and laugh), I've been keeping track of characters I've lost to many multiple times. They are:

Lucario (**** this guy. Every time I think of Bowser, Yoshi, this guy, and Sheik I feel like exploding)
Dark Pit
Pac-Man (This one girl I played was just too good with him, but by now I've figured a way around him)
Robin
Fox
Sheik

I've had the blessing of playing mostly noob and highly impatient Little Macs, which made crushing them with Dair spikes very satisfying.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who SDs if an opponent screws up and, for whatever reasons, ends up accidentally freefalling off the stage?

No, I'm not usually such a nice person. I simply thought it was an etiquette of sorts. On my first day in FG, I ended up killing myself plenty of times by accidentally Din's Firing instead of FW, and thanks to Sakurai's team deciding to take a break and hand the design of Zelda over to a bunch of five-year-olds, Din's Fire still freefalls. After each of my deaths, my opponent would SD, so as to "start over" the match, but from one-stock. I've done that for every one of my matches since for opponents who accidentally SD, but never see the same treatment in return. I feel like I'm one of the very few.

Anyone else as stupidly polite as me?

Anyways, out of 170 matches, my win rate is 60% flat (102 victories). As a Zelda main (go ahead and laugh), I've been keeping track of characters I've lost to many multiple times. They are:

Lucario (**** this guy. Every time I think of Bowser, Yoshi, this guy, and Sheik I feel like exploding)
Dark Pit
Pac-Man (This one girl I played was just too good with him, but by now I've figured a way around him)
Robin
Fox
Sheik

I've had the blessing of playing mostly noob and highly impatient Little Macs, which made crushing them with Dair spikes very satisfying.
Your character destroys my character, mate. I use Mega Man and Zelda is usually a big pain to fight because that damn reflector move can be spammed in place and it still shuts down our options to a large degree. Have you fought any Mega Men, and would you say that he is an easy MU for you if you have?

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Your character destroys my character, mate. I use Mega Man and Zelda is usually a big pain to fight because that damn reflector move can be spammed in place and it still shuts down our options to a large degree. Have you fought any Mega Men, and would you say that he is an easy MU for you if you have?
I've fought a few Mega Mans before, and yes, I remember two-stocking him probably every single match. Nayru's Love works beautifully on his projectile options, forcing him to approach (Which is largely Zelda's style, anyway: Counteroffensive). Most people get angry and attempt Usmash (which has incredible range but is punishable). Din's Fire -> Dthrow ->Nair -> up close damage-racking from there.

I've only attributed my success in Mega Man MUs to people's unfamiliarity with his meta. Give it a few months at the max, and you'll have him worked out. I'm pretty sure quite a few people here have already, and given I'm not used to Zelda entirely myself, I'm putting off those match-ups till later.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I've fought a few Mega Mans before, and yes, I remember two-stocking him probably every single match. Nayru's Love works beautifully on his projectile options, forcing him to approach (Which is largely Zelda's style, anyway: Counteroffensive). Most people get angry and attempt Usmash (which has incredible range but is punishable). Din's Fire -> Dthrow ->Nair -> up close damage-racking from there.

I've only attributed my success in Mega Man MUs to people's unfamiliarity with his meta. Give it a few months at the max, and you'll have him worked out. I'm pretty sure quite a few people here have already, and given I'm not used to Zelda entirely myself, I'm putting off those match-ups till later.
Every single Mega Man on these boards is saying that Zelda is a horrible MU for Mega Man, I doubt it's just unfamiliarity with the meta. Anyways, I've been trying Dr. Mario as a secondary but he's honestly not sitting right with me. I rarely win fights with him even against scrubs and I don't know what to do with him. I'll probably consider Falco although I don't like him in the new game. If I don't like him either, I'll just go mainstream and pick Bowser, Greninja or Rosalina as a secondary.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Every single Mega Man on these boards is saying that Zelda is a horrible MU for Mega Man, I doubt it's just unfamiliarity with the meta. Anyways, I've been trying Dr. Mario as a secondary but he's honestly not sitting right with me. I rarely win fights with him even against scrubs and I don't know what to do with him. I'll probably consider Falco although I don't like him in the new game. If I don't like him either, I'll just go mainstream and pick Bowser, Greninja or Rosalina as a secondary.
noooo don't go over to the dark side

For Dr. Mario: Try projectile spamming to force approaches? Try using Dthrow -> Utilt/Usmash -> (If your opponent is stupid) Uair/Bair/Nair combos. I haven't touched Dr. Mario; I'm only basing my thoughts off a handful of matches I've played as Mario. I figure Dr. Mario would play very similarly.

Reila

If I don't like him either, I'll just go mainstream and pick Bowser, Greninja or Rosalina as a secondary.
What about the other 40 characters in the game?

Anthuhny

Smash Cadet
When I perfectly spaced an airial on rosalina's shield (as Lucina) and then got punished for it i had my doubts about continuing on, but when luma hit me and broke the grab I had on Rosalina, thats when I knew this game isn't for me.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
When I perfectly spaced an airial on rosalina's shield (as Lucina) and then got punished for it i had my doubts about continuing on, but when luma hit me and broke the grab I had on Rosalina, thats when I knew this game isn't for me.
So because a character counters yours/your character got nerfed, you're quitting? That's kinda weak.

D

Deleted member 268018

My win rate is about at 53.47 or something. I get my face smashed in by people who are clearly better players than me, because I don't shield enough, and I don't have a complete understanding of air attacks yet. I smash and dash attack way too much. But I still do it without thinking. Weeding these bad habits out is very difficult to do sometimes.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I know that feeling and my win rate is far worse. I stomp a simple noob and then the next person that shows up shows how predictable I am and all of my bad habits. I can't even hit anyone in the air right thanks to timing. All I can do is work on it.

Steelmullet

Smash Apprentice
Let's see. For Glory frustrations. Constant rolling, lots of dash attacks followed by mashed A so you can't punish with a throw because of the lag, Bowsers going for nothing but command throws and butt slams the whole time, every fire emblem character shulk, lucario, and little mac spamming counter, people mashing air dodge and ground dodge, Bowser Jrs, Little Macs, Duck Hunts, Sonics, and to top it all off, the lag, which makes everything I've mentioned before even harder to deal with. Offline I can deal with all this stuff easily, online it's a different story. I'm a reaction based player, and I don't mash, and it's difficult to react to something when it takes almost an entire second for the game to recognize your inputs because of the lag. FG has been a generally painful experience so far. I have much more fun running sets with people I know who actually know how to play the game correctly.

It's also funny when you play a decent player in FG and you're beating them, and after about 3 matches of you winning with a decent connection they immediately switch to Little Mac or Bowser Jr. and decide to go dumb, and the previously smooth connection suddenly gets extremely laggy, at least for you.
THIS! All of this plus so much more! I thought I was going crazy. I admit there are some good players but I can't do a thing regardless with lag present online.

FG mode has only been fun in team or 4vs4 for me. Had 2 really good 1vs1 matches but that was it outta hundreds.

I like when you start winning or making a comeback and a perfectly lag free match goes bonkers laggy for no reason. Guess what? I lose every time it happens. Sucks. My favorite is the disappearing recovery. "I'm sure I used my UP B move," I say to myself as I plumet to my doom.

I call it the lag switch. Someone goes, "Oh hey, you wanna play for serious eh? Well, how about this. Take lag you *******!"

And it may be that I'm just frustrated but they don't seem to be affected at all by it...

Top Bottom